Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭plodder

How ? They've just demonstrated some of the stuff isn't what has been used here before but is used in other countries and perfectly safe for use here once staff are given the correct training for use. And it's only the first batch.

The stuff that is fully unusable they said was mostly donations that doesn't meet health standards.
    What about the gowns with only three quarter length sleeves? How do you train staff to use them?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0403/1128300-ppe-covid-19-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

i remember tescos was 24hrs for a period in the past maybe this should be the case while covid-19 is around...all major food shops should do this to reduce crowd control..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

To the people complaining about some of the gear from China, sign something that says you and your family would rather not be treated by anyone using any of the usable stuff from China.

Whoosh. It’s the safety of health workers that people are worried about. Not the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Our PPE coherent conference was brought to you today courtesy of the above :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭klose

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just on the supermarkets. I think they can do a lot more. I think they are still letting too many people in at the same time. They should also make it a one way system from when you enter to when you leave. That way you are not meeting people coming the other way in an aisle.

Seems dunnes and tesco are getting it right where I'm living, aldi and supervalu not so much and can't comment on lidl here.

I see a lot of supermarkets are looking to hire but who the hell wants to essentially work on the front line for feck all pay? Doubt they're getting many applications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

It's obvious from the reaction on here that many are unable to separate the key points of the briefing from their desire to criticise the manner in which the briefing is being delivered.

For me the news that some of the results from the German lab started coming back on Friday was important as it would impact on the number of positives on those days.
    However Friday and Saturdays results did not show a major spike in new cases which would indicate that maybe the initial results from Germany are not at the rate of 2000 tests per day which was the figure mentioned for the German lab capacity.

Perhaps the number of test results which comprise the results could be provided each day at the update.It would help those genuinely interested in the rate of new cases daily to form an opinion as to the trajectory of our graph.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Wombatman wrote: »
    Thankfully I can work from home. Have observed all the restrictions so far.

When we rel allowed to go out and about again I won't be wearing a mask on a daily basis, like they do in the East. Not sure if they wear it for air pollution or infections.

If there is a need to wear a make I will happily stay home.

Is anyone planning to regularly wear a mask from here on out?
    Why so against wearing a mask? If it becomes hse and who recommended, I'll wear one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

MikeSoys wrote: »
    should i allow a house cleaner into the home for a few hrs?... is there hse guidelines about this appart from no visitors
    it might be better if you get the butler to do the cleaning

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

plodder wrote: »
    What about the gowns with only three quarter length sleeves? How do you train staff to use them?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0403/1128300-ppe-covid-19-ireland/

Jesus christ that's already been covered, it's a small number out of a massive batch. They've addressed this as being part of the order not suitable and supplier is aware.

Why are people so hung up on a tiny part of the first batch of a massive order. Better to catch any issues now than later on.

At this point I think some people online feel they would be better placed to order the PPE than anyone in the HSE or gov.

If you can't see what was wrong with your comment that says enough about you. Proinsias De Rossa may have had a speech impediment but he never let that hold him back from public life.

I'm very fond of Pronsias, who was always open about his impediment. However the HSE could surely find better than this fella?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

When we rel allowed to go out and about again I won't be wearing a mask on a daily basis, like they do in the East. Not sure if they wear it for air pollution or infections.

Yes, will be wearing masks when out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Is all the unsuitable PPE gear from the first flight that arrived in Ireland from China last Sunday? There have been other flights since then. Are the same issues arising with these later consignments as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Use of gloves by public largely futile

RTE really dont want us to wear masks or gloves.

I wear gloves out and about because when I wear them I dont touch my face. I still wash my hands/sanitise as if I wasnt wearing them. I also dont use trolleys or baskets, just my own bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Dr Michael Ryan (WHO) said 'we can certainly see circumstances in which the use of masks, both homemade or cloth masks, at community level may help'

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/04/03/us/03reuters-health-coronavirus-who.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Another example of the HSE and authority’s trying to communicate clearly with the public.

It’s clear no matter what they do (or government) it will never be enough for some people. This is a crisis and you are never in full control of it. You have to adapt and learn to just try and make less mistakes as you go along.

We haven’t asked any government to prioritize our healthcare system or prepare it for a crisis or improve our Crisis management systems. As such we can have no complaints as a nation, look in the mirror if you want to see who is responsible for the mistakes and things that have happened before pointing a finger at the government/HSE.

I think under the circumstances they have been brilliant for the last few weeks and am grateful for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭Allinall

Naggdefy wrote: »
    I'm very fond of Pronsias, who was always open about his impediment. However the HSE could surely find better than this fella?

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

klose wrote: »
    Noticed myself around my area I'm seeing elderly people out walking who I've never seen before in my life around here.

My Mum had a friend in her mid 70's who has several health issues and in spite of offers from family and neighbours she insists on doing her own shopping. Stubbornness literally could kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Siege of Jadotville veteran 82 recovers from corona virus https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/jadotville-veteran-82-recovers-from-coronavirus-992234.html

If you haven’t see the film, I highly recommend it: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3922798/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Mr.S wrote: »
    What are you on about? Most of the PPE is usable, and where not-usable by the HSE it will be redistributed to other HCW's.

The issue is that the type of PPE has not been used by the HSE, versus poor quality.

Most? Okay well as long as most is usable that's the main thing :rolleyes:

I wouldn't buy 100 pairs of new socks and be happy that 70 pairs didn't have holes in them never mind vital life saving equipment.

Can't speak for other Asian countries but when I was in Japan a few years ago for work I was told that the people who wore masks were for allergies.

As for the need to wear a mask and staying home unless you're self sufficient in food can't see that happening unless you can get someone to deliver for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Naggdefy wrote: »

What about Stephen Hawking? You probably thought he was an idiot too. These people are not tv personalities, they are doctors, managers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

I wear gloves out and about because when I wear them I dont touch my face. I still wash my hands/sanitise as if I wasnt wearing them. I also dont use trolleys or baskets, just my own bags.

RTE don't?
    The World Health Organisation does not recommend the use of gloves as a means of preventing Covid-19 illness and the HSE advises against wearing disposable gloves instead of washing hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Is all the unsuitable PPE gear from the first flight that arrived in Ireland from China last Sunday? There have been other flights since then. Are the same issues arising with these later consignments as well?
    There were actually 10 flights for the first batch. They say it will be addressed for future orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tandey

MikeSoys wrote: »
    should i allow a house cleaner into the home for a few hrs?... is there hse guidelines about this appart from no visitors

Had mine over Friday for a couple of hours. Stayed in the office working while she was in. Cleaned and disinfecting the house so win win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

HSE are the people you are looking at not RTE. Easily confused are you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The average idiot doesn't use gloves right. They touch their face constantly. They don't take it off immediately when they come into the house. They act as if the gloves make them invincible.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Siege of Jadotville veteran 82 recovers from corona virus https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/jadotville-veteran-82-recovers-from-coronavirus-992234.html

If you haven’t see the film, I highly recommend it: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3922798/

The book is much better.

Allinall wrote: »
    Why?

Because he can't say one line without fumbling over words.

Communication needs clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭plodder

Jesus christ that's already been covered, it's a small number out of a massive batch. They've addressed this as being part of the order not suitable and supplier is aware.

Why are people so hung up on a tiny part of the first batch of a massive order. Better to catch any issues now than later on.

At this point I think some people online feel they would be better placed to order the PPE than anyone in the HSE or gov.
    So you knew you were posting BS then. Thx

And who is claiming they are in a better position than the HSE to order this stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

App is at user-testing stage, expected to roll out from middle of April.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement