Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you miss the pub?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

So who's havin a wander round town on Monday week? I'm a little put off like most of us but i'll have a gander all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

PTH2009 wrote: »
    July 20th will be d-day and pubs will be manic, People might book the day off work and go on the lash all day etc

With Dr Tony saying pubs will be high risk zones than he might find a way of forcing them to change (and Leo and Harris will fall for it)

Not going to lie I've booked the week off, using it as a week to relax slightly once restrictions are lifted, hope to have some sort of family gathering early in the week then going to head down the country towards the end of that week, one of the group has access to a holiday home and we're going to enjoy a few pints while we're away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

Not going to lie I've booked the week off, using it as a week to relax slightly once restrictions are lifted, hope to have some sort of family gathering early in the week then going to head down the country towards the end of that week, one of the group has access to a holiday home and we're going to enjoy a few pints while we're away

seems like a lot of people have booked that week or following week off

jealous or what

All you need is sunshine

seems like a lot of people have booked that week or following week off

jealous or what

All you need is sunshine

Thats it, if we get decent weather where we're going then it'll be great and a nice break. I'm off until the Tuesday 28th.

Partly work are looking for annual leave to start to be taken so there isn't a build up later in the year too.

Thats it, if we get decent weather where we're going then it'll be great and a nice break. I'm off until the Tuesday 28th.

Partly work are looking for annual leave to start to be taken so there isn't a build up later in the year too.

nice!!!...sunshine that a nice beer garden or somewhere near the sea.

Hopefully it will be logical rules for pubs and restaurants by then - just get rid of the timelimit ****e

nice!!!...sunshine that a nice beer garden or somewhere near the sea.

Hopefully it will be logical rules for pubs and restaurants by then - just get rid of the timelimit ****e

Yeah that's the idea get a nice beer garden and a sunny day fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Sunshine would be a blessing that week, keep people from being crammed indoors during the week 1 rush

AdamD wrote: »
    Sunshine would be a blessing that week, keep people from being crammed indoors during the week 1 rush

ah exactly. Means more space for everyone. Hopefully the weather will come back. It would be great to see cafes, bars and restaurants offer more outdoor seating but we dont have the weather for it

doesnt even look like June out today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I think a big issue recently is that people don’t know what is Law and what is guidance. Take 2 week quarantine after coming from a foreign country. There is no legal basis to police that but everyone thinks that it is mandatory.

Face masks are another painful example. No one knows what is true or not. There should be clear information and if mandated make it law.

This pub thing is another one. If it’s law, why is a tourist agency publishing it rather than a government agency. Why aren’t we getting clear information on what is happening from police, or politicians or doctors. It is being drip fed and actually analysed by journalists and non experts.

Why are things called Guidelines if they are mandatory. If not safe to open pubs why are we.

I miss my local and friends like crazy but i couldn’t be arsed with all the bs.

I honestly think it’s being written to be so unworkable that in the next few days it will be tossed aside and just be self policed.

joeguevara wrote: »
    I think a big issue recently is that people don’t know what is Law and what is guidance. Take 2 week quarantine after coming from a foreign country. There is no legal basis to police that but everyone thinks that it is mandatory.

Face masks are another painful example. No one knows what is true or not. There should be clear information and if mandated make it law.

This pub thing is another one. If it’s law, why is a tourist agency publishing it rather than a government agency. Why aren’t we getting clear information on what is happening from police, or politicians or doctors. It is being drip fed and actually analysed by journalists and non experts.

Why are things called Guidelines if they are mandatory. If not safe to open pubs why are we.

I miss my local and friends like crazy but i couldn’t be arsed with all the bs.

I honestly think it’s being written to be so unworkable that in the next few days it will be tossed aside and just be self policed.

well said. why are failte ireland involved. They have made a balls up of it anyway.

Didnt realise betting shops opened earlier this week and then were told to close. Confusing or what

Personally I think its lobbying that got pubs open on the 29th - not health advice. Why having a meal and staying for 105 mins makes it safer I dont know. My workplace is still closed and wont open until September at least - its an office!!!.

Only realised earlier the guidelines for restaurants havent been released yet. I thought it was somewhat sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

well said. why are failte ireland involved. They have made a balls up of it anyway.

Didnt realise betting shops opened earlier this week and then were told to close. Confusing or what

Personally I think its lobbying that got pubs open on the 29th - not health advice. Why having a meal and staying for 105 mins makes it safer I dont know. My workplace is still closed and wont open until September at least - its an office!!!.

Only realised earlier the guidelines for restaurants havent been released yet. I thought it was somewhat sorted.

It was lobbying, we know that. The vintners felt it was unfair that restaurants could open and lobbied for (and this is the crucial part) pubs that could operate as restaurants be allowed open at the same time.

Even the vintners didn’t make much of an argument for pubs to open as pubs on June 29th, which will tell you how much of a non runner it is.

Tony Holohan was crystal clear on this earlier. What’s opening on June 29th are ‘establishments serving food’, not pubs as we know them. The meal makes it safer because it makes places restaurants and not pubs. It’s purely to stop pubs opening as normal, which is and will be risky when it happens.

well it will be interesting to see what the guidelines are for restaurants and cafes...think they are due tomorrow.

weird state of affairs come June 29th - still cant go back to the office but can have a meal and a pint.

Hopefully we can all have haircuts by then too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hopefully we can all have haircuts by then too

Gone too curious now to see where my hair and beard takes me ha and might wait a bit longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

joeguevara wrote: »
    I think a big issue recently is that people don’t know what is Law and what is guidance.

I get your point but why does everything have to be law? People moan about a "nanny state" and yet when they set out guidelines all I keep seeing is people saying "they can't enforce it so who cares", well you should. We should be grown ups about it and not have to force the state to actually outlaw things, especially in areas like public health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I don't know if this has been reported in this thread before. But a healthcare worker & 15 of her friends had contracted Covid-19 about 2 weeks ago after they had a meet-up together at an Irish pub in Florida. They were having their get together at Lynch's Irish Pub in Jacksonville. They entered the premises on the 6th of June after the state government there had eased some of the restrictions because of good progress in combating against Covid-19.

https://people.com/health/health-care-worker-15-friends-get-coronavirus-florida-bar/

For one thing the woman who is talking to reporters in the video said herself & her friends did not wear face masks & did not do any social distancing before entering or while inside the pub. She said that she had learned her lesson in wearing face masks in future to prevent a further spread of the virus. Another thing from the article is that 7 staff members had also tested positive after contracting Covid-19 while they are working there. Since then; the pub closed down temporarily & brought in new health measures like hand sanitizer facilities & prompts to carry out temperature checks for all of it's patrons & staff members upon entry to the pub.

The pubs that serve food to customers for Phase 3 here need to prioritise the official advice to all of their customers that they must wear face masks to protect themselves upon entry to the premises. It is an absolutely critical thing to get right if any customers don't want to get the virus at all. If staff had the authority to make rule of wearing face masks mandatory for everyone. It will give more customers additional opportunities to book a seat in their restaurant while giving the pubs serving food more business more frequently when they are complying with all of the relevant health advice on Covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I get your point but why does everything have to be law? People moan about a "nanny state" and yet when they set out guidelines all I keep seeing is people saying "they can't enforce it so who cares", well you should. We should be grown ups about it and not have to force the state to actually outlaw things, especially in areas like public health.

Well if people are being told that police can close them down and issues about renewing license then it has to be law. Guidelines from a tourist board are crazy. Either it comes from a government body or not at all. Same as the quarantine. Police have no power to check. Same as masks. Either it’s mandatory or not. Information is important or else it becomes a free for all which raises tension.

I don’t think pubs should open personally. But I also don’t think shops where large queues like Penney’s ikea or woodies either. Dun Laoghaire where I live is becoming a free for all with queues everywhere and people on top of each other. It’s nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I see most of the Pubs in Temple Bar have come out and said they will not reopen at the end of the month.

They're citing a lack of clarity with the guidelines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

ShyMets wrote: »
    I see most of the Pubs in Temple Bar have come out and said they will not reopen at the end of the month.

The guidelines are pretty clear really, the spirit of them is that people need to be kept apart and limited in the time they spend in the pub.

What is unclear is just how much avoidance of them they will get away with and whether it is the right thing to do or not.

But I welcome any business, or person, that decides that caution is the best option and will wait. It is the right thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I’m gonna book the week off too. It’s my birthday on 21st! Day session!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Leroy42 wrote: »
    The guidelines are pretty clear really, the spirit of them is that people need to be kept apart and limited in the time they spend in the pub.

What is unclear is just how much avoidance of them they will get away with and whether it is the right thing to do or not.

But I welcome any business, or person, that decides that caution is the best option and will wait. It is the right thing to do.

I agree. I suspect they are unhappy with the guidelines and feel its best to wait until 20th July to reopen.

My understanding is that updated guidelines will be issued before that date

Most places that do food will reopen but for the main pubs in temple bar alot of them are quite small.

They're looking for clarity around the 105 minutes hence they're aiming to reopen on 20th July which seems quite reasonable to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

The level of suppression right now is such that they could open them all on June 29th. Realistically, it can't be significantly lower at this stage unless we manage to eradicate it completely and without keeping the border closed long term then the risk of return will always be there...and we don't close the border because essential workers can move freely.

Reading some of the commentary, there seems to be a perception that once pubs open its a free for all. And maybe that's what NPHET are worried about. If that happens then it would be a highly risky environment but I don't think them being delayed for another 3 weeks would make any odds there. It's about opening them safely and preventing that situation arising.

So I think it would be more sensible to open them with guidance on making them sanitary, social distancing of 1 metre, make them all table service or bar service if they can install a screen, time limits where demand requires it and probably look at capacity per square footage or something like that just to be sure a cap is kept on numbers. Capacity should be signed as it is in shops.

If they took the names of all patrons digitally (can't be hard to do) as a condition of entry, with GDPR compliant software (this definitely exists already, whatever about contact tracing apps) they would have the necessary information to track people in the case of a potential outbreak.

So we can delay this until July 20th but:

-It might encourage more publicans to bend rules to make up lost revenue
    -Patrons to think it's now a free for all, that's why we had the extra wait
    -Is having a further economic impact for these three weeks, which should not be read as it's only 3 weeks, it's 3 and a half months + 3 weeks

That's my opinion anyway and I do think most adults can abide by house rules, those that don't can be dealt with. That is the nature of the particular business at any rate I'd have thought

Leroy42 wrote: »

The guidelines are for pubs operating as restaurants that much is clear. What's not clear is for pubs opening 20th July. That seems to be the issue. The time limit of 105 is described as workable while they operate as restaurants but unworkable when pubs reopen as pubs.

I agree. I suspect they are unhappy with the guidelines and feel its best to wait until 20th July to reopen.

My understanding is that updated guidelines will be issued before that date

yes these ones only relate to those operating as restaurants hence the 105 time limit, across the industry there broad acceptance that it works for the 3 weeks but after 20th July its very difficult to implement should it be asked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The guidelines are for pubs operating as restaurants that much is clear. What's not clear is for pubs opening 20th July. That seems to be the issue. The time limit of 105 is described as workable while they operate as restaurants but unworkable when pubs reopen as pubs.

TBF, pubs are not the only industry looking for guidance and this is an incredibly difficult, and serious, situation so I would cut the authorities some slack. They are trying their best but at the core they are trying to save lives.

The problem is that if one opens too soon, the spike returns and then you are in deep crap before you even realise it. I am sure that at the back of every decision is the worry that it might be to early, so I can fully understand the caution.

