Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

threeball wrote: »
    They also say awake and breathing normally which implies he was sedated at one stage.

or, more likely, asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    It will have to be before then. Its only due to run until the 12th. I'd say the Taoiseach will update Friday night like the last time.
    Paul Cullen asked about this last night and the CMO suggested they wouldn't just come out with an announcement on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

how long can they keep this up?

we have a land border with the UK, they couldnt lock this down when people were killing each other

they have land borders with russia, korea etc etc, they certainly can't lock those down

good luck with that

the UK with probably plateau at a similar rate to ourselves, with hgiher numbers

they are putting on a good show for the TV crews, its reported people are back eating bats sure :pac:

There's very few flights from the UK mainland or anywhere else to Belfast. In fact I just checked the Belfast Airport website and there appears to be no flights in and out. As for the ports, I'd imagine non cargo traffic is low into NI at the moment.

The majority of passengers coming into Ireland from abroad now are through Southern Ireland airports and ports. It may not be a big number, but still they pose a risk if coming from a hotspot. I don't think we can lift restrictions on flights to areas like New York until they have it under control there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

I've just read a poster's comment that suggests "the pandemic could be started off again here by just a single imported case".

I would expect quite a few cases to continue to occur but I would hope that vigilance would limit their spread to manageable clusters.

A news report referred to the "uniqueness" of a zoo tiger catching Covid-19

It might well be unique, until a second incidence occurs, but it's quite stupid to consider it as unique because it's either "not known to be possible" or "known to be possible".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think we have learnt during this that people can throw out any big figure as nobody will really be able to disprove it. Personally, reckon they have been used to scare people into compliance!

Yup. It’s called the ‘Not even wrong’ fallacy.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2005/sep/19/ideas.g2
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Christy42

I've just read a poster's comment that suggests "the pandemic could be started off again here by just a single imported case".

I would expect quite a few cases to continue to occur but I would hope that vigilance would limit their spread to manageable clusters.

A news report referred to the "uniqueness" of a zoo tiger catching Covid-19

It might well be unique, until a second incidence occurs, but it's quite stupid to consider it as unique because it's either "not known to be possible" or "known to be possible".

We have a few thousand cases here. What are peoples obsession with imported cases being worse than other cases? I mean I get restrictions, no need to import more but surely a non imported case could kick off the pandemic here just as easily?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If, as is looking increasingly likely, there is to be a relaxation of the current restrictions, the Govt. should consider bringing Sunday's announcement forward to Friday to allow people to enjoy the BH weekend and perhaps allow some small businesses to start trading again.

threeball wrote: »
    They also say awake and breathing normally which implies he was sedated at one stage.

Unless they said something like "he's now conscious", I wouldn't read into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Karen still votes. FG and FF are in delicate positions, how eager are they going to be to alienate the crackpot demo if they can get away without doing it?

The Healy Raes don't get voted in over and over again because of their strict respect for factuality and expert defined best practice.

It was Noel Browne did most of the work to bring in the BCG. He's best remembered today though, for being forced to resign when the visionary Mother and Child Scheme made him a boogeyman to the easily led. And that was long before Whatsapp groups.

I'm aware there's been a BCG shortage for some time, but what's to stop production being ramped up if the demand is there?
    Factually Noel Browne was the front man and publicist for a policy pre-agreed as the Inter-Party Government was formed.

It continued with a policy of sanatoria building that had been devised by the outgoing Fianna Fail Government, the state BCG programme was the culmination of efforts of a number of outstanding woman and voluntary efforts started before WII.

That is not to diminish the passion and drive Noel brought to the campaign; he had a visceral hatred of TB and especially it's impact on the underprivileged.

The Mother and Child Scheme was another plank of that government, it's demise was the result of FG's conservative base's opposition and not mainly RC church opposition as it popularly ascribed by the modern lefter leaning commentators. cf Irish newspapers of the period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

We managed to keep foot and mouth contained on the island... an airborne virus which could travel for 2 to 3 km to infect other animals. The 2 meter covid propagation is a pussy compared to that !

Both the Chinese and the Russians have closed their border so I think you would get acute lead poisoning if you tried to cross it.

BTW... No one ate a bat... it was probably spread because a bat infected a pangolin, which is used in traditional Chinese medicine.

yeah how many cattle did they burn again, it still spread and there was a bit of dodgey cattle trade going on at the time too

and its something you can vaacinate against

no one knows how it started, those pangolin are boiled to remove the scales which are then roasted apparently

so unlikely it was that, but we might never know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

how long can they keep this up?

we have a land border with the UK, they couldnt lock this down when people were killing each other

they have land borders with russia, korea etc etc, they certainly can't lock those down

good luck with that

the UK with probably plateau at a similar rate to ourselves, with hgiher numbers

they are putting on a good show for the TV crews, its reported people are back eating bats sure :pac:

The troubles was different when checkpoints were targets for bombs and snipers.

Also a lot of farm owners were either sympathetic or afraid of the IRA so facilitated people and weapons sneaking across.

It would be very different to lockdown a border with everybody supporting the Garda / Army.

People forget this entire pandemic started from a single case in Wuhan.

It went from that single case to 1.3 million cases (conservative estimate) in 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

If, as is looking increasingly likely, there is to be a relaxation of the current restrictions, the Govt. should consider bringing Sunday's announcement forward to Friday to allow people to enjoy the BH weekend and perhaps allow some small businesses to start trading again.

I think that might be jumping the gun

Christy42 wrote: »
    We have a few thousand cases here. What are peoples obsession with imported cases being worse than other cases? I mean I get restrictions, no need to import more but surely a non imported case could kick off the pandemic here just as easily?

I agree completely, I think they were talking about after this current crisis ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

The average joe isn’t running the country though to be fair.

Yes but doctors on Skynews etc were at pains to say he would receive any special treatment because of his position and would only have been moved to ICU if it was serious. I suspect that he did receive special care and we will see him out of ICU tomorrow.

There's very few flights from the UK to Belfast. In fact I just checked the Belfast Airport website and there appears to be no flights in and out. As for the ports, I'd imagine non cargo traffic is low into NI at the moment.

The majority of passengers coming into Ireland from abroad now are through Southern Ireland airports and ports. It may not be a big number, but still they pose a risk if coming from a hotspot. I don't think we can lift restrictions on flights to areas like New York until they have it under control there.

Belfast is the UK, they could be just as affected as the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Why is it looking increasingly likely, has something been announced?

EDIT:- Ah, just noticed who I'm responding to.

Nate

People forget this entire pandemic started from a single case in Wuhan.

It went from that single case to 1.3 million cases (conservative estimate) in 6 months.

Happened under the radar though, no one was watching for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

?

Is there even one thing to suggest that?

Lots of hints being dropped the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭tigger123

Where are you getting the idea that there's going to be a relaxation of the restrictions?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

...unless it's digital. :pac:

Belfast is the UK, they could be just as affected as the rest

UK mainland I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,680 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Christy42 wrote: »

Also, most 'imported cases' would have been Irish people. Very few tourists or visitors to Ireland would have brought Covid into the country.

easypazz wrote: »
    The troubles was different when checkpoints were targets for bombs and snipers.

Also a lot of farm owners were either sympathetic or afraid of the IRA so facilitated people and weapons sneaking across.

It would be very different to lockdown a border with everybody supporting the Garda / Army.

not when people live across it, they can't even stop people coming from north africa to europe, if it blows up in the north i will cause problems down here with people trying to get away to the south

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭crossman47

bekker wrote: »

The Mother and Child Scheme was another plank of that government, it's demise was the result of FG's conservative base's opposition and not mainly RC church opposition as it popularly ascribed by the modern lefter leaning commentators. cf Irish newspapers of the period.

Opposition was in fact led by the medical consultants who got the church on board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

is_that_so wrote: »
    By Friday we will hear something, it might well be another extension. There's a NEPHT meeting today so we could get some indicators.

Harris has said that they are meeting today but no announcement will be made until Friday.

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Yes but doctors on Skynews etc were at pains to say he would receive any special treatment because of his position and would only have been moved to ICU if it was serious. I suspect that he did receive special care and we will see him out of ICU tomorrow.

You'd hope he does receive special care given his job.

The effects of his death would he more than just a tragedy for his family etc.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

There might be tweaks on funerals but otherwise this lock down here for next 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

Strazdas wrote: »
    Also, most 'imported cases' would have been Irish people. Very few tourists or visitors to Ireland would have brought Covid into the country.

That's supposition.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement