Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you miss the pub?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »
    True, Do they realize people will go out earlier or maybe go in a bit late and binge drink

What is the meaning of the earlier closes ?? **** to gain from it

These NPHET lads must think were a bunch of yahoos

Your post contradicts itself, they think we can't be trusted so we'll show them by doing the exact thing they're worried we'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Santy2015 wrote: »
    A place I like visiting when I’m in the capital is the Living Room! Savage spot to watch a game!

Good place to watch a match in fairness. Terrible pub otherwise!

I'll keep on the Dublin trend, The Long Hall is one I'm looking forward to returning to. If I can ever get in there again!!

The lack of space in the Long Hall means you could waiting a while for that one unfortunately :-( The same with my favourite - The Cobblestone in Smithfield.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I miss having a coffee in the pub, sounds odd but when I'd be out night fishing for bass in the middle of the winter.
    On the drive home I'd drop into Egan's in Liscannor and have a good stiff strong coffee for the drive home.

I gave up the hooch and yokes in 2003 but it doesn't stop me from stopping off for a chat with the local story tellers.
    Fire blazing and the Atlantic blowing the rain in a horizontal line outside.
    Almost drenched running from the car to the door.

Arrive into Egan's and leave the coat on the hanger by the door, and order my coffee.

Sit down by the fire and soak up the rural coastal athmosphere, have my coffee and go...

Same lads there most evenings in the winter time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Anyone with their local now on the wrong side of the county line?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

This forum has gone very quiet !!!! Is there no optimism out there to see a Christmas opening of the pubs for the month of December. The gubberment will see a major reduction in revenue for that in 2020.

Travelling around on essential business its sad to see villages with 3/4 pubs all closed, beginning to decay severely now and unlikely to open again. Even to look at the once formidable powerhouses in South County Dublin such as the Goat, the Dropping Well, Rathfarnham Orchard etc they are beginning to look like hulks of derelict buiuldings.

Now that Charlie Chawke has got planning permission for his mixed development of a hotel and apts, the Goat is unlikely to open again

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Drifter50 wrote: »
    This forum has gone very quiet !!!! Is there no optimism out there to see a Christmas opening of the pubs for the month of December. The gubberment will see a major reduction in revenue for that in 2020.

Travelling around on essential business its sad to see villages with 3/4 pubs all closed, beginning to decay severely now and unlikely to open again. Even to look at the once formidable powerhouses in South County Dublin such as the Goat, the Dropping Well, Rathfarnham Orchard etc they are beginning to look like hulks of derelict buiuldings.

Now that Charlie Chawke has got planning permission for his mixed development of a hotel and apts, the Goat is unlikely to open again

Charlie closing the Goat?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I think some pubs will do better just doing takeaway pints then the restrictions on seating, the chateau bar in town was doing plenty of customers and I think he’s going to make a lot more money cause he can serve way more people than if he was just relying on the people sitting down.

fin12 wrote: »
    I think some pubs will do better just doing takeaway pints then the restrictions on seating, the chateau bar in town was doing plenty of customers and I think he’s going to make a lot more money cause he can serve way more people than if he was just relying on the people sitting down.

Not a great idea to have people walking around with pints??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Not sure what villages you've been visiting but the pubs in my village, and most of the neighboring ones, have never looked better! Most of the publicans spent the initial lockdown (and some of this current one) renovating their premises. Places are looking well from what I can see.
    As for Christmas, I live in hope. The government has been keeping coy on the matter, but if numbers are low enough, I'd be optimistic that they will allow places to open for Christmas and then be seen as the "good guys"!

sasta le wrote: »
    Not a great idea to have people walking around with pints??

Well whether it’s good idea or not plenty doing it and u don’t have to walk around with them, plenty of places to sit down once ur 100 meters away from the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Sounds like the type of place that would do a great pint with a good atmosphere not full of planks.

Well whether it’s good idea or not plenty doing it and u don’t have to walk around with them, plenty of places to sit down once ur 100 meters away from the place.

Surely it's illegal

Sounds like the type of place that would do a great pint with a good atmosphere not full of planks.

What atmosphere? U take ur drink and f*ck off.

Surely it's illegal

Well clearly not, as there was guards around yday and didn’t say a thing. Sorry to disappoint u.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Surely it's illegal

Theres no national law in Ireland regarding public drinking, some places might have bye laws but nothing illegal if they don't

• Registered Users Posts: 23 shazaam

Maybe because I'm old but I don't miss the general "arseholery" that goes with the standard pub life.

A few quiet scoops of a Saturday afternoon reading a book is quite a nice thing though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭MelbourneMan

Hello. I can provide some insight into this discussion and the likely medium term future of the public house sector. It is consistent with the 'quiet' observation on this thread in general.

The experience since February this year, both in Ireland and amongst our European partners, and that collective knowledge is hugely important to us during this pandemic, has informed us greatly on the levers available for its control and suppression.

We have seen that it is not possible to open up many sectors of society to the levels we had hoped for in May and June, and that this leads to a cyclic opening-lockdown process which is very disruptive in many ways. Essentially we are faced with repeating this cycle over the coming 12-18 months, or, armed now with a greater understanding of managing the cycle, to aim for stability.

Unfortunately for many, the pub sector included for example, this means a steady state of something along the lines of (details will be refined during the coming months to avoid a repetition of the excessive relaxation of restriction of last summer) a permanent Level 3 as described in Ireland, and similar in other European countries. And that pub closures until at least the end of 2021 would be the most likely reasonable scenario. The rest of society will have to support this sector however, and this will be possible and economically sustainable through the greater certainty, clarity, and sustained business activity in other sectors. State assistance will then also be provided to the pub sector to reopen, and resume it former level, when the time comes for that to be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

nthclare wrote: »
    I miss having a coffee in the pub, sounds odd but when I'd be out night fishing for bass in the middle of the winter.
    On the drive home I'd drop into Egan's in Liscannor and have a good stiff strong coffee for the drive home.

I gave up the hooch and yokes in 2003 but it doesn't stop me from stopping off for a chat with the local story tellers.
    Fire blazing and the Atlantic blowing the rain in a horizontal line outside.
    Almost drenched running from the car to the door.

Arrive into Egan's and leave the coat on the hanger by the door, and order my coffee.

Sit down by the fire and soak up the rural coastal athmosphere, have my coffee and go...

Same lads there most evenings in the winter time.

Love going into Egan's for a few early ones, then Mcganns or O'Connor's

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭vafankillar

i can't see pubs opening up again for inside seating for christmas and I think unfortunately thats the correct decision. too many people travelling around and then heading to local pubs could be a disaster. i imagine we'll see level 3 again so outside seating only. far from ideal for winter weather but should be enough to keep enough people happy to de-incentivize house gatherings.

i can't see pubs opening up again for inside seating for christmas and I think unfortunately thats the correct decision. too many people travelling around and then heading to local pubs could be a disaster. i imagine we'll see level 3 again so outside seating only. far from ideal for winter weather but should be enough to keep enough people happy to de-incentivize house gatherings.

House Parties were rocking last weekend with bank holiday and tonight will be lots of fancy dress parties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭vafankillar

House Parties were rocking last weekend with bank holiday and tonight will be lots of fancy dress parties

why did you quote me to say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

why did you quote me to say that?

What kind of a question is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Hello. I can provide some insight into this discussion and the likely medium term future of the public house sector. It is consistent with the 'quiet' observation on this thread in general.

The experience since February this year, both in Ireland and amongst our European partners, and that collective knowledge is hugely important to us during this pandemic, has informed us greatly on the levers available for its control and suppression.

We have seen that it is not possible to open up many sectors of society to the levels we had hoped for in May and June, and that this leads to a cyclic opening-lockdown process which is very disruptive in many ways. Essentially we are faced with repeating this cycle over the coming 12-18 months, or, armed now with a greater understanding of managing the cycle, to aim for stability.

Unfortunately for many, the pub sector included for example, this means a steady state of something along the lines of (details will be refined during the coming months to avoid a repetition of the excessive relaxation of restriction of last summer) a permanent Level 3 as described in Ireland, and similar in other European countries. And that pub closures until at least the end of 2021 would be the most likely reasonable scenario. The rest of society will have to support this sector however, and this will be possible and economically sustainable through the greater certainty, clarity, and sustained business activity in other sectors. State assistance will then also be provided to the pub sector to reopen, and resume it former level, when the time comes for that to be possible.

Full of scheizze.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's like living in Iran or Saudi Arabia

It's like living in Iran or Saudi Arabia

North Korea I was thinking, with the political corrupt tv stations here. Your man Tony is our Kim John Un.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

With all the sport on today and the crap weather it'd be a savage day for the pub. Grab a seat by the fire in my local and kick back with a few pints watching the matches. Balls.

SeaFields wrote: »
    With all the sport on today and the crap weather it'd be a savage day for the pub. Grab a seat by the fire in my local and kick back with a few pints watching the matches. Balls.

There’s prob some pubs with a tv outside on the wall and a tent set up 100 meters from the entrance. There’s a hotel near where I live and they still have the tents up and serving people, Guards don’t give a sh*t as the station is just at the back of the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

There’s prob some pubs with a tv outside on the wall and a tent set up 100 meters from the entrance. There’s a hotel near where I live and they still have the tents up and serving people, Guards don’t give a sh*t as the station is just at the back of the hotel.

It's just a sad state of affairs that we have to go to such extremes to get a few pints!

It’s an even sadder state that they wouldn’t stay at home like they’re supposed to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

The way the gov't is handling things St Patricks is looking doubtful.

Advertisement