Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

patnor1011 wrote: »

Less than 1% of the deceased were healthy persons, i.e. persons without pre-existing chronic diseases.

Doesn't really suit the narrative of the hysteria-merchants.

How many young and healthy people will lose their lives in the coming recession due to chronic under-funding of the heath service I wonder. How many lives and families will be destroyed by unemployment and poverty?

Will there be as many lads crying crocodile tears on social-media for these people?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I looked, most of the stuff written on the page seems to be speculation based on stats. So yep, no way am I giving credibility to odd conspiracy sites that are attempting to claim the virus isn't so bad.

Then you do not understand it at all. Nobody and me included is saying "virus is not bad". Every virus is bad for you even cold or flu, convid19 included.
    It is bad and pretty much close to death sentence for old people mainly if they already suffer from some other ailments.
    Some younger people do suffer too while infected with it but majority of the people will be over it quite fast.
    What we are doing while engaging in this fear p0rn is that many more people will suffer from this crazines around it that from virus itself.
    Damage is already done and the longer this go on the deeper we fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Danzy wrote: »
    The Iron lung is a rare piece of equipment.

It may well be better but there are only 10 in America and probably none left in Europe.

That's at odds with the research done on ARDS and why do you think the iron lung is obsolete in the first place

They are only going to ventilation if just providing oxygen doesn't work

Look at all the videos of Italy, look at inflated masks the people are wearing, what do you think they are

They need to intubate to do the forced air

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

It should go without saying to wish Johnson well. But let's say that ones sympathy is limited, then consider this. Him being ill at all is destabilising for the UK. Him being absent for a period of time, more so. Him dying will leave a political vacuum, time spent on a leadership race, political positioning etc. All taking the eye off the ball, all not helping with the fight to combat the virus, all increasing the liklihood of the public not adhering to advice. All increasing the liklihood of further infections being transmitted to our patch of the island.

So I wish him well as a fellow human being and because it's in our bloody interests.

How many young and healthy people will lose their lives in the coming recession due to chronic under-funding of the heath service I wonder. How many lives and families will be destroyed by unemployment and poverty?

Will there be as many lads crying crocodile tears on social-media for these people?

I doubt you have a better solution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

That's at odds with the research done on ARDS and why do you think the iron lung is obsolete in the first place

They are only going to ventilation if just providing oxygen doesn't work

Look at all the videos of Italy, look at inflated masks the people are wearing, what do you think they are

They need to intubate to do the forced air

The inflated masks are a form of CPAP, an important step to force air enriched with oxygen into the lungs without the need for the much more invasive intubation, which brings with it multiple complications.

Of course there is one and pretty obvious.
    We can protect old and vulnerable while working like crazy to provide for them instead of sitting on arse waiting for government handouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

GM228 wrote: »
    It was confirmed by the Hong Kong Government's Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department.

Here's the official press release:-

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/202002/28/P2020022800013.htm

A domestic cat in Belgium also tested positive late March.

The media reporting of the Tiger in NY being the first confirmed animal is simply incorrect.

These are single incidents relying on a test that, according to reports can be misinterpreted. Given the huge, worldwide, pet ownership I don't think the reports are valid & only cause panic. The Dogs Trust had lots of dogs handed in as the owners "read" that animals can transfer the virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

petes wrote: »
    So we can't wish someone well now (regardless of who it is towards)?

More and more I despair for some posters on this thread including the one quoted.

No. Because one of the postmodern sacred commandments is thou shalt viscerally HATE those with whom thou hast any political divergence. (In the creation of course of a better, more loving, kumbaya, communal world where all humans kinkily merge in the progressive eco-borg mind...) heh :)

Inquitus wrote: »
    The inflated masks are a form of CPAP, an important step to force air enriched with oxygen into the lungs without the need for the much more invasive intubation, which brings with it multiple complications.

Not to mention that latest research found that this virus is attacking ability of red blood cells to carry oxygen. No matter how much you pump in person when their body cant use it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Discodog wrote: »
    The Dogs Trust had lots of dogs handed in as the owners "read" that animals can transfer the virus.
    If I had a magic wand, or access to a top level genetics bioweapon lab, I'd rejig this virus to target the stupid.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Every one of your posts seems to be posing a question.

Perhaps a little bit of thinking for yourself rather than asking to be spoon-fed everything, would do you a world of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Another day, another 8+ hours working from my sofa, trying to keep the kids quiet while I am on my conf calls, maybe a walk with the dog for a lunchbreak. How life has changed in a month or so! That said, while the kids are a bit stir crazy, its not the end of the world, we can cope with this for as long as we have to. I genuinely feel sorry for anyone high risk who lives alone, that would be very hard.

Yes elderly or vulnerable are living in complete isolation going on 5 weeks now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Seriously? Everything they stated can be reliably verified if you take your time and use google.
    Try to shoot the message and not the messenger. Open your eyes and do something yourself other than expecting to be spoon-fed.

The site however has a flaw, it states the average age is 81 based on the ISS report it cites, but the report is based on a mean age of 82 (women) and 78 (men).

Many make the mistake of thinking mean and averages are the same, they are not, for example 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 gives an average of 3, but a mean of 2.

Making an overall average of 81 for male and female out of a median for men and a separate median for women is complete guesswork.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not to mention that latest research found that this virus is attacking ability of red blood cells to carry oxygen.
    Source? There is a lot of "research" flying around at the moment, much of it contradictory, tiny samples sizes, or research bias. And that's in the scientific community. When it hits the media it gets all sorts of daft at times.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The iron lung argument makes sense to me. If the lungs are damaged it must be tricky to push enough air in without causing more damage - think of a balloon with some weak points.

It's been constantly stressed that these devices need very skilled operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

Looks like hydroxychloroquine is no magic bullet and the paper from Raoult won’t be published as ‘ not up to standard’

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/04/06/hydroxychloroquine-update-for-april-6

Also Trump apparently has a financial interest in Sanofi who manufacture the drug. Not sure of what size. I’ve lost the link to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

Wibbs wrote: »
    If I had a magic wand, or access to a top level genetics bioweapon lab, I'd rejig this virus to target the stupid.

That would make this thread a lot shorter!

Every one of your posts seems to be posing a question.

Perhaps a little bit of thinking for yourself rather than asking to be spoon-fed everything, would do you a world of good.

All you do is complain, add nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Many people of 30 plus have a health condition. At first it may be asthma, depression, obesity. Diabetes, heart trouble and others come later.

I don't know what age you are but you will very likely develop a condition. You post as if there are the great unwashed and then you and a chosen cohort of the super healthy, 'better' people.

You should realise that people with a condition are all around you, work colleagues, neighbours, friends, family. By your bitter, boorish posting it's quite probable you have a condition.

• Advertisement

The site however has a flaw, it states the average age is 81 based on the ISS report it cites, but the report is based on a mean age of 82 (women) and 78 (men).

Many make the mistake of thinking mean and averages are the same, they are not, for example 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 gives an average of 3, but a mean of 2.

Making an overall average of 81 for male and female out of a median for men and a separate median for women is complete guesswork.

mean is average

Of course there is one and pretty obvious.
    We can protect old and vulnerable while working like crazy to provide for them instead of sitting on arse waiting for government handouts.

What are the chances of that happening this is running riot through the population when we are able to do a bang up job of protecting all those in nursing homes as it is

Where do we cocoon them in space?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Mingetoad

You seem to be making a mistake there. Mean of 1,2,3,4,5 is 3 . (15/5 =3)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

It's going to be tricky to know does a cat have it or is it just furballs instead.

That's what he thinks the iron lung is doing

They only intubate if that doesn't work

They do it as forced air because the lungs are so inflamed passive isn't working

Source? There is a lot of "research" flying around at the moment, much of it contradictory, tiny samples sizes, or research bias. And that's in the scientific community. When it hits the media it gets all sorts of daft at times.

There
    https://chemrxiv.org/articles/COVID-19_Disease_ORF8_and_Surface_Glycoprotein_Inhibit_Heme_Metabolism_by_Binding_to_Porphyrin/11938173

Bad news for the much hoped for antibody test.

UK government admits Covid-19 antibody tests don’t work

https://www.ft.com/content/f28e26a0-bf64-4fac-acfb-b3a618ca659d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

hawkwing wrote: »
    It's going to be tricky to know does a cat have it or is it just furballs instead.

I sometimes feel the same about myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭893bet

Strong maths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Sure. Now list the number of your family and friends who fall into that category and give us a number. In your own time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement