Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

is_that_so wrote: »
    The biggest mystery of all of this is why they haven't called on you to rescue them from their failings! :)

he's been self isolating for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

JDD wrote: »
    I know they don't hug each other, but they're all packed in on those trains every morning and the streets always look like Croke Park has just emptied. And their first infections started weeks before ours.

You can't say that they carried out the same process as South Korea, as Japans testing rate is really low. That might explain the low number of positive tests, but it can't explain the really low death rate. Similar to Italy, they have an older population.

And I know they declared a state of emergency for some provinces today, which prompted me to look up their numbers. I just can't get my head around it.

Japan probably has the original Chinese strain.

In Australia there believed to be few different strains, they reckon early on cases that came from Asia were not as aggressive and more easily managed than the latest more deadly cases that came ofF the cruise ship thought to be European.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

speckle wrote: »
    Come on Ireland we can do it keep social distancing or isolation. It can be bloody hard and tedious. We can do it! Do it for all those in hospital, nursing homes, the vunerable, your family and friends, essential workers . And yourself, so you can look back on yourself with honor that you rose to the occasion in whatever ever way you could.

This is so true. This can be a moment we can look back at with immense pride as a people but we must keep up the hard work and yes it is hard. For all this nations faults it's a great country to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Here in Switzerland it seems we have past our peak, for a week or so we were having apprx 1000 cases a day, this number has dropped to 500 per day in the last 3 days, so they are hopeful it will gradually decline however, lockdown measures will not be eased until the figures are under 100 per day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

bennyl10 wrote: »
    That model is very assuring for what we’re doing here

Social distancing isn’t lockdown

Social distancing is very doable. We just need to keep distance

Yep huge difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

ifElseThen wrote: »
    Rudimentary look at rip.ie using incremental id

01 Mar - 30 March 2018 - 2518 deaths
    01 Mar - 30 March 2018 - 2740 deaths
    01 Mar - 30 March 2019 - 2636 deaths
    01 Mar - 07 March 2020 - 767 deaths

Using that daily average for Mar 2020, we'd see around 3287 deaths so an approx 20 - 30% increase in deaths compared to last few years.

7 out of 46 residents in my old man's nursing home have died in the last month, 6 in the last 11 days.

Thanks for this. Very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Nice work. It would be interesting to go back a few more years to get a full picture.

Stuck in a few more years. Range goes from 20 - 30% approx based on the extra years.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If the BCG does turn out to have had an effect, what are the chances of bringing back a full scale vaccination program in this day and age? Seems like we could have a great deal to be grateful to it for, but the Facebook brigade would go mental.
    There is a supply issue worldwide with it, the reason the HSE abandoned the policy. Like other research. lots more work needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Living here and that is not one bit accurate.

Really??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

It would advisable that people inform themselves before commenting. We are told that 2000 tests per day going to Germany, and other labs coming on stream within the country, so if this is the case 4500 is entirely feasible if the the facts as communicated from the HSE are true

My information comes from HSE statements and press releases .

Can you link to the 2000 tests a day going to Germany maybe from a HSE site so we can see that it is true. It would be great if that was the case.

If we have those numbers say for the last five days that would be 10000 tests from Germany and maybe from the last 7 days 1500 a day from HSE labs as they have be hinting, would make it nearly 20000 tests in the last week. Do you think that is credible, I would be shocked but happy if they reached those numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

If the BCG does turn out to have had an effect, what are the chances of bringing back a full scale vaccination program in this day and age? Seems like we could have a great deal to be grateful to it for, but the Facebook brigade would go mental.

Even more reason to do it, to be honest. Mass pissing off of anti-vax loons? Sign me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

The chance is low, probably... a lot of unsure terminology there, so much for erring on the side of caution

sure even the idea of the asymptomatic people being really infectious is if, buts and maybes

**** sake the whole mask thing is to stop sneezing and coughing both symptomatic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Are you for real? Who do you think determines government policy, actual scientists or Karen on Facebook who didn't go to college and thinks 5G is causing corona virus infections?

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yeh I'm a little wary of these models seeing as it is estimated that deaths in for example Italy are underrepresented by a factor of 4, because of nursing home and home deaths. How would this affect the moels then? Italy apparently already has far more deaths than is being predicted by August
    I think we have learnt during this that people can throw out any big figure as nobody will really be able to disprove it. Personally, reckon they have been used to scare people into compliance!

ifElseThen wrote: »
    Rudimentary look at rip.ie using incremental id

01 Mar - 30 March 2018 - 2518 deaths
    01 Mar - 30 March 2018 - 2740 deaths
    01 Mar - 30 March 2019 - 2636 deaths
    01 Mar - 07 March 2020 - 767 deaths

Using that daily average for Mar 2020, we'd see around 3287 deaths so an approx 20 - 30% increase in deaths compared to last few years.

7 out of 46 residents in my old man's nursing home have died in the last month, 6 in the last 11 days.

I presume that if they dies without having a Covid 19 test, then their deaths wold not be included in official figures?

Is the government actually giving any further data like the UK is, for people who died where the death certificate mentions Covid 19?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

BanditLuke wrote: »
    This is so true. This can be a moment we can look back at with immense pride as a people but we must keep up the hard work and yes it is hard. For all this nations faults it's a great country to live in.

But... The UK is a Covid-19 disaster still and we have an open border and no worthwhile sanitary checks at the airport.

It takes only one imported case to restart the pandemic here again.

This is how to defend against importation of the virus.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Lovely. I’m off to the beach now so.

I am actually off to the beach now, well a strand for my daily walk. Beautiful day here in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

gabeeg wrote: »
    This is wildly optimistic.

Based on absolutely nothing.

Facehugger has been right about everything he has said so far gabeeg. On the rare ocassion his posts have been shown to lack substances, he has acknowledged it promptly.

oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I think we have learnt during this that people can throw out any big figure as nobody will really be able to disprove it. Personally, reckon they have been used to scare people into compliance!

Not really in this case, France added it's nursing home and home death total and the death rate went up by thousands

• Advertisement

My information comes from HSE statements and press releases .

Can you link to the 2000 tests a day going to Germany maybe from a HSE site so we can see that it is true. It would be great if that was the case.

If we have those numbers say for the last five days that would be 10000 tests from Germany and maybe from the last 7 days 1500 a day from HSE labs as they have be hinting, would make it nearly 20000 tests in the last week. Do you think that is credible, I would be shocked but happy if they reached those numbers.
    Reid said it on Sunday morning in the briefing a and there was a tweet of a flight with those 6000 tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭blackcard

**** hitting the fan in Sweden, deaths increasing massively every day there, 115 deaths there this afternoon

75 deaths yesterday
    50 deaths the day before

Netherlands has also reported it's highest number of deaths today at 235.
    The Benelux region has had almost 650 deaths today

Belgium included nursing home deaths in their figures today, it looks like some countries are now beginning to do the same.
    Interesting on Worldometer reporting that New York may have an additional 180 deaths per day of people dying in their own homes but not reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

That applies to almost every country in the world with few exceptions. Once we get to eased restrictions those flu' season management skills will come in very handy.

Yep. Numerous countries were asleep at the wheel. Much like financial regulators all over the world in 2008.

They all need radical reform and a lot of new faces.

Not really in this case, France added it's nursing home and home death total and the death rate went up by thousands
    Sure but they are quantifiable, that order of 4 or 20 or whatever infected is not and never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Yep huge difference

What is the huge difference? Social distancing means most office work will still be done from home, restaurants will be open at an extremely limited capacity at best, pubs will stay closed, no international travel, restricted domestic travel....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

production would have to ramped up. priotization of people etc. good to find out your staus now. A lot of the old records dont exist. Or are held by companys. (See controversary re whooping cough vacine in old newspapers.)Gently ask older parents. I dont think its expensive. Have to deal with big pharma so they dont hike up the price. And dont panic if you didnt get it.

gabeeg wrote: »
    Yep. Numerous countries were asleep at the wheel. Much like financial regulators all over the world in 2008.

They all need radical reform and a lot of new faces.
    I think it's been dealt with well in most places given how whole is still known about it. They have implemented tried and tested practices which have worked or are working.

Reid said it on Sunday morning in the briefing a and there was a tweet of a flight with those 6000 tests.

Great, can you link to it, at least this will bump up the disappointing test number from our labs.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

But... The UK is a Covid-19 disaster still and we have an open border and no worthwhile sanitary checks at the airport.

As much as I'm not a fanatic regarding the Chinese government, this truly is impressive. The resources they have available to deploy at will for this kind of thing are remarkable...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

And another takeaway from that video is that Chinese airline crew and border officials actually have better protective gear than our nurses and doctors ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement