Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you miss the pub?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i see absolutlely no difference than some pubs i go to, 4 or 5 people and barman , sit thier chatting looking at the news on telly or reading the paper. sometimes your at least 2 meteres from anyone , surely these pubs are grand to open even within the next month? i have a feeling the government mau let pubs open and put all the restrictions in place, it will impossible for some to do and will promptly have to close but many rural ones like im mentioned will have to very little if theres no crowd much

What do you honestly think will happen if certain pubs are allowed open but others are not? Do you really think it will just be you and your 4 mates sitting at the bar?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Don't forget the pretentious over priced half caff mocha choco lattes with almond milk.

Boozers have become very sloppy on this particular offer.

I always wondered why you don't get free scampi fries as opposed to a cinnamon shortbread biscuit wrapped in plastic?

Do communal newspapers carry germs? It is the million dollar question these days?

LMAO it's just a different buzz. It's actually more for people who like a drink but just want to go for a chinwag in a more casual one to one type environment.

I call chinwags "arguments" or "verbals", any discussions devoid of the assistance of a glass of whiskey you will find are drab affairs. You do enough "chinwagging" at work I would imagine, keep it simple.

I generally just agree with coffee drinkers and offer a nice camouflaged patronising smile, followed by a simple compliment. It saves me time and hassle. It works for me thank you.

i see absolutlely no difference than some pubs i go to, 4 or 5 people and barman , sit thier chatting looking at the news on telly or reading the paper. sometimes your at least 2 meteres from anyone , surely these pubs are grand to open even within the next month? i have a feeling the government mau let pubs open and put all the restrictions in place, it will impossible for some to do and will promptly have to close but many rural ones like im mentioned will have to very little if theres no crowd much

Quiet boozers are fine at the outset. But there is no specification on a license to say this pub is licenced to sell alcohol " on a quiet basis" , it doesn't work that way. I mean Dicey's is very quiet at 3 o'clock on a Tuesday afternoon, but by 7.30 it is crawling with pick up artists and sex addicts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Quiet boozers are fine at the outset. But there is no specification on a license to say this pub is licenced to sell alcohol " on a quiet basis" , it doesn't work that way. I mean Dicey's is very quiet at 3 o'clock on a Tuesday afternoon, but by 7.30 it is crawling with pick up artists and sex addicts.

Yes I'd be worried that the quiet rural pub with just a few lads keeping apart will get swamped by city types swamping it. Could be done but a lot of changes needed to the regular situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

We could let the townies have a go at the cow tipping. :D

saabsaab wrote: »
    Yes I'd be worried that the quiet rural pub with just a few lads keeping apart will get swamped by city types swamping it. Could be done but a lot of changes needed to the regular situation.

I wouldn't overestimate "city types", we are not that desperate.

We are all selling our holiday homes now as well, it is all over. Atlantic pubs are doomed, foreigners only eat chowder and sup on a glass of porter and take pictures. They can't even talk shight, god bless them.

I wouldn't overestimate "city types", we are not that desperate.

We are all selling our holiday homes now as well, it is all over. Atlantic pubs are doomed, foreigners only eat chowder and sup on a glass of porter and take pictures. They can't even talk shight, god bless them.

If they all decide to sell the little home in the west the prices will fall to rock bottom so I don't see that happening in a big way. Right about the tourists most of them have one or two at most no profit in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Be interested in seeing when restaurants and cafes reopen will they class gastro pub as a restaurant.

I would like to see the legal definitions. I remember when eddie rockets started serving beer it had to have a "substantial meal", not sure if there was any sort of cap on the amount after that.

I wonder how the cap would work, 1 bottle per person at a table max? or what? people get tanked up beforehand it they wanted to treat it like a pub. I know people who did treat BYOB restaurants like they were sort of pubs, drinking loads more than usual.

Would the cap be based on units of alcohol or what? you could not say 4 bottles of beer, or it would be 660ml bottles of absolute rocketfuel.
    The LVA said that, in the event the Government permits restaurants to reopen only on condition that their sale of alcoholic drinks is capped or prohibited, pubs would not rule out reopening under those conditions. But publicans would view such restrictions as unfair and not financially feasible.

Pubs were never forced to close on good friday, the lep inn was one I know of that opened and did not serve alcohol. People would be smuggling booze in too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Well, now we know that pubs are part of the fifth and final phase of reduced restrictions. Phase five is currently scheduled for 10 August but that doesn't factor in a "second wave" of covid. So while the schedule is highly unlikely to be brought forward, its pretty likely to slip back further in the year.

It'll be an unusual summer without trips to the pub. But, at least we know.

I wonder if pubs will have to shift to a more restaurant style set up. Strict number of seats, maybe even booking a table.

It will certainly be a long time, if ever, before the previous days of standing room only.

The main issue is that the product they sell is actually designed to lower social distancing so by it's very nature it is fighting against it very purpose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I wonder if pubs will have to shift to a more restaurant style set up. Strict number of seats, maybe even booking a table.

It will certainly be a long time, if ever, before the previous days of standing room only.

The main issue is that the product they sell is actually designed to lower social distancing so by it's very nature it is fighting against it very purpose

This would actually make pubs a pleasant place to go. No scrums for a drink, less fire hazard potential.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I'd say there will need to be a complete rethink of the whole pub service. For example, loud music means people tend to lean in close to hear each other. And that adds to the collegiate atmosphere in the pub.

Like you said, there might be table service and strict Control over the number of people allowed in. It will be much more about the business opening, to keep ticking over, so they don't go bust. It really won't be about going back to the way pubs were before the virus. Standing room only in pubs won't happen again until there's herd Immunity

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

No harm in getting rid of loud music anyway; that'd be a positive if that went!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

cdeb wrote: »
    No harm in getting rid of loud music anyway; that'd be a positive if that went!

positive for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

When they re open most certainly won't be allowed operate as before. Seats screens, disinfectant sprays etc. Toilet queue systems. Some smaller pubs that adapt may work out ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I miss the pub but I wouldn't be at all pushed going back there under those conditions. You'd be better off at home than under those sanitised atmosphere bereft restrictions. It'd be like having a pint in a GP's waiting room. Granted some people might actually prefer it that way but not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

elperello wrote: »

Think I'll wait till there is a vaccine before going back, might as well be drinking at home as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Think I'll wait till there is a vaccine before going back, might as well be drinking at home as that.

You'll be waiting a while so.

I'll be supporting my local if they open back up under these conditions. All local lads with families to support so I'll happily go in for a meal and a few drinks.

If I'm out with friends we would be sitting at a table anyway and usually order rounds through lounge staff anyway so not much difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Terrible plan imo. Totally aimed at the bigger pub's of Dublin city, cork etc. The ones that I think are generally devoid of atmosphere. The small rural Irish pub that I love could not cope with those measures so would have to stay closed. The future is bleak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

In a rural pub, would a hang sangwich count as a meal? How about peanuts?

Not your ornery onager

If we have enough freedom to go the pub under those conditions then I'd probably just go around to one of the lad's house for a BBQ and a few drinks. It really doesn't look worth it if all those restrictions are in place.

Fair play, the pubs will want to get back open and doing some business. I doubt I'll spend much time there under those conditions. It doesn't really sound like much fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

every pub basically has to re-open as a wetherspoons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

True and that's an absolutely horrendous vista going forward.

Yeah that's not it at all. Spoons get very busy. The proposals are to have the patrons spaces out. Why do you think that's like Spoons?

Terrible plan imo. Totally aimed at the bigger pub's of Dublin city, cork etc. The ones that I think are generally devoid of atmosphere. The small rural Irish pub that I love could not cope with those measures so would have to stay closed. The future is bleak

Your jumping the gun, in fact you have actually missed the starters pistol.

The VFI releasing the document is a PR exercise. It shows publicans that they are trying and it also shows the gubberment they mean business. As a diplomatic instrument it also allows the gubberment to rebuke something or gives them something to appease the cranks and buzz killers with. It is actually a fantastic document and it sets the reopening wheels in motion.

I can see thoughtful publicans installing a disco ball for Saturday nights, their time is nigh. Every pub in the country now has never had a better opportunity to install a dancing section for Friday and Saturday night frolicking. It will help to shore up the night club deficit, people still need to dance and drink and screw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Could the pubs be allowed to open up on a part time basis maybe from Thursday to Saturday starting off. Let them implement their measures. If there's any bollockery close them down again until the last stage of the plan.

I don't know how it would work for clubs, with like loud music and dance floors.

I think another thing to implement would be turning people away who show signs of sickness like turning people away with coughs.

Beer gardens can get packed, so they will have to be controlled too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

For some of the more traditional pubs in Dublin City Centre, the likes of the Place Bar, Bowes, Mulligans etc, those proposals are virtually unworkable

Yeah that's not it at all. Spoons get very busy. The proposals are to have the patrons spaces out. Why do you think that's like Spoons?

table service, no live music, spaced out. Its like spoons on a quiet day then, but basically all the things that often separate spoons from a typical Irish pub can no longer happen.

I say this as somebody who actually quite enjoys spoons especially during bog ball season, get away from the absolute animals jumping around like it was their own son had swung the hurl the right way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

ShyMets wrote: »
    For some of the more traditional pubs in Dublin City Centre, the likes of the Place Bar, Bowes, Mulligans etc, those proposals are virtually unworkable

A lot of the pubs near me these measures wont work either, cant see it working in any rural pubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

For every bar in the city centre that does be packed during the weekend, rural bars would have no issue with social distancing. Certainly the ones near me anyway.

Heck, Saturday nights are the only night of the week where you'd expect a busy crowd down my neck of the woods, and even then it depends where you are and what time of the year it is. I have been for pints on Friday and Sunday nights in Gorey where it would be quiet (compared to the larger towns), while I could go to the rural pub a five minute walk from the GF's for a soccer game of a Saturday and there might be ten in the place. People just seem to drink in pubs less these days.

I think its worth bearing in mind that while social distancing practices will be required in heavily populated areas, for most rural pubs I don't see it as an issue. Apart from perhaps a surge of lads down from the mountains on the first day of re-opening after been cooped up for the last couple of months.

A lot of the pubs near me these measures wont work either, cant see it working in any rural pubs

I think this is where those pubs that invested in giant beer gardens are going to reap rewards, I can see how this would never work in say donny & nesbits but toners down the road has that giant area out the back and they'd still keep 80-100 people without breaking the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

If pubs do open up earlier than the last step, wouldn't staff have to be trained up on some sort of infection control within a pub setting.

Like if there's table service, staff would have to wash their hands between tables in case a person at a table is infected and the staff carries virus from table to table. To minimise transmission.

I used to see pub staff picking up glasses from the tables from the rim of glasses. That will have to stop. Handwashing will have to happen between dirty jobs and clean jobs.

The Jack's in some pubs can be brutal. I don't know how that can be fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

People still talking about pubs putting in measures for social distancing, you have to laugh really.

Public houses and social distancing are incompatible. Drunk people and social distancing are incompatible. Any measures put in place will be lip service only, nothing but boondoggles and anybody seriously discussing them can't see the wood for the trees.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

You'll be booking a table two weeks in advance.
    Ooooo......it'll be like going to a Michelin Starred restaurant.

"Table 11 near the window please"
    Ooooo.....taken, 2 months wait for that one.

:D:D:D

owlbethere wrote: »
    Could the pubs be allowed to open up on a part time basis maybe from Thursday to Saturday starting off. Let them implement their measures. If there's any bollockery close them down again until the last stage of the plan.

I don't know how it would work for clubs, with like loud music and dance floors.

I think another thing to implement would be turning people away who show signs of sickness like turning people away with coughs.

Beer gardens can get packed, so they will have to be controlled too.

Not really possible. It would be better to not open them than open them and close them again because you judge some people in some pubs to not be behaving. The pubs who are punished would kick up a stink and the main reason the whole thing has worked so far is because people have driven the restrictions.

If in doubt, don't open the pubs. there are loads of much more essential businesses and ones that generate more economic activity, than pubs. I'd say they should assume people will be most relaxed and least observant of social distancing, in pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

meh at least its a start but cant see it working that well

People who generally go for a pint alone will be instantly disqualifed as they could really stick out as being the loner

Pub crawls and the likes are not possible in this sanario

Its going to be a pain in the hole to try and enjoy yourselve. No music will make everywhere like a Wetherspoons

It might be not possible for pubs to operate in a different way from what they have been doing in the past

owlbethere wrote: »
    If pubs do open up earlier than the last step, wouldn't staff have to be trained up on some sort of infection control within a pub setting.

Like if there's table service, staff would have to wash their hands between tables in case a person at a table is infected and the staff carries virus from table to table. To minimise transmission.

I used to see pub staff picking up glasses from the tables from the rim of glasses. That will have to stop. Handwashing will have to happen between dirty jobs and clean jobs.

The Jack's in some pubs can be brutal. I don't know how that can be fixed.

Being a former professional drinker I refuse to drink in establishments where hygiene is not prioritised. If I see or witness a clatty jacks I have no problem letting the barman or bossman or both know what I think about it.

If I thought for a second that barstaff were dirty chunts either I would let them know. As a former bar person I also know that most bar staff do not need lessons in proper hygiene, they would put your average office worker to shame.

That's right, you are far more likely to catch the virus from your filthy boss after he wipes in hands in this chinos than you are going to get it from bar or lounge staff. Put it this way, they are the ones on the front line, they don't want to be catching the virus off dirty customers either.

• Advertisement

Your jumping the gun, in fact you have actually missed the starters pistol.

The VFI releasing the document is a PR exercise. It shows publicans that they are trying and it also shows the gubberment they mean business. As a diplomatic instrument it also allows the gubberment to rebuke something or gives them something to appease the cranks and buzz killers with. It is actually a fantastic document and it sets the reopening wheels in motion.

I can see thoughtful publicans installing a disco ball for Saturday nights, their time is nigh. Every pub in the country now has never had a better opportunity to install a dancing section for Friday and Saturday night frolicking. It will help to shore up the night club deficit, people still need to dance and drink and screw.

In my local? At the same time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

For every bar in the city centre that does be packed during the weekend, rural bars would have no issue with social distancing. Certainly the ones near me anyway.

Heck, Saturday nights are the only night of the week where you'd expect a busy crowd down my neck of the woods, and even then it depends where you are and what time of the year it is. I have been for pints on Friday and Sunday nights in Gorey where it would be quiet (compared to the larger towns), while I could go to the rural pub a five minute walk from the GF's for a soccer game of a Saturday and there might be ten in the place. People just seem to drink in pubs less these days.

I think its worth bearing in mind that while social distancing practices will be required in heavily populated areas, for most rural pubs I don't see it as an issue. Apart from perhaps a surge of lads down from the mountains on the first day of re-opening after been cooped up for the last couple of months.

yeah , this is what a lot of people on here just dont understand , vast mahority of pubs in rural towns and villages this will not come up as a problem, id say in most small towns there is only 1 busy pub catering younger crowd that this will crop up as an issue. the other pubs midweek would have maybe 8 people max of a night all at one time inusually big lumps of bars maybe with a louunge long closed up from 80s. people aged 18-28 simply will not go near this pubs even if they were open tonight to be honest in vast majority of cases. the bar owners and staff of these places will usually just literally tell them piss off were full anyway of a normal evening ! i for one will have a huge selection of pubs to go to where there will be abolutley no change. i told you about the pub i go for good political debate someetimes? 75% of time you walk in the bar 9pm on a saturday and its empty perhaps 2 people, the owner is in the living room off the bar having a cup of tea and talks out to you , you might have to wait 10 mins to be served!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

In my local? At the same time?

"And then dance and drink and screw
    Because there's nothing else to do
    Wanna live with common people like you
    Wanna live with common people like you
    Wanna live with common people like you"

This flipping song is in my head now.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

yeah , this is what a lot of people on here just dont understand , vast mahority of pubs in rural towns and villages this will not come up as a problem, id say in most small towns there is only 1 busy pub catering younger crowd that this will crop up as an issue. the other pubs midweek would have maybe 8 people max of a night all at one time inusually big lumps of bars maybe with a louunge long closed up from 80s. people aged 18-28 simply will not go near this pubs even if they were open tonight to be honest in vast majority of cases. the bar owners and staff of these places will usually just literally tell them piss off were full anyway of a normal evening ! i for one will have a huge selection of pubs to go to where there will be abolutley no change. i told you about the pub i go for good political debate someetimes? 75% of time you walk in the bar 9pm on a saturday and its empty perhaps 2 people, the owner is in the living room off the bar having a cup of tea and talks out to you , you might have to wait 10 mins to be served!

Dickie, it's hard to tell if you're being serious or just wishful thinking. What you're describing is not a profitable business. It's hard to believe you're being completely honest and there are usually only 2 customers at the busiest time of the week AND the business owner doesn't even seem to care as they're in their living room drinking tea. My understanding is that it's difficult enough to make money in the pub business and this pub you describe, doesn't sound like it could be making money.

Even if your local is the one pub in the country that doesn't worry about profits, the rest of them do. And the scenario you're describing isn't a realistic basis on which to open up the pubs. It sounds like hyperbole, to be honest.

Most cute publicans will be investing in a Disco Ball I can imagine. In business if you cannot be the best you need to get there first.

disco-ball-multi-colored-background-bar-127474673.jpg

Roll on the pop up Disco, the new "norm" is upon us.

simmons-cocktail-bar-teapots-skull-discoball-kings-cross-london-1.jpgdisco1.jpg

The next baby boom will be huge. I would start investing in baby products now, the surge is coming. Once the new wave pop up disco is upon us the courtin and kissin and ridin that is going to be goin on will not have been seen since the 70's ( or 80's)

Hashtagdingdongthevirusisdeadthewickedoldvirusisdead

I can see IMRO making a fortune on the disco tunes till Christmas. The slow set might even get a rewind, bring it on. " Gonna write a Classic.... Gonna write it in an attic"

Dickie, it's hard to tell if you're being serious or just wishful thinking. What you're describing is not a profitable business. It's hard to believe you're being completely honest and there are usually only 2 customers at the busiest time of the week AND the business owner doesn't even seem to care as they're in their living room drinking tea. My understanding is that it's difficult enough to make money in the pub business and this pub you describe, doesn't sound like it could be making money.

Even if your local is the one pub in the country that doesn't worry about profits, the rest of them do. And the scenario you're describing isn't a realistic basis on which to open up the pubs. It sounds like hyperbole, to be honest.

To be fair though they are declining there are still a lot of pubs like that in rural areas. Max crowd about 5 or 6 unless there is a funeral.

• Advertisement

To be fair though they are declining there are still a lot of pubs like that in rural areas. Max crowd about 5 or 6 unless there is a funeral.

that's possible when the pub has no debts, its a second business in most cases.

But it is no sustainable, and if the overall pub trade declines then the likes of Diageo will be less inclined to ship product to this small premises at the current costs. The extra costs of dropping a few kegs to the small pub is not so puch when you are already supplying the other pubs around the place.

It makes a massive difference if every pub becomes a few kegs a week delivery.

So who pays that cost? THe consumer of course, so another increase in the price of drink.

If that was the case they'd have gone out of business already. The poster claimed there would be 2 customers (3 including the poster) at 9 on a Saturday. That's not real.

I come from a village with one pub, one shop and an undertaker. I know what it's like. The pub is very quite most of the time but they have to make their money some time. In reality they're very busy on the weekend nights and they do a fun event on Monday nights which is also busy.

I can think of another pub which is in the middle of nowhere and it does dancing nights during the week for the old folk.

If they didn't have some busy periods, they wouldn't be in business.

that's possible when the pub has no debts, its a second business in most cases.

But it is no sustainable, and if the overall pub trade declines then the likes of Diageo will be less inclined to ship product to this small premises at the current costs. The extra costs of dropping a few kegs to the small pub is not so puch when you are already supplying the other pubs around the place.

It makes a massive difference if every pub becomes a few kegs a week delivery.

So who pays that cost? THe consumer of course, so another increase in the price of drink.

You can be sure that Diageo will be making sure their product is getting to your glass on time. It is what they are all about.

The real victims could be the micro breweries, they need to be selling product in their infancy. The likes of Diageo, Bulmers and or Beamish will be fine. I doubt United distillers are shítting bricks either.

If anything booze will be cheaper for a while, they will be looking to move supply lines and get people back on the stool. That will involve opening new line of credit for starters. People will not forget how to drink or where they like drinking it.

If that was the case they'd have gone out of business already. The poster claimed there would be 2 customers (3 including the poster) at 9 on a Saturday. That's not real.

I come from a village with one pub, one shop and an undertaker. I know what it's like. The pub is very quite most of the time but they have to make their money some time. In reality there very busy on the weekend nights and they do a fun event on a. Monday night which is also busy.

I can think of another pub which is in the middle of nowhere and it does dancing nights during the week for the old folk.

Of they didn't have some busy periods, they wouldn't be in business.

Not a business but a way of life it seems. They don't usually outlive the current owner. They still exist, without being busy except on rare occasions. I guess they usually have other sources of income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone else find Tuesday the most grim day for the pub ???

Normally places are dead and nothing much is happening in nightclubs etc (maybe the student event your of age)

Sundays are so and so but annoying with the early close for most places

• Advertisement
Advertisement