Particularly when it is not essential. People have access to alcohol, people can have house parties. So whilst it is a PITA to not have the pubs, given the potential risks involved and the very high likelihood that once opened the regulations will probably be pretty lax, then it would seem to me the right approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I don't know if this has been reported in this thread before. But a healthcare worker & 15 of her friends had contracted Covid-19 about 2 weeks ago after they had a meet-up together at an Irish pub in Florida. They were having their get together at Lynch's Irish Pub in Jacksonville. They entered the premises on the 6th of June after the state government there had eased some of the restrictions because of good progress in combating against Covid-19.
    Right there. There's the problem.

The level of suppression right now is such that they could open them all on June 29th. Realistically, it can't be significantly lower at this stage unless we manage to eradicate it completely and without keeping the border closed long term then the risk of return will always be there...and we don't close the border because essential workers can move freely.

Reading some of the commentary, there seems to be a perception that once pubs open its a free for all. And maybe that's what NPHET are worried about. If that happens then it would be a highly risky environment but I don't think them being delayed for another 3 weeks would make any odds there. It's about opening them safely and preventing that situation arising.

So I think it would be more sensible to open them with guidance on making them sanitary, social distancing of 1 metre, make them all table service or bar service if they can install a screen, time limits where demand requires it and probably look at capacity per square footage or something like that just to be sure a cap is kept on numbers. Capacity should be signed as it is in shops.

If they took the names of all patrons digitally (can't be hard to do) as a condition of entry, with GDPR compliant software (this definitely exists already, whatever about contact tracing apps) they would have the necessary information to track people in the case of a potential outbreak.

So we can delay this until July 20th but:

-It might encourage more publicans to bend rules to make up lost revenue
    -Patrons to think it's now a free for all, that's why we had the extra wait
    -Is having a further economic impact for these three weeks, which should not be read as it's only 3 weeks, it's 3 and a half months + 3 weeks

That's my opinion anyway and I do think most adults can abide by house rules, those that don't can be dealt with. That is the nature of the particular business at any rate I'd have thought

All above points very good but I would disagree as I think we can do better with suppression and contact tracing.

I mentioned it a few times but my workplace isnt back open for staff to return yet as it isnt safe. Pubs etc are opening up now because of lobbying - not necessarily safety.

I definitely think most adults can behave respectfully and normally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yeah i would be in the camp of opening all pubs on 29 june, it will avoid the free for all mentality, no sense in this food thing at all

Dickie10 wrote: »
    yeah i would be in the camp of opening all pubs on 29 june, it will avoid the free for all mentality, no sense in this food thing at all

I dont know..the more you think about it the kind of sense it makes. Slow and controlled is better than all out hell for leather.

Let places that can reopen open and see how it works.

Pubs are one of the highest risk environments and I honestly dont want ireland taking a step backwards.

Look at NZ. 2 people entered the country and 320 ended up having to be contacted. Thats 320 people in quarantine.

they don't have a lot to lose really considering the vast majority of their customers are foreign tourists (and the corresponding Irish hoping to ride an American or a German or whatever) or which there are pretty much 0

• Advertisement

I'll have the €9 salad and as much pints as possible in 105 minutes please.

Joking aside I know of 1 pub that's opening on the 29th that's doing a pizza and pint deal €13, 9 quid for the pizza €4 for the pint. Buy that once and then you can just order pints for the rest of the time your in there.

Its also literally the only thing on the menu

https://twitter.com/Kala_Management/status/1273924373288833027?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'll have the €9 salad and as much pints as possible in 105 minutes please.

Joking aside I know of 1 pub that's opening on the 29th that's doing a pizza and pint deal €13, 9 quid for the pizza €4 for the pint. Buy that once and then you can just order pints for the rest of the time your in there.

Its also literally the only thing on the menu

https://twitter.com/Kala_Management/status/1273924373288833027?s=19

Pretty exotic? I suppose you could give the pizza to someone else or bring home if its not your thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Love sitting at the bar on my own, especially on a Monday night(no work on a Tuesday) but if I need to sit at table for a while I’ll do it. I miss it just for the walk to and from the pub and getting to have a think and google stuff I’ll never do ;)

Monday night in the local is grand. Never any messers, quiet, convivial, relaxed, you can get a seat, bar staff are always in a jovial mood, easy to grab a seat, near the bar and tv, aghhhhh.

the end is near :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

glasso wrote: »
    they don't have a lot to lose really considering the vast majority of their customers are foreign tourists (and the corresponding Irish hoping to ride an American or a German or whatever) or which there are pretty much 0

They can F off. Was charged 15 Euro for two pints in the temple bar a few months ago. Had no choice to be there... knew it was coming!

never_mind wrote: »
    They can F off. Was charged 15 Euro for two pints in the temple bar a few months ago. Had no choice to be there... knew it was coming!

Jesus i couldn't enjoy the pint after paying that

Always stay clear of Temple Bar when im in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Jesus i couldn't enjoy the pint after paying that

Always stay clear of Temple Bar when im in Dublin

He had 'no choice'

He had 'no choice'

Tourist was in my company. Ya have to do these things sometimes.

He had 'no choice'

Don't they change the price upwards as the night goes on there too!

• Advertisement

I don't have much/ any sympathy for the LVA - crowd of counts who only care about their owners' banks accounts and who shot down that perfectly good idea about cafe style alcohol licences 15 years ago or so which would have offered a perfectly good alternative to pubs.

the way they bullsh1t on about the Irish pubs you'd swear that they were mythical locations which are the only places where you can have fun in Ireland.

glasso wrote: »
    I don't have much/ any sympathy for the LVA - crowd of counts who only care about their owners' banks accounts and who shot down that perfectly good idea about cafe style alcohol licences 15 years ago or so which would have offered a perfectly good alternative to pubs.

the way they bullsh1t on about the Irish pubs you'd swear that they were mythical locations which are the only places where you can have fun in Ireland.

I never thought of pubs as 'fun' as such. A good pub was a place where you met up with people, found out what was happening, made deals, solved problems of all kinds and met people you wouldn't have otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

It's your duty as a native to steer them away from rip offs like that; if more did, the prices would normalize.

is there a change in restrictions? are all pubs open monday week now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭JoeLapira

is there a change in restrictions? are all pubs open monday week now?

Myself and my girlfriend are convinced we heard this on the radio today but can't seem to find anything else on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

D ya remember the vintners and bar owners losing the plot fighting to get the pubs to open on Good Friday(disgraceful greedy people).. Laughing at the great Irish Catholic People trying to defend our religion.
    I hope now we go back to pubs closed for Good Friday Amen.

9 days doesn't give places much of chance to get there houses in order if they want to open on the 29th

the government will be happy enough if places only drip feed open i supppose , at least bit of common sense prevailed, only 120 people in hospital with this virus and the country still half locked up , madness. by the time the 29th rolls around you will be looking at numbers under 10 per day cases. anyway great to have normality back. id say most pubs are near enough ready to come back .

the government will be happy enough if places only drip feed open i supppose , at least bit of common sense prevailed, only 120 people in hospital with this virus and the country still half locked up , madness. by the time the 29th rolls around you will be looking at numbers under 10 per day cases. anyway great to have normality back. id say most pubs are near enough ready to come back .

The numbers are low because they’re closed. You think cases under 10 a day will last once they open?

• Advertisement

it will take at least 2 weeks after opening before numbers rise, actually prob wont rise that much. and anyway once they dont ooverwhelm the health system that all that matters that why we are in lockdown. we will live with this, and get on with normal life. those at risk will have to take precautions and restrict thier movements anyone else get on with living

Advertisement