Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Pencil Neck

hawkelady wrote: »
    Ah , we have a curtain twitcher here .... did the delivery guy call into you and give you a hug? Give over and get back to washing your hands

Poor lad sick of his lentils and salads I’d say !

• Registered Users Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

MD1990 wrote: »
    obesity seems to play quite a big role.

Dont know why it isnt being urging people to lose weight who are carrying excess weight,
    It could save your self.

This whole thing should make a lot of people take care of their immune system much better. Keeping the weight off and keeping relatively fit should be forefront for everyone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

MipMap wrote: »
    I got a stupid theory. No evidence whatsoever. Just a gut feel as to why men

die more than women and it is cos men are normally bigger, fatter than women. This virus likes big people with lots of cells.

That's why China, Singapore, Japan etc are doing so well cos they are all smaller than us.

Told you it was Thick

Ooh matron... ;)

Should be easy to correlate obesity with gender, but we still have a lot to learn. Some people point to smoking as a confounding factor too.

I don't know, but men do seem to do worse with this. Perhaps it's older men. Ive yet to see a good statistical breakdown of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Sky News : Boris given oxygen before going into ICU. Stressing that he’s NOT gone onto a ventilator. ( which means he has. )

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

Why do we need to test? Is it to force the positive ones into isolation ? But if you think about it, only people who feel ill in Ireland are getting tested, and you would imagine, unless they have been living under a rock, that they would isolate from people already if they feel themselves that they have it, and they must think they have it when they demand a test.

It's a hard one to figure out, as people who are very ill will present themselves at hospital, regardless of testing. Full lockdown for a month, no testing, and see who presents would be same thing.
    This is basically what happens in Spain and Italy. In Irelnd we have time to do "Contact Tracing" still which really just hits it in spots but nevertheless
    is a lot better than the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I got a stupid theory. No evidence whatsoever. Just a gut feel as to why men

die more than women and it is cos men are normally bigger, fatter than women. This virus likes big people with lots of cells.

That's why China, Singapore, Japan etc are doing so well cos they are all smaller than us.

Told you it was Thick

A previous study found that oestrogen offered some protection against SARS, so its probably something to do with that and a few other factors

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Then she gives it the passive aggressive "...in your words". Painful. Belligerent.

She's an expert now cos she had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

That it does. However if you think we are being fully advised as to his health treatment by Downing Street then think again. It was clear since yesterday that this was a serious situation for him.

Some people still think that “Yes Minister” is a comedy.

:confused:
    Right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Poor lad sick of his lentils and salads I’d say !

Belongs in the etiquette thread so he does.

Negative vibes here tonight, rubbing off on me. I'm out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

is_that_so wrote: »
    Thinking about the briefing tonight it very much sounds like they want to get it to a place where they can manage it like the annual flu' season.

Yes when our healthcare can handle it restrictions will be lifted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    He’d have the inside track too, as a journalist.

He knows nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I offered to collect Nora's pension

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tandey

Did Claire cut her own hair with the strimmers while in isolation in the shed?

Sky News : Boris given oxygen before going into ICU. Stressing that he’s NOT gone onto a ventilator. ( which means he has. )
    Correct.
    You could have a great career in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Drumpot wrote: »
    Wouldn’t it be great if we could all find a common ground on this and use it as a way to unite. We are all stuck on this rock together and none of us are perfect. We could make it so much easier if we just learned to get along. That’s why I don’t see targeting China as helpful on any capacity, that will just divide us all further.

Agreed... I loved this quote from a dead astronaut regarding international politics.

14jan2019borisweb.jpeg

plodder wrote: »
    God, Jon Snow very downbeat on Claire Byrne there. Gives a glimpse of the effect it will have on the British public if he doesn't pull through.

That says a lot. Jon Snow is an extremely well connected journalist. He is literally part of “the establishment”.

It’s way worse than they are letting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Just looking at next door getting a take away delivered. The driver with no gloves and wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Why are take aways still allowed?

Yeh, hazmat suits only!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That says a lot. Jon Snow is an extremely well connected journalist. He is literally part of “the establishment”.

It’s way worse than they are letting on.

He seems to be the go to man for RTE (and definitely not his jovial self)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tandey

So you aren’t an idiot ;);)

• Advertisement

Agreed... I loved this quote from a dead astronaut regarding international politics.

14jan2019borisweb.jpeg

Edgar Mitchell. He was allowed to go off the reservation in his later years. Highly intelligent man with an awful lot to say. Really admired him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Insensitive:

Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    I’m told on good authority that after circa 10 days this virus either gives up and you recover with no damage done or it really decides to go for you and you have a 50:50 chance. The PM’s decision to work through his isolation will not have helped. Nor loneliness in Downing St.

This is rubbish, thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

This is basically what happens in Spain and Italy. In Irelnd we have time to do "Contact Tracing" still which really just hits it in spots but nevertheless
    is a lot better than the above.

One thing I find odd is that contact tracing appears to be A very important Strategy used against this.

Should we all not be asked to keep logs of places we have been and people we have been in close contact with? I heard that mentioned somewhere (think dr John) that if we were diagnosed With the virus and could just hand a list to the contact tracers it would really help.

Also think it’s Surely only a matter of time before there is an app on our phones that helps with this. The way I see it Could be two fold. To show where you have been (phone recording your whereabouts) and to warn others of hotspots or if they were near you.

This power would be Orwellian so would have to be deleted when the outbreak finishes. You type in Lucious fox and your phone blows up , like In the end of “the Dark knight”. People deserve to have their trust rewarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I would be very much in favour of heavy fines and heavy handed policing if idiots decide to go out to these places. This is life or death and we can't allow these idiots to ruin it for us all.

To a degree I agree with the fining for beaches. I work in a tourism site and I am bracing for an influx of Irish people this weekend there. Already cleared several groups of lads (20s -30s) this week that were down from the city and the garda are slow enough to respond to this stuff as they are in the larger towns/cities mainly.

Time will tell though. It will be a very stressful week if the gardai don't show some bit more of a presence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Logan Roy wrote: »
    This is rubbish, thanks for sharing.

I've deleted it. Can you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Kuenssberg, "Boris's", best media mate on BBC news now. NOt giving much away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

wakka12 wrote: »
    Only 4 of the 16 people who died today had underlying conditions

Technically old age is an underlying condition. So anyone over 75 unfortunately is vulnerable. The immune system just isn't as strong at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yeh, hazmat suits only!
    ..this is where darwinism kicks in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Maestro85 wrote: »
    To a degree I agree with the fining for beaches. I work in a tourism site and I am bracing for an influx of Irish people this weekend there. Already cleared several groups of lads (20s -30s) this week that were down from the city and the garda are slow enough to respond to this stuff as they are in the larger towns/cities mainly.

Time will tell though. It will be a very stressful week if the gardai don't show some bit more of a presence.

Is the legislation there to allow fining people for, er, going to the beach?

• Advertisement

Kuenssberg, "Boris's", best media mate on BBC news now. NOt giving much away.

Interesting. It’s as if the British media have been told to shut up.

As I’ve said previously - wartime mode.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement