Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you miss the pub?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It is not about what people want, nobody wanted the last 4 months.

It is what is acceptable, from a risk POV. I don't play play golf, more a GAA or soccer person, but one cannot deny that it is far less risky to allow golf clubs to reopen before GAA due to the nature of the games.

And, due to the nature of pubs, they pose a significantly higher risk profile than many other industries. But they have sought to make accommodations. Like take away pints and now restaurant openings.

If a pub cannot abide by the rules then they should remain closed until such time as they can. That is the new reality of where we are. Until a vaccine is found, or they find someway to erradicate it completely, then there is a risk.

The authorities, with the medical experts, have decided that this is the right approach.

Its quite simple really, pubs as restaurants for 3 weeks as it stands, from 20th July they're currently able to open as pubs again.

Most pubs will be able to abide by 1m between tables, no standing etc. That should be enough for somewhere to open on the 20th July, when the pub is full and tables are left then that's it no more people coming in.

Pubs being closed until a vaccine lets be honest isn't something that'll happen.

It'll be up to each pub, firstly have they a food offering is it viable to open end of June, secondly then can we open 20th July and again is it viable.

Presumably the €9 will just turn into a cover charge after the first night and, given the way pubs treat customers over the years, it’ll remain long after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

one thing I have noticed is that its very hard to hear with those shields at the till. Maybe its me. We went to our local chipper recently and it was so hard to speak and hear from the outside.

Protect yourself though. I work with the public myself and when we are allowed back to work we wont be responsible for enforcing social distancing. Dont know who will yet but wont be us.

Yeah I was very anti face shield and pro mask but I've flipped tbh. I think it'll be easier to catch your breath if it gets busy but more importantly, and I don't think it is being emphasised enough, is that people who lip read (and there's one that drinks in my bar) will be put in a very anxious situation if we wear masks. Accessibility trumps everything where possible imo. It'll definitely feel stupid at first though!

Presumably the €9 will just turn into a cover charge after the first night and, given the way pubs treat customers over the years, it’ll remain long after this.

Maybe 20 years ago when you just had to open your doors and be jammed. When you could charge in for Stephen's night and not even put on live music. Not now. Don't worry your 9euro is safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It is what is acceptable, from a risk POV. I don't play play golf, more a GAA or soccer person, but one cannot deny that it is far less risky to allow golf clubs to reopen before GAA due to the nature of the games.And, due to the nature of pubs, they pose a significantly higher risk profile than many other industries. But they have sought to make accommodations. Like take away pints and now restaurant openings.
    If a pub cannot abide by the rules then they should remain closed until such time as they can. That is the new reality of where we are. Until a vaccine is found, or they find someway to erradicate it completely, then there is a risk.

Yes I know what risk is funnily enough...We all take risks everyday in life, it's a part of it. If you don't want to take a risk then stay at home and get cans.

People have had 3 months to get to grips with how to wash hands etc.

Keeping them closed until a Vaccine is found is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

But these are not normal times as they. SOme new ways of doing things will need to be observed.

Many restaurants offer 2 hour sittings, particularly early bird, lunch etc. It isn't unusual. Of course one can argue about 90 minutes, but is another 30 minutes really going to make a massive difference?
    I never these were normal times? :confused:

Yes, there's a large difference between 90 minutes and 120 minutes in a restaurant context. Sure why not 60, Or 30?
    Based on how pubs operate usually, when closing times are a suggestion to get last orders, the idea of 90 minutes is that people will always take extra time so 90 is a good way to aim for 100 or even 120.
    This makes absolutely no sense. Closing time isn't a suggestion to get last orders? That's last orders.
    And a 90 minute limit isn't 100 or 120, it's 90 minutes.
    House parties are perfectly acceptable, but people need to take personal responsibility. Don't go to a house party with more than 6, keep SD in operation. People go to house parties after normal pub hours so I don't see this as a major issue.
    This isn't normal times, as you pointed out.

House parties have been a problem throughout the supposed lockdown. If people were going to take personal responsiblity and maintain social distancing after skulling as much drink as they can in 90 minutes, you wouldn't need the restrictions in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,933 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Owner saying too Bobby the local 'ah sure look Bobby you can come in for a few pints, you be grand ill say nothing'

If they don't like the look of ya 'we're booked up bud'

This is going to interesting and can see plenty of aggro

MOH wrote: »
    House parties have been a problem throughout the supposed lockdown.
    If people were going to take personal responsiblity and maintain social distancing after skulling as much drink as they can in 90 minutes, you wouldn't need the restrictions in the first place.

Good point about House Parties, all I see coming out of Supermarkets and off-licences especially later in the week are people with trolley fulls of cheap booze... You can buy 8 cans of Guinness for almost €1 per 500ml can, and a bottle of Whiskey for around €15, so for the price of a "€9 compulsory meal" and a couple of beers you have enough Booze to give you a 2 day hangover!

And people are bringing that booze to mates house parties with no 2m between tables, no 90mins time limit.... And they are causing an absolute headache for neighbours listening to loud music and shouting until all hours..

Open the pubs on the 29th, Covid can't tell the difference between a Restaurant and a Pub anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

be interesting to see how staff are treated in the event of an outbreak. Say a pub had a to close for a day or two but all staff would need to quarantined for 14 days.

Testing seems to be a lot quicker now. Tested day 1, result day 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Good point about House Parties, all I see coming out of Supermarkets and off-licences especially later in the week are people with trolley fulls of cheap booze... You can buy 8 cans of Guinness for almost €1 per 500ml can, and a bottle of Whiskey for around €15, so for the price of a "€9 compulsory meal" and a couple of beers you have enough Booze to give you a 2 day hangover!

And people are bringing that booze to mates house parties with no 2m between tables, no 90mins time limit.... And they are causing an absolute headache for neighbours listening to loud music and shouting until all hours..

Open the pubs on the 29th, Covid can't tell the difference between a Restaurant and a Pub anyways!

ok but you seem to forget pubs are a workplace. People taking the piss and going to house parties shouldnt be compared to pubs. What you risk in your private home is your own business - I wouldnt do it and havent but then again my partner got diagnosed with Cov19 a couple of weeks ago.

Pubs like cafes restaurants and any workplace. Anyone going in with the intention of taking the piss should be barred in my opinion.

Pubs have been closed now for nearly 4 months...they want to open and stay open.

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Yeah I was very anti face shield and pro mask but I've flipped tbh. I think it'll be easier to catch your breath if it gets busy but more importantly, and I don't think it is being emphasised enough, is that people who lip read (and there's one that drinks in my bar) will be put in a very anxious situation if we wear masks. Accessibility trumps everything where possible imo. It'll definitely feel stupid at first though!

well said. I was surprised how muted the shield was but maybe it was me. I dont think there is word yet if they shields will be needed at bars though.

ok but you seem to forget pubs are a workplace. People taking the piss and going to house parties shouldnt be compared to pubs. What you risk in your private home is your own business - I wouldnt do it and havent but then again my partner got diagnosed with Cov19 a couple of weeks ago.
    Pubs like cafes restaurants and any workplace. Anyone going in with the intention of taking the piss should be barred in my opinion.
    Pubs have been closed now for nearly 4 months...they want to open and stay open.

Well, I would assume that bar staff will be walking around in masks, face shields and gloves. And that the bar will be closed off with perspex screens. Ordering from an app is also another option in some establishments.
    Supermarket staff have been working non-stop since March, and I've not heard of a spike in cases or shutdowns .

Bar managers always retained the right to refuse service, and I am sure will do so if customers start messing about etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Will there be Social Distancing and reduced capacity in July? Iv a feeling the regulars will go in during the day and then the Landlord will put up sign saying "sorry we are full/closed" but then will let in others thru the backdoor during the night. Aparently a good few pubs in rural areas were letting people in the past few months and only a few were caught

Well, I would assume that bar staff will be walking around in masks, face shields and gloves. And that the bar will be closed off with perspex screens. Ordering from an app is also another option in some establishments.
    Supermarket staff have been working non-stop since March, and I've not heard of a spike in cases or shutdowns .

Bar managers always retained the right to refuse service, and I am sure will do so if customers start messing about etc.

Again supermarkets are not comparable to pubs and restaurants. The issue from a health perspective is people in a confined space for a long period of time. Same for schools, universities, offices and public transport.

Just been to aldi - I spent maybe 15 mins there and was on the move the whole time.

I dont know anyone spending 2 hours in a supermarket - in one spot and not moving.

I think maybe we have all forgotten what March was like when cases were more frequent in businesses. Localised cases will happen again unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Does anyone believe that if an entity like Failte Ireland are publishing the Guidelines that they will have any legal basis. For those that have any doubt, that these guidelines are meaningless and cannot be enforced have a look at this quote

“ tara Kenny, hospitality development manager of Fáilte Ireland, told RTÉ radio's News at One that it is clarifying details of the plan with the HPSC. This includes advocating for a two-hour minimum, not 90 minutes, and seeking clarity over PPE for staff.

When asked who would police the new guidelines, Ms Kerry said Fáilte Ireland was also seeking clarity on this, but she believed business owners would self-police and the public would honour the guidelines.”

Will there be Social Distancing and reduced capacity in July? Iv a feeling the regulars will go in during the day and then the Landlord will put up sign saying "sorry we are full/closed" but then will let in others thru the backdoor during the night. Aparently a good few pubs in rural areas were letting people in the past few months and only a few were caught

yeah they could do that
    that line could work if they dont like the look of ye

annoying for solo drinkers that might not have a local per say

joeguevara wrote: »
    Does anyone believe that if an entity like Failte Ireland are publishing the Guidelines that they will have any legal basis. For those that have any doubt, that these guidelines are meaningless and cannot be enforced have a look at this quote

“ tara Kenny, hospitality development manager of Fáilte Ireland, told RTÉ radio's News at One that it is clarifying details of the plan with the HPSC. This includes advocating for a two-hour minimum, not 90 minutes, and seeking clarity over PPE for staff.

When asked who would police the new guidelines, Ms Kerry said Fáilte Ireland was also seeking clarity on this, but she believed business owners would self-police and the public would honour the guidelines.”

isnt this the norm for most workplaces. Each one is responsible for enforcing the guidelines and safety rules

followed up by HSA/gardai if needed.

Didnt the HSA carry out 800 inspections so far and find all were compliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I didn’t read anywhere that said a meal was compulsory, just that the pubs had to sell such a thing to be classed as a restaurant, although I’ve only read the snippets on a couple of news sites
    Pubs will be allowed to reopen on 29 June if they serve "substantial" meals costing not less than €9, according to new guidelines being prepared by Fáilte Ireland.

Any food offering will be required to be a substantial meal (as defined by the Intoxicating Liquor Act 1962: "the meal is such as might be expected to be served as a main midday or evening meal or as a main course in either such meal").

Again supermarkets are not comparable to pubs and restaurants. The issue from a health perspective is people in a confined space for a long period of time. Same for schools, universities, offices and public transport.
    Just been to aldi - I spent maybe 15 mins there and was on the move the whole time..

I think maybe we have all forgotten what March was like when cases were more frequent in businesses.

Yea, so that's you, how about the Supermarket staff who are working 10 hour days at least 5 days a week, coming into contact with many 100's of people every week, and they aren't wearing masks or visors as customers stroll by when they stack shelves. Imagine the levels of exposure to Covid they are building up.
    As i've already stated, bar staff will either have perspex screens in front of them and when they deliver food/drink to the table it will be whilst wearing masks/visors/gloves.

In March nobody had experienced a major pandemic like this, social distancing, masks, gloves etc. wasn't on anyones mind, now it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I will be avoiding pubs for a while, whether they are the 9euro food entry fee ones or the next lot up with just drink. I'm no killjoy, but the experience doesn't sound very enticing to me at all. However, I am hopeful that the rigid rules may be relaxed in time. I have vulnerable members of my immediate family, so we are all trying to minimise the risk therefore gatherings indoors are not great just yet. I'd be happy enough in a beer garden or such, but we'll see how it all pans out.

I feel for the waiting staff. They are different to shop workers since shop workers can sit behind a screen whilst scanning your goods, (well apart from the shelf fillers I suppose) whereas wait staff will have to deal with many different people over the course of the day, with a mask I presume, and we all know the to and fro arguments about them. Seems to be not much point in masks if the customers cannot or will not wear them also. Argument for another day though.

I also wonder how contact tracing will work, it will be an important feature if there is (heaven forbid) a spike due to pubs reopening. I suppose the food pubs will have a reservation system, but what about the ordinary pub?

I'll be interested to see how the reopening goes. I hope it goes well, and things get back to some semblance of normality before too long.

isnt this the norm for most workplaces. Each one is responsible for enforcing the guidelines and safety rules

followed up by HSA/gardai if needed.

Didnt the HSA carry out 800 inspections so far and find all were compliant.

None included anywhere that were based on eating a lasagne or a shepherds pie.

Yea, so that's you, how about the Supermarket staff who are working 10 hour days at least 5 days a week, coming into contact with many 100's of people every week, and they aren't wearing masks or visors as customers stroll by when they stack shelves. Imagine the levels of exposure to Covid they are building up.
    As i've already stated, bar staff will either have perspex screens in front of them and when they deliver food/drink to the table it will be whilst wearing masks/visors/gloves.

In March nobody had experienced a major pandemic like this, social distancing, masks, gloves etc. wasn't on anyones mind, now it is.

Well I agree and most staff in my aldi wear masks. Again - from my understanding - it is about prolonged exposure not necessarily volume.

When I mention March I speak from personal experience when we had cases of Cov19 in my workplace. This was at the beginning before full lockdown. It was dealt with locally. That is what I think will happen from now on.

None included anywhere that were based on eating a lasagne or a shepherds pie.

well yeah I think everyone agrees some of the rules are shockingly stupid.

As mentioned earlier it is more than pubs act like restaurants rather than what you eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What's so depressing about all this is the lack of any even estimation of how long it might be before we can socialise without being distant. Never mind the pub, what I really miss is clubbing and dancefloors on a Saturday night, and all this talk of "the new normal" is seriously making it sound as if social distancing is some quasi-permanent thing that isn't going to go away for years. There's been absolutely no talk of what happens after the last "phase", as in how long the time might be between that and society being able to tolerate crowds of strangers again.

well yeah I think everyone agrees some of the rules are shockingly stupid.

As mentioned earlier it is more than pubs act like restaurants rather than what you eat.

That’s what I said earlier on today. Pub has to be capable of serving a meal, but no requirement to buy or eat it. And police can’t enforce guidelines. The people who think there will be a 90 minute limit unless a lasagne is eaten or the swat team will rush the place is hilarious.

• Advertisement

That’s what I said earlier on today. Pub has to be capable of serving a meal, but no requirement to buy or eat it. And police can’t enforce guidelines. The people who think there will be a 90 minute limit unless a lasagne is eaten or the swat team will rush the place is hilarious.

Sorry that made me laugh. Didnt someone post the act where the €9 rule came from - I think it can be enforced. I saw it somewhere.

Its only for 3 weeks and I honestly dont know any business who would take that risk. Why would you bother.

If you are so intent on taking the piss I wouldnt want to be in a pub/restaurant with you anyway :)

Sorry that made me laugh. Didnt someone post the act where the €9 rule came from - I think it can be enforced. I saw it somewhere.

Its only for 3 weeks and I honestly dont know any business who would take that risk. Why would you bother.

If you are so intent on taking the piss I wouldnt want to be in a pub/restaurant with you anyway :)

Sure throw up the act that unpublished guidelines from a non government agency can be enforced, and let us have a look. Remember unpublished guidelines.

I heard the Garda have 3000 sniffer dogs trained that will know if a punter has consume a carvery dinner or at least a big stew in the last 30 minutes.

Sure throw up the act that unpublished guidelines from a non government agency can be enforced, and let us have a look. Remember unpublished guidelines.

I heard the Garda have 3000 sniffer dogs trained that will know if a punter has consume a carvery dinner or at least a big stew in the last 30 minutes.

LOL if I find it I will...I saw it on twitter. Its a liquor act I think.. The guidelines are unpublished but the act already exists (where the €9 thing came from).

The whole 90 min things craic me up.

could be talking ****e though.

LOL if I find it I will...I saw it on twitter. Its a liquor act I think.. The guidelines are unpublished but the act already exists (where the €9 thing came from).

The whole 90 min things craic me up.

could be talking ****e though.

It’s the intoxicating liquor act of 1962. Food offering, not food consumption.

I have vulnerable members of my immediate family, so we are all trying to minimise the risk therefore gatherings indoors are not great just yet. I'd be happy enough in a beer garden or such, but we'll see how it all pans out.
    I feel for the waiting staff. They are different to shop workers since shop workers can sit behind a screen whilst scanning your goods, (well apart from the shelf fillers I suppose) whereas wait staff will have to deal with many different people over the course of the day, with a mask I presume, and we all know the to and fro arguments about them. Seems to be not much point in masks if the customers cannot or will not wear them also. Argument for another day though.

Well, any vulnerable family members I have can't wait to get out to a restaurant again, being cooped up for 3 months in a house means what would have been a weekly few hours out to go for a meal is now a massive occasion. They could isolate at home and await a cure, but sure you could drop dead tomorrow!

