Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you miss the pub?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

sasta le wrote: »
    How are people finding the prices?

Carlsberg in my local went up from €5 to €5.5

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

miss the music and the social side of it (even tho sometimes id drop into a pub on my own)

Nice to blow off a bit of steam and get out of the house for a while thats not work/shop/exercise

Drinking at home is just meh, grand having a few before/after a night out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Carlsberg in my local went up from €5 to €5.5

Wow big increase
    I think the price increase well put off people going forward

Was with a few younger lads that would have been the 1st gen of the home drinkers from college during lockdown they put me on Lomza Polish beer we met up fishing..and have to say i really enjoyed good beer with a good kick for 1.75 a bottle
    We fished had 4 or 5 chiiled bottles packed up gear and rubbish and home
    Have to say as a pub and club lover i enjoyed it and all that age group will be hard to get back to the pub

Wow big increase
    I think the price increase well put off people going forward

Yup. Noticed some coffee shops have upped their prices too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Was with a few younger lads that would have been the 1st gen of the home drinkers from college during lockdown they put me on Lomza Polish beer we met up fishing..and have to say i really enjoyed good beer with a good kick for 1.75 a bottle
    Have to say as a pub and club lover i enjoyed it and all that age group will be hard to get back to the pub
    There was already the pre-drinks culture among the young (and not-so-young) so does not seem a big step for them to cut out the pub entirely. It is the 35-50s that pubs/clubs should worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭satguy

My local pub have upped the price of a pint from €5.20 to €5.40 (Lager),, with the black stuff now at €4.90 .

12 cans of pils in Lidl 4.8% is €12.70 and is a nice beer,, can't help but think that a lot of pub will be in trouble,, am now starting to feel comfortable at home.

satguy wrote: »
    My local pub have upped the price of a pint from €5.20 to €5.40 (Lager),, with the black stuff now at €4.90 .

12 cans of pils in Lidl 4.8% is €12.70 and is a nice beer,, can't help but think that a lot of pub will be in trouble,, am now starting to feel comfortable at home.

I was in LIDL got to try 4 German beers 1.96 a can at the weekend chiiled with them out the back
    Didnt miss the pub.....think i miss it for a drink alone and chatting at the bar

I was in LIDL got to try 4 German beers 1.96 a can at the weekend chiiled with them out the back
    Didnt miss the pub.....think i miss it for a drink alone and chatting at the bar

Used to love having a sneaky early pint and chat with staff before it got busy. Can't quite do that in a cafe.

Used to love having a sneaky early pint and chat with staff before it got busy. Can't quite do that in a cafe.

Im in the pub game i miss the chats and the locals...have been out in the new food pubs but not the same

• Advertisement

Yup. Noticed some coffee shops have upped their prices too.

Seen one of my local cafes 3 euro coffee now 3.50

Seen one of my local cafes 3 euro coffee now 3.50

Yeah, the €3 coffee a while back was like the €5 pint.

Been drinking a lot of iced coffee this summer, €3.5 to €3.7 varying.

And coffee is so cheap.

Workers working for free with government paid wages.

Nonsense.

Yeah, the €3 coffee a while back was like the €5 pint.

Been drinking a lot of iced coffee this summer, €3.5 to €3.7 varying.

And coffee is so cheap.

Workers working for free with government paid wages.

Nonsense.

Are business owners abusing the covid payment?Jesus ice coffees going 4 to 5 euro ive seen

The greed of pubs was putting people off long before all this happened. Now you've basically a €9 cover charge and increased prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Sounds like you've been getting away with murder on those prices. :P Cheapest pint in my local is €4.80.....€5.80 for a cider. It makes me wonder if they'll try and mark the prices up again because to be frank, the place isn't that great that I'd pay €6 for a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Dickie10 wrote:
    imagine never being able to dance to music among people again. isnt it shocking the thing we have been doing since middle ages now banned. like sharia law.

If sharia law means no more music in pubs then I say allahu akbar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

As long as people want to meet new people, the pubs won't have a problem in that age group

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Same, I have gotten used to necking cans outdoors. Way cheaper, you can get a gallon for a tenner, it adds up. Also when its gone its gone, no faffing around until 4 in the morning on Southern Comfort for the sake of it.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Same, I have gotten used to necking cans outdoors. Way cheaper, you can get a gallon for a tenner, it adds up. Also when its gone its gone, no faffing around until 4 in the morning on Southern Comfort for the sake of it.

In saying that I doubt the park will be as comfortable in mid November. I am not one for bonfires either.

Lets hope the wetness gets the nod soon enough, I was at ends yesterday evening walking through town and seeing decent watering holes closed. It is a great pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I'm looking forward to a slow dance with face shields.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

In contrast, a new pub opened in Rochdale, England recently, with pints from GBP 2.15 to 2.60.

Given that VAT and excise on beer are very similar in UK and RoI, this shows how excessive prices are here.

http://tandlemanbeerblog.blogspot.com/2020/08/parking-tanks-on-wetherspoons-lawn.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Blut2

Geuze wrote: »
    In contrast, a new pub opened in Rochdale, England recently, with pints from GBP 2.15 to 2.60.

Given that VAT and excise on beer are very similar in UK and RoI, this shows how excessive prices are here.

http://tandlemanbeerblog.blogspot.com/2020/08/parking-tanks-on-wetherspoons-lawn.html

You don't even need to go to the UK to see how excessive prices are in most pubs here. Look at Wetherspoons or Diceys selling pints for €2/2.50 in Dublin and still making a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭global23214124

Tried ≈ a substantial meal pub crawl of sorts on Saturday. First place let us stay a few hours but the next two places were on the ball with their times. First place also had the gardai visit but they didn't seem worried so might have been unrelated.

Geuze wrote: »

They actually are not similar. The gov charge more higher taxes on imports and also domestic output gets a hammering also. Factor in the extra supply chain cost of getting booze to Ireland and you can justify bigger prices. On top of that Ireland charges huge prices for insurance and rates. throw on staff costs and rent etc and you can see where my argument is going.

Rochdale is a phucking working class toilet in the Manchester suburbs. You would be lucky to leave most pubs alive, for perspective you can buy Kebabs there for 2 or 3 quid. So saying pints are 2.15 ( probably local brew pish ) is a slight exaggeration. You are talking hellholes populated by national front members and calling you " Paddy " all day, I would rather pay 4 quid up the road and have my pint in peace. In London prices are more expensive than Dublin. But you can be in nicer parts of the UK and pay much more for your pints.

After saying all that many publicans in Ireland are screwing customers, look at Temple Bar or many Hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,804 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Not missing the pub as much now as at the start of the pandemic.
    I got a few boxes of Peroni in Dunne’s Stores and I’m enjoying a few at the weekends watching a good film.
    Saving money too.

They actually are not similar. The gov charge more higher taxes on imports and also domestic output gets a hammering also.

UK VAT = 20%

RoI VAT = 23%, ok we are 3% higher here

Excise duty

https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/excise-and-licences/excise-duty-rates/alcohol-products-tax.aspx

22.55 per HL per %, or 55 cent per 4.3% ABV pint of beer

UK excise duty

https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-shopping/alcohol-tobacco#:~:text=How%20much%20Beer%20Duty%20you,by%20volume'%20(%20ABV%20).&text=You%20buy%20a%20pint%20of,about%20568ml%20or%200.568%20litres).

19.08 pence per litre per %, so that's 46.6 pence per pint of 4.3% ABV beer

46.6 pence is about 53 cent

So the excise is 53 cent in the UK, and 55 cent here.

They actually are not similar. The gov charge more higher taxes on imports

As there has been a Single Market since 1992, there are no Customs Duties on imports of beer across/within the EU.

They actually are not similar. The gov charge more higher taxes on imports and also domestic output gets a hammering also. Factor in the extra supply chain cost of getting booze to Ireland and you can justify bigger prices. On top of that Ireland charges huge prices for insurance and rates. throw on staff costs and rent etc and you can see where my argument is going.

After saying all that many publicans in Ireland are screwing customers, look at Temple Bar or many Hotels.

Yes, the reasons for the higher prices here are NOT the excise duty and the VAT, the other reasons that you mention are part of the answer.

Im the the trade and im telling the bossman that things will change....but like talking to the wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

seems from the slowdown here on this forum , most pubs back open?

Advertisement