Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you miss the pub?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

People can still call a GP for real things that may be cancerous or similar, but if someone is “depressed” because they’re bored of what’s on Netflix or can’t go to the pub then all they need is a good kick in the hole.

call a gp for a cancer diagnosis over the phone is it?

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    call a gp for a cancer diagnosis over the phone is it?

Did it ever work like that?

Did it ever work like that?

Thats what you suggested, hospitals have paused cervical cancer screening because of covid and gps have said people are not visiting them for diagnosis again by the media driven hysteria.

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Thats what you suggested, hospitals have paused cervical cancer screening because of covid and gps have said people are not visiting them for diagnosis again by the media driven hysteria.

Don’t even ring then sure. Handier to complain in the basis that you didn’t think they’d do anything.

Don’t even ring then sure. Handier to complain in the basis that you didn’t think they’d do anything.

Yeah that made sense to you maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

and that's why pubs will stay closed, the government and health officials will think this will happen in every pub

I wonder did they have a meal that cost a min €9 at that party

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

PTH2009 wrote: »
    and that's why pubs will stay closed, the government and health officials will think this will happen in every pub

I wonder did they have a meal that cost a min €9 at that party

It happened without a pub open and will happen again, in a pub there can be enforced distancing, not in a house.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm out for dinner in the local

Owner is 100% convinced non food pubs reopening is going to be pushed out past the August bank holiday

Judging by varadkars comments in past hour pubs will re-open monday.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/phase-four-leo-varadkar-5150164-Jul2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I guess you have forgotten the low infection rates, the numbers of times there's no one passing away from Covid, and again today!
    That there's no community transmission, that the Gardai hadn't had to use the emergency Covid powers to any great level. That in the first few days 1 million+ people had downloaded the Covid tracing app...
    That almost all commuters on public transport are using face coverings...

But yea, go ahead and say Irish people aren't that responsible!! :rolleyes:

Regularly saw people in common areas of my apartment block at the height of lockdown having drinks with people who didn't live there. Could hear parties
    nearby going on until 4am. Andecdotal evidence from people I know is similar.

Usually passed through some parks while walking within my 2km limit, jammed full of people sitting around, many having drinks or picnics, especially Easter weekend and May bank holiday. During a time when the only reason anyone was supposed to be out was for shopping or exercise.

Plenty of pubs around 6 or 7 weeks ago that were serving "takeaway" pints (sometimes in actual pint glasses) to large groups of people standing just outside the pub, who were bringing them back for refills.
    Plenty of pubs in the last couple of weeks not following the restrictions and jammed with hammered people. 20+ pubs being referred to the DPP

Not to mention the fact that at a time when outdoor gatherings were limited to 4 people, and funerals to 10, four thousand geniuses decided it would be a great idea to have protest march through the city centre.

I haven't been on public transport since fines and jail terms were introduced, but on the few occasions I was over the last couple of weeks at least 80% of people were not wearing masks.

Downloading the Covid tracing app is meaningless unless people actually use it. Daily use figures are the only ones that matter. I downloaded it and it won't work on my phone. I also find the figures a bit suspect - they were claiming something like half a million when the Android figure was between 50k and 100k, must be a lot more "responsible" people on iPhones.

And then there's the gang who headed from around the country down to Kerry for a house party, plus the people identified as close contacts of a confrimed case who are refusing to be tested.

But yeah, live in your little imaginary bubble where everyone in Ireland is a responsible saint. I wish I could. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

MOH wrote: »
    Regularly saw people in common areas of my apartment block at the height of lockdown having drinks with people who didn't live there. Could hear parties nearby going on until 4am. Andecdotal evidence from people I know is similar.Usually passed through some parks while walking within my 2km limit, jammed full of people sitting around, many having drinks or picnics, especially Easter weekend and May bank holiday. During a time when the only reason anyone was supposed to be out was for shopping or exercise.Plenty of pubs around 6 or 7 weeks ago that were serving "takeaway" pints (sometimes in actual pint glasses) to large groups of people standing just outside the pub, who were bringing them back for refills.
    Plenty of pubs in the last couple of weeks not following the restrictions and jammed with hammered people. 20+ pubs being referred to the DPP Not to mention the fact that at a time when outdoor gatherings were limited to 4 people, and funerals to 10, four thousand geniuses decided it would be a great idea to have protest march through the city centre.I haven't been on public transport since fines and jail terms were introduced, but on the few occasions I was over the last couple of weeks at least 80% of people were not wearing masks.Downloading the Covid tracing app is meaningless unless people actually use it. Daily use figures are the only ones that matter. I downloaded it and it won't work on my phone. I also find the figures a bit suspect - they were claiming something like half a million when the Android figure was between 50k and 100k, must be a lot more "responsible" people on iPhones.
    And then there's the gang who headed from around the country down to Kerry for a house party, plus the people identified as close contacts of a confrimed case who are refusing to be tested.But yeah, live in your little imaginary bubble where everyone in Ireland is a responsible saint. I wish I could. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mr. Negative, fails to see the responsible behavior of the majority of Irish citizens... Everyone has towed the line, we gave up our normal lives, from going to the pub for a pint to seeing close relatives, to going to the office, getting a haircut and travelling outside of home for all but essentials, to going to the hospital for regular healthcare/scans....

And as result...we see yet again today, no deaths... low cases...

If people are as irresponsible as you suggest then we'd see numerous deaths and day as well as dozens upon dozens of cases... but we're not... I'm sure people with your opinions would love to see a lot of the lockdown continue, but until there's a cure that won't happen and we have to learn to live with it as much as safe to do so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Looks 50-50 now for next week. I still can’t see why we can’t open up. There’s going to be a lot of pubs literally going to the wall. They think it’s only 3 weeks more but how many jobs and livelihoods will that leave destroyed

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Looks 50-50 now for next week. I still can’t see why we can’t open up. There’s going to be a lot of pubs literally going to the wall. They think it’s only 3 weeks more but how many jobs and livelihoods will that leave destroyed

yeah true

Older people deserve the right to go to the pub and have their usual few pints to get through the day/night. Not all pub goers are alcoholics and some might spend there days off work in them etc

Then you have familes/workers who are depending on pubs opening for income

Its going to fun on this thread if/when they announce the delay of openings. Gastropubs will be even more busier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

PTH2009 wrote: »
    yeah true

Older people deserve the right to go to the pub and have their usual few pints to get through the day/night. Not all pub goers are alcoholics and some might spend there days off work in them etc

Then you have familes/workers who are depending on pubs opening for income

Its going to fun on this thread if/when they announce the delay of openings. Gastropubs will be even more busier

Yeah totally agree. Asking for more trouble come the bank holiday with house parties and so on. At least if all pubs were open it will give people the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Really disappointing to see this might happen. It’s under 25s at house parties not pub goes who are usually above 35 and not out that much! Who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It happened without a pub open and will happen again, in a pub there can be enforced distancing, not in a house.

How can a normal pub enforce social distancing when dealing with clients full of alcohol on them?

Just because there are some house parties going on it does not mean that pubs are the solution to the problem.

Pubs will be full of people of all ages, not just young people who are going to parties so the problem would hit a wider demographic.

I really can't see them opening up next week, especilally NPHET's advice this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

This could arguably make things worse......

Less options for people will lead to more uncontrollable house parties, while there is also perhaps more opportunity for the already opened pubs to flout the rules since they have been obedient for three weeks.

murpho999 wrote: »
    How can a normal pub enforce social distancing when dealing with clients full of alcohol on them?

Just beause there are some house parties going on it does not mean that pubs are the solution to the problem.

I really can't see them opening up next week, especilally NPHET's advice this evening.

Kick them out, i never said it was a solution just pointing out that 14 of 30 odd cases came from one house party and they have zero enforcement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭maherhonda

Its hard to mantain social distancing after a few pints.

Sure look if sports and training is back, Hair saloons back open, people back in offices, Gyms etc. You can't just pick on people going to the pub.

If bar owners are repsonsible I don't see any issues. Some are going to take the piss just like having a house party with 100 people.

I'm not certain about nightclubs though. Are only 50 meant to be aloud in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

The under 25s and their houses parties drinking and riding the holes of eachother was always gonna spread the virus unfortunately

• Advertisement

Kick them out, i never said it was a solution just pointing out that 14 of 30 odd cases came from one house party and they have zero enforcement

So a cash starved pub is going to kick out their regular clients who are mixing with their pub buddies?

It's just not realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Andrew00 wrote: »
    The under 25s and their houses parties drinking and riding the holes of eachother was always gonna spread the virus unfortunately

We could see a, resurgence of the priesthood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭maherhonda

Do you honestly think its only under 25's that have house parties or something?

Wow, these parties really were wild.

So a cash starved pub is going to kick out their regular clients who are mixing with their pub buddies?

It's just not realistic.

People will just have to cop on, if i told you in January that you'd soon be queing up for a supermarket you'd have said thats not realistic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

maherhonda wrote: »
    Do you honestly think its only under 25's that have house parties or something?

And that this is a new phenomenon? It's been going on from the beginning but it's important to remember that the virus is pretty harmless for the vast majority of people. We are getting closer to just telling the vulnerable to cocoon if they are fearful as the tide of public compliance is receding. The government needs to underwrite all costs and wages in the State for so long as it persists with restrictions, it's not sustainable otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

At the end of the day covid doesn't know the difference between 15, 20, 105, 120 minutes in a pub nor the difference between a €9 meal or not.

The 105 was originally 90 and then changed a day later. Its plucked out of thin air

105 is a football match with half time. That’s why it was picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

We could see a, resurgence of the priesthood!

Username checks out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

It's just not realistic.

Yes, because the pub will not want to lose their licence and be front page news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

spurshero wrote: »
    What area are u in . I’m galway city and I don’t see or here any after 11 . Basically an hour or so after food finishes . By the way who are you to say it’s nonsense ?? I could be right I could be wrong ... let’s wait till we see what the guidelines are over next couple days .

I’m in North Co Dublin.

Advertisement