Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Sky News : “he’s been taken to ICU should he require ventilation”

In other words - he’s on a ventilator.
    Or perhaps, you know it means what they are reporting?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

BanditLuke wrote: »
    The virus doesn't care if you are Trump or a tramp.

In fairness to the virus, the profile is very similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Just received a push notification off extra.ie saying "Temperatures set to soar this week" with a picture of people at the beach.

WTF are they thinking??? And why is my phone giving me this garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

Think he means that Russians have discovered time travel.

Or the Russians have damn good intelligence.

Which is not unreasonable to assume , given Putin’s previous career.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,779 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

easypazz wrote: »
    Me neither, I would say his advisors will have him well muzzled on it though.

That has not detered Donald before from going off script.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭Comhrá

BanditLuke wrote: »
    The virus doesn't care if you are Trump or a tramp.

Or both.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

It actually doesn't necessarily mean that not yet anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Sorry, but I can't help laughing about the sudden turnaround in compassion for the Prime minister on this thread.

People who have been prolifically posting here for weeks proclaiming this news really brings it home to them?????

The people who died over the last week, neighbours, grandparents, just didn't do it for them???

He’s relatively young, has no reported underlying condition and would have access to the best care. This is a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

I kind of switched off from the social media and news stuff today because of work and burn out from it but can anyone tell me is there some shift in attitude and outcomes in the last 12 hours. Several people I know are saying we are coming out of this and restrictions are going to be lifted in a few weeks (and we will be back to normal).

Forgive my ignorance, as I am only in the door from work a while ago but has something changed like a treatment/vaccine or what?

You have to decipher British civil servant speak.

“Yes Minister” wasn’t just a comedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭threeball

Watching the coverage on Sky News. There was a few commentators being interviewed - they all spoke about the need to take the virus seriously now, as if the whole thing is still some sort of surprise or unexpected.

Many people in the UK arent taking it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    And why is my phone giving me this garbage.

You opted in for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

What was the HSE announcement mentioned here? https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058065330

I can't find anything

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

plodder wrote: »

It really has the feel of rich person's disease (just heard Pep Gardiola's mother died from it). Or at least, most diseases hit the poorest hardest, but not this one.

I'd describe it as more of an equal opportunities disease. There is no special extra medical care or treatment available if you are wealthy.

Once you catch it, everyone has the same odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

That actually means he's not on a ventilator.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭marilynrr

humberklog wrote: »

But I've a question for someone that might know: Is a viral load important in other viruses? I would've thought you either get Rabies, Smallpox, Dengue etc. or don't. I didn't realise you could get more of a virus. Is that normal?

I'm not sure about those viruses but I know that with HIV some people that are HIV positive can have so little of the virus in their blood that it's called an undetectable viral load. I believe it's impossible or nearly impossible to pass it on in that case!!

It actually doesn't necessarily mean that not yet anyway.

Like the doctor on Sky said earlier, even PMs don't get IC beds as a just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

I am not an expert, but moving him to ICU is a huge deal, in terms of national morale, who runs the country in a crisis etc.

I doubt they would move him "as a precaution"

They could offer nearly every service in a regular room anyway, that is being done in hospitals everywhere, regular rooms are temporarily being upgraded to ICU standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Maestro85 wrote: »
    I kind of switched off from the social media and news stuff today because of work and burn out from it but can anyone tell me is there some shift in attitude and outcomes in the last 12 hours. Several people I know are saying we are coming out of this and restrictions are going to be lifted in a few weeks (and we will be back to normal).

Forgive my ignorance, as I am only in the door from work a while ago but has something changed like a treatment/vaccine or what?

Nothing specific in Ireland but a couple of other European countries such as Denmark and Austria are talking about it and our curve has been relatively flat for a while. Don’t think we’re out of the woods yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Just looking at next door getting a take away delivered. The driver with no gloves and wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Why are take aways still allowed?

Because people need to eat? What does him wearing shorts and a t-shirt have to do with anything? Is he supposed to be in a full hazmat suit?

• Advertisement

Cuomo presser from this afternoon in NYC says definitely not. Lock down will be extended there.

Boris going into ICU this evening also points to an extension..

I really can’t see any easing until mid summer at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

Nothing has changed. Boris went into ICU that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

Just received a push notification off extra.ie saying "Temperatures set to soar this week" with a picture of people at the beach.

A few lads from work are planning on road trips/sessions this weekend down the country. I being a dry balls told them to cop on. Strange change in attitude today from the people I spoke to that believe things are going to be restricted and we will go the way of Austria and other countries allowing less restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭threeball

The scoundrel. There really needs to be rooftop snipers in place for this sort of thing.

Mary Lou promised to install some if she gets in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

marilynrr wrote: »
    I'm not sure about those viruses but I know that with HIV some people that are HIV positive can have so little of the virus in their blood that it's called an undetectable viral load. I believe it's impossible or nearly impossible to pass it on in that case!!

Yes, viral load means a lot. I would think that would be the case for all infectious agents?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

It is pretty fúcked up in fairness - photos of people out and about enjoying the sun like they used to do in the "old world" !

https://extra.ie/2020/04/06/news/irish-news/weather-temperatures-rise-ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

humberklog wrote: »
    More so than any other holiday or even environment is contact with other people's mucus inevitable and a lot of it.

Blech! I've never been skiing and was seriously considering it at somr near future time having listened to some close one's tales of its loveliness recently. .but now you have totally ruined it for me. A LOT of INEVITABLE contact with OTHER people's MUCUS! :(:( Noooo thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I hope Boris doesn’t have to go on ventilator, that seems to be coin tossing level severity.

I’d originally heard that it was a 50/50 shot once you get to that level but on a medical website I frequent it said your chances can be as low as 14%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Yeah true. But it hasn't taken hold in hot countries the same way it has in Western Europe. If you look at Australia it really isn't growing there significantly. The jury is still out on what effect the summer has on it but I feel it may die away in Europe in the summer.

It’s not that hot here, the weather changed at the end of January and aside a few days it’s been cooler and wetter than usual. However there are believed to be several different strains, we are on day 74 and most of our earlier cases were the original Chinese strain from Asia and it doesn’t seem as aggressive as the later European sourced strain that was on the cruise ship.

• Advertisement

Another GP on Sky saying he won't have gone into IC as a precaution, he's gone in due to his condition.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement