Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you miss the pub?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I think that will happen with loads of things. Once there is no more eastenders or corrie people will get out of the habit of watching them. I'd be very surprised if lots of people see them for the first time in a few months and realise it's nonsense and they were only watching it because they always watched it. I'd bet lots of people never go back to watching them.

And the same with the pub. Once people have to find things they actually enjoy doing, I'd say lots of people will continue to to the things they find they enjoy instead of just going back to going to the pub be default.

You realise people are on lockdown and not out finding new hobbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Honestly I swear people are on this just to vent their frustrations over petty and ridiculous things.

A hobby can be carved out at home; reading, drawing, running, board games etc. Leave it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,602 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Reading, dance classes, yoga, exercise, chess, movies, etc etc.

Leroy42 wrote: »

Riveting.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

In the food forum loads are baking, I have baked bread in the past but tried a new very simple method and will continue.

https://twitter.com/qikipedia/status/1246694057885106176

People are looking up how to replicate burgers from gourmet burger places.

I have been cutting my own hair since I was 15 or 16, and I see an increase in that too. A "blade 3 all over" is very easy to do, and in forums I see people asking what clippers/razor to get. I reckon they will continue to cut their own afterwards, esp. as a shaved head is so acceptable these days and there is very little skill to it. I know plenty of friends who already do their own and amazed some still go to barbers for this simple cut.

People are using video chats for "virtual pissups" and I expect that will continue to some degree. I rarely see a lot of my old friends in pubs as they are living far away and have families.

If you checked around various forums I bet you would find loads of people taking up things.
    Checking the "beauty" forum there is discussions going on, presumably dying, trimming hair, makeup etc.

In the fitness forum people are buying equipment to workout at home.

I feel sorry for some businesses as I reckon some in particular might see a significant fall off when this ends, esp. if people have invested money in things to do themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,899 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Riveting.

A skilled occupation but with limited opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

I tried paintball, never again, house destroyed.

elperello wrote: »

You’d be surprised.

You’d be surprised.

Not as much as I was when the pubs closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

haha, beaten to it, but seriously many people will be studying up on things at home for their job, part of working from home. As an engineer I would be looking up stuff like that.

If the boss sees it is worthwhile I reckon they will encourage a dedicated time for people to research stuff online when we go back to working in the office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Not at all. Decided to go teetotal for this time I'm spending away from friends and can't see myself drinking anytime in the future. Waste of money

It’s definitely going to be a war against the non drinkers. I hope we’re ready.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    do you really think we will all immediately return to confined, close contact environments that quickly after restrictions are eventually relaxed? Until there is a vacine I believe most people will coninute to live life very cautiously.

This is the unknown unknown of the whole situation regarding pubs, restaurants etc.

I think people will balance their need for social contact with their fear of the virus and make personal decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

All were available prior to the virus. Doubt anyone on lockdown is attending dance or yoga classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

All were available prior to the virus. Doubt anyone on lockdown is attending dance or yoga classes.

I've done both for the first time whilst on lockdown. The Mrs and I were learning salsa the other night with Oti Mabuse from Strictly Come Dancing.

If I came out of a couple of months in lock down without any new skills or interests, I'd be furious with myself for wasting the time. You might not be doing anything new, but loads of people are trying new things.

They are available online, or so my staff tell me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,602 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Of course, but people have now been forced out of old habits. That is the point.

How will people that have lived without the pub being a central part of their week for 2 months or more react?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Billy Connolly was a riveter. Pretty ****e at it to listen to the man himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Riveting.

These are short term flights of fancies til we can go at it hard again.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'd sit down and listen to the worst singer in Ireland if it means I'm in the pub

Really missing it and fed up of cans/bottles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

rubadub wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/qikipedia/status/1246694057885106176

People are looking up how to replicate burgers from gourmet burger places.
    Don't know whether people like Eddie Rockets burgers but I have found that salad cream makes a good approximation of their burger sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i have drank almost every weekend usually on a saturday night but sometimes sunday as well since i was 19, i would usually miss maybe 4-5 weekends in the year with farming commitments. Im 36 now , i really miss it, purely social. but the first few weeks i missed the alchol taste. i never drink at home just dont see the point. so i havent touched a drink since march 7th the last saturday night i was out. i really loved the routine of going out miss it bad. its gotten that bad i actually have had two dreams on two nights the last week that the lockdown was over and pubs were opened now thats crazy they seemed so real i was full sure then i woke up , vey realistic dreams though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭6541

I miss da pub lots! Tà bròn orm. Will we ever see the pub again ? I think things have utterly changed with this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

6541 wrote: »
    I miss da pub lots! Tà bròn orm. Will we ever see the pub again ? I think things have utterly changed with this crap.

They wont change that much

Ques the morning they open up again, people going in day and night. Lads/lasses will still be sniffing ****e up there noises on dirty toilet surfaces

Lots of laughter about 'how u did during the lockdown' and 'shur luck you only life once'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Don't know whether people like Eddie Rockets burgers but I have found that salad cream makes a good approximation of their burger sauce.

Equal amounts of salad cream and heavy mayonnaise with a tiny amount of dijon mustard.

You're welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Had a few cans of Murphy's stout yesterday evening, first time drinking Murphy's, it was very good nicer than the can of Guinness I think. Good head on it as well, it's all about the good head lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye, Murphy's is a great pint alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

if the pubs dont open i dont think ill bother drinking at all. havent drank since march 7th during lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I'd sit down and listen to the worst singer in Ireland if it means I'm in the pub

Really missing it and fed up of cans/bottles

Yep, I`m with you there, and to think I ever moaned at the guy who owned our local. I would gladly listed to crap hi diddly hi music these days so long as there was a pint

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Absolutely ridiculous post. Since lockdown I've started playing guitar, upskilling for my job and doing some yoga which is working wonders for my back. In crisis there is opportunity, might aswell turn a negative into a positive. The constant negativity from some posters is draining.

Advertisement