Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Hurrache wrote: »
    Like the doctor on Sky said earlier, even PMs don't get IC beds as a just in case.

That's bollix. Not EVERYONE in ICU is on a vent, Ireland regularly talk about the number in ICU and the number of them on vents is never the same. Stop making **** up that is ompletely at odds with reports

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

did Mary Louise McDonald have rant today, giving out about varadkar about him helping out 1 day a month... anyone got a link to it send it on thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It is pretty fúcked up in fairness - photos of people out and about enjoying the sun like they used to do in the "old world" !

https://extra.ie/2020/04/06/news/irish-news/weather-temperatures-rise-ireland

Gutter "journalism".
    Highly irresponsible.

Don't support the Irish Red tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

He’s relatively young, has no reported underlying condition and would have access to the best care. This is a big deal.

Smoker, drinker, high pressure job... Would be in the candidates for high risk, I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

Like the doctor on Sky said earlier, even PMs don't get IC beds as a just in case.

That’s complete horsesh1t.
    He’s the PM.

Britain isn’t a republic. Thats just reality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

humberklog wrote: »
    As another poster pointed out that it could be to do with the viral load.

Anyone who has been on a skiing trip will know that the chances of a high viral load is huge on such a holiday. You've a lot of mucus as you're up high and in the cold, that gets onto your snood, scarf, gloves, jacket, hands. The first thing you do when off the piste is head to a bar or villa for drinks, food. All your head and hand gear is thrown down on shared tables, food and drink is shared around. Most accommodation is in shared villas 6-12 people and bars, nightclubs and restaurants are tight squeezes in the evening.
    More so than any other holiday or even environment is contact with other people's mucus inevitable and a lot of it.

But I've a question for someone that might know: Is a viral load important in other viruses? I would've thought you either get Rabies, Smallpox, Dengue etc. or don't. I didn't realise you could get more of a virus. Is that normal?

I think maybe HIV.

There's anti viral medication now for hiv. If people with hiv take the anti viral meds, the viral load in the blood is little to none. If the meds are not taken, there's a viral load in the blood and it can be transmitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

That's bollix. Not EVERYONE in ICU is on a vent, Ireland regularly talk about the number in ICU and the number of them on vents is never the same. Stop making **** up that is ompletely at odds with reports

Reread the post, it says he's not in there as a precaution.

The only person making things up here is you as your post is not based on what you're replying to.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Just received a push notification off extra.ie saying "Temperatures set to soar this week" with a picture of people at the beach.

WTF are they thinking??? And why is my phone giving me this garbage.

I have a load of Job notifications from jobs.ie, and the rest and in the last month I seem to be getting more and more amazing job opportunities coming in. 20-30 a day - who would think there was a lock down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Sad to hear about Boris (no fan), wife expecting - she must be worried sick and not good for her having just got over it herself

We've been hearing these stories for a while now - people seeming to be fighting it off for a week or so and then in the space of 24 hours their condition seriously declines near to the point of death.

Wish him well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Another GP on Sky saying he won't have gone into IC as a precaution, he's gone in due to his condition.

Bear in mind he supposedly said this just 8 hours ago,

Last night, on the advice of my doctor, I went into hospital for some routine tests as I’m still experiencing coronavirus symptoms. I’m in good spirits and keeping in touch with my team, as we work together to fight this virus and keep everyone safe.

Routine tests, working with his team (who hadn't heard from him since Saturday)

Then now he is in ICU "as a precaution"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I interpreted that as saying that a PM would not be treated differently as anyone else when it comes to ICU admission criteria, not that all ICU patients require ventilation.

Or ar least that's the PR anyway.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Because people need to eat? What does him wearing shorts and a t-shirt have to do with anything? Is he supposed to be in a full hazmat suit?

It's hard to scan that one actually. Not sure what the concern is, is it take aways in general? Take aways allowed during COVID19? Is it the neighbour? Is it concern for inappropriate clothing for the current weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Panrich

Another GP on Sky saying he won't have gone into IC as a precaution, he's gone in due to his condition.

Everything has been downplayed so far. My wife just said God forbid the worst was to come to pass that she wouldn't be surprised to hear them say that they're burying him as a precaution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭screamer

easypazz wrote: »
    I am not an expert, but moving him to ICU is a huge deal, in terms of national morale, who runs the country in a crisis etc.

I doubt they would move him "as a precaution"

They could offer nearly every service in a regular room anyway, that is being done in hospitals everywhere, regular rooms are temporarily being upgraded to ICU standard.

Yes this is the problem for them and telling the full story. Seems that uk don’t really have a second in command. Rabb can take over certain things, but not everything. So whilst Borris is incapacitated, there is doubt over who is running the country. Kinda like titanic a bit, if the captains not at the wheel...... and I suspect that’s why they’re feeding out updates retrospectively here, to prevent panic amongst the general population.

Sky News : “he’s been taken to ICU should he require ventilation”

In other words - he’s on a ventilator.

Comprehension not your strong point.?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It actually doesn't necessarily mean that not yet anyway.

It does not, but if you have been following the spin from his officials, which has sought to downplay everything so far about his condition , it 's not that far- fetched to conclude that he is in fact on one. They want to keep the national morale high, so they will be loathe to admit he is on one, until they have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Dr on Sky now saying most people who are fighting it rest up and take care of themselves. He really hasn't being doing that with trying to keep things running. Now his body has said enough. I hope he recovers. Whether you like him or not, this must be a shock for people in the UK and make things more frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

Thanks for the replies guys/gals.

Currently reading about the tiger in NY zoo.... surreal stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Gutter "journalism".
    Highly irresponsible.

Don't support the Irish Red tops.

I sent an email to them asking them to cop on.

quokula wrote: »
    Nothing specific in Ireland but a couple of other European countries such as Denmark and Austria are talking about it and our curve has been relatively flat for a while. Don’t think we’re out of the woods yet though.

DOn't think that people who think we're not out of the woods, would ever think we're out of the woods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

He’s the PM.

You, and others, are arguing with 2 doctors, presumably of reasonable standing that they get regular TV slots, not with me. But I'll assume you guys know better for the craic if it makes you feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭boardise

Italy was reporting 60/40. ( 40% survival ).

Clutching at straws we might surmise that a large proportion of the Italian ICU patients were an older cohort with possible underlying conditions.
    Since Boris is younger with no existing condition that we know of-that might tilt the odds in his favour. All reasonable people including poltitcal opponents will be hoping he gets through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Yay, Claire Byrne is out of her shed !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

Maestro85 wrote: »
    I kind of switched off from the social media and news stuff today because of work and burn out from it but can anyone tell me is there some shift in attitude and outcomes in the last 12 hours. Several people I know are saying we are coming out of this and restrictions are going to be lifted in a few weeks (and we will be back to normal).

Forgive my ignorance, as I am only in the door from work a while ago but has something changed like a treatment/vaccine or what?
    There's been a definite downward trend in deaths in Spain and Italy. Possibly the UK, but too soon to be definite. Some countries like Germany are talking about a loosening of restrictions, but I imagine it will only be to a limited extent, to get as many people back to work as possible. There's been a suggestion also that countries which had mass BCG vaccination programs (like Ireland and UK) might get off a bit lighter in terms of illness severity. The next week will reveal a lot I think. USA is still the big unknown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

He’s the PM.

And they would bring the ICU equipment to him if its a precaution, rather than announce he is in ICU, unless they absolutely have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

fritzelly wrote: »
    Sad to hear about Boris (no fan), wife expecting - she must be worried sick and not good for her having just got over it herself

We've been hearing these stories for a while now - people seeming to be fighting it off for a week or so and then in the space of 24 hours their condition seriously declines near to the point of death.

Wish him well

Horrendous news. Don't agree with his politics but it's terrible what's happened.A sharp wake-up for everyone with a laisser faire attitude towards this thing. Hopefully the man pulls through.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,105 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Boris now in intensive care, not looking good

screamer wrote: »
    Yes this is the problem for them and telling the full story. Seems that uk don’t really have a second in command. Rabb can take over certain things, but not everything. So whilst Borris is incapacitated, there is doubt over who is running the country. Kinda like titanic a bit, if the captains not at the wheel...... and I suspect that’s why they’re feeding out updates retrospectively here, to prevent panic amongst the general population.

Dominic 'I didn't know Dover to Calais was such a big trade route' Raab. In good hands, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

MipMap wrote: »
    I have a load of Job notifications from jobs.ie, and the rest and in the last month I seem to be getting more and more amazing job opportunities coming in. 20-30 a day - who would think there was a lock down.

Amazeballs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,105 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement