Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you miss the pub?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I wonder if you buy €9 worth of finger-food to have at the extra house parties that are inevitably going to spring up now, will you be safe from the virus?

Do you people really think you are being funny posting this nonsense day after day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Feel sorry for elderly people who rely on their local for a lot of their social interaction

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

MadYaker wrote: »
    We should get word one way or another this evening. I’m not hopeful. 2 week delay I think.

Even worse than I feared :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭showpony1

that's a disaster had booked a weekend in galway which will likely need to cancel now.
    it also says face masks indoors to be mandatory - will that include going for your 105 min meal and pints??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Do you people really think you are being funny posting this nonsense day after day?

The only nonsense is the arbitrary rule itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Hasn't been any sign of real leadership on the whole Covid restrictions since Meehole took over, and i'm no big fan of Leo at all.

Been a bit of a **** show so far for a variety of reasons but think they are at least showing a bit more means of being proactive and not catering to what will be deemed popular within the general public which is already an improvement on before imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Did you think they’d be collected in the pub?

If there was government guidelines to take details when entering a pub then they would have to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

****ing idiots we will have same amount of cases if not more in 2weeks, have to learn to live with it, that fool gerry kileen on the radio about killing the virus, it wont ****ing happen until a vaccine which at earliest is next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

May put my drinkin shirt back in the hot press 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Did you think they’d be collected in the pub?

Wouldnt be anywhere near 100% compliance no, but would be far better than that what will happen now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Redo91

What a f**king farce of a decision! Feel very sorry for any publicans that have to wait that long. Does the gov want to run them into the ground or what?! The €9 meal makes no sense! No logic to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

There will be some amount of house parties over the August bank holiday weekend now anyway. And at those there won't even be a token attempt at social distancing and nobody will be collecting contact details.

So why do you think it's ok for pubs to open then?

Do you really think they'd all do that?

Also,the whole country has not been going to house parties every weeekend so why now?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What a load of bollix, there's no way there opening in August either before they try opening schools.
    Leave night clubs closed but ffs give me back my local.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I'd imagine this decision will make it harder to convince people on the fence about staycationing in Ireland along with the miserable weather.

A week in Ireland without the chance to stop off for a few pints in a local pub isn't much of a holiday

that 105minutes is a load of bollix too, if somebody has it and you re beside them it wont take 105minutes to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Redo91 wrote: »
    What a f**king farce of a decision! Feel very sorry for any publicans that have to wait that long. Does the gov want to run them into the ground or what?! The €9 meal makes no sense! No logic to it!

The logic is that restaurants were allowed to open, and therefore in order for a pub to open as a restaurant a substantial meal must be bought , consumed and off the premises within a time limit and in that time alcohol can be served.

So they're not technically open as pubs.

I'm surprised at how many people do not make this distinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

RoryMac wrote: »
    I'd imagine this decision will make it harder to convince people on the fence about staycationing in Ireland along with the miserable weather.

A week in Ireland without the chance to stop off for a few pints in a local pub isn't much of a holiday

I was in Lahinch this afternoon nearly all pubs open serving food. The twelfth had a DIY store sign outside.
    Pick you holiday location carefully and you'll get plenty of pints.

murpho999 wrote: »
    THe logic is that restaurants were allowed to open, and therefore in order for a pub to open as a restaurant a substantial meal must be bought , counsumed and off the premisies within a time limit and in that time alcohol can be served.

no logic to allowing restaurants and not pubs with regards to getting infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Redo91 wrote: »

I wouldn't usually have much sympathy for publicans but for them to have spent money of purchasing stock and preparing staff to reopen and then to be told at almost the last minute that no you won't actually be reopening is an awful kick in the teeth. And will they be guaranteed to even reopen on August 10? I wouldn't even be sure of that if I were them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

No surrender! Upon nearing the bad news I stopped in a pub near the office after work to have my dinner. Need to read what the hell is going on but first reaction is one of shock and disappointment.

I'm guessing the bank Holiday played a massive part in the decision but it is total bollox to get people to stay cation and then shaft them with pubs and hotel spas, pools etc.

• Advertisement

THe logic is that restaurants were allowed to open, and therefore in order for a pub to open as a restaurant a substantial meal must be bought , counsumed and off the premisies within a time limit and in that time alcohol can be served.

There's not much logic to it, the bit that makes sense is the table service and social distancing. The meal and 105 minutes isn't logical

I was in Lahinch this afternoon nearly all pubs open serving food. The twelfth had a DIY store sign outside.
    Pick you holiday location carefully and you'll get plenty of pints.

We drastically need the authorities onto things like that.

Over to you Rex Banner

They are serving food so whats your issue here?

We drastically needed the authorities to protect nursing homes and care facilities at the start of this but the failed completely.

'Protecting' against a few people having pints with table service not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Redo91

Don’t worry I understand the distinction perfectly fine. Just not the logic behind it because there is none.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

RoryMac wrote: »
    We drastically needed the authorities to protect nursing homes and care facilities at the start of this but the failed completely.

'Protecting' against a few people having pints with table service not so much

Or American tourists roaming along the wild atlantic way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Looking like it might be Aug 10th hopefully. Some sense for once if it happens. Would be great news for us all to see it pushed back.

Great news for the thousands of small business owners again screwed by this decision? Great news for all, because you on your high horse decide that it's good for all us little people? All the while we go on the opposite path to the rest of Europe

Selfish w**ker

• Registered Users Posts: 13,672 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I genuinely can't figure out if people are being obtuse, facetious or just downright thick about the meal thing.

Nobody in government thinks, has inferred or in any way believes that 9 quids worth of food has some kind of mystical immunity effect on the virus. The rule and the time limit are to try and keep some semblance of manners on people who would otherwise sit there skulling pints indefinitely, getting pished and then inevitably forgetting/refusing to social distance/wait to use the bathroom/generally behave themselves.

Alcohol lowers inhibitions, it's a stone cold fact. Requiring people to pay for and consume a meal and limiting the time they can spend in the pub mitigates some of the stupidity we'd otherwise be guaranteed to see if it was just "operate as normal".

Not rocket science, folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Feel sorry for elderly people who rely on their local for a lot of their social interaction

Me too, there are loads of auld lads and a few auld wans too in our local but..Better they have social interaction over the telephone as opposed to at a hospital.. open soon enough.

Advertisement