Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you miss the pub?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

kenmm wrote: »
    To be fair - if you must compare to the English, you are comparing a few incidents (a few times a beach was packed out vs 10s of thousands of opportunities to do so) and this week - our numbers were still once again comparable.

Ive never seen 33 tonnes of rubbish dumped on an irish beach in a single weekend. 3 people also stabbed on bournemouth beach.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/bournemouth-beach-rubbish-heatwave-major-incident-a4480776.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

joeguevara wrote: »
    Ive never seen 33 tonnes of rubbish dumped on an irish beach in a single weekend. 3 people also stabbed on bournemouth beach.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/bournemouth-beach-rubbish-heatwave-major-incident-a4480776.html

No one condones that behaviour, but as I say a few! - it's not every beach and the whole country.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    You sound like a very angry person, i'm still waiting to hear the science of how food protects and just having a beer is dangerous.
    I posted links to the science before, go find them if you are genuinely interested, as I said I am sick of wiping peoples shitty arseholes who refuse to help themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Biscuitus wrote: »
    I went to the pub last Sunday. I could barely sip my pint after such a large meal. By the time I felt like another pint I was already out the door and back home on my couch.

Yep, the system works to be fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Find its best to have a light meal (cheese pizza, chowder or sandwich) if u plan on having a decent bit to drink and get value for money

More a pain in the arse is some places enforce the time limit while others don't and then the early close (some close later/earlier than others)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Publicans are ripping off customers with the prices they charge. They're a greedy lot. I rarely frequent a pub as a result. I was in Wutherspoons in Belfast and London and my god the prices are so cheap in comparison to here. Whatever about what you think about wetherspoons they are value, which I appreciate. It's about time the Irish said no I'm not paying that and voted with their feet. Somebody else asked why I had a problem with publicans and betting shops well its because I've seen time and time again certain unscrupulous business people taking advantage of vulnerable customers. This isn't from personal experience btw. At the end of the day these people couldn't care less about their customers welfare so long as they are making a profit out of them. Also it's the working classes they make the most out of as the rich are too cute to throw their money away to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

I thought I would miss the pub more but I’ve come to realize I was coding myself, nearly an effing fiver for a pint, if I had to pay that for a chicken roll I’d go ape, smelly auld toilets, lads farting in your face, a sour auld Barman after listening to a steady flow of sh1te since opening, trying to get home, can’t even have a couple of auld pints and drive, lads congregated at the door smoking fagz, the cauld, avoiding local heurs you don’t want to see, then when your in the middle of a conversation and the craic is going a kunt of a band set up in the corner and you can’t hear yourself fart, auld drunks that can’t handle their stout falling in on top of you, then you wake in the morning and you have a head on you like Donald trumps face and the day is wrote off as your fit for nothing, this covid has made me realize it was a horrid waste of time and I’m now enjoying an auld cup of tea at home of a Saturday evening and an auld film, I hope they never reopen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I thought I would miss the pub more but I’ve come to realize I was coding myself, nearly an effing fiver for a pint, if I had to pay that for a chicken roll I’d go ape, smelly auld toilets, lads farting in your face, a sour auld Barman after listening to a steady flow of sh1te since opening, trying to get home, can’t even have a couple of auld pints and drive, lads congregated at the door smoking fagz, the cauld, avoiding local heurs you don’t want to see, then when your in the middle of a conversation and the craic is going a kunt of a band set up in the corner and you can’t hear yourself fart, auld drunks that can’t handle their stout falling in on top of you, then you wake in the morning and you have a head on you like Donald trumps face and the day is wrote off as your fit for nothing, this covid has made me realize it was a horrid waste of time and I’m now enjoying an auld cup of tea at home of a Saturday evening and an auld film, I hope they never reopen

I’ve thanked that post because that’s absolutely hilarious 🤣.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Other than for the odd bit of carvery on a Sunday, I haven't been in a pub in years. The novelty wore off fairly quickly after the early 20s. The same sad eejits (characters) propping up the bar telling the same jokes (banter/craic etc) no matter what dive you go in to.

Sooner we give up this codology it will be the making of us as a people. We might actually develop a culture beyond "sure isn't it great craic getting ****faced every weekend and throwing the wages over to some ex-garda/politician/gaa player"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I don't know how they are going to manage when the night clubs open up again in a few weeks. My biggest concern is the cloakroom. I mean the HSE or NPHET had better get their act together soon, I won't be happy if I catch Covid of some young cloakroom attendant who won't wear a mask. Probably shifting half the bouncers anyway. I reckon the nightclubs won't see the end of insurance claims.

I mean what happens if I catch the virus off a bird I am shifting? Surely the nightclub has an onus of responsibility to not be letting birds in with any covid, especially the young ones, they end up shifting loads of blokes? NPHET would want to get wide to this carry on. I reckon anyone found shifting more than one person a night should be turfed out. It is disgraceful that the department of health have not thought of this already, what a shambles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I don't know how they are going to manage when the night clubs open up again in a few weeks. My biggest concern is the cloakroom. I mean the HSE or NPHET had better get their act together soon, I won't be happy if I catch Covid of some young cloakroom attendant who won't wear a mask. Probably shifting half the bouncers anyway. I reckon the nightclubs won't see the end of insurance claims.

I mean what happens if I catch the virus off a bird I am shifting? Surely the nightclub has an onus of responsibility to not be letting birds in with any covid, especially the young ones, they end up shifting loads of blokes? NPHET would want to get wide to this carry on. I reckon anyone found shifting more than one person a night should be turfed out. It is disgraceful that the department of health have not thought of this already, what a shambles.

Nightclubs won't be open for a while and I think it will be food pubs and wet pubs open til a max 11.30pm at night til the situation becomes clearer

Then again the NPHET are calling the shots and they're anti wet pubs

Have to laugh at all the posts about hating pub life and looking down at everyone who goes there. I admit they are annoying pricks in some parts and rude staff but it's a social outlet for some of which are hard working individuals just letting off a bit of steam.

Not all pub goers are ranging alcoholics and its just part and parcel of the outlet that intimate things happen/lads on the prowl

I find anti pub people are well off and stuck up who drink at home. They have no financial worries/have families/good jobs etc.

Its like going on a roller coaster if u don't want to go on it then don't, if you don't want to go to a pub then don't go

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Nightclubs won't be open for a while and I think it will be food pubs and wet pubs open til a max 11.30pm at night til the situation becomes clearer

Then again the NPHET are calling the shots and they're anti wet pubs

I think the wet pubs will adapt and start playing disco at around 8. This will allow people to meet and shift each other before 11.30pm. People looking for the shift can get very inventive, especially during a crisis like this.

I was at a house party last Saturday, it was really cool. There was about 2-3 hundred at it. The DJ was smashing it. You weren't allowed dance indoors but one bird grabbed me by the hand and dragged me upstairs to the main bedroom. There was about 30 people in it nailing lines of banger and birds sharing makeup while they were passing around bottles of Proseco. This bird said to me that I had nice eyes and started wearing the face of me. No facemask or anything, very inconsiderate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I won't be going to any pub and have a stopwatch set on me, I'll wait till things go back to normal, and if that's never then so be it, I've had my fun

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Other than for the odd bit of carvery on a Sunday, I haven't been in a pub in years. The novelty wore off fairly quickly after the early 20s. The same sad eejits (characters) propping up the bar telling the same jokes (banter/craic etc) no matter what dive you go in to.

Sooner we give up this codology it will be the making of us as a people. We might actually develop a culture beyond "sure isn't it great craic getting ****faced every weekend and throwing the wages over to some ex-garda/politician/gaa player"

Admit it, you're a ragin alco and you're bitter to the core at being completely cut from your suckling fix.

Cheer up, you can have a pint and a drop at home or out with a bite to eat you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭893bet

I didn’t miss the pub until I read this.

Sounds like a good night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Find its best to have a light meal (cheese pizza, chowder or sandwich) if u plan on having a decent bit to drink and get value for money

More a pain in the arse is some places enforce the time limit while others don't and then the early close (some close later/earlier than others)

Or just take the 9 euro hit and dont eat the food you order. Just drink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I think the wet pubs will adapt and start playing disco at around 8. This will allow people to meet and shift each other before 11.30pm. People looking for the shift can get very inventive, especially during a crisis like this.

I was at a house party last Saturday, it was really cool. There was about 2-3 hundred at it. The DJ was smashing it. You weren't allowed dance indoors but one bird grabbed me by the hand and dragged me upstairs to the main bedroom. There was about 30 people in it nailing lines of banger and birds sharing makeup while they were passing around bottles of Proseco. This bird said to me that I had nice eyes and started wearing the face of me. No facemask or anything, very inconsiderate.

Is there no Covid fan fiction forum that this lad can post his fantasies in, rather than here??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Wet pubs me bo77ix get a grip people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

joeguevara wrote: »

It’s a handful of beaches within reach of one of the most populated urban areas in Europe, where you undoubtedly have a large proportion of ne’er do wells who don’t care. It’s not representative of the whole UK, no more than balleyfermot/clondalkin is representative of the whole of Ireland. There are normal people everywhere!

AdamD wrote: »
    I really really hate this sentiment that has been on boards since Covid began, so many comments looking down on Irish people, as if the rest of the world are any different.

Nah, I've said it for years.

Ireland is a proper give an inch, take a mile sort of country. I'm actually surprised that there had been so much discipline!

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    I really really hate this sentiment that has been on boards since Covid began, so many comments looking down on Irish people, as if the rest of the world are any different.

Irish people have proven what type they are since the initial few weeks of the lockdown. Selfish and entitled.

Irish people have proven what type they are since the initial few weeks of the lockdown. Selfish and entitled.

I wouldn't go that far, not everyone is so selfish and so entitled. But as a nation there is a bit of 'chancing your luck' sort of vibe.

kenmm wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that far, not everyone is so selfish and so entitled. But as a nation there is a bit of 'chancing your luck' sort of vibe.

Look at the uptake, or lack of, in mask wearing in the past couple of weeks. That says enough about how selfish people in general are.
    That’s before you get to the howling about pubs, leaving every beauty spot in the country wrecked with their ****e, blocking roads with cars because they want to get a selfie up a hill, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Look at the uptake, or lack of, in mask wearing in the past couple of weeks. That says enough about how selfish people in general are.
    That’s before you get to the howling about pubs, leaving every beauty spot in the country wrecked with their ****e, blocking roads with cars because they want to get a selfie up a hill, etc.

Do any of your posts ever praise the people who do what they are asked? Nearly all of your posts on this forum are hysterical, with a constant focus on those who don't abide, rather than those that do. It's not good for your head to focus on all the negatives aspects and not the positive, but at this stage I think people like yourself like being wound up.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Do any of your post ever praise the people who do what they are asked? Nearly all of your posts on this forum are hysterical, with a constant focus on those who don't abide, rather than those that do. It's not good for your head to focus on all the negatives aspects and not the positive, but at this stage I think people like yourself like being wound up.

Following laws and regulations should be a basic minimum requirement so doesn’t warrant praise.

Do you think all the above is acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Every shop I go to has full compliance with masks, dunno where you're living. Doubt you've been outside the country if you think Irish people are uniquely selfish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

It’s a handful of beaches within reach of one of the most populated urban areas in Europe, where you undoubtedly have a large proportion of ne’er do wells who don’t care. It’s not representative of the whole UK, no more than balleyfermot/clondalkin is representative of the whole of Ireland. There are normal people everywhere!

I wonder will the Spanish resorts who usually host them want them back next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Without doubt the funnest post on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

You're still not answering what I asked you, show me the science where the meal protects you from the virus?
    Should people at house partys also introduce a *checks menu* substantial meal to protect themselves?

And you're still having a go at me for what a substantial meal is, should I get a menu out....?

You're seriously flogging this stupid argument at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Jeezus are you really picking me up on the ingredients of what constitutes the requirements?

Nothing is impossible, you're right, I have seen it in practice, no seats at the bar, plenty of outdoor seating, staff in marks/screens and increased hygiene, and if you can show me the scientific proof of where it shows that a substantial meal protects you from the Virus I will post it all over Social media and contact Sky News and make it headline news..

Why are people constantly saying this?

That's not what the meal is about.

All pubs where closed at first, simple. Then from June restaurants could open.
    Vintners kicked up a fuss and said we serve food too.

So it was decided that pubs could open as restaurants. So they had to serve a meal as that's what restaurants do. €9 was picked as an arbitrary price to rule out crisps and peanuts counting as a meal.
    A time limit was also picked to rule out people just sitting there skulling pints.

At no point was it ever argued that the meal prevents the virus or adds protection or slows down drinking. It's just that when you go to a pub now you're technically going to a restaurant not a pub.

It's very simple really but many people just seem to not get it or refuse to do so.

Advertisement