Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you miss the pub?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Mr rebel wrote: »
    Germans? Seriously?
    I could not disagree more. The most craic filled nights out I’ve had have been in German cities with the locals.

This. Been for a few football trips to Germany, the best crack has been in local bars with locals, i love German pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

ah i can see the pubs being opened up maybe the week after the food only thing, 20th july brought forwrd to 6th july, but maybe they will knock the whole lot and just let them open june 29th that would be the sensible option, trying to shoehorn people into pubs with food its just messing. really to be honest all pubs could open on june 29th there will be zerp monitiring of this food craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

2nd of July could well be a massive nigh for Pubs with Liverpool winning the league that night. Lads with the Friday booked off work and out for celebratory pints the Thursday night. There will be no meals that night with a killing to be made on pints with Liverpool fans celebrating with each other. A long overdue one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

The food more often than not will end up f*cked in the bin leading to massive waste.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

PTH2009 wrote: »
    A few frozen pizzas cooked in the oven or microwave

Did any other country have too do this 'food only' bollocks ?

northern ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

should just come out and say june 29 all pubs that can provide table service are opened

Dickie10 wrote: »
    should just come out and say june 29 all pubs that can provide table service are opened

nope be afree for all, stuff failte ireland is coming up with no one will want to go to the pub anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I think I understand what there trying to go for
    'Full stomachs = less drinking, less rowdy and people will go home earlier'

Like other posters have mentioned no interest in food and drinking at the same time. Food a few hours beforehand and enjoyable few hours on the drink

Hard to drink on a full and bloated stomach for me anyway

Yea its important to not leave your home on an empty stomach. Foolishly ive made this schoolboy error on a few occassions. Usually i like a light enough meal something like tinned salmon and toast or some scrambled egg with a cup of tea about 1-2 hours before get started on the jungle juice. Ive always preferred day drinking so i usually start around 2pm. Few drinks, few bets, and see where the day leads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

We didn't have to. We could have just kept pubs closed till phase 4. It was a compromise to try and help those that could open as a restaurant for a few weeks in phase 3. You can still wait till phase 4 to go for a pint like it would have been if they hadn't agreed to the 'food only' bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Will any hotels show the Premiership matches? Like to watch the mighty Spurs against United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

YFlyer wrote: »
    Will any hotels show the Premiership matches? Like to watch the mighty Spurs against United.

Hotels won’t be open until 10 days after the final whistle, so I’d imagine not :D

YFlyer wrote: »

their bars aren't open , **** all business will be renewing sky/bt for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Dickie10 wrote: »

Good luck getting staff to go back as part timers while the 350 covid payment is still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

their bars aren't open , **** all business will be renewing sky/bt for a while

Especially when you consider what they charge per month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

FitzShane wrote: »
    2nd of July could well be a massive nigh for Pubs with Liverpool winning the league that night. Lads with the Friday booked off work and out for celebratory pints the Thursday night. There will be no meals that night with a killing to be made on pints with Liverpool fans celebrating with each other. A long overdue one too.

You know that for a fact do you? Liverpool could win the PL as soon as next Sunday or maybe against Crystal Palace the following mid week. Then again if they go on a poor run of form it could be well into July before the title is won.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

You know that for a fact do you? Liverpool could win the PL as soon as next Sunday or maybe against Crystal Palace the following mid week. Then again if they go on a poor run of form it could be well into July before the title is won.

Sure he hasnt a clue considering pubs are closed until the 20th july ha ha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Seems an utter waste of time doing this for 3 weeks. With any luck another 9 days of rock bottom figures and they will knock it on the head (I'm assuming NPHET will be giving a report the Friday beforehand same as they have before every major easing)

Nope. They won`t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

Nope. They won`t.

Figures were higher than they are now when they threw 90% of the programme out the window. Apart from the pubs we are essentially back to normal now socially, if not employment wise.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    And you would pay €9 for that?

Other countries haven't done this as they simply kept the pubs closed until they wanted them open. We have landed at this silly middle ground where everyone has to pretend they are in a pub for a meal mainly.

If you’re desperate enough to want to go to what will only be an excuse for a pub., yes you would.

€9 for a toastie - just pretend it’s 2004 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Yeah it was done here in New Zealand for a few weeks. Any pub with a kitchen that could do a meal (there wasn't a minimum spend set) was allowed to open, with the caveat that it was table service only. Some places stuck to it rigidly, other places not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Independent reporting hospitality industry will be allowed to reduce from 2m to 1m if customers leave after 90 minutes. Who actually comes up with these unbelievably stupid suggestions. There'll be nobody after 90 minutes saying times up we better move 2m apart. No chance that when pubs open properly in July that any pub will say after 90 minutes on you on move your 2m apart there

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/two-metre-rule-ditched-for-pubs-if-customers-leave-after-90-minutes-39292293.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Yeah it was done here in New Zealand for a few weeks. Any pub with a kitchen that could do a meal (there wasn't a minimum spend set) was allowed to open, with the caveat that it was table service only. Some places stuck to it rigidly, other places not so much.

The NZ PM was mocking Ireland a few weeks back for the slow pace of the back to normal plan.

Separately, I see two people escaped quarantine and now NZ is no longer Covid free but now the military is in charge at the border. I guess an open economy with strict isolation is a positive for New Zealand - I fear we do not have that luxury given how connected we are to the EU and indeed U.K. and the US.

The NZ PM was mocking Ireland a few weeks back for the slow pace of the back to normal plan.

Separately, I see two people escaped quarantine and now NZ is no longer Covid free but now the military is in charge at the border. I guess an open economy with strict isolation is a positive for New Zealand - I fear we do not have that luxury given how connected we are to the EU and indeed U.K. and the US.

If there’s a few hundred cases by the end of the week there we’ll see how funny she is then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

I think I understand what there trying to go for
    'Full stomachs = less drinking, less rowdy and people will go home earlier'

Like other posters have mentioned no interest in food and drinking at the same time. Food a few hours beforehand and enjoyable few hours on the drink

Hard to drink on a full and bloated stomach for me anyway

I agree, usually home from work on a Saturday at 3.30 have a bite to eat, shower, get ready and walk the 15 mins to my local for the 5 o clock game. Stay for the game have a pint after it, missus rings saying she’s ordered the takeaway I go in and get it and she collects me. Out for 5 home for 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Jaysus lads it does look like it could be a bit of a nightmare on the 29 of Jun. If pubs stick to these directives you may pay 9e for a meal in the first pub that allow you in but if you have to leave after 90 mins nobody is going to pay another 9e minimum in another pub for another meal only to have to leave again after 90 minutes. That wouldnt be much fun. The smell of all that food surrounding you wouldn't be nice.

I still hold out some hope that some pubs i know will bend the rules a small bit but it may be wiser to hold out until 20 July at this stage to get a proper no food/no hassle drink.

• Advertisement

Jaysus lads it does look like it could be a bit of a nightmare on the 29 of Jun. If pubs stick to these directives you may pay 9e for a meal in the first pub that allow you in but if you have to leave after 90 mins nobody is going to pay another 9e minimum in another pub for another meal only to have to leave again after 90 minutes. That wouldnt be much fun. The smell of all that food surrounding you wouldn't be nice.

I still hold out some hope that some pubs i know will bend the rules a small bit but it may be wiser to hold out until 20 July at this stage to get a proper no food/no hassle drink.

All going well my local will be smart enough and get around it somewhat. But in all seriousness I’d say you went in, paid the €9 and the Barman gave you a receipt saying you had a turkey and ham dinner.. how the f/ck is any inspector going to know if I’ve eaten or not then? Basically your paying the €9 to enter the pub, but that should cover your first 2 pints were i am. It’s €4.50 for Heineken and Budweiser on draught and €3.90 for fosters or carling. All I want is a few ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Based on those guidelines I suspect a lot of pubs will just hold off and reopen in July.

Its just too much hassle

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

What's to stop a group of 4 people sitting at a table each booking a time slot in the pub?

That's the evening sorted for one €9 meal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What's to stop a group of 4 people sitting at a table each booking a time slot in the pub?

That's the evening sorted for one €9 meal?

Each person needs to buy it, not the table.

Santy2015 wrote: »
    All going well my local will be smart enough and get around it somewhat. But in all seriousness I’d say you went in, paid the €9 and the Barman gave you a receipt saying you had a turkey and ham dinner.. how the f/ck is any inspector going to know if I’ve eaten or not then? Basically your paying the €9 to enter the pub, but that should cover your first 2 pints were i am. It’s €4.50 for Heineken and Budweiser on draught and €3.90 for fosters or carling. All I want is a few ;)

Why would your local do that? They can get an extra €9 from you, why do you think they should turn their nose up at it?

Unless they expect no customers then in effect letting you in on that basis but excluding another punter makes no sense

I think you have the wrong impression of your relationship with your local - or rather, their relationship with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

Why would your local do that? They can get an extra €9 from you, why do you think they should turn their nose up at it?

Unless they expect no customers then in effect letting you in on that basis but excluding another punter makes no sense

I think you have the wrong impression of your relationship with your local - or rather, their relationship with you.

It's the regulars that will keep pubs going long after all this bull**** is over. They won't take advantage for a lousy 9 euro. They are business's, they're not stupid.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Each person needs to buy it, not the table.

For every 90 min slot as well ?

Going to be very hard to police that everyone at the table bought a meal, what about late comers etc.

Will these rules be like face mask 'recommendations'?

Like everything in this country, rules are for other people. People will find a way around this (customers and pubs alike).

emo72 wrote: »
    It's the regulars that will keep pubs going long after all this bull**** is over. They won't take advantage for a lousy 9 euro. They are business's, they're not stupid.

Fair enough.

Business on its knees due to lost few months, forced to spend money on cleaning and reorganizing, limit on number of customers.

It's a business, how many free pints have they delivered to you during lockdown because you are a regular?

Because you are a regular means they know you ain't going anywhere and you'll happily pay. Not like you can get a better deal somewhere else.

What I’m saying is, you can get your meal if you want and pay the €9 or whatever it costs but if I’m only going in for 3/4 pints he could just give a receipt for €9 for a dinner instead of 2 pints? I don’t have an unhealthy relationship with the pub, one of my friends owns it and he’s still trying to figure out what to do. They have a kitchen that’s been unused for a number of years. But has got a decent beer garden, floor area( food area) and a good sized Lounge. It’s just about getting out of the house and having a bit of time to yourself even if it means table service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I’d rather have a few drinks at home,leave the car parked,watch the telly and eat if I want instead of dealing with all that other boll1xology.
    Buying food so you can drink.
    Fcukin nonsense the lot of it and half the fcukers there just to be seen.
    Think I’ll let the drama queens punch themselves out and let the dust settle before I’d be bothered to go to the pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

ShooterSF wrote: »
    We didn't have to. We could have just kept pubs closed till phase 4. It was a compromise to try and help those that could open as a restaurant for a few weeks in phase 3. You can still wait till phase 4 to go for a pint like it would have been if they hadn't agreed to the 'food only' bollocks.

Well that was generous of them. Its a wonder they didn't leave them closed say til Christmas, sure what harm could it do...

Its quite simple, if you want to go for a pint and some food that's grand 29th June

If you want to go for just pints 20th July.

The whole suggestion of 1m for 90 minutes max is laughable, 90 minutes up right get your 2m apart

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

the food and 90 minute thing is laughable,
    these rules will last about a week at most

Would it not just make sense to let all pubs open on the 29th June.

The current approach is ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Good luck getting staff to go back as part timers while the 350 covid payment is still there.

I would imagine that many of the part-timers such as myself have regular 9-5s and so were not eligible for the €350.
    The whole suggestion of 1m for 90 minutes max is laughable, 90 minutes up right get your 2m apart

Nope. It's 90 mins are up, out you go. You can only stay in the pub for an hour and a half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭howiya

ShyMets wrote: »

I understand the initial differentiation between pubs and restaurants in the initial roadmap. The etiquette is different, easier to keep people apart etc.

If the government had stuck to their guns on that I'd say fair enough.

The fudge they appear to be coming up with now however is ridiculous and impractical.

I expected that they would continue along the lines of speeding up the reopening and let all pubs open with social distancing on June 29th but it would appear now with the drip feeding of draft restrictions that this won't be the case.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I would imagine that many of the part-timers such as myself have regular 9-5s and so were not eligible for the €350.

Nope. It's 90 mins are up, out you go. You can only stay in the pub for an hour and a half.

Yeah which I'm saying its laughable, its not going to last or be implemented when they reopen properly in July. You actually think a quiet pub any night of the week is going to say after 90 minutes out you go. We do our local football club lotto in the pub on a Sunday night. We're there from 8 until 11. Will they tell us at 9.30 out yous go, not a hope in hell.

All well and good for while serving food through to 20th July

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

This. Been for a few football trips to Germany, the best crack has been in local bars with locals, i love German pubs.

Was in Koln on the first Sunday of Festival in 2018, makes Paddy's Day look tame

ShyMets wrote: »

Make sense for who?

This is aimed at limiting social gatherings. It only makes sense to let all pubs open if they believe the danger has passed, which they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Separately, I see two people escaped quarantine and now NZ is no longer Covid free but now the military is in charge at the border.

Are you referring to the 2 women who legally entered the country to visit their dying mother, went into quarantine but showed no symptoms and were granted special exemption to go her before she died, unfortunately she died before they could reach her and they were only able to attend the funeral but during the entire visit the only person they had direct contact with was another family member?

Is that what you mean when you say two people "escaped" quarantine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Make sense for who?

This is aimed at limiting social gatherings. It only makes sense to let all pubs open if they believe the danger has passed, which they don't.

Its okay though because the danger magically passes on July 20th.

From RTE, note the 90 minutes at the moment seems to relate to food service premises, regardless its going to cause issues.

"Government sources indicated they refer to a maximum length of stay of 90 minutes in a food service premises and the requirement for mandatory pre-booking by customers.

The hospitality trade had been lobbying hard for a reduction in the 2m rule, because providers say it will not be economically viable for them to reopen with a 2m rule in place.

But there is concern that a defined maximum length of stay and mandatory pre-booking for customers may prove to be impractical for many providers, particularly those dependent on walk-in clients."

AdamD wrote: »

Sunday 19th July, I'll have 2 pints with my carvery please. Monday 20th, well thats all changed, I'll just have a pint please.

As if by magic 24hrs everything changes

Opening up all pubs on a certain would also potentially lessen demand. Punters would have a lot more choice and opposed to trying to get to get into a smaller number of pubs

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    Sunday 19th July, I'll have 2 pints with my carvery please. Monday 20th, well thats all changed, I'll just have a pint please.

As if by magic 24hrs everything changes

Are you suggesting that the closures themselves, the last 12 weeks were not required?

I agree with you. I think the pubs should remain closed until 20 July, which it appears what you are arguing for.

No date marks a specific end of course, but points have to be chosen. Would 19th, or 21st mean any difference, probably not.

Advertisement