Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you miss the pub?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0706/1151639-micheal-martin/

we were bold and now he could be taking our 20th July date away from us

Overall not as bad as i thought in regards restrictions. A few of us had dinner yesterday and were under no obligation to leave (but we were getting dirty looks from the staff) but could not find anywhere else to go after. Places saying you must buy a main course to get a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

PTH2009 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0706/1151639-micheal-martin/

we were bold and now he could be taking our 20th July date away from us

Overall not as bad as i thought in regards restrictions. A few of us had dinner yesterday and were under no obligation to leave (but we were getting dirty looks from the staff) but could not find anywhere else to go after. Places saying you must buy a main course to get a drink.

That's just ridiculous, treat everyone like children, they'll base it on case numbers, no significant increase 20th July goes as planned.

Compare this to the Garda commissioner who said vast majority are compliant

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0706/1151582-coronavirus-ireland/

"He said gardaí visited 6,000 licensed premises over the weekend and the vast majority were in compliance.

Asked about scenes of crowds drinking outside pubs in Dublin city centre, he said that was a single incident and was dealt with as a public order situation. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

What's the deal with hotel bars and residents? If I have a meal in the restaurant can I go to the bar after it or are same rules enforced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭showpony1

Went to a large bar on Camden street on Friday night looking for a walk-in table and was told only had it for an hour. Went in had food and once they needed the table they just moved us out to the smoking area to a table where we were free to drink for rest of the night until close around 1am.

Saturday i went to a sports specific bar in City Centre during afternoon who were taking table bookings for each football match - we got there before the match and was made order food and could stay for full match, but approaching full time they were already over looking to settle the bill and saying we had to leave as soon as over as the table was booked for next match.

Wondering how it will be from July 20th - i imagine might be similar enough because you'd assume they'd still be taking bookings for later in the evening so looking for you to leave the table at some point not just book your table for the afternoon and thats you for as long as you like. I was hoping to arrive for the football at 3pm and be able to watch all the matches but i can't see that being the way at moment.

showpony1 wrote: »
    Went to a large bar on Camden street on Friday night looking for a walk-in table and was told only had it for an hour. Went in had food and once they needed the table they just moved us out to the smoking area to a table where we were free to drink for rest of the night until close around 1am.

Saturday i went to a sports specific bar in City Centre during afternoon who were taking table bookings for each football match - we got there before the match and was made order food and could stay for full match, but approaching full time they were already over looking to settle the bill and saying we had to leave as soon as over as the table was booked for next match.

Wondering how it will be from July 20th - i imagine might be similar enough because you'd assume they'd still be taking bookings for later in the evening so looking for you to leave the table at some point not just book your table for the afternoon and thats you for as long as you like. I was hoping to arrive for the football at 3pm and be able to watch all the matches but i can't see that being the way at moment.

There wont be time limits as far as I can tell after 20th July, you might have to book but the time limit only applies when tables aren't 2m apart.

My own experience I watched a few matches out during the week and had no issue staying for them all.

Just book somewhere and tell them how long you want the table for after 20th July. Be in 2 hours, 3 hours whatever.

Everywhere at the moment are operating as restaurant's so its different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

While bars aren't allowed standing room it is going to be an issue. If they don't take reservations people have to travel to the pub only to find out it is full, it they do take them, they either impose time limits or risk giving you the table for the night and you having two pints and leaving. It will probably depend pub by pub.

at least after the 20th you can choose if u want food or not

You be surprised how expensive your night/day can get with food orders. Average price for a meal is €18-€22 if not more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Does anyone know what the system will be like for "drinks only" pubs after 20th, ie can you just rock up and get a table, (I know there will be no sitting at the bar), or must you reserve a seat or what. Thanks.

I presume, but I don't know either that food serving pubs will in general require a reservation at busy times. Just guessing.

Kind of takes the spontaneity out of life, but it's better than nothing I suppose.

Does anyone know what the system will be like for "drinks only" pubs after 20th, ie can you just rock up and get a table, (I know there will be no sitting at the bar), or must you reserve a seat or what. Thanks.

I presume, but I don't know either that food serving pubs will in general require a reservation at busy times. Just guessing.

Kind of takes the spontaneity out of life, but it's better than nothing I suppose.

Probably be like it is now mix of bookings and walk ins.

You'll always find somewhere that's not too busy.

If your making a booking you'll probably have to give the time frame your staying for.

Probably be like it is now mix of bookings and walk ins.

You'll always find somewhere that's not too busy.

If your making a booking you'll probably have to give the time frame your staying for.

Makes sense, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

After seeing what went on in Dublin it is certain we will get a second wave. This may be confined to Dublin and other population centres if managed right. You may have to restrict travel in parts of Dublin ot other cities

saabsaab wrote: »
    After seeing what went on in Dublin it is certain we will get a second wave. This may be confined to Dublin and other population centres if managed right. You may have to restrict travel in parts of Dublin ot other cities

what is the expectation - that people never go out ever again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

what is the expectation - that people never go out ever again?

Not too much to ask people to take care and if they don't their area will be shut down again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

That's just ridiculous, treat everyone like children, they'll base it on case numbers, no significant increase 20th July goes as planned.

Compare this to the Garda commissioner who said vast majority are compliant

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0706/1151582-coronavirus-ireland/

"He said gardaí visited 6,000 licensed premises over the weekend and the vast majority were in compliance.

Asked about scenes of crowds drinking outside pubs in Dublin city centre, he said that was a single incident and was dealt with as a public order situation. "

There are only about 7,000 pubs and id say more than half of them are closed so where on earth does the 6,000 figure come from? Ok so add about 1,000 hotels but still???

PTH2009 wrote: »
    at least after the 20th you can choose if u want food or not

You be surprised how expensive your night/day can get with food orders. Average price for a meal is €18-€22 if not more

Haha I'm the opposite. You'd be surprised how expensive your night is when you don't have a time limit or a bar closing at 10pm :D

Speak Now wrote: »
    What's the deal with hotel bars and residents? If I have a meal in the restaurant can I go to the bar after it or are same rules enforced?

Yeah you can go to the bar if you are a resident and stay as long as you like. Probably have to book a table in the bar after your meal,hotels seemed to be booked up so i advise you to book a table in case they are full. I stayed in a hotel Saturday night. Had dinner in the restaurant. Had booked a table in the bar after it. Got into the bar at 9.10 and didnt leave till 12.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Speak Now wrote: »

A hotel in Killarney had bar closed at 11.30pm even to residents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Definitely going to be a 2nd wave, or is it 3rd wave now at this stage? Did the 2nd wave occur after the mass demonstration involving mostly young people in Dublin 4 weeks ago?

The official HSE figures aren't even accurate so who knows which wave we're in now.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/health/2020/0703/1151127-virus-report/
    https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-19-deaths-ireland-hiqa-5140490-Jul2020/

And if we do have this 2nd of 3rd wave maybe RTE's Primetime can do an expose on how healthy 20 somethings went for a drink one evening and caused the health crisis, I mean we can hardly blame the disasters on how the HSE mis-handled the nursing homes and didn't protect the health workers in them or on the front line in hospitals also?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Definitely going to be a 2nd wave, or is it 3rd wave now at this stage? Did the 2nd wave occur after the mass demonstration inolving mostly young people in Dublin?

The official HSE figures aren't even accurate so who knows which wave we're in now.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/health/2020/0703/1151127-virus-report/
    https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-19-deaths-ireland-hiqa-5140490-Jul2020/

And if we do have this 2nd of 3rd wave maybe RTE's Primetime can do an expose on how healthy 20 somethings went for a drink one evening and caused the health crisis, I mean we can hardly blame the disasters on how the HSE mis-handled the nursing homes and didn't protect the health workers in them or on the front line in hospitals also?

Wonder where the projected next waves happened in places that opened up many weeks before us?

Belgium, Netherlands, Austria, Greece, Spain and so on. Nothing much to report AFAIS. Portugal in fairness is the outlier, but other than that. NADA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Still waiting for the wave of infections after the June Bank Holiday. It's remarkable that the same doom and gloom misery merchants have been found out to be complete ****e talkers and yet they keep turning the wheel of outrage over things that happen, as if there has been any link between social distancing guidance breaking and our covid crisis getting worse. In fact, numbers are going lower and lower, our hospitals are empty with health staff on an easy ride the last few months.

Anyway, pub thread so after 4 days of going to the pub last week (2 times just for food) I've decided to hold off until Thursday evening as there is a football match I want to watch. Can't wait!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I miss the over priced beer 5.70 a pint of ethanol plus additives that dehydrates you and drunken in enough quantities makes you ill.
    I miss the half arsed opinions. The xenophobia.
    Yes I'm a party pooper!

You okay hun?

It's just the truth !

It's just the truth !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Still waiting for the wave of infections after the June Bank Holiday. It's remarkable that the same doom and gloom misery merchants have been found out to be complete ****e talkers and yet they keep turning the wheel of outrage over things that happen, as if there has been any link between social distancing guidance breaking and our covid crisis getting worse. In fact, numbers are going lower and lower, our hospitals are empty with health staff on an easy ride the last few months.

Anyway, pub thread so after 4 days of going to the pub last week (2 times just for food) I've decided to hold off until Thursday evening as there is a football match I want to watch. Can't wait!

Who is playing Thursday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Who is playing Thursday?

United Villa

We all want to watch Everton vs Southampton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

There are only about 7,000 pubs and id say more than half of them are closed so where on earth does the 6,000 figure come from? Ok so add about 1,000 hotels but still???

Where they checking some restaurants as well? There was a tweet from them about shutting one down and to be honest it looked more like a case of a restaurant (if even that) selling drink without a license from the photos.

Where they checking some restaurants as well? There was a tweet from them about shutting one down and to be honest it looked more like a case of a restaurant (if even that) selling drink without a license from the photos.

Saw those photos, had the same thoughts as yourself, sounded like it when they mentioned licence issues in the statement. Sounds like they just hadn't got a licence to sell drink

• Advertisement

In fact, numbers are going lower and lower, our hospitals are empty with health staff on an easy ride the last few months.

The shambles that is the HSE? Defo having a laugh eh? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Who is playing Thursday?

Leeds V Stoke

A viewpoint from England, very relatable to what's going on here:

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    A viewpoint from England, very relatable to what's going on here:

He might be making some valid points but comes off awful smug in that video, hard to watch

The HSE Covid tracker app is now available on the App Store
    https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/covid-tracker-ireland/id1505596721

This if it has large uptake will help massively to pubs opening easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

just putting this outhere when i have seen the split reaction from pubs being shut, from anti pub brigade and thhose who love the pub nightlife, BUT what would peoples reactions be to a complete ban on alchol in rep of ireland? like prohibition in 20s in USA? could people live without alchol? i love goin on piss every sat night , but havent touched a drop since march 7th. havent gone out yet as the set up dosent suit me as i usually go to a few local pubs on my own and run into my mates when there, dont usually plan anything major we kind of just know we will either be in the oub or not , it wouldnt bother me too much if none of my mates were around on a certain sat night, i would just drink away and shoot the breeze with whoever is knocking around. i find it really relaxing. this new scenario has really messed up this type of night for me.

• Advertisement

Who is playing Thursday?

Villa V Utd.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    just putting this outhere when i have seen the split reaction from pubs being shut, from anti pub brigade and thhose who love the pub nightlife, BUT what would peoples reactions be to a complete ban on alchol in rep of ireland? like prohibition in 20s in USA? could people live without alchol? i love goin on piss every sat night , but havent touched a drop since march 7th. havent gone out yet as the set up dosent suit me as i usually go to a few local pubs on my own and run into my mates when there, dont usually plan anything major we kind of just know we will either be in the oub or not , it wouldnt bother me too much if none of my mates were around on a certain sat night, i would just drink away and shoot the breeze with whoever is knocking around. i find it really relaxing. this new scenario has really messed up this type of night for me.

Wouldn’t work, there’s too many vested interests. I’d be like yourself, was last In a pub with herself on the 13th of March. Didn’t touch a drop until the June bank holiday. Like that I’d go to the pub on a Saturday after work to watch whatever match was on with the lads, if they’re not there so be it. Monday night is my night to head to the local have a few pints read the paper and chill at the bar.
    All going well on the 20th of July I’ll order a cold pint of Bud, get the paper and relax, maybe not at the bar but feck it it’ll be good!!

:confused::confused::confused:
    Buh? Why would? You even... I'm so confused. Why would you ask about prohibition and then reference the answer anyone is going to give, i.e the disaster it was in the States. It wouldn't work is my reaction.

He might be making some valid points but comes off awful smug in that video, hard to watch

I think he's trying to be a bit like Ricky Gervais! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭lickalot

Wouldn't mind a ban on spirits to be honest. Know a couple of alcoholics who'd have a 700ml bottle of vodka by lunch time, then onto wine and cans.

They try and go off it for a few days and the days off is sipping cans all days or they'll have convulsions and start shaking uncontrobally.

You don't get that from pints or cans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    A hotel in Killarney had bar closed at 11.30pm even to residents

Our hotel bar was closed at 9.30 for residents but we were allowed order pints to the room. This was in killarney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Prohibition didn't work because in the end people who liked their drink thought it was a stupid law and criminals were more than happy to meet that demand.
    Crime was a problem beforehand but then it went through the roof. Absolutely barking mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

just said i would put it out there, i find it odd how many people dont like the pub but still swig quite a lot of drink at home and put it down to a few glasses of wine with dinner , few bottles at a bar b que etc. the same people would look down on someone having 5 pints 2 or 3 nights a week, while thier polsihing off a half bottle of wine a night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

just said i would put it out there, i find it odd how many people dont like the pub but still swig quite a lot of drink at home and put it down to a few glasses of wine with dinner , few bottles at a bar b que etc. the same people would look down on someone having 5 pints 2 or 3 nights a week, while thier polsihing off a half bottle of wine a night.

It's comical the way they have their wine at home, ooh we are so sophisticated like the French or Italians, while guzzling far more wine than a Continental would, without having it with food, just to get pissed basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭CMCXCV

After visiting the pub since the lockdown restrictions were restricted, think I have to say I didn't miss it as much as I thought I would. I'm not in no rush to head back now again, which for me is rare as before this whole pandemic started, I was in the pub 5 to 6 nights a week without fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

CMCXCV wrote: »
    After visiting the pub since the lockdown restrictions were restricted, think I have to say I didn't miss it as much as I thought I would. I'm not in no rush to head back now again, which for me is rare as before this whole pandemic started, I was in the pub 5 to 6 nights a week without fail.

5-6 nights a week!!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!! Change the record. We've heard this after the street parties of the May Bank Holiday. We heard it after the beaches were packed on the June Bank Holiday. We heard it after thousands marched for BLM in Dublin. We heard it over and over again and yet Covid is pretty much gone from our society. Build a dome or a basement and go live there if you are so worried about it.

I am hoping that if they push back the 20th July restrictions further on pubs it is on the back of evidence of increased cases, not a picture on social media of people standing in the street. But would not be surprised if they did.

I am hoping that if they push back the 20th July restrictions further on pubs it is on the back of evidence of increased cases, not a picture on social media of people standing in the street. But would not be surprised if they did.

I'd be stunned if they did. So far we've moved through each phase and even reduced the plan from 5 to 4.

This is the last stage and really the only difference now is that pubs are all permitted to open and an increase in gatherings indoors/outdoors.

So if Fianna Fail were seen to prevent that transition, causing a clear discrimination against those pubs that were not allowed to open last Monday it would look pretty bad for them. All the talk yesterday was posturing. It would take a big surge that I would be very surprised to see personally in two weeks time for any pushback of phase 4 to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭CMCXCV

5-6 nights a week!!?

Yeah, might be good some weeks and only go 4 nights...

• Advertisement
Advertisement