Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

fair play to the women on tv being honest about how she is struggling.

Too many prominent people on social media trying to comes across as fine when you can see in their eyes they are struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Is the legislation there to allow fining people for, er, going to the beach?

Varadker said its there ready to be signed if need be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Drumpot wrote: »
    One thing I find odd is that contact tracing appears to be A very important Strategy used against this.

Should we all not be asked to keep logs of places we have been and people we have been in close contact with? I heard that mentioned somewhere (think dr John) that if we were diagnosed With the virus and could just hand a list to the contact tracers it would really help.

Also think it’s Surely only a matter of time before there is an app on our phones that helps with this. The way I see it Could be two fold. To show where you have been (phone recording your whereabouts) and to warn others of hotspots or if they were near you.

This power would be Orwellian so would have to be deleted when the outbreak finishes. You type in Lucious fox and your phone blows up , like In the end of “the Dark knight”. People deserve to have their trust rewarded.

Yes a diary would help alright. Especially as you could be confirmed positive weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

Drumpot wrote: »
    One thing I find odd is that contact tracing appears to be A very important Strategy used against this.

Should we all not be asked to keep logs of places we have been and people we have been in close contact with? I heard that mentioned somewhere (think dr John) that if we were diagnosed With the virus and could just hand a list to the contact tracers it would really help.

Also think it’s Surely only a matter of time before there is an app on our phones that helps with this. The way I see it Could be two fold. To show where you have been (phone recording your whereabouts) and to warn others of hotspots or if they were near you.

This power would be Orwellian so would have to be deleted when the outbreak finishes. You type in Lucious fox and your phone blows up , like In the end of “the Dark knight”. People deserve to have their trust rewarded.
    Google Maps does this already. It tells me where I was and when based on GPS data. Compare this to everyone else and you can see who was in the same place at the same time as me.
    Problem is not everyone wants to opt into this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Ninthlife wrote: »

He says a lot of things.

I wonder is the President a bit of a blocker, given his outlook on life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭boardise

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Pretty sure people who are overweight are constantly urged to lose excess weight.

Unless of course the absurd PC injunction of 'fat shaming' is invoked.
    There are many outrageous PC terms out there but that one takes the chocolate cream sugar biscuit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yes a diary would help alright. Especially as you could be confirmed positive weeks later.

I always have Google location tracking turned on, sheep as I am, but find it interesting.

What's the current state of the Irish tracing app?

MipMap wrote: »
    I got a stupid theory. No evidence whatsoever. Just a gut feel as to why men

die more than women and it is cos men are normally bigger, fatter than women. This virus likes big people with lots of cells.

That's why China, Singapore, Japan etc are doing so well cos they are all smaller than us.

Told you it was Thick

I think it could be because of osteoporosis, many older women are on Vitamin D tablets. They say Vitamin D is helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

fritzelly wrote: »
    He seems to be the go to man for RTE (and definitely not his jovial self)

He’s been around for literally decades - so he’s a damn good “go to” for British events.

He’s the son of a Bishop and a grandson of a WW1 British army general. So very much part of “the establishment”.

Good choice by RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lwaker.

He says a lot of things.

What

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

He’s been around for literally decades - so he’s a damn good “go to” for British events.

He’s the son of a Bishop and a grandson of a WW1 British army general. So very much part of “the establishment”.

Good choice by RTE.

Did I miss John Snow on Prime Time? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36,106 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

I think it could be because of osteoporosis, many older women are on Vitamin D tablets. They say Vitamin D is helpful.
    That's even more stupid than my idea. We are probably both right.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

This guy on Claire Byrne is an awful waffler. Painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

Ninthlife wrote: »

There’s the matter of the Irish constitution that may get in the way of that.

Varadkar seems to think that we’re Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

Is the legislation there to allow fining people for, er, going to the beach?

I don't think so. Is it even ethical to make the suggestion or is it legal.... I haven't seen the beach in 5 weeks in my area but it is all closed down for cars to gain access but still people are finding there way there and these are out of towners coming down to holiday homes to get away from the cities/towns. At least that's what the cops that called into my work site have said to me.

I am probably being overly pessimistic, I just don't want to dealing with this sh*te at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

You could end up in A&E if you cut your own hair. Jesus christ,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Completely OT but on the vitamin D issue...

I had been double dosing on vitamin D for many months, taking 50ug rather than the 25ug.

Had my vit D tested recently and my doc quizzed it. Way over high.

She asked me if I was on a sun holiday, nope.

Do you drink alcohol regularly? Yup!

Liver damage prevents your body of clearing vit D and also iron.

Just putting that out there for other regular drinkers to be careful with supplements.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carbon125

It is emerging that Italy massively under-reported the death rates from Covid-19. Excerpt from a detailed article on German NTV:

The assumption that the actual number of victims is much higher can already be guessed at by reading the obituaries. Three researchers from the University of Bergamo have now provided statistical evidence for all of Lombardy. They compared the general mortality rate in March 2019 with that in March 2020: "We found that the official number of Covid 19 deaths after evaluating the data from a representative survey among the municipalities of Lombardy corresponds to only 26 percent of all real deaths."

It must therefore be assumed that in Lombardy alone, not only 8905 people have died as a result of the virus since the beginning of the Covid 19 crisis, but, as scientists have suspected, 25,000 already.

In the meantime, more and more unbelievable wrong decisions of the Lega-dominated healthcare system in Lombardy are coming to light. So on March 8th, it decided that "mildly ill" corona patients should be accommodated in retirement homes. A Covid-19 bomb, detonated in the homes of particularly vulnerable people, said Luca Degani, director of 400 senior residences, who had to implement the Lega government's order in Lombardy: "Anyone who would have refused to do so would have lost the funding, so all shut up."

Slightly bumpy Google translation:
    https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.n-tv.de%2Fpolitik%2FWarum-das-Virus-die-Lombardei-so-befaellt-article21694914.html

Original page in German:
    https://www.n-tv.de/politik/Warum-das-Virus-die-Lombardei-so-befaellt-article21694914.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

There’s the matter of the Irish constitution that may get in the way of that.

Varadkar seems to think that we’re Britain.

Mr Varadkar added: "I'm sort of glad as a country that we've been able to do that by consent.

"We have regulations on the table ready to sign if we need to bring in the kind of enforcement powers that exist in other countries, but I don't want to be in a position whereby we're criminalising people for going two kilometres away from their home without an adequate excuse."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Very striking footage on BBC News from a London hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

He says a lot of things.

President signed Act two weeks ago.

It's a Ministerial Order that needs to signed.

My guess is that drafting is sloppy given previous (cf 1992 - Electoral Amendment Act AFAIR) and that the AG is baulking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

No one wants Boris to lose this fight, but it's a huge wake up call to us all
    How is it a wake up call? Have you not been watching the news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Marty Walsh on CNN now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Is there anything Dr Trump can't turn his hand to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Carbon125 wrote: »
    It is emerging that Italy massively under-reported the death rates from Covid-19. Excerpt from a detailed article on German NTV:

The assumption that the actual number of victims is much higher can already be guessed at by reading the obituaries. Three researchers from the University of Bergamo have now provided statistical evidence for all of Lombardy. They compared the general mortality rate in March 2019 with that in March 2020: "We found that the official number of Covid 19 deaths after evaluating the data from a representative survey among the municipalities of Lombardy corresponds to only 26 percent of all real deaths."

It must therefore be assumed that in Lombardy alone, not only 8905 people have died as a result of the virus since the beginning of the Covid 19 crisis, but, as scientists have suspected, 25,000 already.

In the meantime, more and more unbelievable wrong decisions of the Lega-dominated healthcare system in Lombardy are coming to light. So on March 8th, it decided that "mildly ill" corona patients should be accommodated in retirement homes. A Covid-19 bomb, detonated in the homes of particularly vulnerable people, said Luca Degani, director of 400 senior residences, who had to implement the Lega government's order in Lombardy: "Anyone who would have refused to do so would have lost the funding, so all shut up."

Slightly bumpy Google translation:
    https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.n-tv.de%2Fpolitik%2FWarum-das-Virus-die-Lombardei-so-befaellt-article21694914.html

Original page in German:
    https://www.n-tv.de/politik/Warum-das-Virus-die-Lombardei-so-befaellt-article21694914.html

That is astounding, 0.25% of the entire population of Lombardy have died inside one month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

This bit in the Claire Byrne show is so sad.

I miss life in my local village. I'm not much of a drinker but I miss the pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Is there anything Dr Trump can't turn his hand to.

Due on CNN now, probably give a full update on Boris.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,106 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

owlbethere wrote: »
    This bit in the Claire Byrne show is so sad.

I miss life in my local village. I'm not much of a drinker but I miss the pubs.

Yeah really sad, especially those who perhaps may not see their elderly loved ones in person again :( so sad

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement