Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you miss the pub?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭argentum

I wonder will the bar in Dublin Airport reopen along with all the other pubs?

The one with the smoking area outside? That place was a godsend before a flight...

I wonder would the airlines like having passengers on the planes with a few pints in them and bursting for a piss before they even take off
    Hopefully not

argentum wrote: »
    I wonder would the airlines like having passengers on the planes with a few pints in them and bursting for a piss before they even take off
    Hopefully not

It’s been open before now, won’t be a new thing. Very odd statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

You don't sound like you venture out late at night Jim, so what odds does it make to you how safe or unsafe the streets are?

If you weigh up the stats I'd imagine there has been more stabbings from Feb to July this year than any other recent year because people are cooped up indoors or street drinking with weapons handy. At least three serious knife attacks in Dublin in the last few days alone.

Quite the opposite, I'm not one to stay at home staring at the idiot box. The streets are so much more pleasant at night now with the pubs closed. Haven't seen anyone drinking outside at night though plenty during the day. Which I have no issue with. Mostly they are of the undesirable demographic, but they don't bother me so they can kill whatever of their capricious brain cells that remain for all I care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    Quite the opposite, I'm not one to stay at home staring at the idiot box. The streets are so much more pleasant at night now with the pubs closed. Haven't seen anyone drinking outside at night though plenty during the day. Which I have no issue with. Mostly they are of the undesirable demographic, but they don't bother me so they can kill whatever of their capricious brain cells that remain for all I care.

We get it. You don't like pubs. But unfortunately for you, they wont all be closing down any time soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭argentum

It’s been open before now, won’t be a new thing. Very odd statement.
    New rules on planes no queueing on the planes to use the toilets.
    You have to get permission to use it from the staff on the plane
    Ryanair have been asking for years to cap the alcohol sold.It wouldnt surprise me if they tried to get the pubs closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

What's annoying me is all this "be sure to support your local pub" mullarkey. I mean what did they ever do for me except give me hangovers and hoover out my wallet? Sure, they're part of Irish society, but overall I mean they're probably detrimental to our society as a whole with all the problems alcohol causes, and it's not like you can't just buy it wherever you want anyway **runs for cover**

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

What's annoying me is all this "be sure to support your local pub" mullarkey. I mean what did they ever do for me except give me hangovers and hoover out my wallet? Sure, they're part of Irish society, but overall I mean they're probably detrimental to our society as a whole with all the problems alcohol causes, and it's not like you can't just buy it wherever you want anyway **runs for cover**

My local pub gave me my first job and that job made sure I got through 4 years of college so yes I'll support them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

My local pub gave me my first job and that job made sure I got through 4 years of college so yes I'll support them

I worked in one too for absolute peanuts in the 90s and have paid them back probably about 1000 times over by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Been talking to a few friends that moved to the continent to bar tend to get an idea of what it is gonna be like going back here and they seem to be busy, then again they are usually set up for table service and only had to reduce tables and stock up on PPE. Speaking of the masks make it a little harder to catch your breath in the weeds so I think there'll be a regular trip to the keg room to cool down if things do get busy here.

Edit at least people won't be able to say, "It doesn't hurt to smile" :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

They gave you a hangover and hoovered out your wallet? You had no choice I presume. Of course support the local you like there's nothing better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I really like cans of Guinness. They're almost as good as the pub, without the atmosphere of course.

I'm in Japan so for the price of one Guinness in the pub, I can get a selection of 6 - 8 cans/bottles.

I've been experimenting with light beers. They definitely have their place! I can drink 4 cans of San Miguel Light or Tsingtao Draft and feel absolutely perfect the next day (no hangover or tiredness whatsoever).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The food piece is only for the first 3 weeks at the moment, in phase 4 the meal requirement to go into a pub is gone.

As far as I can see, you don't actually need to buy a meal in order to have a pint.

Can you confirm that it actually is the rule that you have to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

FitzShane wrote: »
    As far as I can see, you don't actually need to buy a meal in order to have a pint.

this meal thing is to do with restaurants. Restaurants were going to be allowed open before pubs so pubs which had restaurant licences said they would legally be allowed open too, but would presumably have to open as a restaurant NOT a pub. All these rules & laws about meals etc relate to restaurants. So the real question is are they only allowed open up as restaurants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

FitzShane wrote: »

Yea, it's the restaurant license that's in play - if and a big if- a bar has one. So food has to be served (anyone going to 'nightclubs' in the 80's might remember they had to serve food - they operated under a restaurant license and could open later than bars so long as they served food).

My local has a restaurant license throughout, owner told me if I wanted to come down for a pint he's keep a few old chicken bones and put them in front of me in case there were and 'visitors'!

rubadub wrote: »
    this meal thing is to do with restaurants. Restaurants were going to be allowed open before pubs so pubs which had restaurant licences said they would legally be allowed open too, but would presumably have to open as a restaurant NOT a pub. All these rules & laws about meals etc relate to restaurants. So the real question is are they only allowed open up as restaurants.

Its a grey area really until the guidelines are published but at the moment it looks like they want any pubs that open to operate as restaurants for the first 3 weeks. That would involve a "substantial meal". I can honestly see most places opening up regardless, food or not. The grey area is leo said a week ago that they wouldn't need a restaurant licence to open while previous guidance was that they would.

Let's not forget they've also said hotels could open but no hotel bars, just doesn't make sense most of it.

IRE60 wrote: »
    Yea, it's the restaurant license that's in play - if and a big if- a bar has one. So food has to be served (anyone going to 'nightclubs' in the 80's might remember they had to serve food - they operated under a restaurant license and could open later than bars so long as they served food).

My local has a restaurant license throughout, owner told me if I wanted to come down for a pint he's keep a few old chicken bones and put them in front of me in case there were and 'visitors'!

really is a big grey area with previous guidance saying yes only those with restaurant licences first and leo last week saying they wouldn't need a licence.

Guidelines for bars due this week so we'll soon see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

My understanding was that if a 'premesis' had the capability of serving a meal, then they were allowed to operate a bar service. But you had to be able to serve a meal to open the doors in the first place. The same as during initial stages of lockdown that if a hardware store was selling animals feed, then they were allowed to open up and sell paint as the doors were allowed open due to the fact they were selling animal feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The "meal" thing is patently unworkable, just more pandering theater from the govt, it will never be enforceable and will quickly be forgotten about.

A five year old could think of a dozen ways to work around the requirement for a meal, it's a bit sad that people even need to discuss this.

really is a big grey area with previous guidance saying yes only those with restaurant licences first and leo last week saying they wouldn't need a licence.

Guidelines for bars due this week so we'll soon see what happens.
    I didn't know the Dr. changed his medical advice on the matter. apols!

The "meal" thing is patently unworkable, just more pandering theater from the govt, it will never be enforceable and will quickly be forgotten about.

A five year old could think of a dozen ways to work around the requirement for a meal, it's a bit sad that people even need to discuss this.
    Grogans Bar* in Dublin - one of the first to close its doors before ordered to do so by the Government I would like to note- would sell hundreds of toasted samwidges during the week. Is that then covered?
    *If you haven't been inside, go!

• Advertisement

IRE60 wrote: »
    I didn't know the Dr. changed his medical advice on the matter. apols!

Its a case of the goalposts moving all the time. Nobody seems to know for yet what the conditions of reopening are, can places keep standard licenced hours or do they have to close early like restaurants. The 2m v 1m debate / decision is one of the biggest for the hospitality industry at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It's because the pubs want it every way. For years they have argued 4that they are unique, now they want to be be restaurants .

Not surprising that the law is struggling to adao4 to such a changeable situation .

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I really like cans of Guinness. They're almost as good as the pub, without the atmosphere of course.

I'm in Japan so for the price of one Guinness in the pub, I can get a selection of 6 - 8 cans/bottles.

I've been experimenting with light beers. They definitely have their place! I can drink 4 cans of San Miguel Light or Tsingtao Draft and feel absolutely perfect the next day (no hangover or tiredness whatsoever).

Got a takeaway pint of Guinness from a pub over the weekend and I must say, it was gorgeous. Granted it was my first pint since early March, but there was no comparison to the cans!

You have to remember it was the vinters who put forward the idea of opening bars earlier as quasi restaurants and the government went with. You can't then complain about the govt. introducing silly rules like you have to order a meal when it was the pubs (well as in touch with pubs as the VFI is) that wanted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I never said you were. But Irish society is very much focused on the pub.

Are you really attempting to argue that?

I said no one is forced to go to the pub. Your reply was “they kinda are”. For some people Irish society is focussed on the pub. Not everyone. You can function perfectly fine in Ireland, socially and otherwise, without having to step into a pub. If you feel programmed to attend the pub that’s on you, not society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Its a grey area really until the guidelines are published but at the moment it looks like they want any pubs that open to operate as restaurants for the first 3 weeks. That would involve a "substantial meal". I can honestly see most places opening up regardless, food or not. The grey area is leo said a week ago that they wouldn't need a restaurant licence to open while previous guidance was that they would.

Let's not forget they've also said hotels could open but no hotel bars, just doesn't make sense most of it.

This is the thing I can't get my head around at all.

I have stayed in a lot of hotels over the years, and never once have I seen the bar packed with guests. Aside from weddings, a lot of the time they would be at a very manageable level. I mean, you don't go to a hotel to hang around at the bar- you pan out on the bed or use the leisure facilities, and explore the local town. Maybe have a night-cap in the bar before bed.

Red tape nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Because they want people to continue doing just that, but in the absence of other pubs or limited availability they could easily have guests congregating in the hotel bar if it were open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Got a takeaway pint of Guinness from a pub over the weekend and I must say, it was gorgeous. Granted it was my first pint since early March, but there was no comparison to the cans!

Yeah I should have qualified that I'm talking about Guinness in Japan. The cans are definitely better...!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭UI_Paddy

I said no one is forced to go to the pub. Your reply was “they kinda are”. For some people Irish society is focussed on the pub. Not everyone. You can function perfectly fine in Ireland, socially and otherwise, without having to step into a pub. If you feel programmed to attend the pub that’s on you, not society.

Yeah, no one is forcing anyone to go to the pubs, but there is still huge amounts of peer pressure because it's so ingrained in our culture. I've worked with people who socialize in coffee shops for example, and it's been a successful avenue for them, but they've certainly had a number of people ask them to come to the pub on several occasions.
    Leroy42 wrote: »
    Because they want people to continue doing just that, but in the absence of other pubs or limited availability they could easily have guests congregating in the hotel bar if it were open.

Yeah, if the recent reopening of Penney's is anything to go by I can only imagine the demand for any pubs that were allowed reopen and operate as they used to. There are hotels in the city centre that would easily be used as backups without any of the other popular pubs open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

2 more weeks to go til we can have a pint in a pub like setting

It going to be mayhem and be like when Woodies, Mcdonalds etc opened back up

PTH2009 wrote: »

Both of them combined won’t even come close.

PTH2009 wrote: »

They'll be an initially surge. But once people get a taste of what life in pubs post Covid is like. I dont know how many will be racing back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

ShyMets wrote: »
    They'll be an initially surge. But once people get a taste of what life in pubs post Covid is like. I dont know how many will be racing back

I’m going anyway ðŸºðŸºðŸºðŸº

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Santy2015 wrote: »
    I’m going anyway ðŸºðŸºðŸºðŸº

I'm going to wait until July 20th, we have a weeks holidays and i hope to send herself for a nice 3 hour hair appointment while i enjoy a few peaceful pints :D

I'm going to wait until July 20th, we have a weeks holidays and i hope to send herself for a nice 3 hour hair appointment while i enjoy a few peaceful pints :D

I’ll be skipping to it. Seems as if everything will reopen on the 29th of June. Dr Tony is reviewing restrictions this week

• Advertisement

I’ll be skipping to it. Seems as if everything will reopen on the 29th of June. Dr Tony is reviewing restrictions this week

Sadly I'll have to wait until we can drink at the bar again. Hopefully not too long

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

For those of us who enjoy the special ambiance of Dublins pubs and all the hidden gems dotted around the city of which we all have our favourites for various reasons, waking up on Mon 29 Jun is going to be a pretty good feeling. I've always enjoyed drinking on a Monday due to work so this will probably be one of the best Mondays ever.

ShyMets wrote: »
    Sadly I'll have to wait until we can drink at the bar again. Hopefully not too long

Love sitting at the bar on my own, especially on a Monday night(no work on a Tuesday) but if I need to sit at table for a while I’ll do it. I miss it just for the walk to and from the pub and getting to have a think and google stuff I’ll never do ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Is there anything legally to stop a pub group to open all their pubs this coming Saturday for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭Ned Led Zeppo

There is,a nice hefty fine.

• Advertisement

For those of us who enjoy the special ambiance of Dublins pubs and all the hidden gems dotted around the city of which we all have our favourites for various reasons, waking up on Mon 29 Jun is going to be a pretty good feeling. I've always enjoyed drinking on a Monday due to work so this will probably be one of the best Mondays ever.

Those hidden gems are the best. Just popping into somewhere you've never been before and once in there asking yourself the question 'How come i never knew this place existed.'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Is there anything legally to stop a pub group to open all their pubs this coming Saturday for example

not getting their licence renewed too , and a bunch of Karens with signs out front :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Where before it was a challenge to be able to cross the city without passing by a pub, on Mon 29 the new challenge will be to find a speakeasy that you don't have to buy food of any sort. If any of my regular haunts have their doors open i may be able to avoid the unneccesary purchasing of a toasted ham n cheese or a stew or fish n chips, for why break the habit of a lifetime and ruin a good session with some food? I'm firmly in the 'eating is cheating' school of thought. When i'm 'on it' food is the last thing on my mind. Going to be an interesting day thats for sure :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Where before it was a challenge to be able to cross the city without passing by a pub, on Mon 29 the new challenge will be to find a speakeasy that you don't have to buy food of any sort. If any of my regular haunts have their doors open i may be able to avoid the unneccesary purchasing of a toasted ham n cheese or a stew or fish n chips, for why break the habit of a lifetime and ruin a good session with some food? I'm firmly in the 'eating is cheating' school of thought. When i'm 'on it' food is the last thing on my mind. Going to be an interesting day thats for sure :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

What's this now? All restrictions are under consideration to be lifted? Didn't see it on the main news sites. I've no problem with measures to contain rowdiness in the early stages (no sport, no music, no groups etc) but as Chalk McHugh says food and drink don't mix for me. Eat at most 30 mins before, not sooner and not during.

While it isn't beloved of the purists Wetherspoons in Blanch had some lights on today. Couldn't see any activity inside mind, but given their Ryanair type business model I can't imagine the lights have been left on for the craic since last March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Do we know yet what kind of opening hours the pubs will be allowed? I’m guessing they will have to close by 9 or 10pm for the first couple of weeks at least if we are following the trend of other european countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

im loving the curtin twitchers and anti pub brigade the way they are now grasping at straws saying "oh people wont go to pubs when they see what they are like" etc, we all know every single pub is unique they are not brands like mcdonalds, diferent pubs , different population centres , busy, quiet etc. onw pub they will be at your ear the minute u enter making you sit here and there others wont bat an eye lid if there real quiet places. one meter will be in for sure, with 1 meter you can easily sit at bar and order pints, if you were sitting closer than 1 meter from anyone in any pub under normal circumstances it would be uncomfortable anyway. a meter apart you caan chat to randomers no problem.

Mr rebel wrote: »
    Do we know yet what kind of opening hours the pubs will be allowed? I’m guessing they will have to close by 9 or 10pm for the first couple of weeks at least if we are following the trend of other european countries.

seeing as they're only allowed to open at the moment if they're doing food then it'll be by the kitchen hours. Know of one place near me that'll be open 1-11 for the first 3 weeks. Last tables for booking 9pm, kitchen closes around 10.30.

Now thats officially but also know of another place where I've been told I won't have any issues arriving up at 9 or 10 and staying for a few pints until the usual closing times, now that's probably because they know me but its probably going to happen in most places.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    im loving the curtin twitchers and anti pub brigade the way they are now grasping at straws saying "oh people wont go to pubs when they see what they are like" etc, we all know every single pub is unique they are not brands like mcdonalds, diferent pubs , different population centres , busy, quiet etc. onw pub they will be at your ear the minute u enter making you sit here and there others wont bat an eye lid if there real quiet places. one meter will be in for sure, with 1 meter you can easily sit at bar and order pints, if you were sitting closer than 1 meter from anyone in any pub under normal circumstances it would be uncomfortable anyway. a meter apart you caan chat to randomers no problem.

Huge difference between 1m and 2m for the entire hospitality industry. Unless your on top of someone most places would have fairly close to a meter gap between tables as it is

Huge difference between 1m and 2m for the entire hospitality industry. Unless your on top of someone most places would have fairly close to a meter gap between tables as it is

Yes it would really help the industry if we can safely get to 1m. I dunno what that takes though. However I still think that restricts the bar to a no go zone as staff won't be able to operate behind it while maintaining a 1m distance from punters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement