Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you miss the pub?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Was in town today and it's still pretty miserable walking around. Many shops still closed and the few who were open had the odd queue waiting to get in. No real life about the place. Not as bad as the day i was in town before lockdown but still a mile off the city we know and love. I did see some workers inside the Porterhouse, Nassau St but its hard to see the city bursting into life next Monday. It will be a slow burner, perhaps. We can only wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Dickie10 wrote: »
    once their in the know with the right people they will be grand, shur its ireland. the little pub up the road from me was open a god bit too. never raided though, most people drink and drive home from it too and never gaurds near it. the local cop shop closed down around 7 years ago and its on the far reaches of the next area and they never drive out unless called to something.

Probably true. A few were open to select customers who wouldn't talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

for the next 3 weeks pubs that are rather clicky with the locals will be interesting

Locals getting the wink/whispers too come in and stay quite, no €9 meal for them only drink

Whole things a ****ing mess and sounds better in theory than it could be

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

PTH2009 wrote: »
    for the next 3 weeks pubs that are rather clicky with the locals will be interesting

Locals getting the wink/whispers too come in and stay quite, no €9 meal for them only drink

You seem to have the inside track so I`m sure you will soon let us know what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

You seem to have the inside track so I`m sure you will soon let us know what happens

I wouldn't say its the inside track. I expect most Pubs will bend the rules when it comes to regulars.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

oh yea a pub that does grub and has a good drinking crowd will no more be looking for 9 euro off some auld lad than the man in the moon, he might get a plate left in front of him maybe if any one calls in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

PTH2009 wrote: »

I'm so soooo glad I'm not in one of those pubs anymore. We have regulars and get on great with them and will lean on the bar and have the chat but no special treatment. Doesn't stop them trying to add us all on facebook recently to see if there was any side door shenanigans :/
    I know an odd bar that is or will do that but most are actually looking to follow the rules from what I can hear at least locally. But yeah if your local wants to accommodate you and you're ok with them probably not following the rules either I don't think anyone is going to stop you. I just hope people don't get their knickers in a twist if their local pub actually god forbid tries to enforce the guidelines. At the end of the day the person telling you you need to order a meal or your time is up is most likely on a ****ty wage and is just following the rules like most of the country.

The UK opening pubs on the 4th July which is a Saturday

Chaos

so you can go to north for a night away and drink in any pub. you would have to thin the republic should let all pubs open on the monday 6th july

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Few of the lads on about heading up to the North just after the 4th for a session

Bizzare how are pubs aren't long open by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

How will young people survive these type of rules if a lot of people in this age group are now more likely to catch this virus? Does this make the risk of re-infection become much higher than it should do if any of the pubs here are not complying with the restricted openings on purpose?

A huge amount of younger people in the southern states along with Los Angeles in the U.S. are getting infected with Covid-19. It was reported from journalists in America that L.A. got an infection rate of 36.2% within a two week period. Most of that rate was linked with young people getting infected from Covid-19. It has also started to re-emerge here in Ireland with a third of new cases cropping up for the past while being linked to young people with Simon Harris & Dr Tony Holohan giving out public statements in Dublin on these recent spates of new cases here.

A lot of pubs in urban areas may be thinking that younger people maybe more likely to be in a pub unless some of them are working in essential jobs like supermarkets or non-essential retail units that have re-opened recently. Public Transport is also a big issue here because let's say for example; if two young people cannot meet up in a pub because of PT services being used for excess amounts of demand by essential & retail workers; the younger people have to stay confined to their local to have a few pints with a meal. For older people though; how does these new guidelines work out for them if a lot of them are not able to go out if they are WfH? They cannot really go to a pub while they are in work if they are stuck at home having online meetings with their colleagues. They would have to prefer going to the pub while they have a day off from work to go & have a few pints with food while either on their own or with their partner or friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Few of the lads on about heading up to the North just after the 4th for a session

Bizzare how are pubs aren't long open by now

I think it's bizarre that they are opening pubs before they feel safe to even open gyms! But if it gives people here a crazy story to tell for years of a roadtrip up north and gets people to see a bit of the country it isn't without its positives. I'd say wait till the actual guidelines are released though as it could end up like here with time limits or such.

so you can go to north for a night away and drink in any pub. you would have to thin the republic should let all pubs open on the monday 6th july

We don’t have to blindly follow the UK in everything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Why would you think this? Anyway it`s not going to happen in the way you are suggesting anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

its meals and booking in uk too

cant wait for the facebook/instagram pictures of the first pint they have in pub

Im guessing for the next 3 weeks you cant rock up to a place 'ah im here to meet me mates who have a table booked' or 'its quiet here ring the lads to come down '

'Give us your cheapest meal with 3 pints'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Anyone booked into there local for food and pints on Monday?

any word on nightclubs being open? mad for a few pints and bit of dancing

• Advertisement

Going to leave it a month and see the numbers personally. The siblings are all booked in for during the week though so it’ll add on a month minimum til I see them unfortunately. Wouldn’t blame them though, I’d love to be going myself.

any word on nightclubs being open? mad for a few pints and bit of dancing[/QUOTE

Say it could be a while before nightclubs open Dickie

Going to leave it a month and see the numbers personally. The siblings are all booked in for during the week though so it’ll add on a month minimum til I see them unfortunately. Wouldn’t blame them though, I’d love to be going myself.

Going to wait until the weekend of the 24th/25th July before i head back to the pub for a few pints.Want to enjoy my few pints and not to be asked to leave after 105 minutes

Wont be booking anything. Never have so not going to start now. If i feel like a few on Monday i'll find a pub or two who dont require bookings. I may hold out until Tue or Wed to let the dust settle.

Wont be booking anything. Never have so not going to start now. If i feel like a few on Monday i'll find a pub or two who dont require bookings. I may hold out until Tue or Wed to let the dust settle.

I am sure any locals in a small town or village wont be taking any bookings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It will all either come back to some kind of normal or it won't.

Be interesting to see what happens across the water on 4th July. You know, pubs open there, not sure about sitting at the bar or table service, someone there might know. (UK).

Why not just book and not be deliberately awkward?

Why not just book and not be deliberately awkward?

I have friends that run pubs in the north inner city. I won't need to book. All depends on how i feel on Monday . But booking? Not a hope. And no need.

I know our weather is generally crapp, but honestly the lack of outdoor space anywhere for pubs is abysmal.

Outdoors is far safer than being stuck at a table inside. And don't tell me that other countries don't have outside drinking they do. They are given space by their councils and provide heating, awnings, and blankets. Been there, done that, it's great to people watch. Spent four days in Maastricht in December and it was cold outside, but the pubs made sure we were all fine with heaters and so on. Same goes on for the Christmas Markets (haven't partaken).. It can be done.

The issue in Ireland is the lack of space outside. Cars and roads are king.

We need to get with the program post Covid and see what the heck we can do.

Does anyone agree?

• Advertisement

Close all the roads and deliver the barrels to all these pubs on the back of bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Do they accept bookings for one? ðŸ§

Close all the roads and deliver the barrels to all these pubs on the back of bikes.

LOL

Do they accept bookings for one? ðŸ§

Well that's a big issue for my elderly uncle who loves his pint of G and his grub. Don't know.

Does anyone?

:):)

Well that's a big issue for my elderly uncle who loves his pint of G and his grub. Don't know.

Does anyone?

Most likely there’s nothing stopping them but they’ll all be on the grab now and one person at a table won’t make them enough. I could see a good few places turning down 2’s or 3’s also.

• Advertisement

Wonder will they reduce the social distance from 2m to 1m before July 20th. One of my locals would have a great crowd in on a Saturday night and he says if they dont reduce it he will only be allowed a max of 20 in at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Wonder will they reduce the social distance from 2m to 1m before July 20th. One of my locals would have a great crowd in on a Saturday night and he says if they dont reduce it he will only be allowed a max of 20 in at a time

Its already 1m so long as they basically have a bit more signage

one of the bigger pubs / gastro bars near me is doing 60% bookings 40% walk ins. The 105 min limit I've been told will losely apply, basically if its not that busy and your not taking the piss you'll be allowed stay as long as you want

Its already 1m so long as they basically have a bit more signage

Ahh right i didnt hear that

Ahh right i didnt hear that

In what are described as "controlled environments".

Basically we'll be seeing more of the snugs coming back I feel which I don't think is a bad thing at all

• Advertisement

In what are described as "controlled environments".

Basically we'll be seeing more of the snugs coming back I feel which I don't think is a bad thing at all

Bringing back snugs would be a great idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭showpony1

any changes to this recently? its still going be dinners and pints from monday for 90mins with no music?

seeing some disco bars on social media posting about opening as if its back to the way things were from Monday but they must just want that perception to drum up numbers.

showpony1 wrote: »
    any changes to this recently? its still going be dinners and pints from monday for 90mins with no music?

seeing some disco bars on social media posting about opening as if its back to the way things were from Monday but they must just want that perception to drum up numbers.

No mention of no music in any of the guidelines, its allowed and I know bars bringing in music.
    105 minutes for food and drinks, again already know of local bars that have said they won't be strict on the time limit.

Pubs as they were without the food requirement from 20th July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I know our weather is generally crapp, but honestly the lack of outdoor space anywhere for pubs is abysmal.

Outdoors is far safer than being stuck at a table inside. And don't tell me that other countries don't have outside drinking they do. They are given space by their councils and provide heating, awnings, and blankets. Been there, done that, it's great to people watch. Spent four days in Maastricht in December and it was cold outside, but the pubs made sure we were all fine with heaters and so on. Same goes on for the Christmas Markets (haven't partaken).. It can be done.

The issue in Ireland is the lack of space outside. Cars and roads are king.

We need to get with the program post Covid and see what the heck we can do.

Does anyone agree?

No, it's not that cars are king now. It's donkeys and horses and carts were king. Most of our towns and cities were built with narrow streets just to accommodate that only.
    Our streets rarely were rased wholesale and rebuilt in one swoop, just patchwork development, we didn't get bombed in WW2 and forced to rebuild, we don't have wide boulevards, or wide footpaths and open piazzas that can accommodate tables and chairs.

Nearest equivalent was the Irish town square that once doubled as an occasional animal mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

Where are these pubs that are opening with music? Dying for a (non-virtual) gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Where are these pubs that are opening with music? Dying for a (non-virtual) gig
    Those virtual gigs are the biggest load of bollox ever in fairness! No substitute for the real deal

At least pubs won't have to worry about a crunch Liverpool game now

The day/night they get the cup might be busy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Thank god Liverpool have won the league tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

It’ll be interesting to see when they actually bring music back to the pubs. It’s hard to have interest in pubs with no music, especially at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Thank god Liverpool have won the league tonight

I never thought I would ever say this.....but thank feck the pubs are closed :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement