Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you miss the pub?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

It’s being used as another reason to cash in. The €9 will end up as a blanket cover charge in years to come as they won’t want to let go of it.

Pubs haven't opened yet. Restaurants have. If, once pubs open, some choose to continue operating as restaurants, good luck to them. But there will always be boozers. I think you've misunderstood this substantial meal situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Dickie10 wrote: »
    be some craic if mick martin keeps pubs shut til well into August

There are two chances of that; none and none. Literally zero chance. Not just based on our low numbers but also on the fact there is a push to get people to holiday in Ireland which won't work at all if pubs can't open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Newsagents and food shops were allowed to open before restaurants. If there were loads of rural pubs which doubled up as a newsagents or selling food and owners said "we want to open up like the newsagents". Then they would presumably have to abide by the laws around newsagents and not serve alcohol. I wonder if we still would have got people feigning ignorance (or worse, really being that stupid) and asking "but why can't I drink, that's a stupid rule"
    It’s being used as another reason to cash in. The €9 will end up as a blanket cover charge in years to come as they won’t want to let go of it.
    So are you saying if you owned a pub you would do this?

Because if you admit you would not I have a sneaky suspicion that 1 or 2 others might not too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Enjoy the drinks this weekend boardsies cause Mr Martin is very worried and is strongly considering delaying phase 4

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/taoiseach-phase-four-re-opening-may-be-delayed-over-fears-around-gatherings-and-house-parties-1010544.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Enjoy the drinks this weekend boardsies cause Mr Martin is very worried and is strongly considering delaying phase 4

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/taoiseach-phase-four-re-opening-may-be-delayed-over-fears-around-gatherings-and-house-parties-1010544.html

Doesn’t that mean that the pubs would still remain open just under the same restrictions so we can still have drinks just with food.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Voltairey

What are the pubs like tonight out around the place does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

fin12 wrote: »
    Doesn’t that mean that the pubs would still remain open just under the same restrictions so we can still have drinks just with food.

Suppose so

The Virus respects the minimum €9 meal rule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

hope the muppets out and about grow a few brain cells and don't ruin it for the majority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Suppose so

The Virus respects the minimum €9 meal rule

It was more u saying enjoy your drinks as if the pubs were going to completely shut again.

I get eating food obviously won’t stop u getting the virus but I’d rather attend a pub under these rules than not be able to attend them at all. Have been out twice since and had really nice time, was allowed stay well over the allocated time so can’t complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Pubs as we knew them won't be the same again for a long while. Will give it a try midweek and see, but am not hopeful.

As a matter of interest what is the story with the MUP? lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Was going to go to Kilmurry Lodge Hotel to watch the second half of the Spurs match. Woman on the door said I'll have to buy €9 worth of food in conjunction with my first drink. She wasn't amused when I said there is eating and drinking in pints of stout.

After watching the match online, it was better to not be in the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Highly doubt that'll happen. There'll be murder with the associations if it did, if they think last weekend was flouted wait until the 20th, every pub doing soup and a sandwich.

Its a warning for this weekend I'd say for nobody to act up. The numbers just don't support keeping anything closed at the moment.

As if the virus knows if I've had €9 worth of food

votecounts wrote: »
    hope the muppets out and about grow a few brain cells and don't ruin it for the majority

The muppets who drank cans on the street that didn't come from pubs?
    Current case numbers are linked to clusters relating to travel and residential homes.

Theres no clusters linked to pubs or restaurants since they opened. The numbers don't back a continued closure. Not sure what pubs have to do with the numbers at the moment as there isn't cases linked to them.

We did 6000 more tests today than 2 weeks ago and found only 10 more cases than this day 2 weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Current case numbers are linked to clusters relating to travel and residential homes.

Theres no clusters linked to pubs or restaurants since they opened. The numbers don't back a continued closure. Not sure what pubs have to do with the numbers at the moment as there isn't cases linked to them.

We did 6000 more tests today than 2 weeks ago and found only 10 more cases than this day 2 weeks ago

Right but doesn't virtually all the science indicate that the muppets drinking in the street were in fact safer than the people drinking indoors?

AdamD wrote: »
    Right but doesn't virtually all the science indicate that the muppets drinking in the street were in fact safer than the people drinking indoors?

Oh I agree with you. Was addressing the other posters comment calling them muppets.
    They were outdoor, very little risk, the canal for example was packed with people drinking when the weather was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

El Weirdo wrote: »
    More absolute bollocks.

Oh F off. I know no one is saying that. What isn’t clear is WHY the policy is there. Wise ar$e

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

10 more sleeps.

never_mind wrote: »
    Oh F off. I know no one is saying that. What isn’t clear is WHY the policy is there. Wise ar$e
    It is very clear to me, a child could figure it out. Sick to death explaining it when most of these ignorant cnuts can answer it themselves if they bothered their hole to think about it.

-Why do you think there has been the meal rule for restaurants for so long? There is nothing new about it.

And why do you think this is in law?
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/alcohol_and_the_law.html
    Children (anyone under the age of 18) are only allowed in licensed premises if they are with a parent or guardian, but this provision carries certain restrictions. For example, if accompanied by a parent/guardian, the child may remain on the premises between the hours of 10:30am - 9pm (until 10pm from May to September) unless the licence holder feels this is injurious to the child's health, safety and welfare. Children aged between 15 and 17 years may remain on the premises after 9pm where they are attending a private function at which a substantial meal is served. All licensed premises must display a sign to this effect in a prominent place at all times and failure to do so can result in a fine.

Meeting of lva tomorrow morning to basically form a plan against any plan not to reopen pubs on 20th

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Meeting of lva tomorrow morning to basically form a plan against any plan not to reopen pubs on 20th

sunday mass ? do they think they are gods now :eek:

rubadub wrote: »
    It is very clear to me, a child could figure it out. Sick to death explaining it when most of these ignorant cnuts can answer it themselves if they bothered their hole to think about it.

-Why do you think there has been the meal rule for restaurants for so long? There is nothing new about it.

And why do you think this is in law?
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/alcohol_and_the_law.html

*eyeroll*

I’m out if this thread. Slán.

sunday mass ? do they think they are gods now :eek:

Well Saturday morning but you know what I mean.

Gods Gift wrote: »
    10 more sleeps.

I think you’re going to be disappointed on that one.. Hopefully anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I think you’re going to be disappointed on that one.. Hopefully anyway.

Owl Surprised GIF - Owl Surprised Shocked - Discover & Share GIFs
    https://images.app.goo.gl/4ru46LYLrZCa8sTd7

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Owl Surprised GIF - Owl Surprised Shocked - Discover & Share GIFs
    https://images.app.goo.gl/4ru46LYLrZCa8sTd7

tenor.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Also it should be acknowledged by nphet that case numbers are so low across the country that false positives can make up a large proportion of the total new cases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

AdamD wrote: »

How does someone maintaining social distancing indoors compare with someone that isn't but is outdoors? Surely someone standing right beside you in an outdoor setting is more of a risk.

never_mind wrote: »
    *eyeroll*

I’m out if this thread. Slán.
    hahaha, you finally copped on, well done, don't worry lots of slow gobshites out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

I don't think there is any chance they won't go ahead with Phase 4 unless they can specifically link spikes to currently open pubs.

I have been in the pub twice in last 2 weeks, both times a large pub in a Dublin suburb.

Table of lads, got offered menus when we went in, no mention of food after that, we didn't have any. Stayed there drinking for 5/6 hours until we were full and left.

Place was very full although groups kept to themselves so it was fine. Could count on fingers of one hand the amount of meals served in the time I was there. Absolutely no time limits imposed on anyone. This seems to be the experience of most of the people I know that are going to pubs.

Pointless not going ahead with Phase 4, all that will happen is that gastro-pubs will be more packed than they would normally be, paying the bare minimum lip service to the regulations, and certain owners will make money at the expense of others.

Hearing LVA is being told this weekend is key. If theres no repeat of the compliance issues of the 20 odd pubs then they're hopeful of going ahead as planned on 20th.

Everyone been given a kick up the arse to make sure they're in compliance.

• Advertisement

I think the message has been heard, the kick up the arse not to delay phase 4
    https://twitter.com/AbiePB/status/1281719851216666626?s=19

rubadub wrote: »
    hahaha, you finally copped on, well done, don't worry lots of slow gobshites out there.

Grow up. Buying a 9 euro meal and then lashing 6 pints into you is going to have a similar outcome in the end. I also saw a lot of people setting aside their 9 euro meals and just drinking.

But by all means, if belittling people online makes you feel as though you have a larger d!ck than you do, go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Jackman25 wrote: »
    I don't think there is any chance they won't go ahead with Phase 4 unless they can specifically link spikes to currently open pubs.

I have been in the pub twice in last 2 weeks, both times a large pub in a Dublin suburb.

Table of lads, got offered menus when we went in, no mention of food after that, we didn't have any. Stayed there drinking for 5/6 hours until we were full and left.

Place was very full although groups kept to themselves so it was fine. Could count on fingers of one hand the amount of meals served in the time I was there. Absolutely no time limits imposed on anyone. This seems to be the experience of most of the people I know that are going to pubs.

Pointless not going ahead with Phase 4, all that will happen is that gastro-pubs will be more packed than they would normally be, paying the bare minimum lip service to the regulations, and certain owners will make money at the expense of others.

If you're paying chefs and wait staff but can give up a table to people who don't even bother to order food and let them keep it for 6 hours it doesn't sound like your gastro pub is doing all that great reopening.
    Also places like that are extremely selfish. You say pointless not to go ahead with phase 4 as it only allows gastro pubs like that one, which would clearly struggle if all pubs were open if it only served < 5 meals in 6 hours to a busy crowd, to keep more customers but it is exactly pubs like that flaunting the rules that could end up pushing phase 4 back and ruining other businesses and staff's livelihoods in the industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

Certain pubs are taking the piss about the time limit rule.I have a cousin who booked into his local for a meal and pints.Near to when his time was up,the wait staff took his old receipt and replaced it with a new one with a new time stamp.He said he stayed at least 4 hours.At which at that point I processed to tell him how much of a cnut he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Anything going on in Dublin/Cork/Galway/Limerick city centres tonight?
    No repeat of last week?
    I haven’t had a proper pint since the 12th of March!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Santy2015 wrote: »
    No repeat of last week?

Temple Bar looks as dead as it has done for the past 4 months..

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

At which at that point I processed to tell him how much of a cnut he was.

Why?

Why?

Presumably because his cousin is a cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Presumably because his cousin is a cnut.

For being in a pub for 4 hours?

For being in a pub for 4 hours?

He’s not meant to be in a pub for 4 hours.

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Temple Bar looks as dead as it has done for the past 4 months..

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar

Remember at the beginning of the lockdown when people were lambasting the Temple Bar idiots for crowding there and drinking? None of these shaming calls noted that Temple Bar is mainly tourists and not Irish people. Temple Bar is quiet now because Irish people don't drink there, it shows there aren't any tourists around as well. It's extremely troubling to see the country so dead.

He’s not meant to be in a pub for 4 hours.

I think you should've said what you said to your cousin into the mirror as it would've been more appropriately directed!

Santy2015 wrote: »
    No repeat of last week?

Nope not in the hotspots in Dublin mentioned last weekend.

Dame Lane empty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Maybe there'll be a big surge on account of pubs yet but I think to be honest it's bad form a single industry is being singled out and shamed without any evidence provided of it contributing to previous rise in cases here or indeed any minimal rise this week either.

Meanwhile house parties are condemned yet nothing actually done about them. And keeping pubs closed is hardly going to discourage them, in fact it would do the opposite. No other country has shamed publicans or the people who frequent them like has been done here these past few weeks in particular.

Maybe there'll be a big surge on account of pubs yet but I think to be honest it's bad form a single industry is being singled out and shamed without any evidence provided of it contributing to previous rise in cases here or indeed any minimal rise this week either.

Meanwhile house parties are condemned yet nothing actually done about them. And keeping pubs closed is hardly going to discourage them, in fact it would do the opposite. No other country has shamed publicans or the people who frequent them like has been done here these past few weeks in particular.

Hmmm I’d disagree. Kids these days prefer house parties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i think its been shocking the way the pub industry is being blamed and shamed for 1 isolated incident last week. as i have said before i havent had a drink since march 7th. the hotel/food pub drinking dosent suit me great to be honest. as i said i like to just ramble into a few local pubs and meet up or not as case might be with aquantinces and friends. i wouldnt go out and plan a night of ffod and drinks where we sit at a table, i like to dip in and out of conversation with different people i know/friends/aquaintinces. the first few weeks i found very tough as i live alone and was off work as well, i was religous about goiing to the pub on saturday nights and the odd sunday evening. i have been counting the weeks down and to be honest the last month has been tough again. i think it would be a disgrace to try to keep pubs shut while the place is invaded by brits and yanks with no controls. i think the stattegy needs to be over 60s cocoon and those who are vulnerable. but should be choice involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i think its been shocking the way the pub industry is being blamed and shamed for 1 isolated incident last week. as i have said before i havent had a drink since march 7th. the hotel/food pub drinking dosent suit me great to be honest. as i said i like to just ramble into a few local pubs and meet up or not as case might be with aquantinces and friends. i wouldnt go out and plan a night of ffod and drinks where we sit at a table, i like to dip in and out of conversation with different people i know/friends/aquaintinces. the first few weeks i found very tough as i live alone and was off work as well, i was religous about goiing to the pub on saturday nights and the odd sunday evening. i have been counting the weeks down and to be honest the last month has been tough again. i think it would be a disgrace to try to keep pubs shut while the place is invaded by brits and yanks with no controls. i think the stattegy needs to be over 60s cocoon and those who are vulnerable. but should be choice involved.

Totally agree with you. We can’t keep going the way we’re going. Loved coming home from work on a Saturday, quick bite to eat, shower, get ready and walk the 15 mins to my local to watch the 5.30 match on tele and enjoy my few pints, herself collects me, usually with the takeaway for dinner a few hours later, glass of wine and bed.
    Then it’s a Monday night stroll into town to call to a few pubs and relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Sorry, we've been on the west coast for last two weeks
    Not a yank or other foreign tourist to be seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If you think the place is going to be flooded with yanks you’re dreaming. They simply aren’t coming this year. I think any pubs that aren’t open now won’t be opening. Sad times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Certain pubs are taking the piss about the time limit rule.I have a cousin who booked into his local for a meal and pints.Near to when his time was up,the wait staff took his old receipt and replaced it with a new one with a new time stamp.He said he stayed at least 4 hours.At which at that point I processed to tell him how much of a cnut he was.

Hes a **** for staying 4 hours? Genuinely what difference does it make whether hes there 105 minutes or 4 hours? These are arbitrary rules with no basis in science and people are lapping it up. Any excuse to curtain twitch I suppose

Advertisement