Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Boris Johnson 'stable' in hospital and does not have pneumonia, Downing Street confirms

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/apr/07/uk-coronavirus-live-news-boris-johnson-spends-night-in-intensive-care

Good news for Borris.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Sits fine with me as I hope to go on holidays abroad in August.

August 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

is_that_so wrote: »
    Sure but they are quantifiable, that order of 4 or 20 or whatever infected is not and never will be.

It will be easily quantifiable once this thing is over with randomised antibody testing of countrys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭threeball

My information comes from HSE statements and press releases .

Can you link to the 2000 tests a day going to Germany maybe from a HSE site so we can see that it is true. It would be great if that was the case.

If we have those numbers say for the last five days that would be 10000 tests from Germany and maybe from the last 7 days 1500 a day from HSE labs as they have be hinting, would make it nearly 20000 tests in the last week. Do you think that is credible, I would be shocked but happy if they reached those numbers.

HSE bought new machines too, due to arrive next week from a different supplier so they are not hostages to reagent shortage as the reagent is proprietary to the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Are you for real? Who do you think determines government policy, actual scientists or Karen on Facebook who didn't go to college and thinks 5G is causing corona virus infections?

Karen still votes. FG and FF are in delicate positions, how eager are they going to be to alienate the crackpot demo if they can get away without doing it?

The Healy Raes don't get voted in over and over again because of their strict respect for factuality and expert defined best practice.

It was Noel Browne did most of the work to bring in the BCG. He's best remembered today though, for being forced to resign when the visionary Mother and Child Scheme made him a boogeyman to the easily led. And that was long before Whatsapp groups.

I'm aware there's been a BCG shortage for some time, but what's to stop production being ramped up if the demand is there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Great, can you link to it, at least this will bump up the disappointing test number from our labs.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0405/1128580-covid19-coronavirus-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

But... The UK is a Covid-19 disaster still and we have an open border and no worthwhile sanitary checks at the airport.

It takes only one imported case to restart the pandemic here again.

This is how to defend against importation of the virus.

how long can they keep this up?

we have a land border with the UK, they couldnt lock this down when people were killing each other

they have land borders with russia, korea etc etc, they certainly can't lock those down

good luck with that

the UK with probably plateau at a similar rate to ourselves, with hgiher numbers

they are putting on a good show for the TV crews, its reported people are back eating bats sure :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Re: scotland/uk numbers
    Last week the same thing happened, a drop in death numbers on sunday and monday, and then doubled the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

FFS 'Pretty please don't decamp to your holiday homes over Easter', this caretaker government are redoing the parades fiasco.

The Minister Order must be signed today and enhanced powers given to the Gardái, it must be stopped now before the trickle becomes a flood.

An exodus from cities to remoter rural areas is a recipe to reverse the benefits being derived from business shut-downs, self isolation and social distancing. by allowing '000s descend on areas with low medical cover, remote hospitals, and limited supply chains.

By all means allow freedom of movement to people who can prove that they cannot spread COVID-19 to these area, no others.

This is where I part company with support for FG element in caretaker government, with their obsession with the sanctity of private property and individual 'rights' and wilful ignoring of 'social good' caveat in the Constitution.

This virus is doing the country immense long-term economic and psychological damage, it is national sabotage to allow it spread more widely across the country.

We need the restrictions over as soon as practically possible, the government cannot be allowed prolong it's duration by shying away from hard decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,680 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

wakka12 wrote: »
    **** hitting the fan in Sweden, deaths increasing massively every day there, 115 deaths there this afternoon

75 deaths yesterday
    50 deaths the day before

Netherlands has also reported it's highest number of deaths today at 235.
    The Benelux region has had almost 650 deaths today

Damn.....it's turning into the disaster that most of us would have forecast.

This could easily end with the Swedish govt being toppled, given the cavalier way they handled the crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

also lived there, they feel pressured to go to work sick in the first place, much better to stay home

being crammed into public transport is great for efficiency but bad for disease

great bunch of lads though

Really? I’ve obviously got a very different perception on the culture which is completely wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Karen still votes. FG and FF are in delicate positions, how eager are they going to be to alienate the crackpot demo if they can get away without doing it?

The Healy Raes don't get voted in over and over again because of their strict respect for factuality and expert defined best practice.

It was Noel Browne did most of the work to bring in the BCG. He's best remembered today though, for being forced to resign when the visionary Mother and Child Scheme made him a boogeyman to the easily led. And that was long before Whatsapp groups.

I'm aware there's been a BCG shortage for some time, but what's to stop production being ramped up if the demand is there?

You would be surprised by the lack of conviction that will be displayed by the Anti-vaxxers if the BCG correlation is proven to make a difference. And that crackpot demography is surely minuscule.

So no, I don't think any government parties will be worried about what the anti-vaxxers will think when they are balancing future votes against the current public interest in saving as much lives as possible without letting the economy collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52201048

"in good spirits" I find is always a prelude to bad news :( ... it's like a premier league manager getting the board backing.

Really hope he pulls through, will have a huge psychological knock to the nation ..

we have a land border with the UK, they couldnt lock this down when people were killing each other

they have land borders with russia, korea etc etc, they certainly can't lock those down

good luck with that

the UK with probably plateau at a similar rate to ourselves, with hgiher numbers

they are putting on a good show for the TV crews, its reported people are back eating bats sure :pac:

Didn't we sign a memorandum of understanding with the north last week to align our efforts going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Boris Johnson 'stable' in hospital and does not have pneumonia, Downing Street confirms

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/apr/07/uk-coronavirus-live-news-boris-johnson-spends-night-in-intensive-care

Good news for Borris.

Very careful wording to give an update without actually giving much information IMO.

Saying that he does not have pneumonia is a way to say something reassuring while not actually saying what his condition is (could technically be worst than pneumonia).

Same with saying his condition is stable. Given that they never clearly said what his condition was in the first place, we have no idea what “stable” means in practice (again, if he is critical, “stable” is better than “worsening”, but still worrying).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Even more reason to do it, to be honest. Mass pissing off of anti-vax loons? Sign me up.

The anti vaxxers have either doubled down and gone full on conspiracy theory nutjobs or gone really really quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52201048

"in good spirits" I find is always a prelude to bad news :( ... it's like a premier league manager getting the board backing.

Really hope he pulls through, will have a huge psychological knock to the nation ..

Seems like he is OK. He doesn't have pneumonia, wasn't ventilated. Seems to me like he received extra care because of his position. Very unlikely the average Joe would be put in ICU as a precaution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

is_that_so wrote: »

"The head of the Health Service Executive has said that Irish laboratories will have the capacity to carry out 4,500 Covid-19 tests per day, but that this will be dependent on the availability of the testing reagent. "

So no commitment to 4500 a day just a vague promise.

"but that late last week testing had been constrained to 1,500 tests per day."
    So HSE say they are testing 1500 per day.

"Mr Reid said that that German laboratory is now completing 2,000 tests per day for Ireland but that the HSE is "still looking at other EU solutions as we continue to source the reagent supply".

So 2000 per day from German labs is good, if true. That would make 20000-25000 including Irish labs this week over the previous 7 days , I think we would all be very happy with that. We can see tonight I suppose if the numbers are true.
    Thanks for the link.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Very careful wording to give an update without actually giving much information IMO.

Saying that he does not have pneumonia is a way to say something reassuring while not actually saying what his condition is (could technically be worst than pneumonia).

Same with saying his condition is stable. Given that they never clearly said what his condition was in the first place, way have no idea what it means (again, if he is critical, “stable” is better than worsening, but still worrying).

They also say awake and breathing normally which implies he was sedated at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

When is the official day that Ireland’s lockdown situation is to be reviewed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,367 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I would assume next Tuesday, seeing as Monday as a BH

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

By Friday we will hear something, it might well be another extension. There's a NEPHT meeting today so we could get some indicators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I would hazard a guess that it's being constantly reviewed?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I have friends who traveled back to Australia last week, they were made quarantine in a hotel for 2 weeks before going to their house. This is what we need to start doing, the hotels are empty, use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

good luck with that

We managed to keep foot and mouth contained on the island... an airborne virus which could travel for 2 to 3 km to infect other animals. The 2 meter covid propagation is a pussy compared to that !

Both the Chinese and the Russians have closed their border so I think you would get acute lead poisoning if you tried to cross it.

BTW... No one ate a bat... it was probably spread because a bat infected a pangolin, which is used in traditional Chinese medicine.

threeball wrote: »
    They also say awake and breathing normally which implies he was sedated at one stage.

How does it imply that he was sedated. Maybe it's just and update of his condition. He is not being ventilated, he is awake and breathing normally and he doesn't have pneumonia. Perhaps he is getting special treatment and was moved to ICU as a precaution.

Vicxas wrote: »
    I would assume next Tuesday, seeing as Monday as a BH

It will have to be before then. Its only due to run until the 12th. I'd say the Taoiseach will update Friday night like the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Really? I’ve obviously got a very different perception on the culture which is completely wrong

they are a great bunch of lads yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

We managed to keep foot and mouth contained on the island... an airborne virus which could travel for 2 to 3 km to infect other animals. The 2 meter covid propagation is a pussy compared to that !

Both the Chinese and the Russians have closed their border so I think you would get acute lead poisoning if you tried to cross it.

BTW... No one ate a bat... it was probably spread because a bat infected a pangolin, which is used in traditional Chinese medicine.

And cheltenham was cancelled that year in respect of the department of agriculture even though a horse isn’t affected by foot and mouth.
    It ran this year with the uk closing shop the week after.
    Figure that out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Seems like he is OK. He doesn't have pneumonia, wasn't ventilated. Seems to me like he received extra care because of his position. Very unlikely the average Joe would be put in ICU as a precaution.

The average joe isn’t running the country though to be fair.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement