Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you miss the pub?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

yeah 105 is weird - good to see contact tracing in place

Businesses do not have to keep records of every person in a
    party, they will be required to have the name and contact details
    of one person in each party e.g. the person who books the table.
    That person should be advised to keep a record of who is in their
    party in case it is required for contact tracing in the future.
    Details must be securely retained for one month.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

yeah 105 is weird - good to see contact tracing in place

Businesses do not have to keep records of every person in a
    party, they will be required to have the name and contact details
    of one person in each party e.g. the person who books the table.
    That person should be advised to keep a record of who is in their
    party in case it is required for contact tracing in the future.
    Details must be securely retained for one month.

Yeah all well and good but the keep distancing between non household members at a table is unworkable.

And like we've both said even 105 is weird. If I go into my local on 20th July or after at say 8pm theres not a chance I'll be told after 105 minutes to leave.

Yeah all well and good but the keep distancing between non household members at a table is unworkable.

And like we've both said even 105 is weird. If I go into my local on 20th July or after at say 8pm theres not a chance I'll be told after 105 minutes to leave.

needs a proper read I think. At least it is something. Talk about doing something arseways though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭joeguevara

guidelines just been published

Just read them. As predicted it’s says that Pubs should be required to serve a substantial meal but no requirement for a customer to purchase one or eat one. And again, how can it be policed, are police going to take swabs of a persons mouth to determine whether there is traces of mash and gravy.

It’s farcical and like something out of a Monty Python sketch.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Just read them. As predicted it’s says that Pubs should be required to serve a substantial meal but no requirement for a customer to purchase one or eat one. And again, how can it be policed, are police going to take swabs of a persons mouth to determine whether there is traces of mash and gravy.

It’s farcical and like something out of a Monty Python sketch.

maybe they will...along with stop watch checking 105 mins

where the hell did 105 come from

• Advertisement

Presumably it is connected to football matches that are 90 minutes + 10 for half time with 5 for injury time. Only thing I can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

think failte ireland published new guidelines

Physical distancing of 2 metres* should be maintained between
    tables. However, if this is not possible, this can be reduced to 1
    metre* in controlled environments if the other risk mitigation
    requirements outlined in Appendix 1 have been met.
    ■ Pre-booked time limited slots should be in place for customers,
    which are a maximum of 105 minutes duration plus there
    should be a minimum of 15 minutes between bookings in order
    to allow for adequate cleaning and to allow customers to leave
    and enter, without mixing.
    ■ Physical distancing of 2 metres* does not apply within members
    of the same household. Physical distancing is required between
    tables/seats of non-household individuals.
    ■ Reduce the seating capacities to meet the current physical
    distancing guidance outlined by HPSC between each seated
    group of customers. Greeting and seating customers must be
    managed in a way that disperses them correctly throughout the
    premises.
    ■ A designated employee should be stationed at Front of House to
    control physical distancing measures.
    ■ Its the responsibility of supervisors and managers to ensure
    that customers do not congregate in groups. Customers should
    be seated at a table except when using the toilet, paying, and
    departing.

Guidlines, as opposed to regulations.

Should be, instead of must be.

Is any of this legally binding or just a suggestion of what they regard as best practice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

To answer the question again. Not that badly. I've not drank very much(don't drink much anyway) since the pubs closed but I've still kept the lotto syndicate going between the few of us that do it so I'm grand thanks.

It's not that the measures announced are bad across the board, it's just that we've all been in pubs and how many times have things been brought in in your local that last a week and it's over before it's even started ? It's the ability of publicans to enforce them and customers to stick to them that is the issue. Also, the 105 minutes is a weird number.

Guidlines, as opposed to regulations.

Should be, instead of must be.

Is any of this legally binding or just a suggestion of what they regard as best practice?

They are a bit confusing. It does say that they can be closed for not following them as they are underpinned by Health and Safety Legislation but saying that and being true are worlds apart. These are nothing more than helpful suggestions and Gardai would have no power to follow them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Of all of the guidelines the different households one surely has to be one of the most ridiculous or most unrealistic to enforce. If 6 people from different households book a table together and have to be seated 2m apart from one another and everyone else in the pub that is going to take up a lot of space. I completely understand 2m between different tables but it will not work if you and your friends have to all sit 2m apart despite booking a table together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

the media are still going to love these rules

All local papers will be full of snaps of people sitting there enjoying there carvery and pints

Then we will have soicial media full of videos of people in jammed pubs singing arm and arm etc

Apparently these are mainly for places opening on the 29th. Nobody has any idea if the 105 is in place when "wet" pubs open on 20th July.

Also got a text from 1 publican saying they won't be checking who's from what house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Making it up as they go along!

So do pubs have to hire a timekeeper?

So I can book 105 mins in pub A and then leave and go to Pub B for another 105 mins?

Good question: What's the Science behind having a €9 meal to protect against the virus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Adding "wet pubs" along with "new normal" as pandemic phrases I despise.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Making it up as they go along!

So do pubs have to hire a timekeeper?

So I can book 105 mins in pub A and then leave and go to Pub B for another 105 mins?

Well for the first 3 weeks if you want to do that you'll have to buy a meal in each one you go into.

It's going to happen though if the 105 is in place come 20th July, organised pub crawls everywhere

Apparently these are mainly for places opening on the 29th. Nobody has any idea if the 105 is in place when "wet" pubs open on 20th July.

Also got a text from 1 publican saying they won't be checking who's from what house.

Oh so this isn't for the majority of pubs then ? Sorry I assumed it was for every pub. so is the date for all pubs still July 20th then ? Sure who knows where we will be in July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well for the first 3 weeks if you want to do that you'll have to buy a meal in each one you go into.

I can see it now, Tayto Sandwiches, €9! :D

Menu

Breakfast: Bowl of Tayto €9.00
    Full Irish Tayto €9.00
    Tayto on Toast €9.00
    Scrambled Tayto €9.00

Lunch 12-3: Fillet of Tayto €9.00
    Tayto Supreme €9.00
    Tay to-Monsieur €9.00

Dinner 4-8: Tayto Surprise €9.00
    Leg of Tayto €9.00
    Tayto of the Day €9.00
    Chef's Special Tayto €9.00

Kids aren't welcome Menu

Tayto meal deal €9.00
    (warning includes Tayto)

Please contact us (01) 272 0060
    To Confirm Table.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Oh so this isn't for the majority of pubs then ? Sorry I assumed it was for every pub. so is the date for all pubs still July 20th then ? Sure who knows where we will be in July.

Yup appearently for the 3 weeks, its an absolute mess really. Supposed to be 20th July still.

https://twitter.com/VFIpubs/status/1273365703333117952?s=19

Only in Ireland

Farcical

• Advertisement

105 is still 90 mins with 15 mins clean up

bonkers.

no only for 3 weeks. until all pubs reopen.

I feel sorry for pub staff.

bonkers.

No it’s 105 minutes +15 minutes clean up to bring it to 2 hour slots.

Yup appearently for the 3 weeks, its an absolute mess really. Supposed to be 20th July still.

https://twitter.com/VFIpubs/status/1273365703333117952?s=19

Well by July 20th we will have a fairly good idea for the other pubs how feasible this system is.

Of all of the guidelines the different households one surely has to be one of the most ridiculous or most unrealistic to enforce. If 6 people from different households book a table together and have to be seated 2m apart from one another and everyone else in the pub that is going to take up a lot of space. I completely understand 2m between different tables but it will not work if you and your friends have to all sit 2m apart despite booking a table together.

jesus christ that sounds like an equation not a pub

joeguevara wrote: »
    No it’s 105 minutes +15 minutes clean up to bring it to 2 hour slots.

ah jesus who knew maths and pubs would mix

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

This is going to be a complete disaster. Contemplating staying off until july 20th now

The people I feel sorry for is the old lads who are living alone(I know of a few in my area) who just go out for a few pints and a couple of half ones to just break the monotony of the week on a Saturday night. They won't be buying food or booking a time slot. I realise they have to put in place a system but it's a system that isn't designed for them.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The people I feel sorry for is the old lads who are living alone(I know of a few in my area) who just go out for a few pints and a couple of half ones to just break the monotony of the week on a Saturday night. They won't be buying food or booking a time slot. I realise they have to put in place a system but it's a system that isn't designed for them.

I know its sad. remember these are only guidelines...a lot can happen in a week and a lot more in 3 weeks.

the whole idea of 105 minutes makes me tense.

None of this whole thing will last forever hopefully

This is going to be a complete disaster. Contemplating staying off until july 20th now

Probably best off, its an absolute mess.

Will everywhere be keeping to these guidelines, not a hope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

"A designated employee should be stationed at Front of House to
    control physical distancing measures."

So who on staff wants to be as loved as the local traffic warden?

bonkers.

even though its for 3 weeks while they operate as restaurants, I'd love to know how they think any of the stuff such as time limit etc is viable for after 20th July when the rest of the pubs open

I've read the whole thing. Does it mean all bookings no walk ins?

I've read the whole thing. Does it mean all bookings no walk ins?

Implies walk ins will be accepted.

Either that or stand outside the door ring up, I'd like a table for now please.

https://twitter.com/TheBridge1859/status/1273359990414364673?s=19

Implies walk ins will be accepted.

Either that or stand outside the door ring up, I'd like a table for now please.

https://twitter.com/TheBridge1859/status/1273359990414364673?s=19

Not to bad so

even though its for 3 weeks while they operate as restaurants, I'd love to know how they think any of the stuff such as time limit etc is viable for after 20th July when the rest of the pubs open

maybe they want to wait and see how it pans out - who knows. It could change again.

Honestly it puts me off - I couldnt feel comfortable in a pub knowing I had exactly 105 mins to chill and relax. Social distancing grand but time limits you can feck off.

• Advertisement

Was said earlier here

A problem with walk ins could be that its locals only or private party (which is used locally if a certain demographic of people were around the area)

If they don't like the look of ya than 'not tonight bud we're full

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭alentejo

The whole Pub thing with 105 minutes, booking a table and giving your number etc - I am out!..........Will the same restrictions apply to cafes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

2 hours minus 15 minutes (15 mins to sanitise and allow people to leave without meeting the next group in).

alentejo wrote: »
    The whole Pub thing with 105 minutes, booking a table and giving your number etc - I am out!..........Will the same restrictions apply to cafes?

good point - for contact tracing probably.

depressed now

2 hours minus 15 minutes (15 mins to sanitise and allow people to leave without meeting the next group in).

yeah sorry maths was never my strongest point. If I knew when I was younger I would need a fecking measuring tape, calculator and stop watch on me at all times I would have paid attention

still a ridiculous number though.

• Advertisement

maybe they want to wait and see how it pans out - who knows. It could change again.

Honestly it puts me off - I couldnt feel comfortable in a pub knowing I had exactly 105 mins to chill and relax. Social distancing grand but time limits you can feck off.

Yeah keep the tables the 1m apart, I'll use the table service and only get up to go to the toilet, I'll be in my own group chatting to my own friends but 105 minutes can do one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

what happens if you walk up to a pub this day 2 weeks and there only say 5 people inside , will you still need to book or time limit or anything? i suppose if you wander up to a pub thats quite then you can stay all night.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    what happens if you walk up to a pub this day 2 weeks and there only say 5 people inside , will you still need to book or time limit or anything? i suppose if you wander up to a pub thats quite then you can stay all night.

do you mean 5 seperate people at seperate tables or one group

see maths

that's actually racism the ****e you are coming out with all week

How so ?

When there's traveller funerals/weddings/Christainigs around the area I live I've seen pubs close there doors/shutters down etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

So many things to consider, I suppose it is just for pubs who serve food, so I guess the idea is that you can do a pub for food and have a drink or two with your dinner, but going to a pub for the night drinking is not going to happen for at least another 3 weeks. Myself and 5 others are doing a few places out West for ten days before the 20th July. I am sure we will end up going out for dinner some of the nights we're there, no problem booking tables in advance. If we are in a quiet bar on a Tuesday night having dinner and drinks I can't imagine them kicking us out after 105 minutes with probably nobody to fill our table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Does the 105 mins start once you walk in the door or start after you order food or start once your food has arrived on your table? Is it after the last person in your group has entered?

Imagine if you walk into a busy bar/resteraunt in a group of 8, each person orders 2 courses. You could be in a situation where it takes 55 minutes + for your main course to even start to come out, and a few mins more for the rest of your groups food. You don't really get much time to relax after eating then, do you?

So many things to consider, I suppose it is just for pubs who serve food, so I guess the idea is that you can do a pub for food and have a drink or two with your dinner, but going to a pub for the night drinking is not going to happen for at least another 3 weeks. Myself and 5 others are doing a few places out West for ten days before the 20th July. I am sure we will end up going out for dinner some of the nights we're there, no problem booking tables in advance. If we are in a quiet bar on a Tuesday night having dinner and drinks I can't imagine them kicking us out after 105 minutes with probably nobody to fill our table.

eh maybe double check that. A lot of people like myself are still waiting to travel home come 29th June if travel restrictions are lifted. Locals returning to their locality.

I would fully expect pubs and restaurants full if normal pubs havent reopened by 20th July.

Only speak for own experience here of course. I might avoid the pub myself but restuarants yes

thats what im saying, surely there will be a lot of quiet pubs mid week, im thinking they will have tables with nobody at them most of the evening , surely if no one comes looking and nobody there rreally they will let you stay on all evening. i dont think it will be as hard as people imagine to get tables in pubs espically in rural ireland.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    thats what im saying, surely there will be a lot of quiet pubs mid week, im thinking they will have tables with nobody at them most of the evening , surely if no one comes looking and nobody there rreally they will let you stay on all evening. i dont think it will be as hard as people imagine to get tables in pubs espically in rural ireland.

maybe after the initial opening - I already posted I havent seen my family or a lot of friends since March.

I expect there will be a lot of dinners out for a lot of people to celebrate reunions

we dont have a local restaurant really and our own pub is closed so only option would be pub that services food if we wanted to go out

Just an example of course

maybe after the initial opening - I already posted I havent seen my family or a lot of friends since March.

I expect there will be a lot of dinners out for a lot of people to celebrate reunions

Just an example of course

sorry to disagree but in rural irish towns i would think there will be plenty of quiet pubs. i suppose theres very little stopping a pub thats usually busy on sat/sun nights say 20 people and maybe only 6-10 midweek , putting up menus on thier tables and food prices and operating the pub as usual. keeping food simple, sausage/chips/curry/burgers etc. of course knowing full well no regualars will ever ask for the food. it will be there to be cooked of asked. i would imagine there wouldnt be a que to get into these pubs either so they can fire away come june 29th? some pubs im thinking of have huge premises sometimes a lounge thats never used even.

• Advertisement
Advertisement