Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you miss the pub?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

sporina wrote: »
    no use having people employed if we have to spend the revenue on dealing with the repercussions of alcohol abuse and or an increase in covid cases..

alochol abuse is happening at a greater scale with house parties wake up and stop talking rot

Every time a person has a drink it isn’t alcohol abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

this time limit is encouraging binge drinking

JTMan wrote: »
    I have a relative that is very sick that I see frequently.

Invited to go for drinks and food with mates tomorrow.

I don't care too much about my own personal risk but I do not want to give my relative anything.

Is the risk of going to the pub too great in these circumstances? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Pick one or the other but both is risky. Stay away for 2 weeks if you go to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

whats the deal with the publican in limerick opening up and not serving food monday? is it just advised that pubs stay shut? whats actually stopping pubs opening monday or tomorrow and having their menu and serve food, they dont need a licence or anything. pizza, soup , chips , sandwich

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »
    whats the deal with the publican in limerick opening up and not serving food monday? is it just advised that pubs stay shut? whats actually stopping pubs opening monday or tomorrow and having their menu and serve food, they dont need a licence or anything. pizza, soup , chips , sandwich

fake news

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭saabsaab

fake news

I'd say so. Those that are opening on the QT to trusted regulars don't want to risk any attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

JTMan wrote: »
    I have a relative that is very sick that I see frequently.

Invited to go for drinks and food with mates tomorrow.

I don't care too much about my own personal risk but I do not want to give my relative anything.

Is the risk of going to the pub too great in these circumstances? Any thoughts? Thanks.

This is really about personal responsibility. If you’re distanced and it’s quiet I don’t see why not..

never_mind wrote: »
    This is really about personal responsibility. If you’re distanced and it’s quiet I don’t see why not..

Surely if they’re going to be responsible then removing even more risk by not going is the way to go.

Surely if they’re going to be responsible then removing even more risk by not going is the way to go.

This is going to go on for a long time. We can’t all just sit at home in fear.

• Advertisement

never_mind wrote: »
    This is going to go on for a long time. We can’t all just sit at home in fear.

You do if you’re regularly visiting a sick relative that you could kill by going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭sporina

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Maybe you can help pay my mortgage so then.

awe - you obviously work in the trade - guess it would be tough for you to be objective so..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭opinionated3

House party held three doors up from us last night. A 21st i believe. But I can't meet my buddies in a Sunday evening for a few pints and a chat in a small rural pub......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

House party held three doors up from us last night. A 21st i believe. But I can't meet my buddies in a Sunday evening for a few pints and a chat in a small rural pub......

Did you ring the Guards?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Did you ring the Guards?

Guards cant do anything afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Did you ring the Guards?

Who's going to call the Gards on a neighbour?

Besides, they won't come.. They will say it's a "Civil" matter... unless the Govt. make house parties illegal... Then they better inject a few €Million back into the Garda budget...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Wouldnt be a big drinker but was down in dingle for a couple of days. Left our resturant just before 9. Would have been nice if we could have popped into a pub for 1 on the way back to the accomdation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I see the Dail Bar is allowed open. Quelle Surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I see the Dail Bar is allowed open. Quelle Surprise

They serve food and are operating under the same guidelines as any other bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Did you ring the Guards?

Why would I ring the guards? Surely they have more on their hands right now, like serious crime or animal theft (which seems to be rampant right now for some reason). If they wouldn't intervene while standing beside a traveler funeral in Limerick a few weeks ago with no social distancing whatsoever, and ignoring the 50 persons Max ruling, why would they bother with a house party?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Why would I ring the guards? Surely they have more on their hands right now, like serious crime or animal theft (which seems to be rampant right now for some reason). If they wouldn't intervene while standing beside a traveler funeral in Limerick a few weeks ago with no social distancing whatsoever, and ignoring the 50 persons Max ruling, why would they bother with a house party?

Doubt they’d get a judge at that hour of the night either, to get them a warrant to allow them to enter the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭global23214124

The lack of the pubs opening seems to have driven people (at least in Dublin) into drinking at the canal, into the parks, into house parties. I know a certain amount of this goes on anyway but just going into housing estates you see people with camping chairs and such just having a few quiet ones. The lack a plan is kind of annoying while our numbers seem decent. Half worried about the economy going to absolute ****e once winter comes and the tourism season is gone and the covid payments have dried up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

cue the fights and stabbings report on a sunday morning from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Ah the old two wrongs will make a right approach, very cunning....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

almostover wrote: »
    Ah the old two wrongs will make a right approach, very cunning....

But what's wrong being socially distanced in a pub to being socially distanced outside?

Surely better than no social distancing at all? Or does it depend on the industry? Did I miss that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

But what's wrong being socially distanced in a pub to being socially distanced outside?

Surely better than no social distancing at all? Or does it depend on the industry? Did I miss that?

It means we should avoid large crowds in indoor settings. Alcohol exacerbates the issue as it lowers people's inhibitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

I don't miss pubs at all and I reckon there's too many in this country.

Alcohol is too easy to access and causes problem drinking in some. We should be less reliant on it for our social lives.

Tec Diver wrote: »

Alcohol is too easy to access and causes problem drinking in some. We should be less reliant on it for our social lives.

alot of people feel the same about churches

alot of people feel the same about churches

Or fast food. Or shopping centres

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Tec Diver wrote: »

Compared to other countries, our access to alcohol isn't that easy. Just curious, what kind of restrictions to it would you suggest

Advertisement