Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you miss the pub?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It’ll be interesting to see when they actually bring music back to the pubs. It’s hard to have interest in pubs with no music, especially at night.

Prefer the talk myself unless there is a good singer. Must say that the music brings people in though..many of them don't drink much.

I never thought I would ever say this.....but thank feck the pubs are closed :D
    Couldnt say it better myself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Live music could be an expense too far for a lot of pubs. One guy with a guitar is about 200 Euro for a couple of hours. Also, the area with a speaker, mixer, chair etc could fit in 2-3 tables for revenue that is badly needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i really dont think there is going to be as much demand on space in pubs when they reopen next week i would say in 60% of them there will be no ques and you can go inn and sit for a few hours. i presume if you go into a pub get a andwich or whatever and there maybe only 1 or 2 tables full and loads free there not going to kick you out

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i really dont think there is going to be as much demand on space in pubs when they reopen next week i would say in 60% of them there will be no ques and you can go inn and sit for a few hours. i presume if you go into a pub get a andwich or whatever and there maybe only 1 or 2 tables full and loads free there not going to kick you out

Thats the whole point really, if your not going for a meal you wont be going out, it's restaurants that open next week.

I agree theres going to be places that won't kick you out after 2 hours.

There'll be some places that are busy, ones that always did a good food trade but in general it'll be 3 weeks time when there might be an increase in demand. I know plenty of people myself included who've booked time off work that week.

We're going to meet friends locally for a few midweek pints and then head down the country for 3 nights and enjoy a short break while popping into some of the local pubs.

yeah im planning to go to killarney and kenmare in late july on a half business trip and enjoy a few pubs at my lesiiure for 2 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

saabsaab wrote: »
    Prefer the talk myself unless there is a good singer. Must say that the music brings people in though..many of them don't drink much.

Same, two of my locals... one my main local local have all their music upstairs so if you are in the bar downstairs or indeed the lounge you can still have a conversation without resorting to lip reading...

The other place while a decent boozer have a tiny bar which is not the most comfy, the lounge is really nice but the quality of the music is very hit and miss... pub have their own PA which would drown out world war 3 and the sound guys try their best to and be more suitable to Vicar St

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

Will rarely be in the pub if there is and live music or a DJ, i’d take anything at this point. I’ve booked tickets to see three Drive in concerts of bands that I would never have gone to pre-COVID

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

saabsaab wrote: »

Depends on the type of drinking, the talk would be more of a day thing. For me its more music at night.

With no music I'd rather just go for a few during the day and head home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Its weird because pre COVID I woudd go out for a few drinks with friends on a Friday or Saturday night almost without fail. Since the lockdown I dont miss the pub at all and in fact have only drank at home on two particular weekends between March and now. Dont miss alcohol at all. Im sure I will go to the pub at some stage over the summer and catch up with some mates but for the moment I am just doin the whole Zoom thing and meeting friends out in the open air, playing pitch and putt, going for coffee etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

gazzer wrote: »
    Its weird because pre COVID I woudd go out for a few drinks with friends on a Friday or Saturday night almost without fail. Since the lockdown I dont miss the pub at all and in fact have only drank at home on two particular weekends between March and now. Dont miss alcohol at all. Im sure I will go to the pub at some stage over the summer and catch up with some mates but for the moment I am just doin the whole Zoom thing and meeting friends out in the open air, playing pitch and putt, going for coffee etc.
    The whole Zoom thing got very tiresome very fast, in my experience at least. At the outset of the lockdown, my friends and I arranged a Zoom call each weekend, we'd have a few cans, maybe a game of online poker, etc. However, as the weeks went by, excuses started to roll in (what else could you possibly be doing during lockdown anyway :D) and lads just stopped doing the Zoom calls. Reality was, Zoom calls are a poor compromise, and most of my group are longing for the pubs to open for a bit of face-to-face physical interaction, a few pints, and a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

gazzer wrote: »

That will be part of the concern for pubs. Has peoples habits changed? Pubs will still get customers of course, but if people like yourself cut down significantly it will have a serious financial impact. But also on the atmosphere of a pub.

It doesn't need people to stop going, just to reduce from maybe twice a week to once a fortnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Leroy42 wrote: »
    That will be part of the concern for pubs. Has peoples habits changed? Pubs will still get customers of course, but if people like yourself cut down significantly it will have a serious financial impact. But also on the atmosphere of a pub.

It doesn't need people to stop going, just to reduce from maybe twice a week to once a fortnight.

