Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

UK mainland I meant.

and they were doing the same as the rest of the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

If, as is looking increasingly likely, there is to be a relaxation of the current restrictions, the Govt. should consider bringing Sunday's announcement forward to Friday to allow people to enjoy the BH weekend and perhaps allow some small businesses to start trading again.

Too soon I'd say

Some let-up after the MAY bank holiday might be realistic, followed quickly by more relaxations of restrictions if numbers stay stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Harris has said that they are meeting today but no announcement will be made until Friday.
    I'm inclined to agree with other posters on this, with the weekend that's in it, a week's extension looks to be the minimum we can expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Danzy wrote: »
    ?

Is there even one thing to suggest that?

Lots of hints being dropped the other way.

The what’s ap videos will soon start,with pictures of army and Garda cars with maybe a picture of a gun and pew pew sounds included,and guarantees of a 15 year lockdown from “reliable sources”.
    Cue pasta and toilet roll sales again by the greedy swine that showed their true colours the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,680 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Danzy wrote: »
    That's supposition.

No, we have the contact tracing numbers from the HSE. They were able to identify large numbers of Irish people who had visited infected areas and returned to Ireland.

Cases of tourists or visitors to Ireland infecting Irish people would be much, much smaller (limited interaction with the locals) and would go down as 'unknown' community transmission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I believe the containment measures here may be relaxed once it is obvious the number of cases is falling. That will be made far easier if the NI government does what Paisley did in 2001 during the foot and mouth epidemic... recognize that the threat is to us all and cooperate to defend the island as a whole.

If every case which occurs after that, and it's contacts, can be isolated... we are in control of the situation again. ie. no community spread.

The virus needs humans to continue it's spread... no infected humans for around 14 days = the virus dies.

If that stage is ever reached...allowing the continuous top-ups of spreaders from the island next door is absolute lunacy IMHO.

At least that is what I hope happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The news is positive but still going up, it's being controlled, they aren't going to go back to square one over 2 weeks.

The lockdown is causing economic damage but it is less than if there was no lockdown.

People would not continue shopping, working etc if the hospital system was crashed and they could get a widespread virus that would have they drown in their own lung secretions.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

If, as is looking increasingly likely, there is to be a relaxation of the current restrictions, the Govt. should consider bringing Sunday's announcement forward to Friday to allow people to enjoy the BH weekend and perhaps allow some small businesses to start trading again.

Na, we are looking at maintaining this until at least early may. A lot will also depend on how other european countries are doing too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

People forget this entire pandemic started from a single case in Wuhan.

It went from that single case to 1.3 million cases (conservative estimate) in 6 months.

Its a minimum of that in Italy alone. Probably 10-20 million worldwide, who knows how many more cases and deaths there are in for example China and Iran. Also its only a little over 3 months since it was detected in Wuhan, not 6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

paddythere wrote: »
    Na, we are looking at maintaining this until at least early may. A lot will also depend on how other european countries are doing too

Yes, I think so too

To be honest I have a vested interest in pubs opening as soon as possible but I think it will be wise in the long term to "take a hit" for the entire month of April

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Too soon I'd say

Some let-up after the MAY bank holiday might be realistic, followed quickly by more relaxations of restrictions if numbers stay stable.

Up until a couple of days ago I would have agreed - the inclination of Govt is to be over-cautious.

But, I'm actually more optimistic that we will see some of the restrictions lifted on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Theres still several hundred new cases being announced in Ireland daily. Getting a bit ahead of yourself..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I can’t see any relaxation of restrictions until September, they need to work on getting the numbers down.... the true numbers not the BS from 1500 tests per day swabbed 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭tigger123

Up until a couple of days ago I would have agreed - the inclination of Govt is to be over-cautious.

But, I'm actually more optimistic that we will see some of the restrictions lifted on Sunday.

Again, what are you basing this one? What is signalling to you that the restrictions will begin to be lifted?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

758 dead in England. Skynews

From the poster who stated 370 new cases yesterday was a "tiny" figure. Dream on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I can’t see any relaxation of restrictions until September, they need to work on getting the numbers down.... the true numbers not the BS from 1500 tests per day swabbed 2 weeks ago.

Things aren't going to be lifted this week, we'll have these restrictions until the end of the month.
    But September is another extreme of the scale.

No chance

ifElseThen wrote: »
    Rudimentary look at rip.ie using incremental id

01 Mar - 30 March 2018 - 2518 deaths
    01 Mar - 30 March 2018 - 2740 deaths
    01 Mar - 30 March 2019 - 2636 deaths
    01 Mar - 07 March 2020 - 767 deaths

Using that daily average for Mar 2020, we'd see around 3287 deaths so an approx 20 - 30% increase in deaths compared to last few years.

7 out of 46 residents in my old man's nursing home have died in the last month, 6 in the last 11 days.

Why only take the 1st to the 7th? When I do the same for the same date range 01 Mar to 30 Mar 2020 I get 3735. Which I did not expect, as I honestly expected to find there was no increase near as large as you were saying.
    A caution with RIP data is we don't know was there any driver in increased uptake in use of the site this year. Maybe the fact that funerals are restricted has resulted in more people posting notices. Also, there are often more that 1 record for the same individual as someone may be from Cavan for example but living in Kildare, the notice may be posted in both counties. But on the face of it, this looks like more than just a statistical anomaly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

paddythere wrote: »

The public have already accepted that the current restrictions will remain until at least May 1. I think it will be 2 weeks beyond that myself before we see some movement. Hard to say though, the numbers this week will be crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭weisses

threeball wrote: »
    They also say awake and breathing normally which implies he was sedated at one stage.

Can you explain the mental gymnastics used to reach that conclusion ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Smoker, drinker, high pressure job... Would be in the candidates for high risk, I would imagine.

I don't know if being in a high pressure job would have much effect. Stress tends to erroneously be bandied about as a cause for many ailments with little proof. Smoking, perhaps, as it affects the lungs. Drinking... I don't know. Overall. I wouldn't think he was particularly high risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,680 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It would be very hard to justify a total lockdown in a scenario where there are only a few cases circulating in the country.

The situation in early March was very clear : rapid exponential growth of Covid-19 and the major risk of tens of thousands (or even hundreds of thousands) being infected within a few short weeks.

The situation in mid to late May might be radically different.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Really? - That's hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

wakka12 wrote: »
    Theres still several hundred new cases being announced in Ireland daily. Getting a bit ahead of yourself..

Those are not new cases though. The majority were probably infected 2-3 weeks ago. Many are probably cured now. Realistically unless the majority report symptoms, get tested within the hour and get results within the day, then we have no clue what the trends are today, be they up or down and from that its impossible to decide whether to lift restrictions or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lwaker.

Politicians will all be slow playing this watching their legacy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Got my better half to give me a haircut......lets just say thankfully I am not in the office for the next couple of weeks. :D:D

next time they need to make barbers an essential service:pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    758 dead in England. Skynews

854 UK wide - probably overstated, due to weekend effect, like yesterday and Sunday's figures were understated for same reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

lbj666 wrote: »
    The anti vaxxers have either doubled down and gone full on conspiracy theory nutjobs or gone really really quiet.

There's a few groups that have really quietened down the last few weeks. I saw an article in Vice where people who were transitioning gender were complaining that their "life-saving" surgery had been put off for a while. It did NOT go down well. I know somebody whose cancer surgery has been postponed, FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Those are not new cases though. The majority were probably been infected 2-3 weeks ago. Many are probably cured now. Realistically unless the majority report symptoms, get tested within the hour and get results within the day, then we have no clue what the trends are today, be they up or down and from that its impossible to decide whether to lift restrictions or not.

deaths and ICU numbers are the trends that matter

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Deaths and ICU numbers are the trends that matter

Correct they are the only stats worth anything now. The testing and confirmation stats are too old/flaky.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement