Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you miss the pub?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I keep seeing the lockdown nazis claim the ood thing is essential to break the atmosphere drink brings, that without it it will be drunken hugs and kissed and wrestling and all sorts.

People seem to be mistaking your local pub with a rave in 1995.

**** the food. You know what will prevent people grabbing each other?

Temporary bans on the things that make people do this.

No sport on TV for people to grab others celebrating.

No DJ or live band so people aren't falling out of each other locked singing when their tune comes on.

No 18th's, 21st's, christening parties or any other afters that encourages people to grab hold of each other.

No groups. Limit it to solo drinkers, couples, no more than four friends at a table.

This is feckin basic stuff like.

The temp regulations and rules coming in will make it hard for the solo drinker to find somewhere too go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Yeah but you have to eat a bag of calf nuts before you can have a pint

Or a bag of Red Mills?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Pub in my town, has a kitchen but hasn’t been probably used in Over 15 years, they do the odd party food so on. As far as I know they still keep the restaurant license.. are they allowed open even if they don’t do food anymore? Except for the basket of chips and cocktail sausages during a match??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Pub in my town, has a kitchen but hasn’t been probably used in Over 15 years, they do the odd party food so on. As far as I know they still keep the restaurant license.. are they allowed open even if they don’t do food anymore? Except for the basket of chips and cocktail sausages during a match??

They will be allowed to open only if they serve food. The phrase being used is that must serve 'a substantial meal'.

But just what exactly constitutes a substantial meal has yet to be clarified

ShyMets wrote: »
    They will be allowed to open only if they serve food. The phrase being used is that must serve 'a substantial meal'.

Era the basket of chips will do me!! ;)

• Advertisement

Era the basket of chips will do me!! ;)

And leave it on the side while I have my pints

A curry and chips! Not a fan of eating and drinking but this is a good combo.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    And leave it on the side while I have my pints

At least 6 pints and take the chips home in a takeaway carton :-)

At least 6 pints and take the chips home in a takeaway carton :-)

Sadly, judging by the guidelines issued for Hotels, I don't think pubs will get away with just a bowel chips.

And don't be surprised if every person at the table has to order food. The days of the lone pint drinker is over for a short while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

Sadly, judging by the guidelines issued for Hotels, I don't think pubs will get away with just a bowel chips.

And don't be surprised if every person at the table has to order food. The days of the lone pint drinker a over for a short while

Dublin, a city of 1.3 million people, reported a single case today.

We have been partially re opened for 3 weeks now and there hasn't even been a slight spike related to building sites and moderate increased use of public transport.

If by the middle of the week after the 22nd we are still hitting these rock bottom figures it is very hard to see how they can justify pubs only being allowed open in this manner.

By comparison the government cancelled Paddys Day on March 9th, by which stage the amount of active cases was probably multiplying by the thousands daily.

• Advertisement

Dublin, a city of 1.3 million people, reported a single case today.

We have been partially re opened for 3 weeks now and there hasn't even been a slight spike related to building sites and moderate increased use of public transport.

If by the middle of the week after the 22nd we are still hitting these rock bottom figures it is very hard to see how they can justify pubs only being allowed open in this manner.

By comparison the government cancelled Paddys Day on March 9th, by which stage the amount of active cases was probably multiplying by the thousands daily.

Fully agree. They are due to publish guidelines tomorrow. But I don't expect them to be in force for too long.

Even if you reduce it to one meter it will still be a pretty grim experience.

All going well I'll be back sitting at the bar by mid July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I keep seeing the lockdown nazis claim the food thing is essential to break the atmosphere drink brings, that without it it will be drunken hugs and kissed and wrestling and all sorts.
    I haven't heard anybody talking like that, nor seen any posts like that.

I have seen plenty simply mentioning the potential rules or laws, things that are in law already for restaurants. e.g. the meal must cost 9euro, only people eating can order drink. Payment before or after drinking (i.e. you can not keep ordering alcohol as you go). Drink only being served until 30mins after your meal (or it might have been drink finished 30mins after, not sure).

I find laws like these interesting, how they legally go about distinguishing the 2 things.

If they are required to follow all the laws relating to restaurants then there are numerous loopholes they can use.

Have you a link to these? I thought they can just serve chips, but it might have to cost 9euro. A loophole could be bowl of chips for 13euro, and 2 free pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭showpony1

had a accommodation booked in Galway for august bank holiday weekend originally for the races.
    I kept it - hoping most pubs will be something like normality by then or at least some good beer gardens.
    Will late bars/night clubs be opening 20th July?

The rules for Hotels/weddings are farcical

What's the point even paying for them ?

The rules for Hotels/weddings are farcical

What's the point even paying for them ?

And will be the end for a lot of small and medium hotels

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

And will be the end for a lot of small and medium hotels

Its quite possibly the greatest load of nonsense. There just won't be weddings until this has passed. Who's going to want that as their wedding day.

Someone there saying stay 2m apart the whole time, utter load of crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

The substantial meal legislation was posted earlier on this thread, but applies to "special restaraunt licenses". Now that was the initial impression given, but Varadkar specifically said they don't need a license on Friday. So I think their hands could be tied on this, by which I mean authorities/Gardai etc.

Bear in mind what we're advised under guidelines maybe different to what is enforceable or indeed actually enforced, for example:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/covid-19-garda%C3%AD-lose-enforcement-powers-over-movement-restrictions-1.4273899?mode=amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

My clubbing days are largely behind me but you do have to wonder how well they will come back. A lot of them weren't in great shakes before, young people just aren't as into clubs in the numbers they were even 10 years ago.

I blame the super strong weed around these days. Plenty of young lads seem to think Saturday night is a few j's and a few cans now.

I think they will come back. But they will have to adapt their business model a bit. . Distancing will be out the window this time next year for younger generations unless some apocalyptic 2nd wave happens.

When i saw hundreds of young people in crowds boozing up at the canal in portobello recently i could see how difficult it is to change the nature of human nature, especially with an age group that is at minimal risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1962/act/21/section/9/enacted/en/html#sec9

9.—(1) For the purposes of the Licensing Acts and the Registration of Clubs Acts a meal served in any premises after the commencement of this Act shall not be deemed to be a substantial meal unless—

(a) the meal is such as might be expected to be served as a main midday or main evening meal or as a main course at either such meal, and

(b) the meal is of a kind for which—

(i) having regard to the prices charged for meals in the premises at times other than prohibited hours, or

(ii) if meals are not normally served in the premises, having regard to all the circumstances,

it would be reasonable to charge a sum that is not less than—

(I) the sum (if any) that for the time being stands fixed under subsection (2) of this section, or

(II) if no sum stands fixed for the time being under the said subsection (2), five shillings.

(2) The Minister for Justice may from time to time, by order, fix such sum, being more than five shillings, as he considers reasonable for the purposes of subsection (1) of this section and may, by order, revoke or amend any order under this subsection.

It's now 9 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Its quite possibly the greatest load of nonsense. There just won't be weddings until this has passed. Who's going to want that as their wedding day.

Someone there saying stay 2m apart the whole time, utter load of crap

They'll be a member of staff in hazmat gear going around poking people with a stick who get within 2 metres of each other.

• Advertisement

They'll be a member of staff in hazmat gear going around poking people with a stick who get within 2 metres of each other.

Just give people a collar that fires off an electric shock if you get within 2M of another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

If it's a pub, why would they need a restaurant license? The pub licence would cover them for serving alcohol without the restrictions.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    If it's a pub, why would they need a restaurant license? The pub licence would cover them for serving alcohol without the restrictions.

In the initial roadmap Pubs could open in July but only if they had a Restaurant licences.

Under the revised roadmap, all pubs can open on the 29 of June but only if they serve food.

Those Pubs that don't serve food can reopen from mid July. Though I suspect that date will be brought forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

In the initial roadmap Pubs could open in July but only if they had a Restaurant licences.

Under the revised roadmap, all pubs can open on the 29 of June but only if they serve food.

Those Pubs that don't serve food can reopen from mid July. Though I suspect that date will be brought forward

I think restaurants were still allowed open June 29th, hence the provision made for pubs after lobbying by LVA. But Varadkar said they don't need a license. And I suspect that is because there would be potential legal trouble otherwise.

It was never stated that pubs selling food could open in July previously, it even specifically mentioned hotel bars staying closed on 20th July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

But pubs already have a licence to serve alcohol, they wouldn't need a restaurant licence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Most pubs will be open at end June.

Nothing will be done to ones who have no food served.

The end is near

But pubs already have a licence to serve alcohol, they wouldn't need a restaurant licence.

They are due to publish the Pub guidelines today.

My money is on them being even more farcical then the Hotel guidelines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭howiya

The original roadmap made a distinction between when restaurants and pubs could open. I think there was a six week period between the two.

So in order to serve alcohol in the intervening period many publicans already have restaurant licences and stated that they would reopen at the same time as restaurants under the terms of their restaurant licence. I know of at least one publican who went to the district court to obtain a restaurant licence so they could reopen in phase 3.

Latest announcement by Leo negates the need to go down that route. I suspect we'll eventually get to a place before June 29th where it will be announced that all pubs can reopen subject to social distancing and no evidence of a second wave etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

why oh why are we getting wrapped up on the food thing , i think this was a disaster route to go down. the easiest way out of the grey areas now is, let all pubs open that can operate table service. table service thats it, be it pints, food, crisps etc. this is done in american pubs/bars for decades, just keep it simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Most pubs will be open at end June.

Nothing will be done to ones who have no food served.

The end is near

I know a few owners who have no plans to open in July never mind June with the limits in place. Pubs will not flaunt this law imo. They already break the law every weekend and so need to keep gardai and judges on their good side or risk licensing issues, raids at 1.15 on a Saturday night when they should be empty, or lack of support if they need law enforcement. It isn't worth the hassle for what little turn over there is to be had until things go back to normal or close to it.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    why oh why are we getting wrapped up on the food thing , i think this was a disaster route to go down. the easiest way out of the grey areas now is, let all pubs open that can operate table service. table service thats it, be it pints, food, crisps etc. this is done in american pubs/bars for decades, just keep it simple.

American pubs and bars have less duty on sales and can pay their staff next to nothing while allowing them to live off tips. While Irish bar wages are rather poor these days it would still be a big overhead for a pub. You need servers, bar tenders and hosts to do that style of service, while reducing your capacity to seating only. Also Irish people and tabs don't often work out very well. When I worked in those style bars, Irish and English often got full and left without settling up often just out of habit, only to return the next day to pay bills. But not all of them would come back in.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I know a few owners who have no plans to open in July never mind June with the limits in place. Pubs will not flaunt this law imo. They already break the law every weekend and so need to keep gardai and judges on their good side or risk licensing issues, raids at 1.15 on a Saturday night when they should be empty, or lack of support if they need law enforcement. It isn't worth the hassle for what little turn over there is to be had until things go back to normal or close to it.

Come to Dundalk so, il guarantee 90% of the pubs will be open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Come to Dundalk so

Think I'd rather give it up completely..

Come to Dundalk so, il guarantee 90% of the pubs will be open

Ah sure Dundalk is the wild west of the east :D Maybe so! I know in Navan a couple of big places that serve food that plan to open a lot closer to the 20th of July and 3 bars that don't do food that are talking about opening closer to xmas! But maybe this could be a chance for change in the trade. I'd love to see licensing laws lifted so people could just open a new bar and try and compete, its why I feel food culture here has come leaps and bounds but a lot of our drink culture is still stuck in the past. 24 hour licensing would also help with social distancing and the likes, not having streets flood with people at the same time at night. But then I have a laundry list of changes I'd love to see happen to an industry I love that are better placed in a different thread :D

Ah sure Dundalk is the wild west of the east :D Maybe so! I know in Navan a couple of big places that serve food that plan to open a lot closer to the 20th of July and 3 bars that don't do food that are talking about opening closer to xmas! But maybe this could be a chance for change in the trade. I'd love to see licensing laws lifted so people could just open a new bar and try and compete, its why I feel food culture here has come leaps and bounds but a lot of our drink culture is still stuck in the past. 24 hour licensing would also help with social distancing and the likes, not having streets flood with people at the same time at night. But then I have a laundry list of changes I'd love to see happen to an industry I love that are better placed in a different thread :D

Pub in Inniskeen (Monaghan) in open right now. plenty across country are.

What are guards gonna do, be patrolling every pub in the country

They cant even control the streets never mind adding pubs to the list

• Advertisement

Pub in Inniskeen (Monaghan) in open right now. plenty across country are.

What are guards gonna do, be patrolling every pub in the country

They cant even control the streets never mind adding pubs to the list

They don't have to, ask any publican that has got on the wrong side of them. All they have to do is walk in on a Saturday night and 00:45 and if you are still serving (which you will be) or at 1:10 and if there are still customers on the premises (which there will be) they can come down on you. Now maybe they'll turn a blind eye like they do to the law breaking every pub does every week but it is a unique industry in that they know if you cross them they can ruin your trade any time they want. So it'll probably depend on how serious the local gardai take the issue.

So long as the 2m goes to 1m this isn't all that bad. Use table service where possible, there'll be an area of the bar you can order from. Not too bad as temporary measures go
    https://twitter.com/Jennifer_Bray/status/1270634017096957952?s=19

Dickie10 wrote: »

So long as we get the bar back at some stage and don’t go down that awful table service route permanently.

So long as we get the bar back at some stage and don’t go down that awful table service route permanently.

Nah no chance will that be permanent. Its all temporary until we're out of this and social distancing is something that doesn't exist. How long that is who knows but its all temporary

Nah no chance will that be permanent. Its all temporary until we're out of this and social distancing is something that doesn't exist. How long that is who knows but its all temporary

I hope you’re right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Spot on. Way too many people are becoming fixated on temporary measures. I'd look at this as a small tentative step towards normality again.

Might not be everyone’s favourite lager but Christ I’d love a cold pint of Budweiser!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

Might not be everyone’s favourite lager but Christ I’d love a cold pint of Budweiser!

Oh don't start. What I would do now for a pint of guinness. The cans of guinness while ok just arnt the same

Oh don't start. What I would do now for a pint of guinness. The cans of guinness while ok just arnt the same

Cans just don’t taste the same!!

I'll see your Guinness and raise you a Murphy's!

saabsaab wrote: »
    I'll see your Guinness and raise you a Murphy's!

I'll raise you both a Beamish

Oh my god there's still bud drinkers in the wild? I thought it was just a few kept in captivity nowadays! Figured it had all gone Coors and Rockshore by now.

Oh my god there's still bud drinkers in the wild? I thought it was just a few kept in captivity nowadays! Figured it had all gone Coors and Rockshore by now.

Rockshore is too weak for my liking, Mostly sold at concerts/matches nowadays. over €6 for a 4% drink

Rockshore is too weak for my liking, Mostly sold at concerts/matches nowadays. over €6 for a 4% drink

Sessionable beers I suppose. All light tasting. I remember Heineken Light coming out 3%, full price, tasted like beer flavoured water and still meant you had to get a lift or walk home!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

If any of ye have ever been lucky enough to get pints of Tennent’s (mostly in north) hard to come by down here, they’re the best lager on draught.

I honestly can’t understand why Heineken and carslberg are in every pub in Dublin, they’re popular all over the world but they’re both rotten.

Agreed rockshore is very light.

Sierra Nevada pale ale.. now we’re talkin

• Advertisement
Advertisement