I guess it depends on why you go to the pub.
    For example, my best friend and I would go to the pub to watch Premier League football, and this won't change, so we can still go to the pub. We are lucky that in the Dundrum area where we would usually go out there are 2-3 pubs that are rarely busy (usually only on Sundays and when there is GAA on) so we would be able to sit and watch the match in peace and chances are we wouldn't be kicked out after 90 minutes.
    I guess it might be different for the Dublin City Center sports bars like Sinnotts, The Living Room, Buskers or Woolshed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Leroy42 wrote: »

That is a big unknown but maybe people with knowledge of behavioral science will be able to provide answers. Nevertheless, purely based on anecdotal experience, I think people will be slow to return at the start (apart from the initial onslaught) but, over time, confidence will rebuild (provided we don't get a high upsurge) and peoples former habits will redevelop. We might have suppressed the virus, but I don't think 3 months is enough to suppress peoples habits indefinitely.

Didn’t go on long enough for any habits to change. Everyone patting themselves on the back is being very premature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

can see people booking time slots in places just cause its the cool thing to do and they will document it all for likes and attention on social media

Cant wait to hear all the stories about pubs opening and not obeying the rules etc

peoples habits wont change nor should they, we will just get on with life and those afraid of such settings should keep away from them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

PTH2009 wrote: »
    can see people booking time slots in places just cause its the cool thing to do and they will document it all for likes and attention on social media

Cant wait to hear all the stories about pubs opening and not obeying the rules etc

Why is that exactly?

Why is that exactly?

a mix of boredom and curiosity

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

a mix of boredom and curiosity

yep be great when they get closed down and people lose their jobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Jizique

yep be great when they get closed down and people lose their jobs

https://mobile.twitter.com/KPRC2/status/1276692978489266177

Texas governor says opening bars was a big mistake

Jizique wrote: »

its opening travel here will be the mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Jizique wrote: »

The issue in Texas isn't so much the Bars opening early. Its that they can out of lockdown far too early.

We're in a better place. But we will see an increase in cases over the next few weeks as the country exits lockdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I guess it depends on why you go to the pub.
    For example, my best friend and I would go to the pub to watch Premier League football, and this won't change, so we can still go to the pub. We are lucky that in the Dundrum area where we would usually go out there are 2-3 pubs that are rarely busy (usually only on Sundays and when there is GAA on) so we would be able to sit and watch the match in peace and chances are we wouldn't be kicked out after 90 minutes.
    I guess it might be different for the Dublin City Center sports bars like Sinnotts, The Living Room, Buskers or Woolshed.

I'd be amazed if ye were, in a non-busy pub.

missing the pint badly tonight, a few other lads said the same today. lot of people jittery for pints and pub tonight. at least hotels are open from monday , after the intial rush next week id say it might not be too hard to have an evening drinking in a quiet hotel if you wanted to.

missing the pint badly tonight, a few other lads said the same today. lot of people jittery for pints and pub tonight. at least hotels are open from monday , after the intial rush next week id say it might not be too hard to have an evening drinking in a quiet hotel if you wanted to.

jittery for pints hmm , would a bag of cans not do the trick ?

i thought Hotel bars dont open til the 20th ?

do they not? jesus. no dont drink cans at home, havent drank since march 7th. just would love to be able to ramble out to the town and pull into pubs that i feel like it. another 3 weeks so.

ShyMets wrote: »
    The issue in Texas isn't so much the Bars opening early. Its that they can out of lockdown far too early.

We're in a better place. But we will see an increase in cases over the next few weeks as the country exits lockdown

True. It's not the Bars themselves that are dangerous but how they manage the people inside.

do they not? jesus. no dont drink cans at home, havent drank since march 7th. just would love to be able to ramble out to the town and pull into pubs that i feel like it. another 3 weeks so.

all slots in Dublin are booked apparently for the next few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

saabsaab wrote:
    True. It's not the Bras themselves that are dangerous but how they manage the people inside.

Those bras can be lethal. Especially the D cups.

Those bras can be lethal. Especially the D cups.

Fixed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

No chance of that. If you want a few drinks in Dublin you'll get them.

No chance of that. If you want a few drinks in Dublin you'll get them.

oooh you must be the guy in the know for alcohol , I hear it's hard to get in Ireland could you put me in touch with some of your contacts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

oooh you must be the guy in the know for alcohol , I hear it's hard to get in Ireland could you put me in touch with some of your contacts

I don't reveal my contacts to freaks i dont know.

Video on social media of a Garda going nuts at a bar manager for not controlling the queue for takeout specifically social distancing. Threatened to notify inspector with the implication of effecting license. Funny thing was the queue looked fine. No rowdiness. Each group separate. Also, as far as I know 2m thing In public is not law and not up To a business to do it. I’ve never seen any security in a supermarket telling people to distance while they were outside. Is this a case of things to come with Gardai and pubs opening?

joeguevara wrote: »
    Video on social media of a Garda going nuts at a bar manager for not controlling the queue for takeout specifically social distancing. Threatened to notify inspector with the implication of effecting license. Funny thing was the queue looked fine. No rowdiness. Each group separate. Also, as far as I know 2m thing In public is not law and not up To a business to do it. I’ve never seen any security in a supermarket telling people to distance while they were outside. Is this a case of things to come with Gardai and pubs opening?

the cops were inside , did you not know that by now

fair play to bands doing live streams and all that but its just not the same.

LIDL/ALDI brand night out experience (Music on the TV and Cans)

the cops were inside , did you not know that by now

I didn’t. But it doesn’t change the fact the Garda outside was only discussing the queue and how the bar wasn’t controlling social distancing between the people.

• Advertisement

joeguevara wrote: »
    I didn’t. But it doesn’t change the fact the Garda outside was only discussing the queue and how the bar wasn’t controlling social distancing between the people.

was Gemma O D there? It might explain things

was Gemma O D there? It might explain things

She was skulling pints, eating a kebab, saying the ould kosher meet has a bit of a tang to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

at first glance the gutterpress sensationalist papers wanted you to see that, read again and its a vague "some" or "most" with no backup figures. Makes sense to say this to spur more into booking.

rubadub wrote: »
    at first glance the gutterpress sensationalist papers wanted you to see that, read again and its a vague "some" or "most" with no backup figures. Makes sense to say this to spur more into booking.

Haven’t seen where it came from but unless there is a public database of pubs booking system, it’s purely anecdotal. For instance my two friends own two pubs and they are still working on a booking app.

RTE reporting it even

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0627/1150030-dublin-pubs-reopening-bookings/

Haha haha so the basis of the article is the head of the vitners saying people want to go the pub and vindicating opening. He was hardly going to say, jaysus lads, the whole things a fcuck up and we should have stayed closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I saw that and it was exactly what I am talking about
    Dublin pubs are reportedly booked out for their reopening next week.
    WTF!!! the pubs are booked out!!?
    Most say they are booked out for the first half of the week
    ohhh riiiighttt, "most" could be 5% for all we know.

They have a strong vested interest to be telling people there is huge demand for bookings. They want every second booked out in advance if possible. Many might struggle.

Maybe they really are booked out. I know few who had much interest, most couples were going to go to a restaurant, where you would be more likely to get decent food and no government enforced/suggested time limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I saw that and it was exactly what I am talking about

WTF!!! the pubs are booked out!!?

ohhh riiiighttt, "most" could be 5% for all we know.

They have a strong vested interest to be telling people there is huge demand for bookings. They want every second booked out in advance if possible. Many might struggle.

Maybe they really are booked out. I know few who had much interest, most couples were going to go to a restaurant, where you would be more likely to get decent food and no government enforced/suggested time limit.

The time limit applies to restaurants and bars operating as restaurants. How many actually adhere to it is anyones guess

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

For all the zealots who'd prefer if pubs remained shut, here's an IT article that explains how many feel right now:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/i-miss-the-swift-lunchtime-drink-that-somehow-turns-into-a-lethal-in-the-chipper-at-3am-bender-1.4283461

...and don't bother with your outrage, as I won't be reading it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

watlantic wrote: »
    For all the zealots who'd prefer if pubs remained shut, here's an IT article that explains how many feel right now:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/i-miss-the-swift-lunchtime-drink-that-somehow-turns-into-a-lethal-in-the-chipper-at-3am-bender-1.4283461

...and don't bother with your outrage, as I won't be reading it :p

Not that many would prefer pubs to remain shut, I think you might be inventing enemies for yourself.

People want pubs to reopen when it is safe to do so. Just like restaurants, hairdressers, everything really.

We have all accepted the new reality and lived with the restrictions. Lack of sports, libraries, shops etc. The issue with pubs is that they are actually predicted on reducting social distance, it is actual one of the major impacts on the product they sell. So that makes their reopening a potential issue.

The fact that so many on this thread have such strong negative reactions to the restrictions shows the potential issues with pubs opening.

One thing I have noticed is how quickly one returns to previous habits. With soort training returning it is easy to let your guard down and get back to shaking hands when meeting people. I was very focused on SD since the start but as things start to return to normal it becomes harder as your focus drops.

That will happen on a much larger scale in pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Looking forward to hitting a local pub tomorrow. I'll have the bacon and cabbage and as many pints of Guinness as I can get into me in 105 mins. It's not the pub I normally frequent but I don't care, for the next three weeks it'll do. Need a pick me up to get away from the absolute depression that is covid19 .

• Advertisement
Advertisement