Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you miss the pub?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I was in a place for about 3.5 hours tonight. Had a pint, then meal and were kept been served til 9.30 no problem. The bigger the group the less paranoid you would feel in some places. Not used to the tab system and like normal times used to paying as you go

Imo for some places if u go in on your own and you're watched and more likely get no lehway. Pub crawls in this current climate is just not practical and just wasting money

On the social side of things its going to be a tough few weeks and knowing this government could drag on longer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I was in a place for about 3.5 hours tonight. Had a pint, then meal and were kept been served til 9.30 no problem. The bigger the group the less paranoid you would feel in some places. Not used to the tab system and like normal times used to paying as you go

Imo for some places if u go in on your own and you're watched and more likely get no lehway. Pub crawls in this current climate is just not practical and just wasting money

On the social side of things its going to be a tough few weeks and knowing this government could drag on longer

Think they've used up their 1 drag it out tonight. They won't get away with another push back past the 10th.

Regardless there's already plenty of places opening up Monday, the soup and sandwiches are being prepared for €9

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Downlinz wrote: »
    Half of the cases are in one county, Laois hasn't had a case in over 3 weeks and yet people living in both places are following the exact same restrictions. It's far from nonsense to suggest a more localised approach which is happening in most other countries.

I think you may have missed the start of this. My issue was about his comments on the USA. I refrained from commenting on his contention that Micheal Martin etc should be jailed for treason.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Think they've used up their 1 drag it out tonight. They won't get away with another push back past the 10th.

I can't see Martin opening the pubs a few weeks before the kids go back to school, it'll be about protecting children on the 10th
    Now was the time to open to see what happens as if it's going to go pear shaped in pubs it's 100% gonna go wrong in schools.

There's another reason they might be keeping them closed and that's to stop alcohol related hospital admissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Downlinz wrote: »
    Half of the cases are in one county, Laois hasn't had a case in over 3 weeks and yet people living in both places are following the exact same restrictions. It's far from nonsense to suggest a more localised approach which is happening in most other countries.

It would take enormous efforts to start drafting laws per county for a start. Is it legal ? I don’t ever remember it being done.

Secondly you might have thousands of people from Dublin trying to make their way to Louth for a pint on a Friday night from other places too.

We just have to be all in this together. Yes it sucks but we need to suck it up....you can’t have one law for Cork and another for Carlow...

What people need to do is fûcking suck it up, behave like adults, accept the new reality that’s going to be here for a while and try to play a part in getting this sorted...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I’m back working in a Dublin pub now the last week.

The biggest thing I have noticed is that people have a large amount of cop on about the whole thing. Whilst food is not being pushed on people, everyone is keeping their distance and once someone starts to mingle with a different crowd they are refused service and asked to leave. It has worked very well.

Pubs that are taking the piss ie. serving take away with no off license, not taking names and contact numbers, allowing people to roam around should be forced to close.

The food idea is stupid. It should be purely based off the individual premises to adhere to the social distancing guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Could he not have given us the August bank holiday at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Gawd, this is such a massive pity. I booked a weekend away next 25/26 July, was really looking forward to be able to stroll around for the day, dropping in here and there for a drink when I felt like it. Just can`t be bothered with drinking expressos in outdoor stops, does`nt cut it at all for me. He could at least have given us the bank holiday weekend

What happens now for all the publicans who have had deliveries this week. Will the beer last or do they try to send it back. I feel sorry for all the businesses facing ruin, this just makes it harder and harder for the simple local publican to get back on their feet.

Begin to wonder will I ever sit at a bar on my own ever again, pint in front of me, no music blasting, no TV blasting

Simple pleasures are the best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The schools take priority over the retards on pub crawls.

Cop on.

There are one or two posters on here after delighted after hearing that the pubs arent reopening until August 10th. These lads probably dont go near a pub. Absolute joke of a decision from the government. Feel sorry for the small pubs who expected to open back up the 20th and are after stocking on on drink

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

There are one or two posters on here after delighted after hearing that the pubs arent reopening until August 10th. These lads probably dont go near a pub. Absolute joke of a decision from the government. Feel sorry for the small pubs who expected to open back up the 20th and are after stocking on on drink

Hopefully the breweries take back the kegs from them.

Hopefully the breweries take back the kegs from them.

I am sure they will

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

Its actually a very smart decision all things considered. Most pubs are very small and are usually over crowded on a busy day with people locked and acting the maggot while congregating on the street outside smoking heckling passer byes, great fun altogether.

larva wrote: »
    Its actually a very smart decision all things considered. Most pubs are very small and are usually over crowded on a busy day with people locked and acting the maggot while congregating on the street outside smoking heckling passer byes, great fun altogether.

Another one glad to see them not reopen. What about the small family run pubs, a few of these arent going to survive with no money coming in. The only pubs that are over crowded are the ones in the cities and big towns. I live in a small town and the only time the pubs are over crowded is Paddys day and Stephens day. Disgraceful how the pubs are being treated. Why arent the likes of Pennys still closed. These places do be busy with no social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭satguy

We can still let plane loads of disease ridden yanks land at our airport and go and do what ever they want.

Some of them wont even fill out the form to say where they are going. Mary Lou would have sent them back to Disease Land.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

VFI president Padraig Cribben calling on govt to ban all alcohol sales- hard to disagree with that call. If house parties “are the problem” then it’s obvious way of dealing with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

Regardless there's already plenty of places opening up Monday, the soup and sandwiches are being prepared for €9
    you would want to be in a bad way for a drink to pay 9euro for soup and a sandwich....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

oceanman wrote: »
    you would want to be in a bad way for a drink to pay 9euro for soup and a sandwich....

I’d say most people combine it with their main meal of the day. I mainly go to pubs to eat myself. Nights out are dead and buried it seems now for good as it seems certain people are pushing through that agenda and winning by the most powerful of emotions- fear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

road_high wrote: »
    VFI president Padraig Cribben calling on govt to ban all alcohol sales- hard to disagree with that call. If house parties “are the problem” then it’s obvious way of dealing with it

I listened to that interview.

The point he was making was that if the government want to stop house parties, then the logical step would be to ban all alcohol sales.

Shane Coleman pushed him into giving a yes/ no answer as to whether he wanted it. To finish the interview he reluctantly said yes, rather than stick to his original point.

Newstalk are now making it the headline on their news bulletins, as if it was Cribbin's main point.

Tabloid radio at it's best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Some people here, I wonder what pubs they go to if they think they are just full of drunks going around hugging or shouting at randomers.

Even in good times, no publican likes to have messy drunks falling around the place, they just annoy other customers and are usually mostly finished drinking themselves, I imagine they will be glad to have a good excuse to turf them out and also in the current climate customers will not tolerate that sort of nonsense.
    I have been in a few pubs in the last few weeks without that having that stupid meal and no time limits, but the one thing that was well observed was groups keeping their distance.
    Stupid decision, disastrous start to a new Government. They could have just pushed it out a week and people would have swallowed that, but 3 weeks is ridiculous and as the weeks go by and there is no increase in the current case rate, it will look even more so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

larva wrote: »

I must be going to the wrong pub, never see that carry on.

Probably your imagination gone into overdrive, I mean how are these people simultaneously overcrowding a small pub while congregating on the street outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Thanks for the thumbs up.

May have to call to the supermarket and stock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Allinall wrote: »
    I listened to that interview.

The point he was making was that if the government want to stop house parties, then the logical step would be to ban all alcohol sales.

Shane Coleman pushed him into giving a yes/ no answer as to whether he wanted it. To finish the interview he reluctantly said yes, rather than stick to his original point.

Newstalk are now making it the headline on their news bulletins, as if it was Cribbin's main point.

Tabloid radio at it's best.

This is how they're pushing it. Even if it wasn't his main point, it was a protectionist piece of nonsense he wouldn't be sad to see introduced.

https://twitter.com/BreakfastNT/status/1283668289521057798

Some people drive dangerously and kill people. Cars are the problem, hard to disagree with that, so they should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Strumms wrote: »

Secondly you might have thousands of people from Dublin trying to make their way to Louth for a pint on a Friday night from other places too.

I remembered when half the country came to Limerick city when Munster was playing on Good Friday. Majority probably never seen an oval ball before.

Great night though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

It would be interesting to see what would happen if they did ban all alcohol sales. I think it would be a step too far and people would be out protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Yester wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see what would happen if they did ban all alcohol sales. I think it would be a step too far and people would be out protesting.

It would be prohibition and it would be an absolutely mental thing to do. Would just lead to even more criminality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Yester wrote: »

Cross border shopping would become very popular. I recall people driving up north or getting the boat to Wales to buy cheap alcohol years ago and it would only happen again. The idea of a ban on supermarket alcohol sales is ridiculous and Padraig Cribben made a fool of himself suggesting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I wonder will there be panic buying of alcohol if rumour spreads that it might be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DD1518

Realistically what's going to change by the 10th what's the chances of that going ahead it's looking like that will be extended even further it could be Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Another one glad to see them not reopen. What about the small family run pubs, a few of these arent going to survive with no money coming in. The only pubs that are over crowded are the ones in the cities and big towns. I live in a small town and the only time the pubs are over crowded is Paddys day and Stephens day. Disgraceful how the pubs are being treated. Why arent the likes of Pennys still closed. These places do be busy with no social distancing.

So you're point is that small family run pubs should be allowed to open?

Advertisement