Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you miss the pub?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Made a playist for the lockdown too enjoy with a few drinks. Enjoy

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4Q4cRl3MzBuYaZP91Emo42?si=Sty6OEhXTZ2NjPu1OOVv9g

Saturdays are getting harder and harder too take especially with the good weather 😑😑

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

A lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

NewRed2 wrote: »
    2 hour slots? Usually I find the 3rd hour the best, the first two yer only getting going. Then the 4th hour yer better off leaving anyway and going home after a messy kebab. They're messing with the sweet-spot with these rules

You could knock back many a pint in two hours. The first would go down in a few minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

saabsaab wrote: »
    You could knock back many a pint in two hours. The first would go down in a few minutes!

The first pint in the pub will be gone in no time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

saabsaab wrote: »

7/8 in 2 hrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

7/8 in 2 hrs

Easily done, but the hill home will be hard to navigate ;)

Santy2015 wrote: »

You're doing it wrong

Although to be honest itll take a while to get back to being able to do that. Haven't had a pint since @10 march. Cans are muck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Hills only on the way there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

does anyone else think all pubs will be allowed open with table service from june 29? surely that would be easy enough to let in at this stage.vfi should campaign for it.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    does anyone else think all pubs will be allowed open with table service from june 29? surely that would be easy enough to let in at this stage.vfi should campaign for it.

have a feeling a lot could change between now and the 29th June. Even more so by 20th July

1M rule would be a godsend for pubs. What difference does it make for someone to sit at the bar than sitting at a table ??. The Bar is great for a lone drinker killing some time before a bus etc

yea i think its very unfair leaving non food bars waiting til july 20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Although to be honest itll take a while to get back to being able to do that. Haven't had a pint since @10 march. Cans are muck

It’s like I said in an earlier post, have hardly touched any beer since March 13th. Bought 8 cans of Rockshore cider June bank holiday. Had all 8... mother of all headaches on the Monday!!
    2 pints of cold bud and I’ll be snoozing ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

yea i think its very unfair leaving non food bars waiting til july 20

it's so it can be regulated properly , no way they go straight back to people sitting at the bar , it was the temple bar ****e that kicked all of this off .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

It’s like I said in an earlier post, have hardly touched any beer since March 13th. Bought 8 cans of Rockshore cider June bank holiday. Had all 8... mother of all headaches on the Monday!!
    2 pints of cold bud and I’ll be snoozing ;-)

I had a few cans of rockshore lager last night and I've been fu*cked all day. Awful headache. The stuff is only 4% too

Just keep it in a low gear.

it's so it can be regulated properly , no way they go straight back to people sitting at the bar , it was the temple bar ****e that kicked all of this off .
    cant they just do table service in regular pubs? why the need for food? like say its saturday 8pm, you go to a pub have a steak sandwich and two pints, then you want to head on for a change of scenery so you go up the street, dont tell me you have to go in and eat something again? what about obesity, vegans, too much red meat in diet etc.

cant they just do table service in regular pubs? why the need for food? like say its saturday 8pm, you go to a pub have a steak sandwich and two pints, then you want to head on for a change of scenery so you go up the street, dont tell me you have to go in and eat something again? what about obesity, vegans, too much red meat in diet etc.

The food piece is only for the first 3 weeks at the moment, in phase 4 the meal requirement to go into a pub is gone.

• Advertisement

the same temple bar which is quite generally full of tourists and stags. In those videos that went around I'd be surprised if there was a handful of Irish people in them.
    Most people have the cop on to steer clear of temple bar

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Zero. They should stay closed. The nights are so much quieter and the streets so much safer since the pubs closed. It's worth the small sacrifice. It will also give other social avenues a chance to flourish. Ireland suffers in the whole from the pub culture. I definitely don't miss the drunken singing of rebel songs. Uggh. Better if without them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What difference does it make for someone to sit at the bar than sitting at a table ??. The Bar is great for a lone drinker killing some time before a bus etc

The virus hasn't gone away, Pub staff have to work every day so having people sat there close to them risks exposing them to Covid, not to mention it may also encourage people to congregate at the bar, also if someone sitting at the bar is coughing or lets off a sneeze it will spread germs onto the bar area where glasses and other items are kept..

So without Perspex screens at the bar, and staff with face gards, masks and gloves it's not safe at all.

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    Zero. They should stay closed. The nights are so much quieter and the streets so much safer since the pubs closed. It's worth the small sacrifice. It will also give other social avenues a chance to flourish. Ireland suffers in the whole from the pub culture. I definitely don't miss the drunken singing of rebel songs. Uggh. Better if without them.

It's no "small sacrifice" to keep the pub trade closed....

The 80,000 people employed in the hospitality sector and rely on pubs for a living may disagree with you.
    Not to mention the fact that Ireland is famed for its pub culture and tourists travel from all over the world to experience it.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    It's no "small sacrifice" to keep the pub trade closed....

The 80,000 people employed in the hospitality sector and rely on pubs for a living may disagree with you.
    Not to mention the fact that Ireland is famed for its pub culture and tourists travel from all over the world to experience it.

True. They will reopen anyway and things will be back to normal soon, drunken singing, drink driving, brawls on the street and outside supermacs. But will be a missed opportunity. Ireland has more to offer than pubs.

True. They will reopen anyway and things will be back to normal soon, drunken singing, drink driving, brawls on the street and outside supermacs. But will be a missed opportunity. Ireland has more to offer than pubs.

True of course, but it's the one of the most unique things Ireland has to offer, Pubs&Hospitality that other countries just can't...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I don't think the opportunity has been lost. Clearly the easy option is to get things back open, but IMO, peoples attitudes will have changed.

People will have seen less drunkenness on the streets, less issues with A&E, less drink driving.

Calls by the likes of Healy-Rae that we need a drink will be harder to sell since we survived 12 weeks and apparently it was all about meeting people, the drink was a side issue.

It won't change overnight, but I think this lockdown will increase the pace of change.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. A better mid point can be found.

I think bars will now look to increase average spend per customer. Craft beers, food etc. Not just serving up the same in every bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Shockingly, people aren’t actually forced to go to the pub in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

I’d say you’re great craic Jim. Must get you on the wedding list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I don't think there will be much difference in Irish attitudes towards the pub once things return to normal (whenever that may be). It's far too ingrained in us for just over 3 months without it to suddenly have everyone start sipping espressos and artesian spring water from mountain glaciers.

Only difference will likely be we'll have less pubs as many will go out of business this year.

Shockingly, people aren’t actually forced to go to the pub in Ireland.

They kind of are. Christmas parties, christening, birthday parties, end of week outings, farewell drinks, meeting your mates, footy matches.

So, sure, there is no law saying anyone has to go, but they way Ireland is set up most things revolve around the pub.

• Advertisement

I don't think there will be much difference in Irish attitudes towards the pub once things return to normal (whenever that may be). It's far too ingrained in us for just over 3 months without it to suddenly have everyone start sipping espressos and artesian spring water from mountain glaciers.

Only difference will likely be we'll have less pubs as many will go out of business this year.

It had already started. Many pubs had already closed in the previous few years. People are more active, young people are baulking at the high prices.

Many pubs had already branched out to a more restaurant style.

Will this be a further step? No idea, we have never had an event such as this.

point is they dont have to revolve around pubs, theres no law saying that. do hotels not cater better for this, for people who want to have private functions in a family friendly environment. plus if people dont want to see the bad side of drink they can go to lots of quiet pubs. i really must be living in a differnet world to most of you. but theres a lot of pubs i can think of where there wouldnt be music or crowds on a saturday night. just tv on without sound or down low, people chatting all seated, plenty of room. can go from5-7 people to 10-14 on a busy night. then theres some pubs where its a constant 5-8 people max every night. have any of you seen killinaskully? i know quite a few pubs like that, when are there more than 8 people ever together in that pub

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It had already started. Many pubs had already closed in the previous few years. People are more active, young people are baulking at the high prices.

Many pubs had already branched out to a more restaurant style.

Will this be a further step? No idea, we have never had an event such as this.

Young people baulking at the high prices ?? Have you seen major towns and cities at the weekends?? Far from baulking at the prices. When college is on you'll get most pubs in Dublin fairly busy from Wednesday onwards.

Pubs and clubs are always busy with young people, a fairly sweeping inaccurate statement you've come out with there.

Pubs closing had nothing to do with people becoming more active, they weren't viable, the local village with 4 pubs didn't need 4 pubs.

Most places have a food offering anyway if you wanted something with your few pints and come 10pm they close the kitchen and become pubs again. The gastro pub model is very popular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

Have Wetherspoons confirmed under what conditions they are re opening, if they are ready to go on the 29th? When the pubs were talking about exploiting the restaurant loopholes Spoons said they weren't going to and were looking at the old August re open date.

Their pubs are effectively already set up for social distancing and table service so you would imagine they have the least logistics to plan.

Have Wetherspoons confirmed under what conditions they are re opening, if they are ready to go on the 29th? When the pubs were talking about exploiting the restaurant loopholes Spoons said they weren't going to and were looking at the old August re open date.

Their pubs are effectively already set up for social distancing and table service so you would imagine they have the least logistics to plan.

I'd assume they'll open with the rest of the pubs in July but yeah given the model its fairly straightforward for them to implement the guidelines. The one in Abbey Street i only ever use the app and you can't order at the bar upstairs anyway.

Won't be much of a difference for them

you know the first night of pubs they will be videos of people signing arm and arm and how much they missed the place etc

https://youtu.be/Lum-2ejJPrI

CBear1993 wrote: »
    I’d say you’re great craic Jim. Must get you on the wedding list

Classic! What fun you are! Lol.

I'd assume they'll open with the rest of the pubs in July but yeah given the model its fairly straightforward for them to implement the guidelines. The one in Abbey Street i only ever use the app and you can't order at the bar upstairs anyway.

I'd far rather queue than use the mandatory table service upstairs, but for a pint that's what, 2.70 below the town average, you can't complain :pac:

I hope their expansion plans haven't taken a fatal hit because of this. The other pubs in town are taking the absolute piss price wise these days (although perhaps the current mini recession will bring them back to reality price wise).

You don't sound like you venture out late at night Jim, so what odds does it make to you how safe or unsafe the streets are?

If you weigh up the stats I'd imagine there has been more stabbings from Feb to July this year than any other recent year because people are cooped up indoors or street drinking with weapons handy. At least three serious knife attacks in Dublin in the last few days alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Never liked going out to pubs so dont miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I was in it twice in Jan and Feb and never knew they had an App for table service. Only dropped in for a couple hours both times. Not a real pub vibe i felt as more akin to a restaurant but the grog was very reasonable price. Think i got 3 bottles beer for 10e or 12e where any other pub in town your looking at 6e a bottle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Classic! What fun you are! Lol.

Write that one down jim you might get use out of it again on here, on the ball today sir!

I'd far rather queue than use the mandatory table service upstairs, but for a pint that's what, 2.70 below the town average, you can't complain :pac:

I hope their expansion plans haven't taken a fatal hit because of this. The other pubs in town are taking the absolute piss price wise these days (although perhaps the current mini recession will bring them back to reality price wise).

Exaclty it is what it is, usually where we meet before going somewhere else, a few pints at well below the price elsewhere, stay there for an hour or 2 and then move on to somewhere else.

I know they're planning one in Galway and have another 2 due to open in Dublin, one on Camden Street is a hotel too and then one in Grand Canal.

I was in it twice in Jan and Feb and never knew they had an App for table service. Only dropped in for a couple hours both times. Not a real pub vibe i felt as more akin to a restaurant but the grog was very reasonable price. Think i got 3 bottles beer for 10e or 12e where any other pub in town your looking at 6e a bottle.

yeah I'll give it to them the app is quite handy, could work well for other larger pubs too

Yeah. We should cycle everywhere too. And wear a set uniform supplied by the government. And be given nutrition supplements instead of food. Ban everything, and hand us back to the Brits while you’re at it.

You’re some ****ing pox to be spouting that bile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The thing with pubs is there should be a pub to suit everyone's needs. There are pubs that serve very good food. Quiet pubs for quiet drinkers. Pubs who place a big emphasis on live music. Large super pubs. Pubs that are purely drinking pubs. Hipster pubs. Rock music pubs. Old lads pubs.

Everyone should be able to find a pub that suits them. Apart from people who don't like pubs and they are usually quick to tell you that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

The thing with pubs is there should be a pub to suit everyone's needs. There are pubs that serve very good food. Quiet pubs for quiet drinkers. Pubs who place a big emphasis on live music. Large super pubs. Pubs that are purely drinking pubs. Hipster pubs. Rock music pubs. Old lads pubs.

Everyone should be able to find a pub that suits them. Apart from people who don't like pubs and they are usually quick to tell you that anyway.

That's it exactly, my only trips to the pub over the last year have been mainly early Saturday or Sunday afternoon after a bit of shopping to watch some football and have a few pints and a sandwich, only usually a handful of others in pretty much doing the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I wonder will the bar in Dublin Airport reopen along with all the other pubs?

The one with the smoking area outside? That place was a godsend before a flight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Leroy42 wrote: »
    They kind of are. Christmas parties, christening, birthday parties, end of week outings, farewell drinks, meeting your mates, footy matches.

So, sure, there is no law saying anyone has to go, but they way Ireland is set up most things revolve around the pub.

I’ve never been forced to go to any of the above.

• Advertisement

I’ve never been forced to go to any of the above.

I never said you were. But Irish society is very much focused on the pub.

Are you really attempting to argue that?

Advertisement