Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you miss the pub?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

A few more people might be alive though.

There are currently 13 people in hospital in the entire ROI with Covid. Thirteen. Out of five and a half million. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

satguy wrote: »
    We can still let plane loads of disease ridden yanks land at our airport and go and do what ever they want.

Some of them wont even fill out the form to say where they are going. Mary Lou would have sent them back to Disease Land.

Whatabouterry really.

We absolutely should be stricter on the borders. But it shouldn't have a bearing on whether the pubs are allowed open now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Yester wrote: »
    I wonder will there be panic buying of alcohol if rumour spreads that it might be banned.

You'll have to hover around the supermarket from time open till 10 am.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Wild Field 1831

I missed it for lunch and watching GAA, football and rugby matches and having great chats with whoever I bumped into.

Not the alcohol as I don't drink.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Some people here, I wonder what pubs they go to if they think they are just full of drunks going around hugging or shouting at randomers.

Even in good times, no publican likes to have messy drunks falling around the place, they just annoy other customers and are usually mostly finished drinking themselves, I imagine they will be glad to have a good excuse to turf them out and also in the current climate customers will not tolerate that sort of nonsense.
    I have been in a few pubs in the last few weeks without that having that stupid meal and no time limits, but the one thing that was well observed was groups keeping their distance.

Honestly, I'd question more what type of pubs you go to. I can tell you there are a large number of pubs who will serve people who are clearly beyond drunk, as long as they are spending money.

As for your point about groups not mixing in pubs in recent weeks. Recent weeks aren't comparable to the free-for-all approach that phase 4 will bring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Whatabouterry really.
    We absolutely should be stricter on the borders. But it shouldn't have a bearing on whether the pubs are allowed open now.

The issue is that because the Govt. has failed completely to control the borders by not having random testing, mandatory quarantines, Green-Amber-Red travel lists etc..The HSE are worried that people coming from say the U.S across the border from the North or mainland UK, or direct flights will head to Pubs and potentially create those "Super spreader" events we read about in the Media.

Now due to lack of clear Governance on everything from masks to testing to border control, the end result is extending the lockdown measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The issue is that because the Govt. has failed completely to control the borders by not having random testing, mandatory quarantines, Green-Amber-Red travel lists etc..The HSE are worried that people coming from say the U.S across the border from the North or mainland UK, or direct flights will head to Pubs and potentially create those "Super spreader" events we read about in the Media.

Now due to lack of clear Governance on everything from masks to testing to border control, the end result is extending the lockdown measures.

Even if the government had a handle on the borders, I still don't think it should have a direct bearing on pubs reopening. We have enough cases, and the R level is of sufficient number, to err on the side of caution imo. Especially knowing what we're like as a nation for drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Leo has done a 180 in 48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

I can see talking being banned outside of the home soon. DAVIRUS travels through talking too and surely in this day and age we can just text each other from beyond 2 metres,those without phones can use placards like in the Bob Dylan video but they must be reusable ones so as to not affect the climate too much. Ideally even in the home talking should be limited to 5 minutes an hour and only when really necessary as gestures may suffice in most cases.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Leo has done a 180 in 48 hours.

What did he say 48 hours ago? Did he say the pubs will be open before then?

So you're point is that small family run pubs should be allowed to open?
    All pubs should be allowed open buts it the smaller pubs that are going to be affected more than the big pubs in the cities. Its a joke that they arent open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

hawkwing wrote:
    I can see talking being banned outside of the home soon. DAVIRUS travels through talking too and surely in this day and age we can just text each other from beyond 2 metres,those without phones can use placards like in the Bob Dylan video but they must be reusable ones so as to not affect the climate too much. Ideally even in the home talking should be limited to 5 minutes an hour and only when really necessary as gestures may suffice in most cases.

No bad thing. A lot of a-holes out there.

Not having to listen to them would be bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Gawd, this is such a massive pity. I booked a weekend away next 25/26 July, was really looking forward to be able to stroll around for the day, dropping in here and there for a drink when I felt like it. Just can`t be bothered with drinking expressos in outdoor stops, does`nt cut it at all for me. He could at least have given us the bank holiday weekend

What happens now for all the publicans who have had deliveries this week. Will the beer last or do they try to send it back. I feel sorry for all the businesses facing ruin, this just makes it harder and harder for the simple local publican to get back on their feet.

Begin to wonder will I ever sit at a bar on my own ever again, pint in front of me, no music blasting, no TV blasting

Simple pleasures are the best

I’m the same, going for a weekend away in Dingle, was really looking forward going to a few different pubs around the place, now have to stick with one pub on each night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

DD1518 wrote: »
    Realistically what's going to change by the 10th what's the chances of that going ahead it's looking like that will be extended even further it could be Christmas.
    Jesus not a hope christmas, they would panic about crowds out over the festive period and extend it to late january, then they would be afraid of six nations games and crowds out watching them and drinking extend til after 6 nations but then its coming up to easter weekend , maybe extend til after that in case of crowds , but then may bank holiday weekeend.......

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

really waked angry about this :(:mad::mad:

I knw we still have food pubs but its just not the same feeling, hard to relax when youre unsure of how long you will be allowed stay and possibly starts fast binge drinking

Its nots good for social mental health that i cant go and relax have a pint and then we have the Government coming out and not promising the pubs will be open in August

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Whitters22

May have been asked already but anyone know if the North are operating under the same "pubs as restaurants" system? If so, when do they move to full pubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Agreed. Leo is talking about random covid tests of those coming from red zones. Its the usual kite flying finger in the air stuff to see what people think.

Everyone coming from a red zone should be tested and should have been since months ago.

The indecision of government has already cost many lives.

All pubs should be allowed open buts it the smaller pubs that are going to be affected more than the big pubs in the cities. Its a joke that they arent open

Sorry but given the numbers (new cases and R) then all pubs shouldn't be opening yet. As soon as the pubs open it is going to be mayhem with the amount of people going to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Agreed. Leo is talking about random covid tests of those coming from red zones. Its the usual kite flying finger in the air stuff to see what people think.

Everyone coming from a red zone should be tested and should have been since months ago.

The indecision of government has already cost many lives.

Leos fault again.

Even though he ain't in charge anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Sorry but given the numbers (new cases and R) then all pubs shouldn't be opening yet. As soon as the pubs open it is going to be mayhem with the amount of people going to them.

Because the pubs have caused the R number to rise?

Another one who doesnt want the pubs to reopen :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭sporina

i know one does not have to go to the pub to get alcohol, nevertheless, tis ironic really - one of the major burdens on the public health system is due to alcohol - whether direct or indirectly.. yet so much focus on the reopening of pubs... so many other pressing matters that the government could be spending their time and energy on..

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Was away for a few days there in a popular beachside town. The place was fairly busy with tourists. The few places serving food were impossible to get into without a booking. When you went in then it was a ‘just going to talk about our restrictions for a while’ lecture from a teenager and it was made clear the clock was running. Eat up, pay up and get out, we were told we didn’t have time for desert. Had to ask for a key to a toilet. Told to stay in our seats etc etc. Reduced menus. Full prices though. Our semi self catering apartment had all the cutlery and crockery removed for some reason, but you could ask for some?

The whole thing was very irritating. Totally different measures in every establishment, with non sensical restrictions in many.

A few expensive experiences of eating out with the current conditions imposed are enough for me. We have a longer staycation in August and I won’t be bothering going out to eat/drink.

Another one who doesnt want the pubs to reopen :rolleyes:

I want them to reopen.

Poorside wrote: »
    Because the pubs have caused the R number to rise?

I don't see how that is possible given we're talking about wet pubs and they haven't opened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

sporina wrote: »
    i know one does not have to go to the pub to get alcohol, nevertheless, tis ironic really - one of the major burdens on the public health system is due to alcohol - whether direct or indirectly.. yet so much focus on the reopening of pubs... so many other pressing matters that the government could be spending their time and energy on..

You realise people work in pubs, yeah?

And perhaps if the government didn't spend the last fortnight pissing about with the whole Barry Cowan saga, then maybe they could have spent a bit of time dealing with the proposed Phase 4 of reopening or maybe even the travel situation.

I'm far from a fan of Leo Varadker and Fine Gael, but at least they got people to buy in to the whole thing for the most part. Martin has got a lot of work to do to keep people on board much longer, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭sporina

El Weirdo wrote: »
    You realise people work in pubs, yeah?

And perhaps if the government didn't spend the last fortnight pissing about with the whole Barry Cowan saga, then maybe they could have spent a bit of time dealing with the proposed Phase 4 of reopening or maybe even the travel situation.

I'm far from a fan of Leo Varadker and Fine Gael, but at least they got people to buy in to the whole thing for the most part. Martin has got a lot of work to do to keep people on board much longer, imo.

no use having people employed if we have to spend the revenue on dealing with the repercussions of alcohol abuse and or an increase in covid cases..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

sporina wrote: »
    no use having people employed if we have to spend the revenue on dealing with the repercussions of alcohol abuse and or an increase in covid cases..

Maybe you can help pay my mortgage so then.

Advertisement