Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Come on Boris pull through.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭threeball

Could be wrong but I believe he won an election.

No matter what he said you folks wouldn't be happy.

Sadly the US numbers don't look good but they'd be a hell of a lot worse had he not put that travel ban in place on Jan 31st that's for sure, and as we know, when he did, the media said it was motivated by racism.

Just looking at this snippet from tonight and seems to me the administration is working hard to do what needs to be done so why not focus on the positives rather than being negative all the damn time ....

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1247288963003490304

Truth is no Government has handled it perfectly given that the coronavirus has all but blindsided the world (or at least most of it) and for that reason might be best to park the partisanship as it sure as hell is not the time to be trying to capitalise on perceived mishandling of the pandemic.

Speaking of masks, finally got some for an elderly relative in a chemist but they are not FFP2 and so not sure what use they'll be. If anyone knows of an online source for them would be interested to hear of it.

Go watch the press conference in full. A sh1tshow, bullying, intimidation, veiled threats, narcissism, persecution complex. He has the whole lot going on in one press conference. He only cares about re-election. 100 million could die over there and he wouldnt bat an eyelid as long as he won in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

threeball wrote: »
    Go watch the press conference in full. A sh1tshow, bullying, intimidation, veiled threats, narcissism, persecution complex. He has the whole lot going on in one press conference. He only cares about re-election. 100 million could die over there and he wouldnt bat an eyelid as long as he won in November.

Honestly though, I think Biden would be just as bad but in a different way. The US has had a bad luck run of candidates to choose for this last/upcoming elections, at least for the front runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,313 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

No matter what he said you folks wouldn't be happy.

I'd definitely be happier if he just said less stupid shit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Hurrache wrote: »
    Like the doctor on Sky said earlier, even PMs don't get IC beds as a just in case.

Exactly. Many people with serious health problems have never been anywhere near an ICU. It’s very serious if one find themselves in intensive care.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

How many Covid19 patients are currently in ICU at the moment in Ireland?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Maestro85 wrote: »
    The comments under the video.... I am losing faith in humanity. I used to think these sort were just shilling for patreon money and to sell their books but I am seriously having my doubts now after seeing the 5G fiasco. Even Dave Cullen, a man I used to consider a very reliable YouTuber on Irish issues has been catering to this crowd for a while now.

On a side note, I wonder what Jim Corr is up to these days.....

I must test the waters to see if any counter comments are being removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Something weird is happening on the Quays where I live. just across the river from the IFSC to be precise. A Gardai helicopter has been flying around for the last 15 minutes and a paddy wagon just drove by with someone using a loudspeaker. I could not hear what was said as it was a street down from me when used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Something weird is happening on the Quays where I live. just across the river from the IFSC to be precise. A Gardai helicopter has been flying around for the last 15 minutes and a paddy wagon just drove by with someone using a loudspeaker. I could not hear what was said as it was a street down from me when used.

Hopefully its not a suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Hopefully its not a suicide.
    Why would that require a paddywagon? It's not driving directly along the quays and its the second time in 3 days that the chopper has been out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,112 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Some doctors saying it's the ventilators that are killing the patients, it's forcing the collapse of the lungs through the multiple days they are on them.

They say the Iron Lung would be better, as it's not forced air, it just allows the person to breathe as they would normally,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

It appears the UK is fast becoming the new epicentre but yet the ferries and the flights are still coming in. Why have our government not shut the borders like they should have done with Italy this time last month. All ferries and flights from the UK need to be stopped immediately and troops need to be placed on the border with NI to prevent any border crossings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/i-survived-siege-of-jadotville-but-covid-19-made-my-life-flash-before-my-eyes-39104907.html

This man (82) who was interviewed today says he beat the virus by practicing a certain type of breath technique.
    JK Rowling was talking about something similar also on twitter.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Why would that require a paddywagon? It's not driving directly along the quays and its the second time in 3 days that the chopper has been out.

Is this in Dublin or ?

CNN doc saying up to 80% don't make it off the ventilator.

GT89 wrote: »
    It appears the UK is fast becoming the new epicentre but yet the ferries and the flights are still coming in. Why have our government not shut the borders like they should have done with Italy this time last month. All ferries and flights from the UK need to be stopped immediately and troops need to be placed on the border with NI to prevent any border crossings.

I have counted 8 English reg campers in the last week alone, for as little as that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Some doctors saying it's the ventilators that are killing the patients, it's forcing the collapse of the lungs through the multiple days they are on them.

They say the Iron Lung would be better, as it's not forced air, it just allows the person to breathe as they would normally,

The Iron lung is a rare piece of equipment.

It may well be better but there are only 10 in America and probably none left in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

easypazz wrote: »
    What time is Donald Duck on tonight.

I wonder will he be advising Boris to take his new wonder drug Hydroxychloroquine.

Doctor saying it worked when mixed with zinc within 8 to 12 hours. The guy must be getting kick backs.

Danzy wrote: »
    The Iron lung is a rare piece of equipment.

It may well be better but there are only 10 in America and probably none left in Europe.

only because it's deemed obsolete . Very easy to build though.

Doc suggests forcing air into lungs are are getting attacked by a virus leads eventually to the lungs failing and death. It's seen as the last throw of the dice in this modern world. Maybe breathing techniques taught to the patients by experts would be more beneficial

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Ref Hydroxychloroquine aka Plaquenil - The HSE is making sure that people already on it for autoimmune disorders will have their prescriptions filled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

only because it's deemed obsolete . Very easy to build though.

Doc suggests forcing air into lungs are are getting attacked by a virus leads eventually to the lungs failing and death. It's seen as the last throw of the dice in this modern world. Maybe breathing techniques taught to the patients by experts would be more beneficial

Breathing techniques are very good, I was on a C pap one time, a breathing aid, due to pneumonia, did breathing exercises after to help overcome damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Maestro85 wrote: »
    Honestly though, I think Biden would be just as bad but in a different way. The US has had a bad luck run of candidates to choose for this last/upcoming elections, at least for the front runners.

Biden would not have imposed punitive cuts on the CDC and dismantled pandemic detection offices just because Obama was the one who instituted them. Hell, Bush probably wouldn't even have done that.

Neither Ireland nor the US are islands when it comes to this, and our pharma industry relationship only amplifies that. Johns Hopkins and the CDC make the US a huge part of any pandemic response, but Trump systematically rolled back all the lessons learned the hard way from Ebola and H1N1 during Obama's term and then muddied the waters himself by encouraging his followers to believe it was no big deal and behave contrarily to best practice.

There's a list I can detail of all the ways Trump has proven himself uniquely unfit for the moment. As a result a major power which should be an asset in the global fight against a global issue has become a liability. There is no pretending otherwise at this stage and it's absurd to tiptoe around what a huge problem that will be long term. When the US coughs, the whole world gets sick. And the US has done just about everything necessary to ensure it'll be coughing for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    Every night there is about 10 pages all about Trump at 40 posts a page. Can we please move on from it. For people who hate him so much, you watch every single one of his conferences. I'd rather not have to read about it after choosing not to watch it.

Stay off the thread then is your only option I'm afraid.

He is a massive part of the conversation on this.

Biden would not have imposed punitive cuts on the CDC and dismantled pandemic detection offices just because Obama was the one who instituted them. Hell, Bush probably wouldn't even have done that.

Neither Ireland nor the US are islands when it comes to this, and our pharma industry relationship only amplifies that. Johns Hopkins and the CDC make the US a huge part of any pandemic response, but Trump systematically rolled back all the lessons learned the hard way from Ebola and H1N1 during Obama's term and then muddied the waters himself by encouraging his followers to believe it was no big deal and behave contrarily to best practice.

There's a list I can detail of all the ways Trump has proven himself uniquely unfit for the moment. As a result a major power which should be an asset in the global fight against a global issue has become a liability. There is no pretending otherwise at this stage and it's absurd to tiptoe around what a huge problem that will be long term. When the US coughs, the whole world gets sick. And the US has done just about everything necessary to ensure it'll be coughing for years to come.

Small correction - Trump administration. Only in the movies does the buck stop with the president. There is a cabal complicit in the decisions and outcome of any government. Whether he should have been, or will be again, elected won't stop this fiasco playing out. The US put itself on a particular course in 2016 and yes, the world is suffering the consequences and reaping the benefits from it to. I am about 2 coffees shy of being able to process half of what you said but from what you have said I do not disagree, however that is the power of hindsight. Americans can pick their poison in the upcoming elections because nothing will change with a government that is designed to sustain itself in a flawed system that is the only one it's got.

Oh, and please don't take this the wrong way (I am fairly exhausted at the moment) but I had to laugh at your reference to coughing since it was the Chinese governments actions that have us all coughing now. I don't care enough about Trump to be outraged by what he says or does when we have seen that the global pandemic amounts to every man (country) for himself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

GT89 wrote: »

My aunty crosses into the North and back into the Republic 3 times on here trip to work in Dundalk hospital.

Do you think she should be stopped 6 times every journey to and from work as a Carer?

Peoples houses land etc are also spread over the border, will guards/army stop them going from front to back their house.

On another point, we don't have enough army Gardaí etc to police every border crossing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Who has that, have I that. Have you .

Such existential questions

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

Minime2.5 wrote: »

I’m not a doctor but ....
    The vaccine lasts on average 15 years and 20 years max.
    So the vaccine was given to kids in Ireland who were of school age starting in the 1950s right up to children born in 2015.
    ( Bar people born in Cork between 1972-2008 who weren’t given the vaccine).
    So if this information about BCG is proven correct and the best method we have of minimising deaths, most people will need a booster anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

How do we know the long term damage when it's only 4 months since the first case?

It's based on SARS Covid 1 outcomes. Those who survived had a whole host of problems when measured 10 years later. A lot didn't even make it to the 10 year mark also.

So in reality you are right, with SARS Covid 2 we don't know for sure but the long term health outcomes from it's nearest relative were not good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement