Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you miss the pub?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

My clubbing days are largely behind me but you do have to wonder how well they will come back. A lot of them weren't in great shakes before, young people just aren't as into clubs in the numbers they were even 10 years ago.

I blame the super strong weed around these days. Plenty of young lads seem to think Saturday night is a few j's and a few cans now.
    They don’t have the money to be throwing away a ton in drink alone on a Saturday night but you make a valid point about the nightclubs. Could be the death of them, late night live music venues would be much more popular then a “disco” feel. It’ll be interesting to see how they adapt but looking first to that first elusive pint, glass I haven’t gotten any takeaway ones. It’ll be worth it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Pub grub and two pints of the black stuff on a Friday evening. Relaxed evening with the family. That’s what I miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Not at all, the seats aren’t as close in the pub. And you can stand up and walk about in a pub. Strangers generally don’t sit shoulder to shoulder with you in a pub. Also, buses don’t have the social aspect of a pub.

Plus the beer is sh*te on the bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’m not sure the pub business can survive this.
    It will of course be a novelty at first but when people realise what going to the pub will be like, that novelty will very quickly wear off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Christ the auld bus is as dangerous as the pub fable back again :pac:

The alco's need to accept 90% of the population just arent that dependent on the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You dont have to sit in beside people on a bus you know. You are free to use the other seats dotted around the place.

Generally the only time that happens on a bus is when some drunk person comes on. This is because they have lowered inhibitions and general sense of mind from the alcohol.

But ya, pubs dont increase any risk at all..

On a packed bus there are no “other seats dotted around the place” and each finite row is for 2 people on a bus, bar the back seat which seats 5 with another 4 facing towards them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Gael23 wrote: »
    I’m not sure the pub business can survive this.
    It will of course be a novelty at first but when people realise what going to the pub will be like, that novelty will very quickly wear off

Pubs will survive but the experience will be a different one initially. And certainty one which wont be for everyone.

Leo said last night that the 2 meter rule would be reviewed as it may not be workable in certain situations. I would expect this means that pubs/restaurants when they open will operate on a 1 meter rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

ShyMets wrote: »
    Pubs will survive but the experience will be a different one initially. And certainty one which wont be for everyone.

Leo said last night that the 2 meter rule would be reviewed as it may not be workable in certain situations. I would expect this means that pubs/restaurants when they open will operate on a 1 meter rule.

Airports will be another one where it’s impossible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Pubs will survive initially, and thrive thereafter - whenever the "old normal" returns. Purely based off my own interactions with people, and anecdotes of others, there is a pent-up frustration from lockdown, and seeing the same people day-in, day-out. There is something quintessentially Irish about randomly strolling into your local and chatting away with acquaintances and strangers alike. The pub provides this facility, in a way that not many other places do. I've been fortunate enough to meet many of my close friends during the lockdown. However, there is a secondary cohort of people that I wouldn't necessarily phone, or call around to their house, but if I saw them in the pub, we'd be chatting all night.

I know some on here would only love to see the pub disappear from Irish life, so that we can usher in some European-style cafe culture. But I just don't see it happening, the habit of a lifetime won't change due to a few months of uncertainty. Long live the love affair! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

Gael23 wrote: »
    when people realise what going to the pub will be like, that novelty will very quickly wear off

Journalists and other talking heads have the country depressed out of the mind with the term the New Normal. It implies a permanent way of life. A new normal, like how airport security will never return to the pre 9/11 era.

Not to forget Simon the Spastic Harris declaring in April in a lifestyle feature in the Sindo that pubs wouldn't open again until a vaccine or a magic bullet treatment were developed, which meant giving a projected opening date between March 2021 and, well, never. How he is still in the job after that one is a damning indictment on the rewards failure brings in this country. If pubs were traded on the stock market his idiotic comments would have caused a meltdown.

These changes won't be here forever. The stickers will come off the floors, we will be able to stand in pubs, the old life will return.

When?

A few weeks after Denmark, Slovakia and other similar sized countries that took action sooner have tried it and reported no ill effects.

If cases stay low and keep dying out, I'm calling October for when social distancing rules everywhere are lifted.

There will be serious pressure if there are consistently near on zero new cases to allow for retail and pubs to have half a chance of making a yearly profit by being back to normal for Christmas.

Pubs will survive initially, and thrive thereafter - whenever the "old normal" returns. Purely based off my own interactions with people, and anecdotes of others, there is a pent-up frustration from lockdown, and seeing the same people day-in, day-out. There is something quintessentially Irish about randomly strolling into your local and chatting away with acquaintances and strangers alike. The pub provides this facility, in a way that not many other places do. I've been fortunate enough to meet many of my close friends during the lockdown. However, there is a secondary cohort of people that I wouldn't necessarily phone, or call around to their house, but if I saw them in the pub, we'd be chatting all night.

I know some on here would only love to see the pub disappear from Irish life, so that we can usher in some European-style cafe culture. But I just don't see it happening, the habit of a lifetime won't change due to a few months of uncertainty. Long live the love affair! ;)

100 agree. I think within a couple of months and assuming there is no second wave, pubs will be operating largely as they were pre-Covid.

There may still be some slight restrictions, for example only a limited number of people allowed to sit at a bar and only those sitting at the bar can order from there.

But that would suit me fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Think it should be up to the pub owner/management if they want music/djs etc. I knw a lot of people hate it but what harm is having someone with a guitar singing in the corner

Reckon they wil be a few haters going into places just to catch them out on something wrong there doing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Think it should be up to the pub owner/management if they want music/djs etc. I knw a lot of people hate it but what harm is having someone with a guitar singing in the corner

Reckon they wil be a few haters going into places just to catch them out on something wrong there doing

would not make financial sense with social distancing rules to pay for music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yeah i think people like the poster here "get" the traditional irish pub, not the city centre super pub thing, the sort of thing where people just walk in off the street sit down on their own and chat with barman or any other stranger that may be there, i think the people who are not bothered by pubs shut are the sort who would never go down to the pub on their own or just wander in for a few pints without having a plan in place of who their meeting etc. These people tend not to go to very quiet pubs with onlt 8 -10 people in them so always view the "pub" as a mad , jam packed image.

Would people accept what the pubs were like 'End of Feb/Early March' before they had to shut ?

Places were operating as normal Cheltenham Week with a few restrictions like Hand sanitising, social distancing etc . Feels like an age but it was only 3 months ago :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jt69er

I know some on here would only love to see the pub disappear from Irish life, so that we can usher in some European-style cafe culture. But I just don't see it happening, the habit of a lifetime won't change due to a few months of uncertainty. Long live the love affair!

I know some on here would only love to see the pub disappear from Irish life, so that we can usher in some European-style cafe culture. But I just don't see it happening, the habit of a lifetime won't change due to a few months of uncertainty. Long live the love affair!

Well said!

these new regulations seem to be getting rid of the loner drinker at the bar. A bar person will likely turn away a person on there own so they can keep a table free for a group

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Would people accept what the pubs were like 'End of Feb/Early March' before they had to shut ?

Places were operating as normal Cheltenham Week with a few restrictions like Hand sanitising, social distancing etc . Feels like an age but it was only 3 months ago :(:(

Its mad when you think about it that not even 2 and a half months ago when Cheltenham was on every pub was operating as normal. No hand sanister or anything. That was in Galway anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

these new regulations seem to be getting rid of the loner drinker at the bar. A bar person will likely turn away a person on there own so they can keep a table free for a group

Is it currently common for restaurants to refuse single people for similar reasons?

If there is demand they might have single tables.

rubadub wrote: »
    Is it currently common for restaurants to refuse single people for similar reasons?

If there is demand they might have single tables.

If they dont like the look of you they could act like a pub

'Sorry bud not tonight' etc.

• Advertisement

If they dont like the look of you they could act like a pub

'Sorry bud not tonight' etc.

they don't even have to act like a pub, they can just act like a restaurant, "sorry, all our tables are booked". This all seated at tables thing is more like restaurants.

I am simply wondering if people going to restaurants on their own come up against this a lot. If they did they would book ahead.

I can imagine the pubs might not want them if seats in their pub is in high demand. Lone drinkers are probably not as likely to be horsing down pints. We used to joke about going to our local and how the owner must love us since in the first hour we would have spent far more money than a bunch group of foreign students with 3 times as many people there all afternoon, or local couples in having very few drinks during the night

The pubs may not need to get musicians in to pull in punters, they are not allowed be as full as they would have previously liked to be. It will be interesting to see if they up the prices, and if many people are refused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Don't get me wrong, whilst lockdown has been very productive for me (finally got the house into a much better state, more open space, started my own business), I've been absolutely dying to sit at the bar of me local and talk ****e with me mates who work there.

Been back at work for three weeks and the worst part about it is not being able to go in for a pint or two on my way home once or twice a week, particularly after a ****ty day. I'd kill for a nice fresh pint and a bit of me time!

People will eventually be able to drink at the bar. And probably sooner then we think

You will still get the ignorant in who dont listen and think everything is back to normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/the-pub-doors-will-be-open-but-will-the-craic-be-inside-39265852.html

Article on the coming pub experience in the Independent today. Behind the paywall unfortunately. Makes it sound fairly grim to be honest.
    The spontaneous nature of the Irish pub and "impromptu" sessions are going to sink like a well-pulled pint beneath the weight of government regulations, self-imposed rules by publicans anxious to avoid closure for not obeying the rules, social distancing, hygiene and general red tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,311 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/the-pub-doors-will-be-open-but-will-the-craic-be-inside-39265852.html

Article on the coming pub experience in the Independent today. Behind the paywall unfortunately. Makes it sound fairly grim to be honest.

Have access to the independent, it's just about opinion piece. The independent have had a few of these recently and all have been shot down by the VFI and LVA. Just like the Claire Byrne mock pub was also dismissed straight away.

Everyone knows it's going to be different for a while but its honestly not going to be as bad as some paint it. Being able to meet up with friends again after work on a Friday for food and a few drinks will be nice, always used table service anyway so makes no difference to me there and much prefer to be able to sit and chat than have someone playing a guitar in the background.

Looking forward to it, remember these changes aren't forever, we have to make the best of everything at the moment while things are as they are.

My own local as I've said here before isn't bringing in table bookings or time limits.

Have access to the independent, it's just about opinion piece. The independent have had a few of these recently and all have been shot down by the VFI and LVA. Just like the Claire Byrne mock pub was also dismissed straight away.

Everyone knows it's going to be different for a while but its honestly not going to be as bad as some paint it. Being able to meet up with friends again after work on a Friday for food and a few drinks will be nice, always used table service anyway so makes no difference to me there and much prefer to be able to sit and chat than have someone playing a guitar in the background.

Looking forward to it, remember these changes aren't forever, we have to make the best of everything at the moment while things are as they are.

My own local as I've said here before isn't bringing in table bookings or time limits.

100% agree. For the next couple of months things will be different. But I do think that that August/September the pub will be largely back to the way it was pre-Covid.

You're a little different to me as I rarely used table service or ordered food, so I wont be returning to the Pub when they reopen. But hopefully it wont be to long after that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,311 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

100% agree. For the next couple of months things will be different. But I do think that that August/September the pub will be largely back to the way it was pre-Covid.

You're a little different to me as I rarely used table service or ordered food, so I wont be returning to the Pub when they reopen. But hopefully it wont be to long after that

Even if I've not been having food, my local always had lounge staff on, heck it was my first job so I've always ordered off the lounge staff as they've passed by.

Its not for everyone but at the moment we just have to make do with what will be for a few months hopefully.

Even if I've not been having food, my local always had lounge staff on, heck it was my first job so I've always ordered off the lounge staff as they've passed by.

Its not for everyone but at the moment we just have to make do with what will be for a few months hopefully.

Sadly, I'm a sit at the bar man. So no quick return for me. But enjoy you're first time back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

One good thing out of this is hopefully the end of the bloke with a guitar at the pub.

Buzz killer!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

One good thing out of this is hopefully the end of the bloke with a guitar at the pub.

Buzz killer!!

I know people like a saturday night band and that its a livelihood for alot of people but for me when a late game finishes and a band starts setting up thats usually my time to call it a night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I know people like a saturday night band and that its a livelihood for alot of people but for me when a late game finishes and a band starts setting up thats usually my time to call it a night

Especially when they plonk the speaker right beside you.

Especially when they plonk the speaker right beside you.

Its a killer esp if a pub has a low ceiling, you be deafend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Here here, I'll toast to that sentiment in a few weeks in my local! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

im going to spend a weekend or two knocking into those little bars that are always empty in the town , be very relaxing no red tape or crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Buzz killer!!

Or those Trad w@nkers - louder and louder, faster and faster, knowing winks and nudged to each other like they are having a fit, until everyone's head is wrecked and no one car hear a word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Imagine what it is gonna be like when the pubs do go back open?

Sure, it'll be social distancing but you just know it'll be mental. Probably see a que outside a pub at 3pm in the day. Me thinks anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Imagine what it is gonna be like when the pubs do go back open?

Sure, it'll be social distancing but you just know it'll be mental. Probably see a que outside a pub at 3pm in the day. Me thinks anyways.

A queue at 3! I doubt it sure who would be drinking before 6pm weekdays anyway.

saabsaab wrote: »

There's plenty of weekday daytime drinkers

Sometimes it's not just the unemployed and retired but people who are off work too

• Advertisement

Dunno if you are being sarcastic but plenty would drink early in the day, not everybody is 9 to 5.

When the pubs reopen I expect loads of people will take the day off work just to go out and meet friends, people have got annual leave to burn. Very few in my place have taken holidays and its becoming a big concern for management.

They think the monday will put people off, but I reckon tuesday would have been better if that was their plan, people will take the monday off to make it into a long weekend.

Anyone pouring Guinness from a can and telling you it’s near like a pint should be checking their temperature, or they’ve been drinking in the wrong pubs.

It's the coronavirus. Loss of smell and taste is a symptom.

Whoever is working from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Normal times you'd just have the awfullas drinking in the pub at 3 etc.
    But given the fact the pubs have been closed for ages and that a lot will be out of work? It'll be mental at 3 for the first week the pubs open. Throw in the summer heat too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭showpony1

does anyone know if there is any places selling takeaway pints in city centre with an area to stand outside/toilets?
    thought i heard of a few places selling cocktails where you could stand outside. Obviously if no toilets be difficult to have few drinks.

Hard to know what the 29th June will be like ?. Pubs/restraunts will be open but i imagine they will open up a table booking service a week or 2 beforehand

Be hard for someone on there own to get a pint somewhere i imagine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

showpony1 wrote: »
    does anyone know if there is any places selling takeaway pints in city centre with an area to stand outside/toilets?
    thought i heard of a few places selling cocktails where you could stand outside. Obviously if no toilets be difficult to have few drinks.

AFAIK from 2 lads who own 2 different pubs, if you sell pints/cocktails from a pub, to be drank outside it, it can’t be drank within 100m of the premises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I won't lie, there will be a tear in my eye the day I am sitting down with a cold one and watching the footy on a Sunday afternoon.

py2006 wrote: »
    I won't lie, there will be a tear in my eye the day I am sitting down with a cold one and watching the footy on a Sunday afternoon.

AFAIK from 2 lads who own 2 different pubs, if you sell pints/cocktails from a pub, to be drank outside it, it can’t be drank within 100m of the premises.

Pub in Artane selling takeaway food and pints.Seen a couple of lads on the last bank holiday sunday buying pints from it and going across the road from it and sitting on a bench and drinking them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

People will eventually be able to drink at the bar. And probably sooner then we think
    Don't worry about sooner it's already happening. 2 pubs near me never closed. I'm sure it's the same in a lot of areas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement