Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you miss the pub?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

joeguevara wrote: »
    You don’t think police should investigate hate speech?

Not on the internet. They should investigate real crime not virtual crime

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

GT89 wrote: »
    Not on the internet. They should investigate real crime not virtual crime

So cyber crime is not a crime in your opinion, hacking isn’t a crime so if I hacked your bank account and took your money, that’s fine by you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s not dissenting voices as to what the government want that worries me, it’s dissenting voices against what the medical people want and NEED... in order to keep things suppressed, in order to keep the patient loads manageable, in order that doctors, consultants, nurses, carers and indeed ALL hospital staff can do their jobs, help and treat as many people as possible... people not just with covid but the variety of medical conditions both serious and not so.

People daily are being still diagnosed daily with cancer, heart issues, brain conditions / injuries... there are car crashes, assaults... and then Covid on top... if the heath system crashes, so does social everything... we need a full on full blown attack on covid, do we need to sacrifice temporarily elements of our lives and make adjustments so be it.

do we need to sacrifice temporarily elements of our lives and make adjustments so be it

Above and beyond what we have done? IMO society will crumble teachers wont teach nurses wont nurse a million on Govt handouts how long can that last? Masks for how long? 2021/2022 ..Meat will be off the menu ..this is what Greta wanted and who know maybe it will save the world in the long run .

So cyber crime is not a crime in your opinion, hacking isn’t a crime so if I hacked your bank account and took your money, that’s fine by you?

Whataboutery

do we need to sacrifice temporarily elements of our lives and make adjustments so be it

Above and beyond what we have done? IMO society will crumble teachers wont teach nurses wont nurse a million on Govt handouts how long can that last? Masks for how long? 2021/2022 ..Meat will be off the menu ..this is what Greta wanted and who know maybe it will save the world in the long run .

Society has not crumbled in Swedeen despkte not having a lockdown or masks. Society will not crumble

• Advertisement

Whataboutery

No, it’s exactly what you said. You said virtual crime should not be investigated. I gave you an example to show how ridiculous it is what you are saying, and true to form you use a deflection.

No, it’s exactly what you said. You said virtual crime should not be investigated. I gave you an example to show how ridiculous it is what you are saying, and true to form you use a deflection.

Hacking effects people in real life such as having your bank account cleaned out, mean tweets do not. If you don't like mean tweets either grow a thicker skin or stay off twitter.

Hacking effects people in real life such as having your bank account cleaned out, mean tweets do not. If you don't like mean tweets either grow a thicker skin or stay off twitter.

But you cry like a b1tch when someone told you to wear a mask. Are you a teenager?

Actually I apologise for this post. You were entitled to feel bad if someone was inappropriate in your workplace.

But you cry like a b1tch when someone told you to wear a mask.

This is an online forum where people can vent their anger, frustration and voice an opinion. If it happened me outside of work I would have told the person to eff off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

This is an online where people can vent their anger, frustration and voice an opinion. If it happened me outside of work I would have told the person to eff off.

I think it might be better for you to move to Twitter if you are looking for an echo chamber and disregard detate.

If you want to actually have a discussion on a forum where your views\stances will be challenged this is probably not the best place.

Chatting through your arse mate. I want my tax money spent on investigating real crime not mean tweets. Do you think having the gardai investigate mean tweets is a good use of Garda resources?

I apologised for previous post as I wouldn’t want to be spoken to in an inappropriate way in the workplace.

Hate speech are not mean tweets.

Also cyber bullying can lead to suicide and yes I think constant harassment where it deeply effects someone should be investigated. But this is probably going off topic.

I apologised for previous post as I wouldn’t want to be spoken to in an inappropriate way in the workplace.

Apology accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

The dominoes have yet to fall but they will.

Succinct and to the point, the arse will fall out of a lot of things in the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

In dun laoghaire at least two gardai in the three pubs open every day. Usually the same ones but there are a different squad come in once a week.

Do they walk from the station to the 3 pubs?? Crime must be non-existent in DL if they can spare that manpower every day.

Do they walk from the station to the 3 pubs?? Crime must be non-existent in DL if they can spare that manpower every day.

It takes 15 minutes to walk from Buck Mulligans to Mc Laughlins and they are already out on their beat. Beat Gardai are different to response Gardai. Im not sure you really know how it works. And there are alot more than 2 Gardai in the borough.

My account was hacked and money stolen. I didn't contact the police. I contacted my bank who refunded me. I'd no contact at all with the Gardai over it.

It takes 15 minutes to walk from Buck Mulligans to Mc Laughlins and they are already out on their beat. Beat Gardai are different to response Gardai. Im not sure you really know how it works. And there are alot more than 2 Gardai in the borough.

I don't unfortunately. I live in an area that was literally abandoned by the Gardai during the recession due to govt decisions. We have a newly renovated station the last 6+ months though, no Gardai yet, but the empty station looks fab.

My account was hacked and money stolen. I didn't contact the police. I contacted my bank who refunded me. I'd no contact at all with the Gardai over it.

The bank would have. Its a requirement of the bank to report every fraud and they wouldn't have been able to refund the money as part of their processes unless they did so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

So all crime must be processed in order of seriousness?

We deal with all the rape/murder, then all the theft, then all the speeding tickets, then pub rules (although I would make an exception for breaches to the pub rules due to the unprecedented global pandemic that is ongoing). You know that's not how it works.. would be great as I would be 3 penalty points better off..

What is wrong with the police showing presence? Even if it just a reminder to be mindful of the rules? You know how the Irish work, and how wonderful the people of this country are at bending rules in all sorts of ways..

• Advertisement

I had my car broken into in DL a few years ago and the Guards never arrived.

I had my car broken into in DL a few years ago and the Guards never arrived.

I had my house broken into and they did. What is your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

So those pubs eh.........

Place I’m working in is the same as before. Food not being pushed but everyone has to sign in and sit down. No wandering around.

Guards are in every day and once they see that they are happy.

I’ve said it before I don’t see why pubs that can implement proper social distancing can’t open. Especially now that they’ve to be closed at 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

kenmm wrote: »
    So all crime must be processed in order of seriousness? We deal with all the rape/murder, then all the theft, then all the speeding tickets, then pub rules (although I would make an exception for breaches to the pub rules due to the unprecedented global pandemic that is ongoing). You know that's not how it works.. would be great as I would be 3 penalty points better off..What is wrong with the police showing presence? Even if it just a reminder to be mindful of the rules? You know how the Irish work, and how wonderful the people of this country are at bending rules in all sorts of ways..

No, what is meant is that if this policy of pubs being allowed to open based on if they serve a plate of chips or not is ridiculous! It's a waste of limited Police time which can be better spent pursing serious crimes.

I've been to another EU country recently where all pubs are open, with restrictions, you can't sit at the bar and staff behind perspex screens along with increased hygiene.
    When I tell them about the €9 meal rule they look at me like I'm crazy.

So enough Nanny-State rules, look at how other EU country's handle this and learn.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    No, what is meant is that if this policy of pubs being allowed to open based on if they serve a plate of chips or not is ridiculous! It's a waste of limited Police time which can be better spent pursing serious crimes.

I've been to another EU country recently where all pubs are open, with restrictions, you can't sit at the bar and staff behind perspex screens along with increased hygiene.

So enough Nanny-State rules, look at how other EU country's handle this and learn.

Don't post lies. No pub is allowed to open that only serves a plate of chips. Why move away from facts as the rest of your post has valid points. But the food is nothing to do with staff behind perspex screens, its to do with keeping customers distanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

So we went to one of the locals yesterday for lunch. Just your standard Green King fare. 2 * beef and ale pies with accompanying pints of sprite for the princely sum of £7.64. Big thanks to the UK government for covering some of the bill, that'll make up for making an absolute balls of the situation :rolleyes:

It turns out the choice of food was misguided, trying to eat a lump of a pie in 32 degree heat was just a step too far :(

Also, it's taken a global pandemic to finally get some table service in a UK pub. None of this ordering at the bar rubbish, they've all gone and got apps in place and it results in excellent service. Some helpful old guy was asking if we'd been there before and informed that we'd have to order at the bar - he thought we were waiting for our order to be taken. The food arrived at the table before I had a chance to point to my phone.

Don't post lies. No pub is allowed to open that only serves a plate of chips. Why move away from facts as the rest of your post has valid points. But the food is nothing to do with staff behind perspex screens, its to do with keeping customers distanced.

Sorry, what lie did I post, am i wrong in saying that a €9 plate of food is needed to keep a pub open?
    Does a €9 meal keep customers distanced where it's impossible to do so without?

Sorry, what lie did I post, am i wrong in saying that a €9 plate of food is needed to keep a pub open?
    Does a €9 meal keep customers distanced where it's impossible to do so without?

You said that a plate of chips is all that is served. That is not the requirement.

Nothing is impossible to do but more likely to ensure social distancing when a timeframe is in place and a substantial meal is served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I agree, the meal part is silly. But I think the police taking a few mins to check on the rules isn't such a drain and probably provides more benefit - i.e. increased awareness about distancing etc. Without it, the rules would be bent further (Again, talking about all the rules, not just the 9euro meal BS).

I don't think the Irish have the discipline to look at other EU states.

• Advertisement

You said that a plate of chips is all that is served. That is not the requirement.
    Nothing is impossible to do but more likely to ensure social distancing when a timeframe is in place and a substantial meal is served.

Jeezus are you really picking me up on the ingredients of what constitutes the requirements?

Nothing is impossible, you're right, I have seen it in practice, no seats at the bar, plenty of outdoor seating, staff in marks/screens and increased hygiene, and if you can show me the scientific proof of where it shows that a substantial meal protects you from the Virus I will post it all over Social media and contact Sky News and make it headline news..

Advertisement