Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you miss the pub?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

If they don't open the pubs, can they realistically keep the gastropubs and restaurants open? Having a bit of food on the table doesn't suddenly make the virus dodge around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Andrew00 wrote: »
    The under 25s and their houses parties drinking and riding the holes of eachother was always gonna spread the virus unfortunately

If only they had invited some girls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭maherhonda

statesaver wrote: »
    Yes, because the pub will not want to lose their licence and be front page news.

Do you think country pubs honestly give a flying feck about that?

The local gaurd is not going to do ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

maherhonda wrote: »
    Its hard to mantain social distancing after a few pints.

Sure look if sports and training is back, Hair saloons back open, people back in offices, Gyms etc. You can't just pick on people going to the pub.

If bar owners are repsonsible I don't see any issues. Some are going to take the piss just like having a house party with 100 people.

I'm not certain about nightclubs though. Are only 50 meant to be aloud in?

Why is it hard to maintain social distance after a few pints? I’ve been drinking in pubs from the age of 16, I’m 38 on Tuesday. I’ve no recollection of suddenly having the urge to hang out of someone after a few pints. I’d normally sit at the bar, have a few pints and have the craic with others sitting around the bar. If I tried hugging or grabbing at them I’d probably get a hook.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Do you think country pubs honestly give a flying feck about that?

The local gaurd is not going to do ya.

Yes I do. Because the owners of country pubs have families too and bar staff ( and their families ) that need to be protected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Pubs expected to be given the go ahead and the signals from Varadkar this evening is they will be. Nightclubs rightly to stay shut, just not possible for them to open.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1283121930980163584?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

People will just have to cop on, if i told you in January that you'd soon be queing up for a supermarket you'd have said thats not realistic

I agree 100% but people are generally sober and alone when queuing for the supermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭maherhonda

statesaver wrote: »
    Yes I do. Because the owners of country pubs have families too and bar staff ( and their families ) that need to be protected.

If a lad gets a bit messy then they might have a word with them to quieten them and to sit down, but kicking them out before they had there full fill is not going to happen, especially for a regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I went to a hotel a few days ago and was charged €8.70 for a pint and €18.50 for a cocktail. I know it’s not a pub but I’ve read here about prices being upped in pubs too- I can see why young people have house parties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

If a lad gets a bit messy then they might have a word with them to quieten them and to sit down, but kicking them out before they had there full fill is not going to happen, especially for a regular.

I don't think publicans will have any patience for shiit acting like that anymore nor will customers.

We'll just have to see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Don't know about that in some pubs anyway. I'd be asked to go quietly even when I wasn't finished, as a regular. Not often mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I went to a hotel a few days ago and was charged €8.70 for a pint and €18.50 for a cocktail. I know it’s not a pub but I’ve read here about prices being upped in pubs too- I can see why young people have house parties.

I’d have told them to keep it . I’ll not set foot in a pub if price gouging happens , and I love a few pints as much as the next man .
    No problem with an extra few cent but that’s scandalous for a pint , hotel or not .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

:eek:

Hope she was worth it....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

pubs will open monday, leo varadker came out and tweeted about an hour ago, cases dont justfiy not going ahead as planned with phase 4. theres serious heat on the government about people coming into the country from USA and UK, theres no chance they can let that happen and at the same time kepp cinemas and pubs shut. if borders had been shut and there wasnt so much heat after coming on them over foregin travel then it would be 50-50 over pubs open but 90% of pubs have opened responsibly 3 weeks ago, they have that from GARDA stats so that will be enough. you cant destroy a sector because of 10% bad apples

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

what hotel and you were a mug to pay that . ? more rip off ireland gash

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Hotel prices have gone through the roof aswell, some hotels in Dingle charging 200 to 250 a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

fin12 wrote: »
    Hotel prices have gone through the roof aswell, some hotels in Dingle charging 200 to 250 a night.

Jesus that's Dublin concert night level Insane prices

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Jesus that's Dublin concert night level Insane prices

I know it’s crazy, even noticed it in other towns and cities, anyway I was very lucky after ringing around got myself an affordable bnb.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

While in the UK, some pubs have cut prices in response to the crisis.

Ireland is the land of high costs, high prices, and high profits.

Cant wait for the pubs to reopen up next week. It will 2 fingers up to the clowns who never wanted to see them reopen. Myself and my mates have organised to meet up Friday week in our local for a few pints. Havent had pints with most of them since christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

We should get word one way or another this evening. I’m not hopeful. 2 week delay I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

MadYaker wrote: »
    We should get word one way or another this evening. I’m not hopeful. 2 week delay I think.

I hope not as I can't afford for them to be closed much longer. Need to get back to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

My gut feeling is that Pubs will get the green light to reopen with the current guidelines in place, with perhaps an odd tweak here and there.

But as a compromise clubs remain closed and indoor gatherings remain at 100

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve never even been charged close to those prices in the south of France, Monte Carlo included, most I paid for a beer was 7 euros there.... I just wouldn’t be paying it here...stay at home and Fûck them...

A lot of publicans are a greedy fückin mob.

ShyMets wrote: »
    My gut feeling is that Pubs will get the green light to reopen with the current guidelines in place, with perhaps an odd tweak here and there.

But as a compromise clubs remain closed and indoor gatherings remain at 100

Not sure how clubs were even put into the same bracket as pubs in terms of reopening. Complete non runner to start with

Jesus thats worse than temple bar prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I suspect that the pub openings will be put off until after the August bank holiday weekend - the scenes in Dame Lame last weekend created fear that people will go mad and that pubs will be packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not sure how clubs were even put into the same bracket as pubs in terms of reopening. Complete non runner to start with

They were put in the same bracket, not to facilitate the customer, but to facilitate the club owners. The very nature of clubs.. a shît load of people together, dancing or socializing, in close proximity to one another in mostly poorly ventilated establishments... alcohol, ‘some’ more illegal substances which will and can alter decision making and behavior... hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Strumms wrote: »
    a shît load of people together, dancing or socializing, in close proximity to one another in mostly poorly ventilated establishments... alcohol, ‘some’ more illegal substances which will and can alter decision making and behavior... hmm

So basically house parties, just with a trading/alcohol license....

• Advertisement

pauliebdub wrote: »
    I suspect that the pub openings will be put off until after the August bank holiday weekend - the scenes in Dame Lame last weekend created fear that people will go mad and that pubs will be packed.

2 weeks ago nearly that is, wasn't repeated at the weekend and was largely down to bags of cans.

Places will be busy first weekend back, busy to their new capacity, its inevitable.

Can't keep putting it off on the fear that people will go mad. They'll be busy to their new allowed capacity and if theres no room then you won't be getting in, as is the case now, table service only etc just remove the food requirement basically.

Longer you keep them closed the more house parties pop up

Advertisement