Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you miss the pub?

1656667686971»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭vafankillar

sasta le wrote: »
    House Parties were rocking last weekend with bank holiday and tonight will be lots of fancy dress parties

why did you quote me to say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

why did you quote me to say that?

What kind of a question is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Hello. I can provide some insight into this discussion and the likely medium term future of the public house sector. It is consistent with the 'quiet' observation on this thread in general.

The experience since February this year, both in Ireland and amongst our European partners, and that collective knowledge is hugely important to us during this pandemic, has informed us greatly on the levers available for its control and suppression.

We have seen that it is not possible to open up many sectors of society to the levels we had hoped for in May and June, and that this leads to a cyclic opening-lockdown process which is very disruptive in many ways. Essentially we are faced with repeating this cycle over the coming 12-18 months, or, armed now with a greater understanding of managing the cycle, to aim for stability.

Unfortunately for many, the pub sector included for example, this means a steady state of something along the lines of (details will be refined during the coming months to avoid a repetition of the excessive relaxation of restriction of last summer) a permanent Level 3 as described in Ireland, and similar in other European countries. And that pub closures until at least the end of 2021 would be the most likely reasonable scenario. The rest of society will have to support this sector however, and this will be possible and economically sustainable through the greater certainty, clarity, and sustained business activity in other sectors. State assistance will then also be provided to the pub sector to reopen, and resume it former level, when the time comes for that to be possible.

Full of scheizze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's like living in Iran or Saudi Arabia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

It's like living in Iran or Saudi Arabia

North Korea I was thinking, with the political corrupt tv stations here. Your man Tony is our Kim John Un.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

With all the sport on today and the crap weather it'd be a savage day for the pub. Grab a seat by the fire in my local and kick back with a few pints watching the matches. Balls.

SeaFields wrote: »
    With all the sport on today and the crap weather it'd be a savage day for the pub. Grab a seat by the fire in my local and kick back with a few pints watching the matches. Balls.

There’s prob some pubs with a tv outside on the wall and a tent set up 100 meters from the entrance. There’s a hotel near where I live and they still have the tents up and serving people, Guards don’t give a sh*t as the station is just at the back of the hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

fin12 wrote: »
    There’s prob some pubs with a tv outside on the wall and a tent set up 100 meters from the entrance. There’s a hotel near where I live and they still have the tents up and serving people, Guards don’t give a sh*t as the station is just at the back of the hotel.

It's just a sad state of affairs that we have to go to such extremes to get a few pints!

It’s an even sadder state that they wouldn’t stay at home like they’re supposed to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Drifter50 wrote: »
    This forum has gone very quiet !!!! Is there no optimism out there to see a Christmas opening of the pubs for the month of December. The gubberment will see a major reduction in revenue for that in 2020.
    The way the gov't is handling things St Patricks is looking doubtful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Christmas this year will be a quiet affair. I haven't been in a pub except for a meal and a pint since August. I do miss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

****ing missing it dearly tonight

Waterford after winning in the hurling and then the rugby on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭vafankillar

loads of places in dublin city doing take away pints. it's actual comical. obviously the vast majority are just walking/standing around drinking the pints not bringing them home lol. why are they letting this happen? there was quite a few today even with the rain and i can see if cases go down again by next weekend there'll be enough somewhere for more social media video outrage and faux surprise from politicians even tho they are letting them do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

How do take away pints work? Are they in plastic glasses and do people just stand outside the pub or walk around and then go back in for another? It does sound a bit comical. Would you not be better off with a few cans if you have to drink outside anyway. Can you go in to use the toilets? Do they do take away hot whiskeys?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yester wrote: »
    How do take away pints work? Are they in plastic glasses and do people just stand outside the pub or walk around and then go back in for another? It does sound a bit comical. Would you not be better off with a few cans if you have to drink outside anyway. Can you go in to use the toilets? Do they do take away hot whiskeys?

Same thought. Isn't it illegal to drink on the street, by local byelaws? It is in Cork anyway. Maybe not Dublin.

I can understand stout, needs to be draught, but I've seen people buy takeaway Heineken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

fin12 wrote: »
    North Korea I was thinking, with the political corrupt tv stations here. Your man Tony is our Kim John Un.

Tony holo-un

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

They give them to you in a plastic pint glass with a top. Most people I know go home with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Same thought. Isn't it illegal to drink on the street, by local byelaws? It is in Cork anyway. Maybe not Dublin.

I can understand stout, needs to be draught, but I've seen people buy takeaway Heineken.

It is in Dun Laoghaire anyway, guards were moving people on around the seafront last weekend, huge queues for one pub, was closed at one point to let crowds disperse

Ya and the coffees are just in takeaway coffee cups, it’s actually quite nice getting a takeaway baileys coffee, most of the people seem to only get the one drink and leave.

Don’t know what all the fuss is about, it’s pretty much the same as going to a coffee shop and getting a takeaway coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Stumbled across a pub nearby doing takeaway pints on Saturday. Jesus, lads, it was some pint of Guinness. The taste had me back to sitting by a fire in a cosy pub in winter. Unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 shazaam

It's obviously more relevant to stout drinkers, I can't see any good reason to pay over the odds for a takeaway pint instead of getting a few bottles at the offy/supermarket.

** Edit: I should qualify that by saying - I don't see the reason from a beer drinking point of view. From a "supporting struggling local pubs and other businesses" point of view - it's a sound thing to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Mustn't be in Dublin or else Temple Bar would be shut down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Plastic pint glasses. It's about supportign your local. I try to get a few pints from mine every weekend. Could be the difference between having a local and not the way things are going. One of my locals will let you use the jacks if you need to.

Advertisement