Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'm not sure whether to be relieved or concerned that some people who come across as clueless in relation to Covid19 also appear to have a loose grasp of basic mathematics.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Whats the point in using median , it's utter crap and tells nothing ...

example the median of 1, 2, 2, 3, 4,78,4589 is 3 .... i mean f*ck off!!

I think the average in the example you quote would be much more misleading!!!

I cannot understand why people are getting hung up on this whole median versus average debate.From my basic understanding of maths there are a couple of factors to consider

As our number of deaths grow the variance in either method will reduce as the sample size is getting larger.

The numbers in the sample size have a minimum of zero and a maximum of approximately 100.

As 75 percent of the deaths occur in the over 65s both figures will be quite close together.

My guess is the average age of deaths will be a year or two lower than the median.Unlikely to be higher but should not be significantly lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

JDD wrote: »
    That would explain the low number of positive tests, but not the extremely low death rate.

If they are not testing people in general then they are also not testing people who die in hospitals and nursing homes for it

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Is that it? Is the answer simply that? Because if it is, whoever in WHO said masks were useless to the general population, should be jailed.

Now the WHO and American CDC are saying makes should be used

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

nj27 wrote: »
    Are there any numbers available for the total recoveries in Ireland? Worldometer has it at 25 currently which seems way too low.
    Think he said 33 yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Well at least that makes sense in as the 4,000 pulls the value up ... an ordered list with the number in the centre is pointless ...

It's not.

5 of the 6 numbers in the list are ≤78. The median is less sensitive to outliers.

A mean of 668 tells you nothing useful in this list.

Norway and Czech Republic, two of the first countries to implement the most harsh lockdowns in Europe, both record just 1 and 6 new cases respectively today

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Now the WHO and American CDC are saying makes should be used
    No, WHO advice is as stands but IF a country chooses to implement it people should do it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

is_that_so wrote: »
    Think he said 33 yesterday.

He said of those who entered ICU 33 had since left, that does not mean recovered though, some go back to general occupancy no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

wakka12 wrote: »
    If they are not testing people in general then they are also not testing people who die in hospitals and nursing homes for it

Yeah, I get that. But surely there would be stories coming out of overwhelmed hospitals and ICU units? I know Asian countries are different in terms of media reporting, but you couldn't suppress that story in a relatively open democracy, could you? Especially given their older population, which would make them more susceptible then say, us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Michael Gove now self isolating. The UK government is falling apart.

GM228 wrote: »
    He said of those who entered ICU 33 had since left, that does not mean recovered though, some go back to general occupancy no doubt.
    I've been ignoring it as a number: new cases and ICU occupancy IMO give a better picture and any day we have a lower number of deaths is a good day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Oh my god, that Gemma o Doherty is a nutcase. Just watched a video that she probably recorded where she was shouting at a Garda saying that he is intimidating people who have a right to be out and getting fresh air. I saw no Garda intimidating people and the only intimidating was coming from her. I saw a Garda car slow and investigate parked cars and that was it. I didn't see any Garda intimidating people.

Restrictions are in place for a reason. To slow the down the spread of this virus that is still so new and so much unknown about it to the health and science professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I think we are nearing the end of this phase of it. Countries all will be starting to relax the restrictions in the next two weeks. Expect to see more waves comes but hopefully less severe as the health systems will be better prepared for it. I'm starting to finally feel positive about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I feel that it's not fair to have a discussion on the mean without also discussing the variance.

*Runs*

Akabusi wrote: »
    I think we are nearing the end of this phase of it. Countries all will be starting to relax the restrictions in the next two weeks. Expect to see more waves comes but hopefully less severe as the health systems will be better prepared for it. I'm starting to finally feel positive about it.

This is as important as the easing of restrictions for all us as we are more likely to continue to stick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

Italy, Belgium, USA => Never had universal BCG vaccination

Spain had it from 1965-1981. So, the older cohort (over 55's didn't get it)

Japan => Universal BCG vaccination since 1942-1950

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Akabusi wrote: »

We might be halfway through phase 1, no one knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭normanoffside

nj27 wrote: »
    Are there any numbers available for the total recoveries in Ireland? Worldometer has it at 25 currently which seems way too low.

Recoveries on worldometer are a pointless statistic.
    They only count numbers who have recovered from hospital (having had 2 consecutive days of negative tests) wherase the huge majority here recover at home with no further testing.

They are using an outdated metric to measure this.

Yeah, I get that. But surely there would be stories coming out of overwhelmed hospitals and ICU units? I know Asian countries are different in terms of media reporting, but you couldn't suppress that story in a relatively open democracy, could you? Especially given their older population, which would make them more susceptible then say, us.

Maybe its just at a different point, not everywhere will reach a peak at the same time. A state of emergency was declared in Tokyo and 6 other provinces this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

froog wrote: »
    Isnt mean, mode median taught in school? Its not rocket science.

I understand it , I just wonder why they are using it when describing death age ..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

owlbethere wrote: »
    Oh my god, that Gemma o Doherty is a nutcase. Just watched a video that she probably recorded where she was shouting at a Garda saying that he is intimidating people who have a right to be out and getting fresh air. I saw no Garda intimidating people and the only intimidating was coming from her. I saw a Garda car slow and investigate parked cars and that was it. I didn't see any Garda intimidating people.

Restrictions are in place for a reason. To slow the down the spread of this virus that is still so new and so much unknown about it to the health and science professionals.

I just checked her twitter, more crazy than I can take in a year everything from David Icke to 5G towers causing coronavirus........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Christy42

That would explain the low number of positive tests, but not the extremely low death rate.

If someone is never tested then they never get counted as having died from Covid. Old people get sick and die without us knowing the exact cause all the time. I mean it is sad but older people are more vulnerable to a lot of diseases and bear the brunt of a lot of illnesses. So any individual case can be given as something else.

I reckon it happens the world over but more so in countries with limited testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I feel that it's not fair to have a discussion on the mean without also discussing the variance.

*Runs*

It's a standard deviation.

plodder wrote: »
    Italy, Belgium, USA => Never had universal BCG vaccination

Spain had it from 1965-1981. So, the older cohort (over 55's didn't get it)

Japan => Universal BCG vaccination since 1942-1950

Why would Spain have a proportionally even higher death rate than Italy then if a large percent of it's population are vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

I'm sure they will do this here too :rolleyes:

"Coronavirus: US car insurers refund drivers stuck at home"

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52194521

GM228 wrote: »
    Average is 3, mean is 2.

Statisticians usually use mean to dictate the midrange in statiatics.

No method of calculating mean that I am aware of produces a result of 2 for 1,2,3,4,5. Usually calculated as 1+2+3+4+5 / 5 = 3. Sometimes 1+5 /2 =3. What method are you referencing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Wombatman wrote: »
    I'm sure they will do this here too :rolleyes:

"Coronavirus: US car insurers refund drivers stuck at home"

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52194521

Jack-Nicholson-lol-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1658.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

I understand it , I just wonder why they are using it when describing death age ..

because it gives a better picture of the age of those affected

simple as that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I think a lot of the Govts work over the next couple of weeks is going to involve softening up Bunker-Bernie and Lockdown-Larry for the easing of restrictions.

Getting small businesses back up and running has to be the absolute No. 1 priority right now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement