Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you miss the pub?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

saabsaab wrote: »
    I don't know. Maybe a traffic light system at the outside door of the toilet. Red engaged, Green free, operated by a sensor that also sprays disinfectant after a person leaves?

Anything automated will always break down at some point. Plan B??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Anything automated will always break down at some point. Plan B??

Two systems? A back up one fitted in case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

What if the backup fails ?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

ek motor wrote: »
    Maybe, its hard to see it working when people are pissed. I just think with all the hassle involved with enforcing social distancing in pubs, will people be arsed ? A house gathering would be so much easier and more enjoyable.

People will almost certainly not comply with social distancing when pissed. I think we just have to accept that pubs will speed up transmission of the virus. I think the virus has to be very much under control before pubs can open - or they will be responsible for spreading a lot of virus.

The pub actually sounds boring with social distancing in place and not worth the risks without social distancing. I would be much happier with going around to friends' houses.

What if the backup fails ?:pac:

The field!

• Advertisement

People will almost certainly not comply with social distancing when pissed. I think we just have to accept that pubs will speed up transmission of the virus. I think the virus has to be very much under control before pubs can open - or they will be responsible for spreading a lot of virus.

The pub actually sounds boring with social distancing in place and not worth the risks without social distancing. I would be much happier with going around to friends' houses.

100% agree with everything

One size won't fit all and you may be right but if we can stop people getting 'pissed' by limit on time or number of drinks say 5 pints then it shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Each to their own really, everyone will have and does have their own opinion on what they prefer.

The group I'd usually meet each week we usually all sit at a table and chat amongst ourselves anyway, we're planning to go back to the pub whenever it opens, zoom all well and good but not for us.

What suits one group might not suit another group. Main thing is whenever they open people can make up their own minds if they want to go or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Every pub I know has a cohort of regulars (aside from elderly). Call them alcoholics all you want, but they are the pub's best customers. So are we now saying that said regular wouldn't be allowed access to the pub under the new booking system? A joke really.

We also know of the ould lad that comes in at roughly the same time most evenings, gets pints handed down to the table for him and is treated like the lord mayor throughout his stay. They are often the best source of stories and general chit-chat. Its that age group that I feel most sorry for.

Each to their own really, everyone will have and does have their own opinion on what they prefer.

The group I'd usually meet each week we usually all sit at a table and chat amongst ourselves anyway, we're planning to go back to the pub whenever it opens, zoom all well and good but not for us.

What suits one group might not suit another group. Main thing is whenever they open people can make up their own minds if they want to go or not.

How would the craic be when your group all have to sit a meter or two apart in the pub?

• Advertisement

How would the craic be when your group all have to sit a meter or two apart in the pub?

4 to a table or whatever it is they're saying it'll be and the tables will have the social distance between say that table beside you.

There wont be social distance between people at said table.

We'll still have the same craic.
    Like I said it's not going to be a one size fits all. What is fine for us might not be for you or others.

Give people the option to try it if they want.

Every pub I know has a cohort of regulars (aside from elderly). Call them alcoholics all you want, but they are the pub's best customers. So are we now saying that said regular wouldn't be allowed access to the pub under the new booking system? A joke really.

We also know of the ould lad that comes in at roughly the same time most evenings, gets pints handed down to the table for him and is treated like the lord mayor throughout his stay. They are often the best source of stories and general chit-chat. Its that age group that I feel most sorry for.

I don't think anyone has suggested that. The old are allowed to do everything that everyone else can do at the moment. There has never been any additional restriction on old people.

Why would the regulars not be allowed access?

4 to a table or whatever it is they're saying it'll be and the tables will have the social distance.

Like I said it's not going to be a one size fits all. What is fine for us might not be for you or others.

Back up the truck. Why wont there be social distance between the people at the table? If you all live together then that's fine but if you're from different households then there needs to be social distance

Are we talking about the likely conditions for pubs to open or just what we'd like to happen? Because the likely scenario is that people will have to social distance in all circumstances Whether its 1m or 2m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Who is going to pay for all of this?

At a time when revenues, even when they do open, will be well down.

Prices will have to go up. That is before you get to the costs of PPE, cleaners, staff will demand health insurance (or should be).

This is an industry that was claiming that it was heading downwards before all of this.

Back up the truck. Why wont there be social distance between the people at the table? If you all live together then that's fine but if you're from different households then there needs to be social distance

Are we talking about the likely conditions for pubs to open or just what we'd like to happen? Because the likely scenario is that people will have to social distance in all circumstances Whether its 1m or 2m.

Show me any table in a pub that has 2 metres between people sitting at it or even 1 metre.

I've said it before I give social distancing a few weeks after the end of august before its largely being flouted. Even just now I've been to the supermarket, social distancing outside, inside none.

Would not surprise me in the slightest to see it being widely flouted in pubs and every other setting in say late September a month after phase 5 starts.

Show me any table in a pub that has 2 metres between people sitting at it or even 1 metre.

I've said it before I give social distancing a few weeks after the end of august before its largely being flouted. Even just now I've been to the supermarket, social distancing outside, inside none.

If they are from the same household then the people at the table don't need to be 2 metres apart. The table does need to be 2metres apart from all the other tables though, and the pathways to toilets etc need to ensure that people maintain 2m distance at all times.

Of course it means that people cannot move between tables, that is why it will be far more like a traditional restaurant than a pub.

4 to a table or whatever it is they're saying it'll be and the tables will have the social distance between say that table beside you.

How is it still gonna be the same craic ? Stick to your group, no chatting women/men, queue for the jacks, zero craic.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    If they are from the same household then the people at the table don't need to be 2 metres apart. The table does need to be 2metres apart from all the other tables though, and the pathways to toilets etc need to ensure that people maintain 2m distance at all times.

Of course it means that people cannot move between tables, that is why it will be far more like a traditional restaurant than a pub.

Yeah that's my point the tables will be 2 meters apart from each other.

If theres no tables left in the pub then people wont be able to come in. Well they shouldn't be able to come in.
    If theres no tables left and Jimmy the regular arrives in I cant see a publican telling him to go home

How is it still gonna be the same craic ? Stick to your group, no chatting women/men, queue for the jacks, zero craic.

Again it's not a one size fits all. Nothing to any of this is.

What suits one person doesn't suit another

Again it's not a one size fits all. Nothing to any of this is.

What suits one person doesn't suit another

Fair enough, I see a ten fold increase in house parties this summer.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, I see a ten fold increase in house parties this summer.

If the weather is good that may well be the case, and I hope it is because I'm looking forward to firstly seeing family with a BBQ and a bit of a party when we're allowed to travel over 20k

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

If all you are doing is sitting with your own group chatting why do you need a pub? You can do that in private in someone's house.

Ballso wrote: »
    If all you are doing is sitting with your own group chatting why do you need a pub? You can do that in private in someone's house.

Could well do but after this I dont think any of us want to be drinking at home for a while. Plus we've all got families etc so it's not always that easy to have people around.

The pub which is a 5 minute walk for us all is just easier.

We just have to see how this all plays out and what the outcome is in terms of how the virus progresses as we move through the stages.

Would not surprise me in the slightest to see it being widely flouted in pubs and every other setting in say late September a month after phase 5 starts.

Pubs weren't set up for social distancing. That's the challenge. But if anyone proposes opening pubs without social distancing then I'd be completely against it. Restaurants are in the same boat. They are preparing to reopen and it's their job to ensure social distancing.

Look, If people can't play the rules then they're the gobshytes that are part of the problem. It's interesting to see people give out about travellers and teenagers gathering and not social distancing, and now you're saying it will go out the window as soon as the rest of us have an opportunity to act the maggot too.

If there are many people like yourself who are expecting to flout social distancing as soon as the opportunity arises, then I'd completely oppose reopening pubs.

Could well do but after this I dont think any of us want to be drinking at home for a while. Plus we've all got families etc so it's not always that easy to have people around.

The pub which is a 5 minute walk for us all is just easier.

How is it easier? You can't sit with your friends in the pub, you need to stay 2m apart.

You then have to wait for a table, wait to be served, wait to go to the toilet, and you'll have to pay more for the privilege!

All that before you wonder if you have just spent the last hour in the same room as people with the virus. Does the waiter have it, the barman?

Pubs weren't set up for social distancing. That's the challenge. But if anyone proposes opening pubs without social distancing then I'd be completely against it. Restaurants are in the same boat. They are preparing to reopen and it's their job to ensure social distancing.

Look, If people can't play the rules then they're the gobshytes that are part of the problem. It's interesting to see people give out about travellers and teenagers gathering and not social distancing, and now you're saying it will go out the window as soon as the rest of us have an opportunity to act the maggot too.

If there are many people like yourself who are expecting to flout social distancing as soon as the opportunity arises, then I'd completely oppose reopening pubs.

Are you suggesting I'll be flouting social distancing?? I'll be trying my upmost to maintain it as I am now.

But from what I've seen out and about in the last week and in particular in supermarkets its already being disregarded by alot of people. It's an observation, and once things start getting disregarded they aren't picked up again that easily without enforcement.

Listening to a restaurant owner talking about it on the radio and he said that 2m distancing means they can get 30% as many customers in in the restaurant and they will lose money. With 1m distancing they can get 60% capacity and can maybe lose money, probably break even and maybe make a small profit. Pubs need to adhere to the same distancing rules are restaurants. Pubs aren't special and subject to the rules of "ah, but shur, you cant social distance in the pub, you know yourself, like".

Are you suggesting I'll be flouting social distancing?? I'll be trying my upmost to maintain it as I am now.

But from what I've seen out and about in the last week and in particular in supermarkets its already being disregarded by alot of people. It's an observation, and once things start getting disregarded they aren't picked up again that easily without enforcement.

Grand, so we are both in favour of social distancing. And if you're inclined to think pub patrons won't really bother with social distancing, then are we in agreement that they shouldn't reopen until the virus isn't a problem?

How is it easier? You can't sit with your friends in the pub, you need to stay 2m apart.

You then have to wait for a table, wait to be served, wait to go to the toilet, and you'll have to pay more for the privilege!

All that before you wonder if you have just spent the last hour in the same room as people with the virus. Does the waiter have it, the barman?

I'm going off the VFI plans that say 6 to a table max. Theres no mention of 2m between people at the table. If there has to be then that's grand fair enough but there isn't a mention of it. The tables themselves will need to be 2m apart.

Nearly always use lounge service anyway so table service not a problem.

If I'm going to be wondering about who might have it then I'd never leave the house. Does the person on till at my supermarket have it ?

• Advertisement

If I'm going to be wondering about who might have it then I'd never leave the house. Does the person on till at my supermarket have it ?

Maybe they do. The question is "do you need food?"

Maybe the server in the pub has it so the question is "do you need pints?"

Grand, so we are both in favour of social distancing. And if you're inclined to think pub patrons won't really bother with social distancing, then are we in agreement that they shouldn't reopen until the virus isn't a problem?

I think they should be given the chance to open like every business. If we're saying wait until the virus isn't a problem nobody knows when that might be.

I'm fully in favour of letting each sector come up with ideas and see if they can be implemented, each has their own challenges.

I think society in general not just in pubs will slowly see less social distancing compliance. Its already being seen in Denmark for example. But that's for another thread.

Maybe they do. The question is "do you need food?"

Maybe the server in the pub has it so the question is "do you need pints?"

Its actually even more than that. Its do you need draught pints or you can get the drink in the supermarket.

Who is going to pay for all of this?

At a time when revenues, even when they do open, will be well down.

Prices will have to go up. That is before you get to the costs of PPE, cleaners, staff will demand health insurance (or should be).

This is an industry that was claiming that it was heading downwards before all of this.

The costs may not be that high simple enough pir type system easy to rig up for someone with electronic skills.

Maybe also large perspex cones that can be lowered over tables with air suction to isolate the table from others?

I think they should be given the chance to open like every business. If we're saying wait until the virus isn't a problem nobody knows when that might be.

I'm fully in favour of letting each sector come up with ideas and see if they can be implemented, each has their own challenges.

I think society in general not just in pubs will slowly see less social distancing compliance. Its already being seen in Denmark for example. But that's for another thread.

Right, so if that's the plan they're currently suggesting for reopening pubs, it's just not good enough, is it?

Or are you just saying that each business should set its own standard wherever it likes? Should pubs should have lower standards than other businesses and it's fine because you thinking other people won't bother with social distancing in pubs in a couple of months anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Right, so if that's the plan they're currently suggesting for reopening pubs, it's just not good enough, is it?

Or are you just saying that each business should set its own standard wherever it likes? Should pubs should have lower standards than other businesses and it's fine because you thinking other people won't bother with social distancing in pubs in a couple of months anyway?

No-one is forcing anyone to go to the pub when they re-open. If you, or anyone else, doesn't feel comfortable going to such a setting, then don't.

Plenty of people don't go to a pub when they are packed as it is.

The only scenario I would feel uncomfortable in at the moment would be on a packed Luas (which probably won't be a "thing" for a while anyway).

No point living in fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Maybe also large perspex cones that can be lowered over tables with air suction to isolate the table from others?

I know where you got that idea:

...but I think tinfoil hats will do the trick at much lower cost, however they're not as de rigueur as masks, esp. those chic homemade designer facial spittoons :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This is inevitable and all the virtue signalling in the world won't make a difference. And it is going to happen a lot sooner than people think, within the next few months you will see a lot of the current social distancing behaviours fall into disuse.

Right this minute there are hundreds of thousands of people working and interacting with hundreds of thousands of other people, then you go home and see people queuing outside a Tesco and realise that its all just theatre.

Very soon people will be going back to work, society is going to start interacting again and the whole 2m distance thing is going to become unworkable. As for pubs, human beings have been socialising together for thousands of years and it would be foolish to think that is going to change any time soon.

No-one is forcing anyone to go to the pub when they re-open. If you, or anyone else, doesn't feel comfortable going to such a setting, then don't.

Plenty of people don't go to a pub when they are packed as it is.

The only scenario I would feel uncomfortable in at the moment would be on a packed Luas (which probably won't be a "thing" for a while anyway).

No point living in fear.

Yeah but we are doing our best to limit transmission of the virus. I actually couldn't give a shyte about getting it myself. I'm in the very low risk category. It's the transmission to more vulnerable people that's the issue.

The packed luas or bus is a high risk area and best avoided unless it's absolutely necessary to get to and from work. Pubs aren't necessary for anything. It's not about about living in fear, it's about acknowledging and managing risks to our selves abs the country as a whole.

watlantic wrote: »
    I know where you got that idea:

...but I think tinfoil hats will do the trick at much lower cost, however they're not as de rigueur as masks, esp. those chic homemade designer facial spittoons :p

Anti-covid cone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Its actually even more than that. Its do you need draught pints or you can get the drink in the supermarket.

I definitely need draught pints. Beer is not the same out of tin cans but any port in a storm as they say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

So will entrance be limited to a specific group? How would you deal with a new person walking in?

And you are placing a lot of trust on those other 10 or 12 people that they haven't had contact with others outside the group.

I assume, based on admitted stereotype, that the patrons would be on the older age group. Would you be comfortable with possibly infecting and potentially the death of an older patron?

sure they could have this and could have that, you just get on with it, could be knocked down crossing the road. if that your attitude dont leave your house. the rrest of us will get busy living

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i think the elephant in the room is we all know the craic that will happen in pubs when they open social distanceing be out the window before the weekend is in. city centree pubs the gardai will be all over it, they will show pubs doing the whole table things and social distancing on the 6 one news and everyone will say ah see fair play the pubs are going all european with cafe style drinking. outside of those type of pubs it will be back to normal. the quiet pubs before Covid will be the same people in them after. the government know they will never reign in another lockdown, we will live alongside this virus and people will get it of course , some will die just as the do of any virus. once we keep a handle on it and hospitals cope thats all that matters. theres not hope people will go into lockdown again i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Just got the phone call, the local is opening up for a select number of clientele tomorrow night from 8.00pm, just 12 of us as that is all the new bar will allow with all this separation distance ****e, so a few long awaited pints and chasers will be had, I'm going to dust off the old brier and bring it along, sheep as a lamb and all that........

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭jt69er

Beer might not be the freshest, kegs been there since early March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

jt69er wrote: »
    Beer might not be the freshest, kegs been there since early March.

All the draught beer has been taken back by the breweries and pubs accounts credited.

The breweries get a refund of the duty paid from Revenue.

One thing to look out for would be bottled stock from smaller suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Downlinz

This is inevitable and all the virtue signalling in the world won't make a difference. And it is going to happen a lot sooner than people think, within the next few months you will see a lot of the current social distancing behaviours fall into disuse.

Right this minute there are hundreds of thousands of people working and interacting with hundreds of thousands of other people, then you go home and see people queuing outside a Tesco and realise that its all just theatre.

Very soon people will be going back to work, society is going to start interacting again and the whole 2m distance thing is going to become unworkable. As for pubs, human beings have been socialising together for thousands of years and it would be foolish to think that is going to change any time soon.

I think those preaching "everything will go back to exactly the way it was" is the first sign of denial.

The humans that socialised in the face of a pandemic aren't your ancestors since their bloodline died out long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dickie10 wrote: »
    they will show pubs doing the whole table things and social distancing on the 6 one news and everyone will say ah see fair play the pubs are going all european with cafe style drinking.
    there will be tons of videos on social media showing inevitable breaking of the rules. Some cnuts will possibly spoil it all for everyone, if they insist it cannot work, some "mad lads" or the "anti-buzzkiller partyboys" will be taking the absolute piss. Has to happen.
    elperello wrote: »
    All the draught beer has been taken back by the breweries and pubs accounts credited.
    I doubt ALL beer was taken back, the main breweries selling mainstream beer might have, but I imagine some might have held onto kegs, or do not get them through the official approved distribution routes. But besides that I think that poster was referring to the poster before saying he is going drinking tomorrow in a pub. A pub near me was meant to have people in paddys day, I also heard it was raided.

I doubt the main breweries would be delivering fresh kegs to these pubs.

In some thread somebody setting up a home bar bought a keg from their local just a week or so ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

rubadub wrote: »
    there will be tons of videos on social media showing inevitable breaking of the rules. Some cnuts will possibly spoil it all for everyone, if they insist it cannot work, some "mad lads" or the "anti-buzzkiller partyboys" will be taking the absolute piss. Has to happen.

I doubt ALL beer was taken back, the main breweries selling mainstream beer might have, but I imagine some might have held onto kegs, or do not get them through the official approved distribution routes. But besides that I think that poster was referring to the poster before saying he is going drinking tomorrow in a pub. A pub near me was meant to have people in paddys day, I also heard it was raided.

I doubt the main breweries would be delivering fresh kegs to these pubs.

In some thread somebody setting up a home bar bought a keg from their local just a week or so ago.

Sorry, I missed the post about the lock-in tomorrow night.

I was referring to what happened to the stock in compliant pubs which will not be open until they get the all clear from the Government.

Diageo, Heineken etc. did take back their stock. I agree that fresh deliveries are probably not available

Any pub that has stock of draught now and is prepared to invite people in is most likely offering them old stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

elperello wrote: »
    Sorry, I missed the post about the lock-in tomorrow night.

I was referring to what happened to the stock in compliant pubs which will not be open until they get the all clear from the Government.

Diageo, Heineken etc. did take back their stock. I agree that fresh deliveries are probably not available

Any pub that has stock of draught now and is prepared to invite people in is most likely offering them old stock.

It's beer, not ten day old milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭jt69er

No keg's delivered since 12th March. Pubs would be foolish holding on to kegs when they would be getting full refund for returned stock.

• Advertisement
Advertisement