Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you miss the pub?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

any news on the pub guidelines ??

you want a beer that will give ya a bit of buzz if our paying over €6. Im quite a fan of Stella but only really get them in Weatherspoons here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Oh my god there's still bud drinkers in the wild? I thought it was just a few kept in captivity nowadays! Figured it had all gone Coors and Rockshore by now.

Yeah my local had about 4 normal bud drinkers the rest would be Heineken, coors and fosters.
    I would drink rockshore if they had it though or smithwicks pale ale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

CBear1993 wrote: »
    If any of ye have ever been lucky enough to get pints of Tennent’s (mostly in north) hard to come by down here, they’re the best lager on draught.

I honestly can’t understand why Heineken and carslberg are in every pub in Dublin, they’re popular all over the world but they’re both rotten.

Agreed rockshore is very light.

Sierra Nevada pale ale.. now we’re talkin

You know what - I don't normally drink lager in the pub these days (well,.. no one drinks anything now) - but I agree - any time I am in Scotland, a pint of the red T is a good thirst quencher. Don't know if its the novelty value or what but it hits the spot.*

Its not really available up North now - its all Heverlee (but that is practically the same as Tennent's.

*Draught, cans are sh!te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Never understood the popularity of heineken. Prefer Harp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

ShyMets wrote: »
    They are due to publish the Pub guidelines today.

The term guidlines, which has been used officially, is interesting.

To me guidelines means advice, not an edict.

Is the legislation there for forcing non restaurants to operate under restaurant alcohol serving rules?

We need a mature take on this but forcing people to buy food is

a- pointless in regards to combatting the spread of the virus

b- unenforceable. Are inspectors going to come and feel the heat off my food to see if I got it recently and am still eating it, or whether it's my constant visual companion to allow me to sink 12 pints over the course of an evening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,523 ✭✭✭✭Esel

saabsaab wrote: »
    I remember back when if you ordered a pint of any lager around the eastern end of the border, you got a pint of Harp. The tap would say Carlsberg or whatever, but the keg was always Harp (which was brewed in Dundalk).

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I wonder, is it maybe the vinters that are looking for the food condition?

Firstly, they wanted to make themselves equivalent to a restaurant so that they could open sooner, remembering that this first came up when the original phase plan was released.

Second, if pubs are limited to the number of people who can enter, they will want to maximise the spend per person. Isn't it better to have each person buy a bassket of chips and then the pints, rather than just the pints?

saabsaab wrote: »

There’s not a pint out there that refreshingly hits the back of the throat as good as a cold pint of Harp. Tennents was the only one came close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Pints of Guinness, the racing on the tele, no loud students and a fire on in the corner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The Friday evenings are what really hit me.

Most Friday’s pre covid I would head out and have a fair few scoops, get properly buckled once a week at the least

Good times that I miss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Most Friday’s pre covid I would head out and have a fair few scoops, get properly buckled once a week at the least

Good times that I miss

Cannot beat the buzz of finishing work on Friday and having a few pints. Then die off on a Saturday and you still have Sunday off to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Was reading that unpublished report on the Irish Times and they recommend that servers "do not place the nozzle, tap, optic or bottle into the glass when pouring."

That's going to make for some awkward pours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Cannot beat the buzz of finishing work on Friday and having a few pints. Then die off on a Saturday and you still have Sunday off to enjoy.

True although what I don't miss is squandering most the wages on drink and horses then waking up on a Saturday with the sick feeling that you haven't a penny left for the week ahead but the craic with the lads was worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

We need a mature take on this but forcing people to buy food is

a- pointless in regards to combatting the spread of the virus

b- unenforceable. Are inspectors going to come and feel the heat off my food to see if I got it recently and am still eating it, or whether it's my constant visual companion to allow me to sink 12 pints over the course of an evening?
    this bizarre feigning of ignorance is getting utterly embarrassing, nobody is buying it, please stop trying to make complete cun ts out of people, when you are effectively only labeling yourself to be one.

e.g. do you think heat/temperature is mentioned anywhere in related laws? I did not see it, please give links, I might be wrong and genuinely did wonder if hot food is factor as it is regarding VAT.

I have said before and would continue to say there seems to be this fcuked up idea that anybody mentioning potential restrictions or laws is in 100% agreement that they must be in support of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭jt69er

CBear1993 wrote: »
    If any of ye have ever been lucky enough to get pints of Tennent’s (mostly in north) hard to come by down here, they’re the best lager on draught.

I honestly can’t understand why Heineken and carslberg are in every pub in Dublin, they’re popular all over the world but they’re both rotten.

Agreed rockshore is very light.

