Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you miss the pub?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why are people constantly saying this?

That's not what the meal is about.

All pubs where closed at first, simple. Then from June restaurants could open.
    Vintners kicked up a fuss and said we serve food too.

So it was decided that pubs could open as restaurants. So they had to serve a meal as that's what restaurants do. €9 was picked as an arbitrary price to rule out crisps and peanuts counting as a meal.
    A time limit was also picked to rule out people just sitting there skulling pints.

At no point was it ever argued that the meal prevents the virus or adds protection or slows down drinking. It's just that when you go to a pub now you're technically going to a restaurant not a pub.

It's very simple really but many people just seem to not get it or refuse to do so.

And the reason why restaurants are allowed to open is that social distancing is easier to maintain and less likely to be drunk.

One thing that is incorrect in your post, is the 9euro being an arbitrary number. It is a legislated amount in restaurant legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Why are people constantly saying this?That's not what the meal is about.All pubs where closed at first, simple. Then from June restaurants could open. Vintners kicked up a fuss and said we serve food too.So it was decided that pubs could open as restaurants. So they had to serve a meal as that's what restaurants do. €9 was picked as an arbitrary price to rule out crisps and peanuts counting as a meal.A time limit was also picked to rule out people just sitting there skulling pints. At no point was it ever argued that the meal prevents the virus or adds protection or slows down drinking. It's just that when you go to a pub now you're technically going to a restaurant not a pub. It's very simple really but many people just seem to not get it or refuse to do so.

At least there's an admittance that there's no basis in science in keeping a pub serving drinks only with table service and additional hygiene safety measures closed and a pub serving drinks and chips/chicken nuggets with table service and additional hygiene safety measures open.

So open them up with all the measures pubs serving food have show to work and not put the public at risk of catching Covid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    At least there's an admittance that there's no basis in science in keeping a pub serving drinks only with table service and additional hygiene safety measures closed and a pub serving drinks and chips/chicken nuggets with table service and additional hygiene safety measures open.

So open them up with all the measures pubs serving food have show to work and not put the public at risk of catching Covid.

You really are deliberately choosing to ignore the reasons for why food is a requirement? Is it a troll or an argument you want?

The science has (for decades) shown that alcohol consumption with a meal is slower. Do you really want someone to google some "scientific" articles for you?

That is why a meal is required as keeping people from being less pissed reduces potential for more risky interactions. It is not *just* the table service and the keeping away from the bar.

Unfortunately, that does mean those that want to go for a social 'one or two' will suffer - but that's the country we live in - there is no way they could open up all pubs and not have a certain amount (too many) people just getting stuck in and getting drunk, quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

If only the virus had the same effect on all and didn't just effect the vulnerable disproportionately, we could open all the bloody pubs and let Darwinism take its course. €9 meal be damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Why are people constantly saying this?

That's not what the meal is about.

All pubs where closed at first, simple. Then from June restaurants could open.
    Vintners kicked up a fuss and said we serve food too.

So it was decided that pubs could open as restaurants. So they had to serve a meal as that's what restaurants do. €9 was picked as an arbitrary price to rule out crisps and peanuts counting as a meal.
    A time limit was also picked to rule out people just sitting there skulling pints.

At no point was it ever argued that the meal prevents the virus or adds protection or slows down drinking. It's just that when you go to a pub now you're technically going to a restaurant not a pub.

It's very simple really but many people just seem to not get it or refuse to do so.

That's how we got to the situation we currently have, it doesn't however make the outcome any more logical. Currently pubs who can partner with a chipper are able to open, pubs who can't are not. You can justify how we got here, but the situation is laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Heckler

Pre the virus I probably went to the pub maybe twice a month. Did my drinking elsewhere so didn't really miss it much at all. Got a call from a friend last night that theres a table booked for tonight for 5 or 6 if I wanted to go along. (Cork city).

I'll head in along mainly to see friends I haven't seen in a while but also curious to see how the atmosphere etc is. Early table booked so I'm guessing we'll be chucked out if someone else has a later booking. Its going to be interesting if nothing else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Got out of the shower tonight to see that the beer belly I have spent €1000s of euros and years profecting nearly non existent. I can see himself and all the way down to my toes.

I’ll have to start wearing baggy clothes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Heckler wrote: »
    Pre the virus I probably went to the pub maybe twice a month. Did my drinking elsewhere so didn't really miss it much at all. Got a call from a friend last night that theres a table booked for tonight for 5 or 6 if I wanted to go along. (Cork city).

I'll head in along mainly to see friends I haven't seen in a while but also curious to see how the atmosphere etc is. Early table booked so I'm guessing we'll be chucked out if someone else has a later booking. Its going to be interesting if nothing else.

Remember to wear a mask.

Jesus its odd seeing pubs full in TV/Films and people shaking hands etc

God I miss the normal night out, at least its somewhat normal if they extend the close to midnight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Polar101

Would you go for a pint at the Covid-19 pub? Now you can, in Finland.

Oulu bar changes name to Covid-19
    The owner says the name change has divided opinion among customers.
    https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/oulu_bar_changes_name_to_covid-19/11495536

39-7085255f369d63b3e4b

Polar101 wrote: »
    Would you go for a pint at the Covid-19 pub? Now you can, in Finland.

Oulu bar changes name to Covid-19
    The owner says the name change has divided opinion among customers.
    https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/oulu_bar_changes_name_to_covid-19/11495536

39-7085255f369d63b3e4b

I'd say they serve corona on draught.

Funniest thing ever and sounds like a good few posters

https://www.facebook.com/646143924/posts/10157782510438925/

joeguevara wrote: »
    Funniest thing ever and sounds like a good few posters

https://www.facebook.com/646143924/posts/10157782510438925/

Sums it up. Bit like D'Unbelieveables.

saabsaab wrote: »
    Sums it up. Bit like D'Unbelieveables.

A simple ould salad

https://youtu.be/PVPSizAcqeA

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Already 1 week in signals from government and restaurant associations that the 11pm curfew will be exteneded to midnight.

Already 1 week in signals from government and restaurant associations that the 11pm curfew will be exteneded to midnight.

Think its a good call for the short term and closet to 'normal night out' we will get

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Think its a good call for the short term and closet to 'normal night out' we will get

And on the same night Gardai in the North West region raise the issue of increased house parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It really does prove that they are just making this up as they go along!
    The move would be aimed at discouraging people from having house parties and instead spend time in regulated licensed settings such as pubs.
    Oh I thought it was restaurants that were only allowed to open?
    "We don't want people spending hours in restaurants and gastropubs late into the night," a government source said.

"At the same time, we do not want to displace people from these settings to house parties and after parties. It's not an exact science."

It's not science at all!

They could have opened the Pubs and prevented the 1000's of house parties all over the country where you can load up on €1 bottles of Heino and a bottle of Vodka for the price of 2 pub measures... Packed House parties where social distancing and additional hygiene aren't even an afterthought....

So open the pubs, table service and facemasks...!

(and no condescending Pr**ks telling me how food stops alcohol from making people give each other Covid)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Who's the quote from, Varadkar? Remember Martin said at the last press briefing that there's no evidence house parties would stop if pubs were opened.

That's only 11 days ago...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

For all the bitching and whining about house parties I don't see any " spikes " arriving in the daily statistics. I couldn't sleep last night thinking about it.

Then it dawned on me. It must be the same 2 or 3 hundred people ( who are all really inconsiderate hedonists btw and should ashamed of themselves ) , who are partying. Bastards.

Who's the quote from, Varadkar? Remember Martin said at the last press briefing that there's no evidence house parties would stop if pubs were opened.

That's only 11 days ago...

He hinted at it yesterday.

Independent running a story on it today, sounds like the usual government sources leak before it actually happens.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/pub-hours-may-be-extended-in-bid-to-halt-covid-house-parties-and-spread-of-virus-39451414.html

Is an extra hour going to change a thing regarding parties?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    For all the bitching and whining about house parties I don't see any " spikes " arriving in the daily statistics. I couldn't sleep last night thinking about it.

Then it dawned on me. It must be the same 2 or 3 hundred people ( who are all really inconsiderate hedonists btw and should ashamed of themselves ) , who are partying. Bastards.

It'll be like Sodom and Gomorrah they'll **** each other out of existence.

I was in a lovely spot in Clare yesterday evening and there was a shower of middle class **** from a county we'll not expose due to people taking it as a personal dig and we'll have a crisis in our midst.

I pulled up at around 9pm and parked my car, got kitted out for fishing, went off into the distance spent 3 hour's fishing came back to a load of plebs wasted Fiacras and Rósíne type's.
    Anyhow the knuts had a picnic in a beautiful spot, and left all their rubbish there.
    Usual gimps with poshy accents and probably lacking any life skills or respect for the West of Ireland.

I decided to check the location and the knuts left all their sh17 behind... this morning
    Dirty bstrds, knuts..

I should have brought down my wheel barrow and filled it and tossed it into their tents, I'll check later to see if they came back in the meantime and cleaned up, give them the benefit of doubt like

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

On my way to my local now, no time limit or food required unless a guard walks in,

On my way to my local now, no time limit or food required unless a guard walks in,

Do the right thing and report them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sat in a resident's lounge last night few pints nah didn't miss the pub at all to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

House party will probably start an hour later tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Probably not if people are obliged to have a meal when they go in.

Opening the rest of the pubs wouldn't eradicate them altogether, but I think it would reduce them. Though ultimately with colleges going back they can forget about keeping a handle on house parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

nthclare wrote: »
    It'll be like Sodom and Gomorrah they'll **** each other out of existence.

I was in a lovely spot in Clare yesterday evening and there was a shower of middle class **** from a county we'll not expose due to people taking it as a personal dig and we'll have a crisis in our midst.

I pulled up at around 9pm and parked my car, got kitted out for fishing, went off into the distance spent 3 hour's fishing came back to a load of plebs wasted Fiacras and Rósíne type's.
    Anyhow the knuts had a picnic in a beautiful spot, and left all their rubbish there.
    Usual gimps with poshy accents and probably lacking any life skills or respect for the West of Ireland.

I decided to check the location and the knuts left all their sh17 behind... this morning
    Dirty bstrds, knuts..

I should have brought down my wheel barrow and filled it and tossed it into their tents, I'll check later to see if they came back in the meantime and cleaned up, give them the benefit of doubt like

Wait, it's the middle class that's partying away? I thought it was the middle class losing their sh1t over how "selfish" people are being.

It's the type of finger pointing the government will lap up. Divide and conquer.

Advertisement