Anyways, the staff pulling pints, and making €9 meals will all be behind plastic screens, waiting staff will have bio-hazard level protection and contactless payment machines so exposure to customers germs will be at a minimum.

• Advertisement

It’s the intoxicating liquor act of 1962. Food offering, not food consumption.

thank you..for 3 weeks though just eat the food. No biggie

"Mr Cummins suggested it's going to be 'very hard to police' any rule for how long people can stay." - CEO of the RAI.

"All of this we see as a temporary little arrangement anyway, given that all pubs in Ireland open on 20th July - the food guidelines won't apply to those businesses." - CEO LVA

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/two-hour-slot-is-very-viable--pubs-and-restaurants-push-for-change-to-proposed-covid-19-guidelines-1005865.html

People are always looking for a way around everything.

What's so depressing about all this is the lack of any even estimation of how long it might be before we can socialise without being distant. Never mind the pub, what I really miss is clubbing and dancefloors on a Saturday night, and all this talk of "the new normal" is seriously making it sound as if social distancing is some quasi-permanent thing that isn't going to go away for years. There's been absolutely no talk of what happens after the last "phase", as in how long the time might be between that and society being able to tolerate crowds of strangers again.

This is what the "Boomers" on here as well as the Gen X ages don't care about or miss, so support for what was the Saturday Night social isn't of any interest to them, a quiet pint at the bar is.

People forget that for millennials, those in their 20's this pandemic had wiped out their social lives, I think Govt. had previously mentioned October for Nightclubs/dancefloors to reopen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Maybe before Christmas depending on how things go in the meantime.

This is what the "Boomers" on here as well as the Gen X ages don't care about or miss, so support for what was the Saturday Night social isn't of any interest to them, a quiet pint at the bar is.

People forget that for millennials, those in their 20's this pandemic had wiped out their social lives, I think Govt. had previously mentioned October for Nightclubs/dancefloors to reopen?

Unpublished guidelines say you cannot go on a dance floor without having a curry chips 27 minutes prior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well, any vulnerable family members I have can't wait to get out to a restaurant again, being cooped up for 3 months in a house means what would have been a weekly few hours out to go for a meal is now a massive occasion. They could isolate at home and await a cure, but sure you could drop dead tomorrow!

Anyways, the staff pulling pints, and making €9 meals will all be behind plastic screens, waiting staff will have bio-hazard level protection and contactless payment machines so exposure to customers germs will be at a minimum.

You cannot judge what kind of vulnerable I am talking about here. It is not so much them, as others possibly bringing the virus home to them having been indoors in a pub. They are two children from different siblings, one aged 15 the other 17, complex medical issues, but are doing fine apart from their vulnerability to the virus.

You cannot judge what kind of vulnerable I am talking about here. It is not so much them, as others possibly bringing the virus home to them having been indoors in a pub. They are two children from different siblings, one aged 15 the other 17, complex medical issues, but are doing fine apart from their vulnerability to the virus.

of course not, vulnerable means anyone with a range of health concerns where exposure to a Virus such as Covid can become very serious indeed. In that case close contacts have to be extremely careful.

Hey now there are plenty of us "boomers" who like to go dancing in the niteclub :D It's sad that they can't open and I really feel for the younger crowd who would be going every weekend. Heck I was looking to switch jobs to a more club scene this summer. But you can obviously see that it's not just older people getting their cause opened first, rather as hard as pubs are to open with social distancing, niteclubs would be a disaster. Little spots marked on the dance floor spaced out for dancers? Argos style ordering systems with "collection PoINTS" (patent pending)? I'm sure if someone could explain how they reopen we could at least have that conversation but until then...

Do I want to be going to a place where you're suppose too enjoy yourself to be confided to a time limit and have some narky bar person watching ya

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Do I want to be going to a place where you're suppose too enjoy yourself to be confided to a time limit and have some narky bar person watching ya

If it helps I don't want to have to be that narky bar person pushing you out so the next person can have the table. It'll be a crap buzz for both of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I guess not. Maybe everyone would get a clock when they arrive like in speed chess set to alarm in 90 minutes. Gone in 90 minutes great crack.

If it helps I don't want to have to be that narky bar person pushing you out so the next person can have the table. It'll be a crap buzz for both of us.

Very true, I wish you good luck. Whatever you get paid is not enough for all the ****e you will have too deal with over the next few weeks

What's your opinion on locals who have there seat and will almost force someone off it

think failte ireland published new guidelines

https://covid19.failteireland.ie/business-supports/business-reopening/pubs/guidelines-for-re-opening/

105 mins now

Physical distancing of 2 metres* should be maintained between
    tables. However, if this is not possible, this can be reduced to 1
    metre* in controlled environments if the other risk mitigation
    requirements outlined in Appendix 1 have been met.
    ■ Pre-booked time limited slots should be in place for customers,
    which are a maximum of 105 minutes duration plus there
    should be a minimum of 15 minutes between bookings in order
    to allow for adequate cleaning and to allow customers to leave
    and enter, without mixing.
    ■ Physical distancing of 2 metres* does not apply within members
    of the same household. Physical distancing is required between
    tables/seats of non-household individuals.
    ■ Reduce the seating capacities to meet the current physical
    distancing guidance outlined by HPSC between each seated
    group of customers. Greeting and seating customers must be
    managed in a way that disperses them correctly throughout the
    premises.
    ■ A designated employee should be stationed at Front of House to
    control physical distancing measures.
    ■ Its the responsibility of supervisors and managers to ensure
    that customers do not congregate in groups. Customers should
    be seated at a table except when using the toilet, paying, and
    departing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Very true, I wish you good luck. Whatever you get paid is not enough for all the ****e you will have too deal with over the next few weeks

What's your opinion on locals who have there seat and will almost force someone off it

Well it is their seat.

In normal times, I have a soft spot for creatures of habit. Now I shouldn't be ageist but a 60+ year old who has his spot will be more likable that a 20 year old. But at the end of the day it is still not "your spot" if an argument comes out of it and I have had to tell people.
    Obviously with the new system I'll happily reserve a table if it is free and if I know a regular likes to sit at a table and I can move a different reservation to a different one than we had planned to put there I will but most of these people their spot is along the bar and they're SOL for now. But yeah in general it always makes me smile when customers are predictable in their ways. I think that is just human nature.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

In normal times, I have a soft spot for creatures of habit. Now I shouldn't be ageist but a 60+ year old who has his spot will be more likable that a 20 year old. But at the end of the day it is still not "your spot" if an argument comes out of it and I have had to tell people.
    Obviously with the new system I'll happily reserve a table if it is free and if I know a regular likes to sit at a table and I can move a different reservation to a different one than we had planned to put there I will but most of these people their spot is along the bar and they're SOL for now. But yeah in general it always makes me smile when customers are predictable in their ways. I think that is just human nature.

What does SOL stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

What does SOL stand for?

schitt out of luck?

guidelines just been published

• Advertisement

think failte ireland published new guidelines

https://covid19.failteireland.ie/business-supports/business-reopening/pubs/guidelines-for-re-opening/

105 mins now

Physical distancing of 2 metres* should be maintained between
    tables. However, if this is not possible, this can be reduced to 1
    metre* in controlled environments if the other risk mitigation
    requirements outlined in Appendix 1 have been met.
    ■ Pre-booked time limited slots should be in place for customers,
    which are a maximum of 105 minutes duration plus there
    should be a minimum of 15 minutes between bookings in order
    to allow for adequate cleaning and to allow customers to leave
    and enter, without mixing.
    ■ Physical distancing of 2 metres* does not apply within members
    of the same household. Physical distancing is required between
    tables/seats of non-household individuals.
    ■ Reduce the seating capacities to meet the current physical
    distancing guidance outlined by HPSC between each seated
    group of customers. Greeting and seating customers must be
    managed in a way that disperses them correctly throughout the
    premises.
    ■ A designated employee should be stationed at Front of House to
    control physical distancing measures.
    ■ Its the responsibility of supervisors and managers to ensure
    that customers do not congregate in groups. Customers should
    be seated at a table except when using the toilet, paying, and
    departing.

Some common sense things in it, just had a quick read, others a bit more non sensical. Such as distance between non household members, a group heading out for a few pints wont be 2m away from each other, very much as was said when the hotels and restaurants guidelines were issued pubs like restaurants and hotels aren't going to be asking customers if they're from the same families.

The 105 minutes is still utter crap, its fine for operating as a restaurant, come 20th July its just going to encourage organised pub crawls.

Overall seems very much geared towards those with food and little mention of those from 20th July.

Advertisement