Sierra Nevada pale ale.. now we’re talkin

Best selling lager in parts of Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Pubs to me are places where you go to have a drink (or many), mingle with people and friends etc. have the craic and so on.

If I want to eat I go to a restaurant, and then finish it off with one or two in the pub before going home. It's what I do with my partner and friends where it happens.

Haven't missed it much at all TBH. During the great weather we enjoyed the garden with a coolbox full at the weekend. It worked fine.

I think I will give the reserve table for a drink and the social distancing in a restaurant a miss for a while to come. Will watch to see what happens, but it doesn't sound better than our own house/back garden at the moment anyway. Thank God for the off licenses and supermarkets selling alcohol too. The Government within an hour realised anything less would lead to mayhem!

Cooking stuff also passed the time I admit. But going to a pub right now doesn't fill me with enthusiasm.

Its going too really hit some of us esp when the premier league comes back . For a while no more sitting at the bar watching a match of a Saturday/Sunday. Pints after GAA games etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

What’s the story with nite clubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Oh my god there's still bud drinkers in the wild? I thought it was just a few kept in captivity nowadays! Figured it had all gone Coors and Rockshore by now.

Yep, I`ll second that, I would only murder a pint of Budweiser, it would`nt even touch the sides. Maybe the 2nd one would. Its disappointing to see Bud disappearing from a lot of Dublin pubs. Seems to be still reasonably gettable in rural locations. I think they shot themselves in the foot with the €5k they charged the publican for the new taps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Gods Gift wrote: »
    What’s the story with nite clubs?

July 20th I think as long as they can implement social distancing guide lines :D As if pubs weren't an issue. There is not enough money in the world to work security in a niteclub when they reopen! I should be fine to go to one though, even back in the day my dancing usually resulted in a 2 metre gap around me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Pubs to me are places where you go to have a drink (or many), mingle with people and friends etc. have the craic and so on.

If I want to eat I go to a restaurant, and then finish it off with one or two in the pub before going home. It's what I do with my partner and friends where it happens.

Haven't missed it much at all TBH. During the great weather we enjoyed the garden with a coolbox full at the weekend. It worked fine.

I think I will give the reserve table for a drink and the social distancing in a restaurant a miss for a while to come. Will watch to see what happens, but it doesn't sound better than our own house/back garden at the moment anyway. Thank God for the off licenses and supermarkets selling alcohol too. The Government within an hour realised anything less would lead to mayhem!

Cooking stuff also passed the time I admit. But going to a pub right now doesn't fill me with enthusiasm.

Drinking at home just isn’t the same at all.
    I can’t wait to saviour a pub atmosphere again, though I might sit it out until the measures are eased further down the line as it doesn’t sound like it’s going to any craic for quite some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Mr rebel wrote: »
    Drinking at home just isn’t the same at all.
    I can’t wait to saviour a pub atmosphere again, though I might sit it out until the measures are eased further down the line as it doesn’t sound like it’s going to any craic for quite some time.

I agree with you. That's why I will hold off for a while. No joy at the minute in a pub.

But the BBQ and a few beers in the garden (well during the fab weather for the worst of this lockdown) was grand too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i dont know why it is, but i can and could never settle myelf at a bar b que and a few drinks, i dont really know why, because i like food, drink and talking to people, nut could never really enjoy them very much i cant put my finger on it, and whats more i would have absolutly no thirst for alchol at one. i get very hard to ever go round to someones house for drinks unless we were heading to the pub afterwards, but definitly couldnt drink two or three bottles of beer in someones house on a saturday night id rather have two mugs of tea and a few biscuit as that. id love to say i really enjoy beer and bar b q but i dont at all

Really cant wait for the pubs to reopen and its not only the few pints that i miss after a long week in work.Its catching up with my mates,talking about the football,listening to the auld lads talking about the old days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

VonLuck wrote: »
    Was reading that unpublished report on the Irish Times and they recommend that servers "do not place the nozzle, tap, optic or bottle into the glass when pouring."

That's going to make for some awkward pours.

That doesn't make sense - the nozzle or optic shouldn't be touched by hand anyway, so I would have thought making sure they are kept clean (wiped down regularly) would be enough (in case or accidental contact).

The glass itself is more likely to be touched more than the optic nozzle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    any news on the pub guidelines ??

you want a beer that will give ya a bit of buzz if our paying over €6. Im quite a fan of Stella but only really get them in Weatherspoons here

Im in a small rural town and 2 out of the 5 pubs serve Stella as a few customers that frequent both were asking for it, was no bother for the publicans to get it in

I miss pints of Coors. Its just sugar and chemicals and a bit of alcohol but I'm awful fond of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Good times that I miss

Friday evening, after work, Dundalk on the telly. Great bit of craic.

I think the 29th of June is when everything will open. Only 8 cases today!!
    My cold pint of Budweiser is calling out to me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I see Varadkar saying knacker drinking is allowed if you are not pissed.

https://www.thejournal.ie/alcohol-drinking-public-places-legal-ireland-5120288-Jun2020/
    'Two or three glasses is not against the law': It's not illegal to drink in public places, Taoiseach tells Dáil

meanwhile according to the organisation the government looks up to.
    The World Health Organisation defines binge drinking as six units of alcohol, which is the equivalent of two 175ml glasses of wine.

glass.jpg?w=750
    I'm only on my first glass garda

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »

https://www.thejournal.ie/alcohol-drinking-public-places-legal-ireland-5120288-Jun2020/

meanwhile according to the organisation the government looks up to.

glass.jpg?w=750
    I'm only on my first glass garda

Brilliant!! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Like with the retail experience, in pubs you may get an initial surge of people who missed a pint of draught beer, being able to pop in for a pint after work, meet up with friends and spend the night going to all your favourite pubs around the city centres...

.....when people realise that initially you will have to book a table in advance with no more than 3 additional people, and order a main course each at least, that's if you can get a booking as a lot of pubs outside the city centre can't accommodate restaurant style food service, then you may hold off until all pubs can open... Only to realise that you'll most likely have to queue outside your usual pubs as if it was the opening night of a famous nightclub, that you can't stand or sit at the bar, and will have to sit at a seat/table 2m apart from the next, and the smoking area will likely disappear if the publican puts in tables to try and get enough customers in to be able to pay the bills alone.

A night out will be a very costly and more likely to be a sobering experience.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Like with the retail experience, in pubs you may get an initial surge of people who missed a pint of draught beer, being able to pop in for a pint after work, meet up with friends and spend the night going to all your favourite pubs around the city centres...

.....when people realise that initially you will have to book a table in advance with no more than 3 additional people, and order a main course each at least, that's if you can get a booking as a lot of pubs outside the city centre can't accommodate restaurant style food service, then you may hold off until all pubs can open... Only to realise that you'll most likely have to queue outside your usual pubs as if it was the opening night of a famous nightclub, that you can't stand or sit at the bar, and will have to sit at a seat/table 2m apart from the next, and the smoking area will likely disappear if the publican puts in tables to try and get enough customers in to be able to pay the bills alone.

Yeah its doesnt sound like fun and is even more frustrating. Pure waste of money

[/I]

With this been siad by our leader could we see more pubs opening up for takeaway pints and then you drink them in a nearby park ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Yeah its doesnt sound like fun and is even more frustrating. Pure waste of money

With this been siad by our leader could we see more pubs opening up for takeaway pints and then you drink them in a nearby park ?

The Pub experience just won't be the same, and many won't bother. Dropping in for a casual pint after work won't work. Sitting at a table and ordering a meal when you just want a couple of pints before the next bus arrives.. no thanks..

The enforcement of physical distancing and mask wearing to people full of beer won't be task i'd envy anyone trying to do.

Even going to the jacks will mean queuing up and waiting, so you'll be away for 15 mins or so for quite a number of times depending on the condition of your bladder...

The Gards shut down a Pop-up beer van in the car park of one pub a couple of weeks ago, and no residents near a pub will tolerate people getting drunk outside there door and pssing in the gardens...

The Pub experience just won't be the same, and many won't bother. Dropping in for a casual pint after work won't work. Sitting at a table and ordering a meal when you just want a couple of pints before the next bus arrives.. no thanks..

The enforcement of physical distancing and mask wearing to people full of beer won't be task i'd envy anyone trying to do.

Even going to the jacks will mean queuing up and waiting, so you'll be away for 15 mins or so for quite a number of times depending on the condition of your bladder...

The Gards shut down a Pop-up beer van in the car park of one pub a couple of weeks ago, and no residents near a pub will tolerate people getting drunk outside there door and pssing in the gardens...

Yeah very true all that, hopefully numbers are kept down and maybe less restrictive might come in

crazy when you think of it 'Our leader out drinking topless in public' Surely he had a garden in his residence big enough ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i think people here are constantly thinking of popular city/town centre bars, surely people will just head down the road to an aul fella bar where they can get a table no problem, i can actually see it being far less crowded in pubs than people think. grand if people want to line up outside a pub but the way this set up is each pub willl be the same i would imagine sitting at a table, would you not just go an unpopular quiet pub where you dont have that problem. thank god i will have plenty of choice and wont have to worry about queing around here.

Drifter50 wrote:
    Yep, I`ll second that, I would only murder a pint of Budweiser, it would`nt even touch the sides. Maybe the 2nd one would. Its disappointing to see Bud disappearing from a lot of Dublin pubs. Seems to be still reasonably gettable in rural locations. I think they shot themselves in the foot with the €5k they charged the publican for the new taps

What makes you think Budweiser charged for new taps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i think people here are constantly thinking of popular city/town centre bars, surely people will just head down the road to an aul fella bar where they can get a table no problem, i can actually see it being far less crowded in pubs than people think. grand if people want to line up outside a pub but the way this set up is each pub willl be the same i would imagine sitting at a table, would you not just go an unpopular quiet pub where you dont have that problem. thank god i will have plenty of choice and wont have to worry about queing around here.
    Pre-Covid the locals I went to sometimes had spillover from the city centre but hopping between them I almost always found an empty table.

Personally I would put a fence around Temple Bar and quarantine tourists and other non-locals there. :rolleyes:

Im in a small rural town and 2 out of the 5 pubs serve Stella as a few customers that frequent both were asking for it, was no bother for the publicans to get it in

Stella on draught is available throughout the country, distributed by C&C Gleeson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

He's saying there is no state law against it, which there isn't but before you go cracking cans in your town square most counties and local authorities have bye-laws that make it illegal. Honestly my advice, travel coffee cups are everywhere these days and no one even bats an eyelid at you sipping out of one. Life hack ;)

He's saying there is no state law against it, which there isn't but before you go cracking cans in your town square most counties and local authorities have bye-laws that make it illegal. Honestly my advice, travel coffee cups are everywhere these days and no one even bats an eyelid at you sipping out of one. Life hack ;)

With most of it spilling down your front from those blasted things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

jt69er wrote: »
    What makes you think Budweiser charged for new taps?

2 publicans told me they had to pay a premium for those taps with the ice on the shaft and that it was €5k unless they committed to a crazy purchase of stock. Do you know something else on this matter maybe from the inside. Do share with us if you do cos we need to stop the reversal of Bud disappearing from the line up of taps. If fewer and fewer people are drinking Bud then they are not going to stock it if it adds to their costs

On a different note, Oh for a cold one.......................

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Drifter50 wrote: »
    2 publicans told me they had to pay a premium for those taps with the ice on the shaft and that it was €5k unless they committed to a crazy purchase of stock. Do you know something else on this matter maybe from the inside. Do share with us if you do cos we need to stop the reversal of Bud disappearing from the line up of taps. If fewer and fewer people are drinking Bud then they are not going to stock it if it adds to their costs

On a different note, Oh for a cold one.......................

no way does a pub pay for taps , it's the other way around , glessons have bud now , and they are only changing fobs if you want . 5k me hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Just booked myself and the OH in for dinner in a local on the 1st of July. Have a hair appt on the 29 June. It's good to have plans as bland as they may have seemed in the past!

I would imagine all pubs will be allowed open as normal by end of June.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

never_mind wrote: »
    Just booked myself and the OH in for dinner in a local on the 1st of July. Have a hair appt on the 29 June. It's good to have plans as bland as they may have seemed in the past!

I would imagine all pubs will be allowed open as normal by end of June.

did they give you a 2hr time slot for booking or what way was it done

• Advertisement

@ Drifter 50
    All taps and associated equipment in bars are the property of the Breweries. There is no charge for the installation of a product, in fact there is usually an incentive for the publican to install a new beer, usually in the form of free kegs. When Budweiser Ice was launched it required a specific glycol cooler to be installed to generate the formation of ice on the countermount. Diageo incorrectly informed the publicans that this cooler would add a minimal amount to their electricity bills. However it was subsequently found out that in fact it added substantially to electricity bills, maybe that's where €5k came from. Budweiser is being distributed from July 1st by C & C Gleeson, this should see an increase in tap numbers as it has been neglected by Diageo in recent years in favour of their own brand's.

just 5 more weekends
    2 more if for food/drink

With the crowds at the openings of Mcdonalds and Pennys i can see there been a rampage for the pubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

did they give you a 2hr time slot for booking or what way was it done

We got a two hour slot. I’d say if there isn’t someone coming to fill our seats that we’d be allowed stay for awhile longer for drinks but we’ll see

I don’t know whether to floor or savour the first pint I get when they reopen!! Either way I’ll be langers after 2, have hardly touched a drop since March ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

2 hour slots? Usually I find the 3rd hour the best, the first two yer only getting going. Then the 4th hour yer better off leaving anyway and going home after a messy kebab. They're messing with the sweet-spot with these rules

• Advertisement
Advertisement