Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you miss the pub?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Dickie10 wrote: »
    is there a change in restrictions? are all pubs open monday week now?

No. Pubs are still Phase 4, unless they open as a restaurant.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    it will take at least 2 weeks after opening before numbers rise, actually prob wont rise that much. and anyway once they dont ooverwhelm the health system that all that matters that why we are in lockdown. we will live with this, and get on with normal life. those at risk will have to take precautions and restrict thier movements anyone else get on with living

That’s a very common attitude, and the main reason I’ll never do a thing for anyone again. True colours have been shown all across the country one everyone became a little inconvenienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

That’s a very common attitude, and the main reason I’ll never do a thing for anyone again. True colours have been shown all across the country one everyone became a little inconvenienced.

Agree dont like that attitude myself. There is still a lot of unknowns...but good news today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Really looking forward to the 29th now. Can go for the Triple Crown of Freedom: the barber, the bookies and the bar. Will get the barnet chopped first as i look like Grizzly Adams and then off to sample some of Dublin's delights. Please god the worst is behind us and from now on we're heading in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

The numbers are low because they’re closed. You think cases under 10 a day will last once they open?

Yes I do.

We have all been moving around building sites for a month, shops for what 2 weeks? Shopping centres 10 days?

Yet to the chagrin of the doomsayers the new cases have flatlined.

To my knowledge there have been no cases associated with the opening up. The more we have opened up the more cases have plumetted.

There will be isolated clusters and the odd regional jump, but all in all things are steady. Once the tracing app is launched any outbreaks will be shut down before they start.

• Advertisement

Yes I do.

We have all been moving around building sites for a month, shops for what 2 weeks? Shopping centres 10 days?

Yet to the chagrin of the doomsayers the new cases have flatlined.

To my knowledge there have been no cases associated with the opening up. The more we have opened up the more cases have plumetted.

There will be isolated clusters and the odd regional jump, but all in all things are steady. Once the tracing app is launched any outbreaks will be shut down before they start.

I hope you are right but shops,shopping centres and building sites are not the areas of concern. Close contact indoor areas (pubs/hairdressers/schools etc) are the ones.

Unfortunately we now have cases associated with travel and cases in the community - which are associated with opening up. Just remember the majority of the country is still closed.

Hopefully we can keep in down and as you say shut down any outbreaks before they start

Great news today and the buzz is fab. Cases havent plummeted - it is just businesses havent opened up yet. Again my office isnt opening for staff to return until at least September- just an example. Outpatient appointments havent restarted yet and wont for a while due to risk.

But great news today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Think I’ll leave the pub till July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Good few pubs in Dun Laoghaire doing take away from front door. Amount of people drinking pints on George street earlier was crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

Be interesting to see when they will bring music back to pubs. If cases continue to reduce there could be music in pubs by the time 20th July comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Oh no. How will anything ever get done then. Put your toys back in the pram.

• Advertisement

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Oh no. How will anything ever get done then. Put your toys back in the pram.

Personal choice and will have **** all affect on you so you could try gathering your own up first.

Personal choice and will have **** all affect on you so you could try gathering your own up first.

Good to see the concept of personal choice doesn't escape you. No one will be forced to go to the pub or anywhere if they don't want to or it would be safer for them not to.

Good to see the concept of personal choice doesn't escape you. No one will be forced to go to the pub or anywhere if they don't want to or it would be safer for them not to.

You’ll all be helping spread a virus so it’s not the same thing. The heroes who don’t give a **** are the ones who’ll keep this around in a big way.

You’ll all be helping spread a virus so it’s not the same thing. The heroes who don’t give a **** are the ones who’ll keep this around in a big way.

People have been beating that drum for 3 months now and yet the cases still keep reducing.

People have been beating that drum for 3 months now and yet the cases still keep reducing.

I wonder why. It’s a huge mystery.

Doesn't sound like the pub experience in the "new normal" will be the most fun experience.

I can see after the initial few weeks a lot of people not bothering with them, particularly during the summer months.

6 wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like the pub experience in the "new normal" will be the most fun experience.

I can see after the initial few weeks a lot of people not bothering with them, particularly during the summer months.

After a few weeks, they will be back to fairly near normal, especially in non-urban pubs. Lot of the usual buzz kills will be absent too which adds to the appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

6 wrote: »

Have you tonights lotto numbers in your crystal ball?

After a few weeks, they will be back to fairly near normal, especially in non-urban pubs. Lot of the usual buzz kills will be absent too which adds to the appeal.

Time will tell. I'll be surprised if after a few weeks they will be back to near normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

A GROUP of 16 friends who went on a night out to an Irish pub in the US to celebrate the end of lockdown have all tested positive for Covid-19.

https://www.irishpost.com/news/sixteen-friends-test-positive-for-coronavirus-after-night-out-at-irish-pub-in-the-us-187058

Yes, it's not Ireland, there was no social distancing and it happened 2 weeks ago, but reports like this will put people right off going to pub.

• Advertisement

manster wrote: »
    A GROUP of 16 friends who went on a night out to an Irish pub in the US to celebrate the end of lockdown have all tested positive for Covid-19.

https://www.irishpost.com/news/sixteen-friends-test-positive-for-coronavirus-after-night-out-at-irish-pub-in-the-us-187058

Yes, it's not Ireland, there was no social distancing and it happened 2 weeks ago, but reports like this will put people right off going to pub.

Why do people keep bringing this up?

Florida has just over 4 times the population of the Rep of Ireland.

Yesterday they had 3300 new cases.

Yesterday we had 13 new cases.

For a visit to an Irish pub to be as dangerous as a visit to one in Florida we would need to be having circa 800 daily cases.

We only hit these sort of numbers in a 7 day period from April 10th to 18th (although with the bedlam and the lack of available tests it was probably twice this rate at the time)

For perspective, Florida has opened back up and they are where we were two weeks after we started full lockdown.

It's insanity, and the government should already be looking at measures to prevent travel to/ from places like the US, the UK etc.

Spain is encouraging UK tourists to return which is asking for trouble.

I wonder why. It’s a huge mystery.

Because the rate of spread in the general population in the last month has been negligible.

A few days before the shops opened, or before the travel restrictions were lifted, there were people saying this was too much, the virus was so nearly on its death bed that another month of lockdown would completely kill it.

There has been nothing to suggest that any of the new cases have had anything to do with the lifting of restrictions. So if we listened to these geniuses we would still be locked in the house, business still strangled, yet we would still be reporting the usual 7 to 23 cases per day every day.

There have been a handful related to travel. 2 single cases related to travel in NZ seem to have kicked off a minor civil war there, yet for us, ah shure we can't refuse tourists admission, that would be a bit rude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

manster wrote: »

Nah, reports like that will merely cause people online to give out about people going to the pub. The people going will continue to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I can see that busy city pubs could be a danger but I feel that if protective measures are taken. limiting time spacing outdoor tables masks disinfectants and toilet hygiene then quieter country pubs could open soon.

Places away from big cities and potentially higher corona levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Each to their own. If I am really honest, I cannot remember when I was last in a pub. More than a year or so.

Would be happy if the whole concept just died out. Overpriced and not even comfortable. Much prefer the coffee shop experience.

I know there's a fair few here who can't wait to be back in them but from my social circle, the majority tell me that they don't really miss them.

Look, we'll know in July and August.

saabsaab wrote: »
    I can see that busy city pubs could be a danger but I feel that if protective measures are taken. limiting time spacing outdoor tables masks disinfectants and toilet hygiene then quieter country pubs could open soon.

Places away from big cities and potentially higher corona levels.

The vast majority of quieter country pubs are staffed usually by a husband and wife and serve the local community. Where margin is already tight, and capacity limited by social distancing who will man the entry, take details of contact tracing and input it with times, ensure no crowding in bathrooms, disinfect tables sufficiently, serve, change kegs etc. The whole idea is unworkable and saying rural pubs who get way more of a crowd than a lot of urban bars is fiction.

joeguevara wrote: »
    The vast majority of quieter country pubs are staffed usually by a husband and wife and serve the local community. Where margin is already tight, and capacity limited by social distancing who will man the entry, take details of contact tracing and input it with times, ensure no crowding in bathrooms, disinfect tables sufficiently, serve, change kegs etc. The whole idea is unworkable and saying rural pubs who get way more of a crowd than a lot of urban bars is fiction.

Yip all of above is correct. Its a lot of pressure for rural pubs and a lot arent reopening for noew. We still havent seen the recommendations for normal pubs though but I assume they will be somewhat the same as what as been published.

and I am concerned myself as numbers are not going downwards despite what some say here.

but beer gardens will help that- anywhere outside will help so people dont crowd indoors.

nice weather and a nice summer :) and some logical guidelines

and I am concerned myself as numbers are not going downwards despite what some say here.

but beer gardens will help that- anywhere outside will help so people dont crowd indoors.

nice weather and a nice summer :) and some logical guidelines

I’d say the amount of bars in Ireland with actual beer gardens are minimal. Since the smoking ban, any usualble outside space is used as a smoking area. Vast majority are cramped. On a sunny weekend temporary tables are usually on the outside pavement. So if you use the smoking area as beer gardens where will people smoke and adhere to social distancing. Also, how many days in July and August do we have weather for them. Temperatures usually drop in the evening when pub goers would arrive. Now outside patio heaters can be used but the space they take up will mean it’s pointless. Also outside will require more staff if table service is imposed.

Staff will be on the Covid payment and won’t make sense to work. The more it’s analysed it’s not viable for so many pubs to reopen. And the industry was already suffering before it. Fixed costs like electricity, insurance, refrigeration, staff are constant but reduced capacity and increased costs of preventive measures will make the margin negligible.

The argument for reopening is the economy but if it will be a loss but increased risk of exposure makes the decision to reopen as madness.

If a pub is a limited company that employs a husband wife and son/daughter they will receive 1000k a week without opening. If open, they lose that, and probably make a loss with the hassle of working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭2forjoy

I miss the pint of Guinness. Not anywhere near the same in can ,which is pity.
    Waiting patiently for the reopening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

2forjoy wrote: »
    I miss the pint of Guinness. Not anywhere near the same in can ,which is pity.
    Waiting patiently for the reopening.

I'm actually very interested in the Guinness drinkers. They are the ones obviously craving the hardest as it does taste a lot different from tap but 2 things, one, lines haven't been flowing for months now and the best Guinness is usually in pubs that sell a lot of Guinness and more importantly 2, they've often been drinking either cans of stout or moved to lager or something else at home because it's sacrilege to drink Guinness from a can :) and tastes change. It could be like lent as a child where you go off something for a while and the cravings and excitement are there as you near the end only to realise afterwards that you don't love it anymore.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I'm actually very interested in the Guinness drinkers. They are the ones obviously craving the hardest as it does taste a lot different from tap but 2 things, one, lines haven't been flowing for months now and the best Guinness is usually in pubs that sell a lot of Guinness and more importantly 2, they've often been drinking either cans of stout or moved to lager or something else at home because it's sacrilege to drink Guinness from a can :) and tastes change. It could be like lent as a child where you go off something for a while and the cravings and excitement are there as you near the end only to realise afterwards that you don't love it anymore.

I can only comment about where I am living but I’d say half of the pubs have been offering takeaway and delivery of pints for the last 3-4 weeks with the biggest seller being Guinness so lines are flowing. Most kegs were returned to Diageo at the start of lockdown so it’s also new stock. It’s a myth that pubs that sell a lot of Guinness is a better quality. Dublin airport sells 775,000 pints of Guinness a year and its muck but my local at home goes through 4 kegs a week and it’s mana from heaven.

Pubs aren’t going to leave their lines to go rank and just turn all back on when they reopen. Everything will most likely be cleaned and the flow will be back on it in 20 minutes after doors open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Be very careful first few pulls

If strong smell of bleach in pub you visit best to leave or ask have the pipes been cleaned recently.

I got a rancid pint there in a prominent Dublin establishment, was very lucky to follow my nose and not continue drinking

Be careful with the first few pints

Need experts to clean the lines and some pubs wont be experienced

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Be very careful first few pulls

If strong smell of bleach in pub you visit best to leave or ask have the pipes been cleaned recently.

I got a rancid pint there in a prominent Dublin establishment, was very lucky to follow my nose and not continue drinking

Be careful with the first few pints

Need experts to clean the lines and some pubs wont be experienced

Diageo etc have all being out cleaning lines. Days of bleech are long gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Diageo etc have all being out cleaning lines. Days of bleech are long gone.

The stuff they use now is even more toxic and these lads arent exactly the most thorough. Just a heads up as with so much cleaning occurring there'll surely be some residual cleaning fluid left in a few taps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Just have a question on pubs from the 29th June. Is it the case that you have to buy food with if you’re going for a drink even though I think I’m right in saying pubs without a restaurant licence can open? Also are the remainder of pubs not due to open til the 20th July and if so has there been any indication that this date might be brought forward?

Sorry if this has been dealt with already. Have been studying for exams this weather so haven’t been following developments the last few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Redo91 wrote: »
    Just have a question on pubs from the 29th June. Is it the case that you have to buy food with if you’re going for a drink even though I think I’m right in saying pubs without a restaurant licence can open? Also are the remainder of pubs not due to open til the 20th July and if so has there been any indication that this date might be brought forward?

Sorry if this has been dealt with already. Have been studying for exams this weather so haven’t been following developments the last few days.

From the 29th June until the 20th July Pubs are operating essentially as restaurants. In order to drink you will need to purchase a meal for a minimum value of 9 euros.

After the 20th July pubs can open only serving alcohol. No indications if that date will be brought forward.

The stuff they use now is even more toxic and these lads arent exactly the most thorough. Just a heads up as with so much cleaning occurring there'll surely be some residual cleaning fluid left in a few taps

You are talking pure ****e

Under normal circumstances a pub who wants to serve food considered to be a sufficient meal would need to apply to the District Court for a certificate. Without this a normal pub licence would not allow the sale of said meal where alcohol is served. Any establishment that applies for this for the first time will invariably receive a surprise inspection from an Environmental Health Officer to inspect where it is prepared, stored and ensure that appropriate allergens are displayed and staff are trained. It usually requires a change in Planning too. It was mentioned that secondary legislation will be enacted to exempt from this procedure but as yet I haven’t seen it. If what we are lead to believe that it is a requirement to purchase a meal to be able to enter a pub, it would have to be reasonably varied for all the group to eat. Vegetarian options too. Cross contamination is a huge risk with people with allergies.

So a pub that is not normally a restaurant is allowed to prepare food without being inspected. Has the hallmarks of a food positioning nightmare or even worse a severe allergic reaction because a curry contained peanuts that the server was unaware of. All because they wanted two weeks earlier opening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

ShyMets wrote: »
    From the 29th June until the 20th July Pubs are operating essentially as restaurants. In order to drink you will need to purchase a meal for a minimum value of 9 euros.

After the 20th July pubs can open only serving alcohol. No indications if that date will be brought forward.

Thanks. So I’m guessing pubs won’t be open til beyond 11pm then if they have to serve food?

Redo91 wrote: »
    Thanks. So I’m guessing pubs won’t be open til beyond 11pm then if they have to serve food?

It’s anyone’s guess what is going to happen. If the guidelines are to be followed then a meal has to be served to get a table. How many people want to go to a pub at 9.30 and have a microwave lasagne put in front of them when all they wanted was a few drinks. If food runs out does that mean pub closes. Will there be a chef or someone who can cook and prepare food til 11. Will there be enough waiting staff to take orders, serve, clean etc til 11.

Until it begins and see how something that has never been done before works, no one has a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I miss the pub long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I never said that rural pubs get more of a crowd than urban ones.

Most would have no great trouble with social distancing normally. They know most of their customers and with disinfectant sprays in strategic locations could open up easily enough.

saabsaab wrote: »
    I never said that rural pubs get more of a crowd than urban ones.

Most would have no great trouble with social distancing normally. They know most of their customers and with disinfectant sprays in strategic locations could open up easily enough.

I was saying that a lot of pubs in towns and villages would normally be packed on a Saturday night and Sunday. My cousin owns the only pub in a small village in Kilkenny. Without fail it was packed on a Saturday night and all day Sunday. It’s way busier on those days than most pubs in Dublin suburbs.

If he was to follow the current guidelines, he would have to quarter his capacity on the only two days he has trade. It’s not about disinfectant sprays. The fact that as you say he knows most of his customers will make it even more unworkable. If someone is refused entry it could mean that they never return.

Also in an urban pub the chances of the entire pub knowing each other is much less than a rural one. That on the face of it makes it easier for tables to be kept apart with minimal interaction. In a pub where people live work and socialise together all of their lives, it increases mixing of tables.

I’d say the amount of bars in Ireland with actual beer gardens are minimal. Since the smoking ban, any usualble outside space is used as a smoking area. Vast majority are cramped. On a sunny weekend temporary tables are usually on the outside pavement. So if you use the smoking area as beer gardens where will people smoke and adhere to social distancing. Also, how many days in July and August do we have weather for them. Temperatures usually drop in the evening when pub goers would arrive. Now outside patio heaters can be used but the space they take up will mean it’s pointless. Also outside will require more staff if table service is imposed.

Staff will be on the Covid payment and won’t make sense to work. The more it’s analysed it’s not viable for so many pubs to reopen. And the industry was already suffering before it. Fixed costs like electricity, insurance, refrigeration, staff are constant but reduced capacity and increased costs of preventive measures will make the margin negligible.

The argument for reopening is the economy but if it will be a loss but increased risk of exposure makes the decision to reopen as madness.

If a pub is a limited company that employs a husband wife and son/daughter they will receive 1000k a week without opening. If open, they lose that, and probably make a loss with the hassle of working.

they won't lose it if their revenue is down 25% they can still claim wage subsidy till end of august

they won't lose it if their revenue is down 25% they can still claim wage subsidy till end of august

Apologies I was not aware of that. The rest of it still stands. If the pub opens at very limited capacity with the same level of fixed costs and additional ones, it would cancel out any subsidy and may even outweigh it.

Apologies I was not aware of that. The rest of it still stands. If the pub opens at very limited capacity with the same level of fixed costs and additional ones, it would cancel out any subsidy and may even outweigh it.

you can have 100 people indoors on the 20th of july and 1m sd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

You'll need a fair bit of space. Thats 25 tables and I assume we'll still be doing table service even then which will mean probably 3/4 staff just to do drink. One on bar, one host/server/social distance enforcer and 2 full servers/floor staff.

Think they need to set out the longer term guidelines for bars soon so they can start to decide whether to open and how best to lay out the establishment plus train staff.

You can have 100 people inside with appropriate social distancing if you have the room to do so. Are tables required and what are the requirements for different groups.

I was discussing the pub/restaurant issue but remains to be seen what the July opening will mean. Hopefully by then we will still have very low rates.

• Advertisement
Advertisement