Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you miss the pub?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Don't worry about sooner it's already happening. 2 pubs near me never closed. I'm sure it's the same in a lot of areas.

It is happening but very quietly and only to a select group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

place up the road from me never closed either, the owner lives over it, very quite rural place, out the back they drink on benchs tip in an odd to the jacks about 6 or 7 most nights i hear, dont think soical distance is a problem there.

As big a shower of tramps as they were to stay open, I quite like hearing they were if the numbers are still dropping. If the numbers are falling then the more people broke regulations the better really in the bigger picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭4Ad

A country pub near me allowed a small few (same few family members) in on certain nights.

Cant say I miss the local too much, but I miss live bands/ gigs and pints !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

4Ad wrote: »
    A country pub near me allowed a small few (same few family members) in on certain nights.

Cant say I miss the local too much, but I miss live bands/ gigs and pints !!

Similar to yourself just want to have a pint in a pub setting with maybe a bit of music and sport on the TV

Not looking forward to all the new rules and maybe a narky bar person watching you like a hawk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Similar to yourself just want to have a pint in a pub setting with maybe a bit of music and sport on the TV

Not looking forward to all the new rules and maybe a narky bar person watching you like a hawk

I don't think that will last long. I think it will be strict for the first week or so and gradually the shackles will come off.

I know of one famous pub in Dublin that will not re-open at all (or so owner says) until all that ****e has cleared. He has written the year off.

py2006 wrote: »
    I don't think that will last long. I think it will be strict for the first week or so and gradually the shackles will come off.

I know of one famous pub in Dublin that will not re-open at all (or so owner says) until all that ****e has cleared. He has written the year off.

'Ah would ye feck off'

'Ah sure luck, the virus is gone and you're not going too get it here"

Can imagine a lot of that in places where the customers are going for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

does anyone want me to show them a pic of the pub i was talking about with sometimes nobody on the premisies on a sat at 9pm? when pubs open i will have to prove it exists! the owner in watching the news serves the drink then walks back out to the news again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Dickie10 wrote: »
    does anyone want me to show them a pic of the pub i was talking about with sometimes nobody on the premisies on a sat at 9pm? when pubs open i will have to prove it exists! the owner in watching the news serves the drink then walks back out to the news again!

Ah go on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

'Ah would ye feck off'

'Ah sure luck, the virus is gone and you're not going too get it here"

Can imagine a lot of that in places where the customers are going for years

I've told my boss I'm not going back. Luckily I was only part time for college having done bar work for years full time. My heart breaks for industry staff having to deal with people who will think the rules don't apply to them and "ah sure..". I hope to get back behind the stick at some point I love it but I can't face having to tell people not to be moving from table to table or standing at the bar. Or the "jokes". I hope by the time I go back people will have stopped asking for corona, hold the virus :rolleyes::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Anyone think that all pubs will open the end of the month if the numbers remain low for the rest of the month?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Anyone think that all pubs will open the end of the month if the numbers remain low for the rest of the month?

nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

On the grounds that they say it takes 10 days to 2 weeks to see the effects of the current phase I don't see it. Plus bars will struggle to turn a profit with everyone at the table ordering food as it is, I just can't see how you make a profit on table service, with social distancing requirements on just beers. Most pubs I've worked have survived off their weekend takes when it is standing room only. Remove some tables AND limit it to seating only AND need people to seat you and take your orders and deal with reservations, I can't see it.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    On the grounds that they say it takes 10 days to 2 weeks to see the effects of the current phase I don't see it. Plus bars will struggle to turn a profit with everyone at the table ordering food as it is, I just can't see how you make a profit on table service, with social distancing requirements on just beers. Most pubs I've worked have survived off their weekend takes when it is standing room only. Remove some tables AND limit it to seating only AND need people to seat you and take your orders and deal with reservations, I can't see it.
    Would the social distancing reduced to 1 metre be a game changer? The reason I ask,was talking to a pub owner at the weekend and he was saying he would be opening on the 29th,He doesn't do bar food and it would be a quite country pub

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Will people actually “order food” meaningfully though. The running joke at the moment is that first order will be “give us a bowl of chips and 6 pints please”. Its very unclear yet as to how many can you order, how long can you stay.

For instance myself and a few lads could just go in and order one sharer type food and just drink away like normal, is there anything that says you can’t?

Plus will bars / restaurants not have to hire more people with table service being the only option of ordering?

In Oz it seems to be a free for all - order food, big tables of upto 10 friends, drink away like normal and get hammered

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Will people actually “order food” meaningfully though. The running joke at the moment is that first order will be “give us a bowl of chips and 6 pints please”. Its very unclear yet as to how many can you order, how long can you stay.

For instance myself and a few lads could just go in and order one sharer type food and just drink away like normal, is there anything that says you can’t?

Plus will bars / restaurants not have to hire more people with table service being the only option of ordering?

In Oz it seems to be a free for all - order food, big tables of upto 10 friends, drink away like normal and get hammered

If it's going on what we are hearing in the trade it's a meal per person.drink half hour before the meal during it and for half hour after it. So no free for all here

So you’re looking at 2 hours max roughly at a table yeah? Think it was the same over there, although normality looks to have resumed now going by a few friends social media on Sunday night in Sydney, early hours job.

That’s fine I suppose. Will depend where you’re at too, can imagine a blind eye being turned to things depending on how rural the setting you’re in is.

So you’re looking at 2 hours max roughly at a table yeah? Think it was the same over there, although normality looks to have resumed now going by a few friends social media on Sunday night in Sydney, early hours job.

That’s fine I suppose. Will depend where you’re at too, can imagine a blind eye being turned to things depending on how rural the setting you’re in is.

Ya 2 hour slots we reckon. Have a meeting in work tomorrow to go through some of the details so will update here tomorrow evening at some stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Half the pubs from my home place are not reopening. At least not for a while. I imagine they just don't see it was viable under social distancing. Small rural pubs often depend on the busy Friday and Saturday nights to make a profit. The rest of the week they are only just about treading water.

• Advertisement

Half the pubs from my home place are not reopening. At least not for a while. I imagine they just don't see it was viable under social distancing. Small rural pubs often depend on the busy Friday and Saturday nights to make a profit. The rest of the week they are only just about treading water.

Yeah heard the same around my place,a few not opening up at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I miss the pub but I have no interest in being forced to have a feed in one when I only want a few pints. Or being turfed out because you're on a time limit. I'll just give the pub a skip for a while longer. I think a degree of sanity will ultimately emerge over time.

Yeah especially if you have to book them in Dublin. A few friends of mine from the north have been onto me already about coming down the first few weekends they open. But honestly - if you can only be in a place 2 hours , then have to leave after your slot and you can’t get in anywhere else without reserving tables, what’s the point?

Doubt they’re going to let groups in who appear to have a few drinks in them. It’ll be a while before there’s any sort of back to normal maybe.

With everyone needing table service too it could be a slow enough wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭showpony1

If it's going on what we are hearing in the trade it's a meal per person.drink half hour before the meal during it and for half hour after it. So no free for all here

is this not only the Phase 3 pubs that serve food?
    from July 20th will you be allowed just sit in any pub as long as you want at a social distance table?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭beachhead

"state employees" will be first in the door when pubs re-open(at opening time whatever that is)and you better not push the food bit too much or something might happen.Then the workers will arrive from 4pm onwards.Not all auldfellas as one poster claims.Then at normal drinking time(whatever that is)say 8pm onwards the door staff will say sorry we are full.

beachhead wrote: »
    "state employees" will be first in the door when pubs re-open(at opening time whatever that is)and you better not push the food bit too much or something might happen.Then the workers will arrive from 4pm onwards.Not all auldfellas as one poster claims.Then at normal drinking time(whatever that is)say 8pm onwards the door staff will say sorry we are full.

Its food or no entry in any pub I know here in cork including the one I work in ( up until the 20th july anyway) and were closing at the normal time we finished food before which is last orders 7.45

• Advertisement

Yawn the june 29th rules sound more like school than going out for a few drinks to enjoy yourself. Feel sorry for all the agro staff are going have too put up with

'Ah were only in the door'
    'What ye's mean we have too order food'

Yawn the june 29th rules sound more like school than going out for a few drinks to enjoy yourself. Feel sorry for all the agro staff are going have too put up with

'Ah were only in the door'
    'What ye's mean we have too order food'

Oh I'm dreading it already. As the rules state technically were acting as restaurants until july 20th. Its not going to be fun telling regulars that they cant just call and have a few pints. And of course I have the first shift ha going to be hell on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭UI_Paddy

But honestly - if you can only be in a place 2 hours , then have to leave after your slot and you can’t get in anywhere else without reserving tables, what’s the point?

Doubt they’re going to let groups in who appear to have a few drinks in them. It’ll be a while before there’s any sort of back to normal maybe.

I guess after July 20th you could reserve tables at multiple pubs throughout the night. For example be booked for one on George Street from 8-10pm, another on Camden Street from 10-12pm and so on.

It would be a much more controlled version of a night out than what we've been accustomed to.

When and if the "substantial meal" requirement is removed I could definitely see pubs struggling because the later they are open the more they will have to turn away customers that clearly had too much to drink at the last pub.

Only time will tell, but it's going to be a challenge unlike any the trade has ever faced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

June 29th Christmas day comes early in 2020, will be out all day and night :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Few problems, who is going to enforce all this? Will pub owners all want to adopt it? If no restaraunt licence is required, legally what requirement do pubs actually have to adopt these guidelines?

I'd have enough respect for the pubs owners to adhere to the rules on their premises, though I won't be enticed to go if it's restrictive to the point of absurdity. And demanding a two course meal really is absurd. To go to a restaraunt on June 29th are people going to have to have a two course meal regardless of whether they are drinking or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

Few problems, who is going to enforce all this? Will pub owners all want to adopt it? If no restaraunt licence is required, legally what requirement do pubs actually have to adopt these guidelines?

I'd have enough respect for the pubs owners to adhere to the rules on their premises, though I won't be enticed to go if it's restrictive to the point of absurdity. And demanding a two course meal really is absurd. To go to a restaraunt on June 29th are people going to have to have a two course meal regardless of whether they are drinking or not?

Of course not, the implementation will be practical. Order a proper main course and you can have drinks, order the soup only and they won't give you a heap of pints.

Are people really that desperate for a feed of drink that it has to be in a pub? A few beers with dinner isnt enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Benimar wrote: »
    Are people really that desperate for a feed of drink that it has to be in a pub? A few beers with dinner isnt enough?
    In Ireland you have to reach a certain milestone of consumed gargle before its considered a successful night out. At least we won't be getting dragged out to the dance floor.

Of course not, the implementation will be practical. Order a proper main course and you can have drinks, order the soup only and they won't give you a heap of pints.

I'm only going off the article in the Irish Times about two-course meals which could be untrue, but the principal is nonsense.

I get the idea of limiting crowds in pubs for the time being to avoid potentially high risk situations, and I'm in favour of that. But you could do that be saying no standing customers are permitted in phase 3 (which I think is what is happening anyway) without the need for people to have a meal. Again placing time limits in the short term on people being in the pub for those that are expecting huge demand does not bother me, and it may be a mechanism to spread business across pubs evenly if there are quieter ones that don't implement that.

All pubs should manage this via a booking system to avoid huge queues outside. All of that is common sense. But if I go to a supermarket, I don't have to spend 30 euro on groceries before they sell me alcohol. I might go to a pub once in those three weeks if they stick to the meals thing, so it's harming the businesses anyway plus another blow to smaller pubs who will see there capacity reduced significantly anyway beyond July 20th.

It's not about having 10 pints, it's about going to the pub I want to support and common sense in the application of these rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭showpony1

UI_Paddy wrote: »
    I guess after July 20th you could reserve tables at multiple pubs throughout the night. For example be booked for one on George Street from 8-10pm, another on Camden Street from 10-12pm and so on.

why after July 20th would there be a meal sized time slot for when you can stay in a pub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

showpony1 wrote: »
    why after July 20th would there be a meal sized time slot for when you can stay in a pub?
    It does not have to be meal time length slots. I think they are just saying some people like to head to a few pubs in an area and the pub is going to want maximium occupancy so may encrouage booking ahead, like restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭UI_Paddy

I'm only speculating but I could see it being implemented to reduce the risk of people not bothering with disinfecting themselves once they are drunk, especially because entry to each pub will likely require hand sanitizers. It may also be a good business move as more customers means more drinks sold. There are other factors to consider. Some people drink less than others, some prefer, or it is more convenient based on their location to go home earlier, etc.

Beer with food is a horrible experience. Any food needs to be consumed at least 4 hours before going out and on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,311 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is this not only the Phase 3 pubs that serve food?
    from July 20th will you be allowed just sit in any pub as long as you want at a social distance table?

Yeah until July 20th its restaurants, after that then its pubs so basically all pubs are restaurants for 3 weeks.

its quite simple really, phase 3 you can go to a pub that does food, have your meal and a few drinks.
    Phase 4 the pub is the pub, you can go in and have your few pints.

If your not going for food your waiting until July to go into a pub.

Some pubs will have booking in place others won't, I know a few that aren't putting it in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I was passing by Nancy Hands on Parkgate St at lunch and noticed that they had people in painting and cleaning. Looks like they're getting prepared for reopening.

It was nice to see

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

ShyMets wrote: »
    I was passing by Nancy Hands on Parkgate St at lunch and noticed that they had people in painting and cleaning. Looks like they're getting prepared for reopening.

It was nice to see

go there on a regular basis, into the bar anyway to watch the racing.
    Yes it's great i can't wait to get back to normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,218 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Is there somewhere that it is written that a person actually has to buy a meal in order to buy a pint?

When lockdown first came in, Hardware stores were not allowed to open. But, if you sold animal feed within the Hardware store, you were allowed to open the whole store as normal, but with added social distancing measures. If you did not serve animal feed, you had to wait.

Is this not just the same scenario? If you are a pub that can serve food, you can open. If you cannot serve food, you have to wait until July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I do think they will be plenty of grey areas. However, I do think that pub owners will not want to draw attention to themselves. So unless you know everyone that comes into the pub, if a pub starts letting the rules slip you are bound to have people commenting on social media.

It is not worth the hassle for the sake of a few weeks would be my guess. Of course you will have some that do it, but society will actually be the biggest brake on this as people have put up with a lot in terms of the lockdown and many are not going to accept people taking the mickey just so have a few pints.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Is there somewhere that it is written that a person actually has to buy a meal in order to buy a pint?

When lockdown first came in, Hardware stores were not allowed to open. But, if you sold animal feed within the Hardware store, you were allowed to open the whole store as normal, but with added social distancing measures. If you did not serve animal feed, you had to wait.

Is this not just the same scenario? If you are a pub that can serve food, you can open. If you cannot serve food, you have to wait until July.

Basically, for 3 weeks your a restaurant that can serve drink, 3 weeks passes and then your a pub that also happens to have food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Does a restuarant licence allow you to serve all types of drink, like a pub? My understanding was that it was different.

I ask because I happen to think this is a short sighted view by the Vitners. For years they have claimed to be the only ones that should have licence to sell, but now they are basically saying that they are the same as a restaurant.

But that goes both ways. Why not let cafes and restaurants have full licences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

go there on a regular basis, into the bar anyway to watch the racing.
    Yes it's great i can't wait to get back to normal

Nancy Hands is a good sized pub. They should be able to cope reasonable well with the new guidelines.

However, Ryans, beside them, could be in a bit of bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Animal feed was mentioned. Would an old style pub that sells odds and ends including animal feed be allowed open?

saabsaab wrote: »
    Animal feed was mentioned. Would an old style pub that sells odds and ends including animal feed be allowed open?

Yeah but you have to eat a bag of calf nuts before you can have a pint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I do think they will be plenty of grey areas. However, I do think that pub owners will not want to draw attention to themselves. So unless you know everyone that comes into the pub, if a pub starts letting the rules slip you are bound to have people commenting on social media.

It is not worth the hassle for the sake of a few weeks would be my guess. Of course you will have some that do it, but society will actually be the biggest brake on this as people have put up with a lot in terms of the lockdown and many are not going to accept people taking the mickey just so have a few pints.

The only thing is, with most retail re-opened this week, in three weeks time the usual curtain-twitching, bell-tolling naysayers will have enough to occupy their lives that I imagine any rules being broken could slip under the radar so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

I keep seeing the lockdown nazis claim the food thing is essential to break the atmosphere drink brings, that without it it will be drunken hugs and kissed and wrestling and all sorts.

People seem to be mistaking your local pub with a rave in 1995.

**** the food. You know what will prevent people grabbing each other?

Temporary bans on the things that make people do this.

No sport on TV for people to grab others celebrating.

No DJ or live band so people aren't falling out of each other locked singing when their tune comes on.

No 18th's, 21st's, christening parties or any other afters that encourages people to grab hold of each other.

No groups. Limit it to solo drinkers, couples, no more than four friends at a table.

This is feckin basic stuff like.

Advertisement