Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you miss the pub?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

you really have to wonder about micheal martin and ff PR team, theres been nothing but doom and gloom from him since he came to power and all the toxic **** emanating from them this week, christ the PR gurus really need to ramp up the razzmatazz for the offical end of lockdown and give up this whining retoric to people that shhit is not going down well. leo and FG must be absolutley delighted with this. you would imagine micheal would be deleighted to take ownership of the lockdown coming to an offical end and use it as a grandstanding moment. Hard to believe FG are outgunning FF on the spin machine. the elephant in the room we all know is that not closing down our borders and the northern ireland border os what will cause a second wave not 100 people standing on a street in dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'm not against pubs reopening but am against irresponsible and careless behaviour that will cause a second wave and a shut down again. Places that can't should stay shut or be closed down asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

saabsaab wrote: »
    I'm not against pubs reopening but am against irresponsible and careless behaviour that will cause a second wave and a shut down again. Places that can't should stay shut or be closed down asap.

Second wazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Records stuck again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'm not concerned about the pubs being irresponsible, I think most will follow the rules (with the standard Irish leeway). I'm more afraid of the people frequenting them not and closing them again and putting a lot of staff back out of work.

Second wazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Records stuck again.

Says the man who already stated 'The planet is overpopulated. We need something like this, or another world war to thin the herd out. Give the planet some breathing space'

Probably following the same idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Says the man who already stated 'The planet is overpopulated. We need something like this, or another world war to thin the herd out. Give the planet some breathing space'

Probably following the same idea.

I'm not the only one.

The naturalist David Attenborough once said the creature he finds "most extraordinary" is a nine-month-old human baby. But now he believes the planet can’t sustain many more.

In an interview for BBC Newsnight, the 92-year-old British broadcaster said: “In the long run, population growth has to come to an end. There are some reasons for thinking that will happen almost inevitably.

“But it is very alarming at the rate we’re going, and although people will say, ‘In the long run, we are going to stabilize’, they’re going to stabilize - as far as I can see - at a rather higher level than the Earth can really accommodate.”

But the second wazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...............................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭showpony1

the likelyhood that anyone in those pubs has Covid-19 is almost zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

showpony1 wrote: »

How can you say that with any sense of certainty?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

showpony1 wrote: »

You can't back that up with much. Could be some asymptomatic cases going around that could spread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Wonder where the projected next waves happened in places that opened up many weeks before us?

Belgium, Netherlands, Austria, Greece, Spain and so on. Nothing much to report AFAIS. Portugal in fairness is the outlier, but other than that. NADA.
    Some outbreaks in Spain (Calatalonia/Segrià in Lleida, Galicia/A Mariña in Lugo, and in Austria (Linz).
    https://english.elpais.com/spanish_news/2020-07-08/lleida-outbreak-sorely-tests-catalonias-new-plan-against-covid-19.html
    https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-07-06/map-of-new-coronavirus-outbreaks-in-spain-two-comarcas-confined-and-two-buildings-in-quarantine.html
    https://de.euronews.com/2020/07/01/einschrankungen-neuer-covid-19-cluster-in-linz

Belgium, Netherlands, Greece are OK thankfully !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

otnomart wrote: »

Australia has a whole state in lockdown, population of the state 6.6m
    Spain is struggling to get the number under 300. Usually its over 400.
    Number of cases around the world is increasing, so unless we lock our borders, we will be at risk of another outbreak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The thought of everything shutting down again is making me sad, Mental health will suffer for a lot of people

Can see restaurants/gastro pubs getting busier and busier the next 2 weekends and then its going to be very hard keeping people away from pubs when they open on the 20th. This teacher like warning from MM is embarrassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

If the government reduce the VAT rate to 5% what does that mean for the price of pint? Lager here is €4.50 and stout €4.20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Santy2015 wrote:
    If the government reduce the VAT rate to 5% what does that mean for the price of pint? Lager here is €4.50 and stout €4.20

Nothing i would imagine.

But if they do temporarily reduce the rate you'll see when the rate is restored prices will go up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Random comment but wondering if others experienced same. Took day off work yesterday to go out for lunch and a nice few pints. Went in and all starters were 8.70. I said ah I’ll have the prawns and the gosson goes you have to spend nine to get a drink and I said well give me a side of bread and he said he wasn’t allowed to do that. I ended up having Fin prawns with a side of chips that I didn’t even eat. Such a waste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

never_mind wrote: »
    Random comment but wondering if others experienced same. Took day off work yesterday to go out for lunch and a nice few pints. Went in and all starters were 8.70. I said ah I’ll have the prawns and the gosson goes you have to spend nine to get a drink and I said well give me a side of bread and he said he wasn’t allowed to do that. I ended up having Fin prawns with a side of chips that I didn’t even eat. Such a waste

I think just ordering a main is the easiest thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

So they were essentially forcing you to spend a more than the €9 minimum?

So they were essentially forcing you to spend a more than the €9 minimum?

yeah a few places saying 'you must order a main course to get a drink'

Some places will leave you off if you ordered something for €9. I could have a few pints when i ordered a Chowder combo for €9.50 last weekend (place was closed at 7pm) but found it hard to find somewhere on sunday evening without the need for a dinner

Heard of a gastro pub doing a €9 baskeet of finger food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

PTH2009 wrote: »
    yeah a few places saying 'you must order a main course to get a drink'

Some places will leave you off if you ordered something for €9. I could have a few pints when i ordered a Chowder combo for €9.50 last weekend (place was closed at 7pm) but found it hard to find somewhere on sunday evening without the need for a dinner

Heard of a gastro pub doing a €9 baskeet of finger food

Not sure how eating helps you from catching the virus but there you go.

yeah its a ridiculous rule that no other country has implemented

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

yeah its a ridiculous rule that no other country has implemented

Probably says a lot about us as a nation though, that it even needed to be introduced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Halfway house in Dublin yesterday evening, me and girlfriend.

2 pints of Guinness
    scampi & chips €19.95 :eek
    Fish and chips
    Onion rings
    Brownie dessert

€60 on the button

Am I being unreasonable or for a very average middle of the road pub grub is that not absolutely extortionate? It was nice but it was alright like, wouldn’t be setting any restaurant reviews alight.

but it didnt need to be introduced

CBear1993 wrote: »

2 pints of Guinness
    Fish and chips
    Onion rings
    Brownie dessert

€60 on the button

Am I being unreasonable or for a very average middle of the road pub grub is that not absolutely extortionate? It was nice but it was alright like, wouldn’t be setting any restaurant reviews alight.

Shafting customers is an Irish tradition.

2 pints of Guinness
    Fish and chips
    Onion rings
    Brownie dessert

€60 on the button

Jaysus they robbed you there CBear1993. Wouldnt be going back there in a hurry for grub again

Jaysus they robbed you there CBear1993. Wouldnt be going back there in a hurry for grub again

I'll stay away from any big centres for a pint for a while yet. Best go to a quiet pub with my own PPE and a two metre stick to keep my distance.

I'll stay away from any big centres for a pint for a while yet. Best go to a quiet pub with my own PPE and a two metre stick to keep my distance.

Hope you werent serious about the PPE :D

Hope you werent serious about the PPE :D

I'll design my own with a hatch for allowing the pint in.

Maybe like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqEblvTxRD0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

2 pints of Guinness
    Fish and chips
    Onion rings
    Brownie dessert

€60 on the button

Planning on going somewhere tomorrow night and priced up the equivalent came in to just under €53.

I'd say you could probably expect to pay an average of 16 euro for a main (you could of course spend and awful lot more), 5-6 euro for a dessert, 5r for a Guinness and 4 for a side in Dublin. Best off leaving off starters in my view, absolute rip offs.

So it was probably a bit dear but not sure I'd call it extortion. And personally I wouldn't begrudge a business a few quid extra at the moment given the months they've lost but at the same time I can appreciate not wanting them to get long term ideas.

NPHET meeting tomorrow, be interesting to see what they about the 20th of July.
    Surely the ‘wet pubs’ need guidance more then a week out?
    I’ve seen nothing about how they’ll operate and none of the pubs have in my town have said or posted anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Santy2015 wrote: »
    NPHET meeting tomorrow, be interesting to see what they about the 20th of July.
    Surely the ‘wet pubs’ need guidance more then a week out?
    I’ve seen nothing about how they’ll operate and none of the pubs have in my town have said or posted anything.

Based on current numbers there's nothing that should prevent phase 4.

NPHET have said before they don't get involved in the guidelines for each industry, that'll be down to HPSC along with the vintners and Failte Ireland.

Based on current numbers there's nothing that should prevent phase 4.

NPHET have said before they don't get involved in the guidelines for each industry, that'll be down to HPSC along with the vintners and Failte Ireland.
    What guidelines would expect? The 105 min rule to continue and booking? I just can’t see that working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

The thought of everything shutting down again is making me sad, Mental health will suffer for a lot of people

Can see restaurants/gastro pubs getting busier and busier the next 2 weekends and then its going to be very hard keeping people away from pubs when they open on the 20th. This teacher like warning from MM is embarrassing

If it's specifically pubs your worried about, then I don't think you've anything to worry about. Only 160 cases in Waterford in 4 and a half months, if they don't push on businesses will take matters into their own hands.

The government realize that the reason lockdown was effective was the compliance of the public. They know that if the measures they put in place are seen as excessive, they will lose that compliance they depend on and ultimately lose control. That would make it extremely difficult to manage out teams going forward. I would expect a much more targeted approach. The fact that 1 million people have already downloaded the app further demonstrats the public's desire to avoid any further widespread restrictions.

What guidelines would expect? The 105 min rule to continue and booking? I just can’t see that working.

Could be a lot of pub crawls if the 105m rule still exists after the 20th

I'm guessing no late bars with normal operating pub hours

Nah can't see the 105 going on after 20th for "wet pubs", I've been in 3 places since phase 3 started and in none have we been asked to leave after 105. Its a thing suited to restaurants anyway.

Could be a lot of pub crawls if the 105m rule still exists after the 20th

I'm guessing no late bars with normal operating pub hours

There'll be a fair few of them anyway with the food requirement gone.

Well seeing as bars will be able to operate on their licence which in some cases might include a late licence can't see why they won't be allowed to remain open. So long as they're restricting capacity and follwing whatever the guidelines are.

Big enough bar near me is open at the moment, kitchen closes 10pm but from this week to remain open to 12.30 they're basically putting out party platters on the tables to satisfy the food requirement from 10pm onwards.
    After 20th July they're going back to kitchen closing 10pm and late bar Thursday - Sunday, 2am Thursday & Sunday, 2.30am Friday & Sat.

They've a nightclub too but that won't be opening at all for months to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!! Change the record. We've heard this after the street parties of the May Bank Holiday. We heard it after the beaches were packed on the June Bank Holiday. We heard it after thousands marched for BLM in Dublin. We heard it over and over again and yet Covid is pretty much gone from our society. Build a dome or a basement and go live there if you are so worried about it.

Well folks,
    the whole Covid 19 thing is over now,confirmed by Weldoninhio on boards.ie "Covid is pretty much gone from our society"

Thank feic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

:rolleyes:

Absolutely no one has said that eating prevents you from catching the virus. No one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

The problem is it can't but also, no bookings or time limit mean regulars especially those that come down late will probably be turned away cause you are full and you have no way of guaranteeing someone a table. Imagine getting ready to go out, calling a taxi and heading down to the pub to get turned away and either have to go pub to pub looking for someone to let you in (if there are other nearby pubs) or go home. Next night you won't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just a wild guess, but there will be no propping up the bar, no standing, no mingling between tables, one in one out to the toilets, no live music or loud background tv since we are told that raised voices spread the droplets. Indoor setting, no windows to open etc.etc.

Will last for a fortnight or so.

I'd have no problem sitting in a beer garden even if it was damp and dreary outside if there was decent awning and heaters, you know like they do elsewhere in Northern Europe. Was in Maastricht in December a few years back and few were indoors, most were out on the seats outside. But they were set up for it with everything to make it a comfortable experience. Great for people watching. Anyway we'll see.

a local bar here has live music friday and sat night of the first weekend

Just a wild guess, but there will be no propping up the bar, no standing, no mingling between tables, one in one out to the toilets, no live music or loud background tv since we are told that raised voices spread the droplets. Indoor setting, no windows to open etc.etc.

Will last for a fortnight or so.

I'd have no problem sitting in a beer garden even if it was damp and dreary outside if there was decent awning and heaters, you know like they do elsewhere in Northern Europe. Was in Maastricht in December a few years back and few were indoors, most were out on the seats outside. But they were set up for it with everything to make it a comfortable experience. Great for people watching. Anyway we'll see.

ill just be happy to able to go into a pub/bar and order a drink, at this point i done give a fiddlers if i have too sit at a table.

After the 20th its More freedom to decide what you want and can visit how many places you want. A challenge will be finding somewhere that is not full but the guidelines haven't been released yet. Hotel bars are your best bet for a semi quite night but depends on whats on there etc

be some craic if mick martin keeps pubs shut til well into August

Dickie10 wrote: »
    be some craic if mick martin keeps pubs shut til well into August

Wouldn't put it past him

if FF have any sense he wont, its been doom and gloom from him since he got power. no victory speech , if it were Leo he would be addresssing the nation next friday and proclaiminng victory

• Advertisement

El Weirdo wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Absolutely no one has said that eating prevents you from catching the virus. No one.

It’s being used as another reason to cash in. The €9 will end up as a blanket cover charge in years to come as they won’t want to let go of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It’s being used as another reason to cash in. The €9 will end up as a blanket cover charge in years to come as they won’t want to let go of it.

Guarantee you it won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

More absolute bollocks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Dickie10 wrote: »
    a local bar here has live music friday and sat night of the first weekend

ain't no guidelines saying you can;t have live music

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

ah get a grip

• Advertisement
Advertisement