Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you miss the pub?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

kenmm wrote: »
    I agree, the meal part is silly. But I think the police taking a few mins to check on the rules isn't such a drain and probably provides more benefit - i.e. increased awareness about distancing etc. Without it, the rules would be bent further (Again, talking about all the rules, not just the 9euro meal BS).

Over 7,000 pubs spread out all over the country, how much Policing time is required to inspect them all? Basic reasoning would tell you it requires dozens of officers in each county driving around daily... What a waste would you agree?

Also the Irish are a LOT more compliant than most other EU states..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Jeezus are you really picking me up on the ingredients of what constitutes the requirements?

Nothing is impossible, you're right, I have seen it in practice, no seats at the bar, plenty of outdoor seating, staff in marks/screens and increased hygiene, and if you can show me the scientific proof of where it shows that a substantial meal protects you from the Virus I will post it all over Social media and contact Sky News and make it headline news..

You make out that the requirements are false. Firstly you exaggerate that its a plate of chips. Now you are looking for scientific proof. Read back over this thread over and over and over and over again, for explanations of why a substantial meal is there and why it is in our legislation for decades. I cannot help you if you cannot comprehend that a meal doesn't protect you from the virus, but assists in social distancing by reducing the risk of inebreiation.

I don't think Sky News would have any interest with someone who cant get facts straight or comprehend simple reasons, or maybe they would.

Over 7,000 pubs spread out all over the country, how much Policing time is required to inspect them all? Basic reasoning would tell you it requires dozens of officers in each county driving around daily... What a waste would you agree?

Also the Irish are a LOT more compliant than most other EU states..

Shock horror, police in areas where people congregate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

What a waste would you agree?

No, Clearly I wouldn't - I already stated I think the benefits of a quick check outweigh the negatives.

Also quoting 7000 pubs isn't really a useful figure to quantify wasted time. You have to define what waste is and then also calculate that time "wasted" as a proportion of the available policing time.

To the layman it might seem a waste, but when you look at it it probably isn't (especially when you consider other factors - for example the police probably already do a number of spot checks on licences premises anyway).

joeguevara wrote: »
    You make out that the requirements are false. Firstly you exaggerate that its a plate of chips. Now you are looking for scientific proof. Read back over this thread over and over and over and over again, for explanations of why a substantial meal is there and why it is in our legislation for decades. I cannot help you if you cannot comprehend that a meal doesn't protect you from the virus, but assists in social distancing by reducing the risk of inebreiation. I don't think Sky News would have any interest with someone who cant get facts straight or comprehend simple reasons, or maybe they would.

Ugh, i'm still waiting on YOU to tell me how as you brought me up on it, how scientifically speaking does a plate of chips(ok add chicken nuggets too) stop drunk people from giving others the Virus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

fin12 wrote: »
    There’s a big difference between meeting up with friend/ friends for a meal in ur local town / city but when u go away for the weekend and Are trying to organise the evening meal for a number of people in between their activities they want to do that day, it actually is quiet difficult and frustrating/ annoying. It would actually turn you off going away on staycations.

The definition of a first world problem right here.

Ugh, i'm still waiting on YOU to tell me how as you brought me up on it, how scientifically speaking does a plate of chips(ok add chicken nuggets too) stop drunk people from giving others the Virus?

As I said a substantial meal reduces the risk of someone getting drunk. Drunk people are less likely to adhere to social distancing, more likely to embrace people, speak louder which spread droplets further. Are you really not getting this.

And most pubs are actually serving a substantial meal and way more than chips and chicken nuggets, but is that what you like to eat?

No, Clearly I wouldn't - I already stated I think the benefits of a quick check outweigh the negatives.
    Also quoting 7000 pubs isn't really a useful figure to quantify wasted time. You have to define what waste is and then also calculate that time "wasted" as a proportion of the available policing time.
    To the layman it might seem a waste, but when you look at it it probably isn't (especially when you consider other factors - for example the police probably already do a number of spot checks on licences premises anyway).

No matter how you look at it, as a layman then, it is a waste of limited police time, they already burned through the annual budget on overtime for Covid policing already, €23 million this year already I believe.

And of course they do inspections based on complaints and related to licensing issues, and rightly so. But sending dozens of officers around to inspect the pizza over just isn't what their priority should be.

I think its a bit of a nonsense rule, but was made with good intentions (and a little bit of a compromise to allow some places to open).

No one ever has said anything about chips, chicken nuggets, dried out hot plate lasagne or any other food (except maybe Trump and supplements) preventing the spread of or giving immunity to the virus.

Its more of a social engineering hack to slow down the consumption of alcohol and act as a very (literally) in your face reminder that we are not living in normal times and we need to social distance etc - and not just head off for a few beers, start getting drunk, getting in other peoples faces etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

On that point lads. So between the place of work and the 4 other open pubs nearby I’d say 20-25% of customers have had meals. Not one of us have been contacted by the HSE for our contact tracing sheets.

So either the HSE doesn’t give a toss or there hasn’t been a confirmed case in 6 weeks in the pubs

• Advertisement

No matter how you look at it, as a layman then, it is a waste of limited police time, they already burned through the annual budget on overtime for Covid policing already, €23 million this year already I believe.

And of course they do inspections based on complaints and related to licensing issues, and rightly so. But sending dozens of officers around to inspect the pizza over just isn't what their priority should be.

I completely disagree - it's not "no matter how you look at it", I have outlined the way I look at it and I don't think its a waste of time. It seems you are not open to considering other views and that's fine. But it comes across like you just want a good argument.

Good day sir!

As I said a substantial meal reduces the risk of someone getting drunk. Drunk people are less likely to adhere to social distancing, more likely to embrace people, speak louder which spread droplets further. Are you really not getting this.
    And most pubs are actually serving a substantial meal and way more than chips and chicken nuggets, but is that what you like to eat?

You're still not answering what I asked you, show me the science where the meal protects you from the virus?
    Should people at house partys also introduce a *checks menu* substantial meal to protect themselves?

And you're still having a go at me for what a substantial meal is, should I get a menu out....?

I completely disagree - it's not "no matter how you look at it", I have outlined the way I look at it and I don't think its a waste of time. It seems you are not open to considering other views and that's fine. But it comes across like you just want a good argument.
    Good day sir!

Because you have no argument, it's a waste of Garda time and nanny-state-ism... Stop wasting taxpayers money and allow all pubs to open with the same level of hygiene and safety measures that other EU countries have..
    Using the pub as a scapegoat for Covid may have worked back in March when we all knew nothing about it but now we are used to all the new Covid safety measures.

You're still not answering what I asked you, show me the science where the meal protects you from the virus?
    Should people at house partys also introduce a *checks menu* substantial meal to protect themselves?

And you're still having a go at me for what a substantial meal is, should I get a menu out....?

Do you not understand what I said previoulsy? A substantial meal assists with social distancing. It doesn't offer a protection against the virus. Are you having difficulty with comprehension?

Do you not understand what I said previoulsy? A substantial meal assists with social distancing. It doesn't offer a protection against the virus. Are you having difficulty with comprehension?

I'm laughing here, the man on the telly told me a dinner keeps me safe because I need the state to tell me how to keep a 1 or 2m distance from someone.. not backed up by science but I believe him! :D

I'm laughing here, the man on the telly told me a dinner keeps me safe because I need the state to tell me how to keep a 1 or 2m distance from someone.. not backed up by science but I believe him! :D

At last, you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sorry, what lie did I post, am i wrong in saying that a €9 plate of food is needed to keep a pub open?
    Yes you are wrong, look up the existing laws for what a substantial meal is, I posted it several times & am sick of having to wipe peoples shitty holes for them, who are too lazy to look for it themselves, they have been in place for decades. Other countries have similar long standing laws. In the US loads of states have introduced laws for covid for food requirments. It is blatantly obvious why and I can only think people are trolling or complete fucking morons if it needs explaining, its been done to death.
    Does a €9 meal keep customers distanced where it's impossible to do so without?
    No, but you already know that, just as I highly suspect you know why these rules are in place here and other countries.

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes you are wrong, look up the existing laws for what a substantial meal is, I posted it several times & am sick of having to wipe peoples shitty holes for them, who are too lazy to look for it themselves, they have been in place for decades. Other countries have similar long standing laws. In the US loads of states have introduced laws for covid for food requirments. It is blatantly obvious why and I can only think people are trolling or complete fucking morons if it needs explaining, its been done to death.No, but you already know that, just as I highly suspect you know why these rules are in place here and other countries.

You sound like a very angry person, i'm still waiting to hear the science of how food protects and just having a beer is dangerous.
    I am looking up pub grub menu's also for you..

I've recently been to other countries and had my beers without meals, I've sat at bars and had my drinks also...
    When I come back to Ireland I listen to angry people tell me that I need a meal because it means I won't get infected or be infected..

You sound like a very angry person, i'm still waiting to hear the science of how food protects and just having a beer is dangerous.
    I am looking up pub grub menu's also for you..

I've recently been to other countries and had my beers without meals, I've sat at bars and had my drinks also...
    When I come back to Ireland I listen to angry people tell me that I need a meal because it means I won't get infected or be infected..

You know that if you rehash the same jokes about menus they won't get funnier. A few minutes ago you said you had been to one other EU country since pubs reopened, now its countries. At least keep your story straight. Probably never even left your front sitting room.

Ive explained why substantial meals are in place. Nothing about science or protection. Ill get you a colouring book if it helps.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's not that a meal protects you. It never was.

It's to enact a behavioural change. Treat the pub like a restaurant.

You come in, you have something to eat and drink, you go.

Restaurants turnover customers as quick as they can. Pubs will keep serving you endlessly unless you're being obnoxious or violent, or puke, or in my case have started moving about the place like a frightened daddy long legs

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Restaurants turnover customers as quick as they can. Pubs will keep serving you endlessly unless you're being obnoxious or violent, or puke, or in my case have started moving about the place like a frightened daddy long legs

I know all that, it's still not science though. And doesn't justify allowing only food pubs to open.
    My point is that I've been to pubs where you can order a pint without a meal, the only difference in one country was you had to sit at a table and couldn't sit at the bar. All other hygiene measures were the same as in food serving pubs. I felt no less safe than if I was sat with a meal, and I didn't catch the Virus.

Weepsie wrote: »

So pubs that serve food are being asked to change their ways.....which they are. But pubs that don’t serve food just get lumped in with nightclubs and late bars. That’s the bit that I cannot understand.

Give pubs that can enforce social distancing a chance. If they can’t then screw them and they should lose their license. But let them at least try

MrKingsley wrote: »
    So pubs that serve food are being asked to change their ways.....which they are. But pubs that don’t serve food just get lumped in with nightclubs and late bars. That’s the bit that I cannot understand.

Give pubs that can enforce social distancing a chance. If they can’t then screw them and they should lose their license. But let them at least try

Exactly, it really is that simple. Why the state is wasting Garda resources and keeping thousands of people dependent on the state for money is just ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Exactly, it really is that simple. Why the state is wasting Garda resources and keeping thousands of people dependent on the state for money is just ludicrous.

I feel like if a hairdressers can open up and how close they get to u, I think a pub not serving food should be given a chance. It can have the exact same restrictions, time limit , table service just no meal required. If they stick to the two hour limit, the most someone would be able to drink is about 4 pints.

I feel like if a hairdressers can open up and how close they get to u, I think a pub not serving food should be given a chance. It can have the exact same restrictions, time limit , table service just no meal required. If they stick to the two hour limit, the most someone would be able to drink is about 4 pints.

I’d say they could get through a lot more than 4 if they came with the intention of getting pissed.

But in that case it’s up to the servers to just say no

MrKingsley wrote: »
    I’d say they could get through a lot more than 4 if they came with the intention of getting pissed.

But in that case it’s up to the servers to just say no

Well table service would slow down the ordering and ya like u said if someone literally comes in downing shots and pints like there’s no tomorrow should be asked to leave and not served anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I agree, the meal part is silly. But I think the police taking a few mins to check on the rules isn't such a drain and probably provides more benefit - i.e. increased awareness about distancing etc. Without it, the rules would be bent further (Again, talking about all the rules, not just the 9euro meal BS).

I don't think the Irish have the discipline to look at other EU states.

I really really hate this sentiment that has been on boards since Covid began, so many comments looking down on Irish people, as if the rest of the world are any different.

AdamD wrote: »
    I really really hate this sentiment that has been on boards since Covid began, so many comments looking down on Irish people, as if the rest of the world are any different.

I know we have acted a hell of a lot better than the English with their massive street parties and packing out beaches. Those scenes were actually insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Biscuitus

I went to the pub last Sunday. I could barely sip my pint after such a large meal. By the time I felt like another pint I was already out the door and back home on my couch.

• Advertisement

I know we have acted a hell of a lot better than the English with their massive street parties and packing out beaches. Those scenes were actually insane.

To be fair - if you must compare to the English, you are comparing a few incidents (a few times a beach was packed out vs 10s of thousands of opportunities to do so) and this week - our numbers were still once again comparable.

Advertisement