Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you miss the pub?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

ShooterSF wrote: »
    So I met a friend for a few drinks and a bite to eat. We went in at 7.30 so were allowed to stay as kitchen closed at 9pm. Few around but all well behaved at their tables. One server for it felt like every 3 or 4 tables, plus management and bar staff. They were keeping track of who was booked at each table and what staff they interacted with. Little hand sanatiser stations set up throughout the pub. Was really impressed. They really seemed to be going out of their way to make you fell comfortable.

What was food like. Any entertainment. Did you have fun. Hope you and your friend had a fun night,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

joeguevara wrote: »
    What was food like. Any entertainment. Did you have fun. Hope you and your friend had a fun night,

Food was amazing. It was actually my first time in the place. They only opened a few weeks before lockdown. No entertainment but wouldn't be common on a Thursday round here. Great night actually, I've been one of those who has only been in Tesco at 9pm every Monday and the local shop for the occasional last minute bottle of vino since March, so yeah great to meet up and have a few. Plus it is so cheap when meeting for "one" doesn't result in falling out of a hotel you used to work in at 6am having blown 200 quid on mostly jager :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Went into a well known local pub tonight, its a big place, lots of outdoor seating etc. Had dinner around 7.30, watched the football and left after last orders around midnight. Kitchen closed 10pm.

A good crowd in for a Thursday. Garda car sitting outside watching people leave but never came near the pub itself, they're there most nights when there's a late closing Thursday through Sunday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Queue the busy bodies out this weekend in full force with their camera on their phone, ready to pounce at the first instance of rule flouting they see and upload it to social media. Fcuk off Karen :D:D

Don’t know why anyone would report their local pub, maybe different in the city if a big establishment are blatantly packing people in...

There are some people who hate drinking and hate pubs and will be out and about this weekend for “a meal” they have no more interest in being in the pub for, just to find an opportunity to snitch.

If Jim and mick who have been meeting for their one - two pints every evening in life as neighbors for the last 15 years after their dinner - want to go out and start that again this weekend. And the barman doesn’t serve them a meal. I really couldn’t give a hoot. Obviously other people get very riled up by this!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

ShooterSF wrote: »
    So I met a friend for a few drinks and a bite to eat. We went in at 7.30 so were allowed to stay as kitchen closed at 9pm. Few around but all well behaved at their tables. One server for it felt like every 3 or 4 tables, plus management and bar staff. They were keeping track of who was booked at each table and what staff they interacted with. Little hand sanatiser stations set up throughout the pub. Was really impressed. They really seemed to be going out of their way to make you fell comfortable.

Had the same myself last night. Food and pints and we were allowed to stay over the 105 mins. Which was acceptable I think. We didn't take the piss tho. Plenty spacing between all the tables. Had the football on, but not to the regular levels of volume as pre-COVID but I could accept that. Staff were were on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Queue the busy bodies out this weekend in full force with their camera on their phone, ready to pounce at the first instance of rule flouting they see and upload it to social media. Fcuk off Karen :D:D

Don’t know why anyone would report their local pub, maybe different in the city if a big establishment are blatantly packing people in...

There are some people who hate drinking and hate pubs and will be out and about this weekend for “a meal” they have no more interest in being in the pub for, just to find an opportunity to snitch.

If Jim and mick who have been meeting for their one - two pints every evening in life as neighbors for the last 15 years after their dinner - want to go out and start that again this weekend. And the barman doesn’t serve them a meal. I really couldn’t give a hoot. Obviously other people get very riled up by this!!

Lad getting riled up about other people getting riled up before it's even happened. :rolleyes:

SteM wrote: »
    Lad getting riled up about other people getting riled up before it's even happened. :rolleyes:

I’ll be calling out the Karen’s of the world if I see any at the above complaining on my escapades tonight :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

I don't mind some leeway with the rules e.g. a little over the 105 limit, and a less strict demand food be purchased.

But if it turns into sessions where people are jammed in from front door to back then I think that is a problem. It's mistrust by public health officials that has led to the staggered openings and having to buy a meal plus time limit (I doubt you've to leave the Cinema after 1hr 45mins if the movie is still on).

But I would say that cautious reluctancy would be justified if some pubs decide no measures of control apply to them and undermine the position of the publicans arguing they're being discriminated against. I'd be happy to see all the pubs open to be honest but every business should be operating with safety and the prevention of potential spread of infection on their premises in mind. If they're not doing that and we only one week in it would be very disappointing to see.

I don't mind some leeway with the rules e.g. a little over the 105 limit, and a less strict demand food be purchased.

But if it turns into sessions where people are jammed in from front door to back then I think that is a problem. It's mistrust by public health officials that has led to the staggered openings and having to buy a meal plus time limit (I doubt you've to leave the Cinema after 1hr 45mins if the movie is still on).

But I would say that cautious reluctancy would be justified if some pubs decide no measures of control apply to them and undermine the position of the publicans arguing they're being discriminated against. I'd be happy to see all the pubs open to be honest but every business should be operating with safety and the prevention of potential spread of infection on their premises in mind. If they're not doing that and we only one week in it would be very disappointing to see.

Yeah - lads in for a match all jammed up against each other being unruly, or too many people in and too drunk isn’t on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭strawdog

Yeah I do get the impression there is an unofficial wink and a nod in to how rigidly the measures are to be enforced. If they had opened them up without a time restriction it would have been a free for all that could lead to a very sharp spike. As long as people feel some constraints and are kept mindful of the danger it keeps a lid on things and gives a chance to somewhat catch a resurgence if it happens before it gets out of hand

Was out last night in outdoor section of pub and we and others were allowed stay over an hour past the the time. It didn't make a huge difference but glad the drinks finished when they did as you could feel it was on the turn. If i'm honest I personally wouldn't be in a mad rush back to the pub again as the underlying anxiety I felt meant it just didn't do for me what the pub should

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I hate when people use the term "snitch". If someone is breaking the rules, they're breaking the rules. It's this defensive attitude where you're trying to deflect your wrongdoing to someone else.

I'm not going to be taking photos or reporting anyone, but I wouldn't be annoyed with anyone that's raising concerns about blatant flouting of the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Went out for food and pints last night,was an interesting experience.
    3 of us out,Mrs ordered a main,I ordered a starter €8 and my friend ordered chips €3.
    The girl took the order but then came back and said we individually have to order more than €9.
    I ordered a second starter bringing my total up to €17 and my mate ordered 3 chips.He explained he didn't want 3 chips and asked if he could pay for 3 and just get the one portion.....No,3 portions arrived down.
    The server also said if we have to go to the toilet to out our hands up!
    I saw a couple of fellas come in on their own and just order drinks.The place was at 20% capacity.
    We were told that the 105 min rule would be enforced but we stayed about 20 mins after.
    All in all it was good to be out and I think if we went into the same place next week it would be more relaxed,it was only their second day but it was all a bit mad.

HBC08 wrote: »
    Went out for food and pints last night,was an interesting experience.
    3 of us out,Mrs ordered a main,I ordered a starter €8 and my friend ordered chips €3.
    The girl took the order but then came back and said we individually have to order more than €9.
    I ordered a second starter bringing my total up to €17 and my mate ordered 3 chips.He explained he didn't want 3 chips and asked if he could pay for 3 and just get the one portion.....No,3 portions arrived down.
    The server also said if we have to go to the toilet to out our hands up!
    I saw a couple of fellas come in on their own and just order drinks.The place was at 20% capacity.
    We were told that the 105 min rule would be enforced but we stayed about 20 mins after.
    All in all it was good to be out and I think if we went into the same place next week it would be more relaxed,it was only their second day but it was all a bit mad.

HAHAHAA please tell me this is a joke? That sounds like either a comedy sketch on this topic at the moment or being back at school. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Biscuitus

If we could adopt Germany's custom and turn all our pubs into beer halls with decent food that would be great. Instead of the Irish way of one meal before drinking followed by 8 pints and if possible a curry or chipper at the end of the night it would do the nation better to eat small while drinking.

HAHAHAA please tell me this is a joke? That sounds like either a comedy sketch on this topic at the moment or being back at school. :pac::pac:

Nope,that was the scenario at the pub/restaurant yesterday evening.

• Advertisement

To be honest if that happens me this evening I'll be leaving. F*ck that.

Nope,that was the scenario at the pub/restaurant yesterday evening.

Unreal. I've been out the last 2 nights meeting friends I've not seen in months and it's been like any other night. Only difference we've to stay at our table and not mix with other tables, only leave when going to the toilet.

If that was the experience you described I wouldn't be going back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Bit groggy today after the few pints last night and my toilet has taken a whallop the likes of which it hasn't seen in months. First place ordered food and a few pints, stayed 3 hours. Headed across the road and just had drinks afterwards, no food ordered and we didn't stay long enough to see if the time limit was enforced but doubtful to be honest. Dublin south city.

Unreal. I've been out the last 2 nights meeting friends I've not seen in months and it's been like any other night. Only difference we've to stay at our table and not mix with other tables, only leave when going to the toilet.

It was only their second day open and all the staff were young wans who were just doing as they'd be told.
    The toilet bit was ridiculous and we just walked over to the jacks whenever we wanted to.
    We were all drinking at a different pace but they managed to keep us all topped up,if it was busier I don't know would this have been the case.

We weren't too bothered as we were happy to be out,like I said I think it'll be more relaxed once they find their feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I actually like the system of one payment at the end. I think it's neater, and one payment of 50e in a bar looks better than 10 transactions of 5e on your bank statement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Mr rebel wrote: »
    Main headline on TV3 news this evening about pubs already flouting rules and they showed that receipt with the €182 for pints of Heineken, next news item was the concern about airports getting busier again.....just constant doom and gloom

On a separate note, the state of lads waiting for the pubs to reopen for 3 months and then binging on Heineken. Had a good laugh at those type of receipts during the week, as you know they're done for show.

Draft Heineken, the drink of lads who don't actually drink all that often.

There might be one or two in a group who'll go on it for a change every so often, but when you've the entire group like that on it you know theyre a shower of spoofers. They'll move onto bottles of Corona once they're a bit older and its seen as socially acceptable

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    On a separate note, the state of lads waiting for the pubs to reopen for 3 months and then binging on Heineken. Had a good laugh at those type of receipts during the week, as you know they're done for show.

There might be one or two in a group who'll go on it for a change every so often, but when you've the entire group like that on it you know theyre a shower of spoofers. They'll move onto bottles of Corona once they're a bit older and its seen as socially acceptable

"Can Oi get a few sticks of Heino-mite please for me and the goysss please bar tender" *chuckles*

Heineken and Carlsberg. You see the same crowd who are absolutely steamed after 3 or 4 pints talking nonsense and falling over themselves.
    Those types of lager are like washing up liquid.

"Can Oi get a few sticks of Heino-mite please for me and the goysss please bar tender" *chuckles*

Heineken and Carlsberg. You see the same crowd who are absolutely steamed after 3 or 4 pints talking nonsense and falling over themselves.

I agree,I was drinking pints of Heineken last night because there wasnt anything else really.

My proper pub local has loads of different beers and has new ones all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

You are a legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I wouldnt fully agree on Carlsberg. If you get an alcoholic who's preference is lager (rare) then it'll often be Carlsberg. Never ever 'Heino'

Not that anyone should be wanting to be like or glorfying the mad bingers or alcoholics. Just don't be running 180 quid tabs in 3 hours on Heineken just for insta show when you'd never ever normally drink in that fashion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I wouldnt fully agree on Carlsberg. If you get an alcoholic who's preference is lager (rare) then it'll often be Carlsberg. Never ever 'Heino'

Not that anyone should be wanting to be like or glorfying the mad bingers or alcoholics. Just don't be running 180 quid tabs in 3 hours on Heineken just for insta show when you'd never ever normally drink in that fashion

I'm intrigued. What drink should people be running up 180 quid tabs with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I'm intrigued. What drink should people be running up 180 quid tabs with?

Craft IPAs and that (most taste too similar)
    Wine (Only get the taste of Vineger,how people get the taste of this and that i dont knw)
    Rare Whiskey/Gin and all that

€180 on a few hours session **** that for a game of cowboys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

you should have ordered chips and him a starter, and then pay for each others. If I did not want to eat I would get something I could easily bring with me.

Wonder if you could get some fermented roasted barley soup, served in a guinness glass. Or a bulmers fruit cocktail
    Beer-Cider-Slam-for-the-win-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Not missing the pub anymore, got ourselves a snug too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Just back from my first pint since the Saturday before the official lockdown. I remember going out that night and getting dogs abuse from people on this forum saying I was essentially killing my family and people I came in close contact with. Over three months later and I don't know anyone who even got the virus nevermind dying from it. Who would have thunk it eh?

Anyway I was a walk-in as opposed to a booking and they had no issue accommodating me. Just had to give my name and number to the staff member on the way in. Seemed to fairly sound on the time limit aspect too, although I wasn't staying too long anyway. My table was reserved at 7PM so I assume I could have stayed until then if I wanted to. Got a BLT and chips from the menu and a few pints.

The restaurant itself appeared to be tipping along nicely which is good to see and everyone was in good spirits and abided to the rules. Apart from one gob****e who was reluctant to give his phone number, couldn't believe he had to order food to go with his pint of cider and was incredulous that there was a time-limit.

Am actually booked in to the local rural pub which is a 10 minute walk away later with the missus, her friend and her friend's boyfriend. They are doing a pizza service but apparently pay no heed to the time-limit provided it isn't too busy. Look forward to it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Apart from one gob****e who was reluctant to give his phone number, couldn't believe he had to order food to go with his pint of cider and was incredulous that there was a time-limit.
    Did anybody break the news to him about the virus going around too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

rubadub wrote:
    Did anybody break the news to him about the virus going around too?

There was one of them in my local the other night.

Fair play to the bar manager. He told him either order a meal or get out. He soon relented.

Always one!!!

There was one of them in my local the other night.

Fair play to the bar manager. He told him either order a meal or get out. He soon relented.

Always one!!!

Same happened this afternoon. I admire the manager's patience. Something you'd take for granted ordinarily.

Walked into a pub near the office a few minutes ago, Dublin South City. No booking but no problem as there are plenty of free tables. Gave the name and number, now I have my Guinness while I wait for my dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I’m not a moan but you’re meant to only share a table with people in your household no? Otherwise how do you social distance?

Or am I an idiot missing the whole thing? Can I go to the pub with a group of mates?

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I’m not a moan but you’re meant to only share a table with people in your household no? Otherwise how do you social distance?

Or am I an idiot missing the whole thing?

Is that the rule? I met a friend last night I hadn't seen in months but it wasn't asked of us if we were from the same household.

Is that the rule? I met a friend last night I hadn't seen in months but it wasn't asked of us if we were from the same household.

Now I’m doubting myself but I thought you still had to social distance. I reckon regardless of the rules everyone is doing it your way.

IT, Indo and the Journal all releasing the same story at the same time about Gardaí doing dpot checks on pubs from 7pm tonight.

The fact it is all coordinated as one press release indicates they are probably relying on the press release to obtain compliance rather than spot checks. Still, while places should be following the guidance strictly in terms of serving food, with table service only, distancing between tables and sanitiser inside and outside the bathroom, hopefully the common sense approach will prevail and a warning is all that will be given. Those taking the complete piss should be given trouble but the ones largely following the guidance should be free to go.

IT, Indo and the Journal all releasing the same story at the same time about Gardaí doing dpot checks on pubs from 7pm tonight.

The fact it is all coordinated as one press release indicates they are probably relying on the press release to obtain compliance rather than spot checks. Still, while places should be following the guidance strictly in terms of serving food, with table service only, distancing between tables and sanitiser inside and outside the bathroom, hopefully the common sense approach will prevail and a warning is all that will be given. Those taking the complete piss should be given trouble but the ones largely following the guidance should be free to go.

I'd love to know how the Gardai even attempt to enforce guidelines that aren't backed up by any laws.

Think the Gardai have better things to be at than visiting all the local pubs.

Show me your receipt there for your substantial meal... imagine

• Advertisement

Now I’m doubting myself but I thought you still had to social distance. I reckon regardless of the rules everyone is doing it your way.

No, you are correct. I didn't realise that was the rule. I'm an "open the pubs" keyboard warrior but now they're open and we can go, I'm happy to do table service only, distance, stick to a time limit if needs be. I would've stuck to that rule had I known. At the same time, we shook hands when we met and only afterwards noticed what we did.

Or am I an idiot missing the whole thing? Can I go to the pub with a group of mates?

Your correct but absolutely nowhere is asking people are they in the same family. They also wouldn't be able to disprove if people are or aren't family.

There's nothing to stop you meeting friends. In the one I was in last night everyone had a meal and was watching the football sticking to their tables

I'd love to know how the Gardai even attempt to enforce guidelines that aren't backed up by any laws.

On the enforcement part of the Journal article, it is evident that there is no legal enforcement possible.

https://www.thejournal.ie/gardai-coronavirus-checks-pubs-5141075-Jul2020/

"Where potential breaches of the Public Health Regulations are identified, and where a person does not come into compliance with the regulations, a file is submitted to the Director of Public Prosecutions for a direction as to how to proceed. "

The paragraph is phrased in a way which makes it look like enforcement will occur but, as you say, there is no law being broken so the DPP won't prosecute because it can't.

Liquor licence renewals by pubs need a Garda opinion with the application however so that threat is essentially good enough enforcement.

Your correct but absolutely nowhere is asking people are they in the same family. They also wouldn't be able to disprove if people are or aren't family.

There's nothing to stop you meeting friends. In the one I was in last night everyone had a meal and was watching the football sticking to their tables

Yeah, I wasn’t saying pubs should ask, I was just afraid I was missing out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

A friend of mine owns a pub.
    Wished he hasn’t opened in the last few nights because he’s been getting abuse from people when he has to tell them to leave because their table is booked. All he gets is “I’ve been drinking here for years and your throwing me out” “il never come back here again”.

Said he has 28 names that he won’t allow book again.

Probably an over reaction because he’s had a few nights And has about 20 tables, majority are probably fine, but it’s the pricks you remember I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Have heard from a very good source of 2 pubs down the country that are serving soup and a drink or a sandwich and a drink as their menu options. Is this in keeping with the rules? I thought it had to be a substantial meal and a drink couldn't be included? Really pisses me off seeing these chances when other publicans are being responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Open up the pubs tf*ck like England are doing and stop this messing about

Its a shambles

Have heard from a very good source of 2 pubs down the country that are serving soup and a drink or a sandwich and a drink as their menu options. Is this in keeping with the rules? I thought it had to be a substantial meal and a drink couldn't be included? Really pisses me off seeing these chances when other publicans are being responsible.

Fair play to them. Impossible to monitor each and every pub in the country. Any man tearing on and forgetting about this nonsense without getting caught is dead right.

Customer comes first, you give people what they want.

Some doctor on his 6 figure salary has no clue about this unfortunately.

To be honest, on the one hand I understand the frustration with these chancers but I also realise that Irish people are remarkably good at actually doing what they're told. Perhaps a cultural hangover from our centuries of servitude! This was evidenced by our crushing or the curve the last few months as people did what was asked of them.

If I understand your post correctly, the issue is whether pubs are serving a substantial meal but they are trying to do a bit of food in order to comply with the guidance, I wouldn't be too bothered by that. It would be a different story if they just a free for all, people on top of each other, shouting at each other to talk and no social distancing.

You'd hope they'd have better things to be doing anyway. Like for instance, the other day one of the cafes in Gorey released CCTV footage of a young lad walking by one of their outside tables with his friend and spitting into a plate of food the waitress was bringing to a customer. They have temporarily put tables outside on the footpath to abide to the new guidelines.

Pubs not abiding by social distancing is a bigger crime sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

depends on the size of the table.

• Advertisement
Advertisement