Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

Cue pasta and toilet roll sales again by the greedy swine that showed their true colours the last time.

Who were those idiots anyway? I think it was the Thursday when it was announced schools would close. Has any poster here admitted to being a toilet roll hoarder? There has to be a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Why only take the 1st to the 7th? When I do the same for the same date range 01 Mar to 30 Mar 2020 I get 3735. Which I did not expect, as I honestly expected to find there was no increase near as large as you were saying.
    A caution with RIP data is we don't know was there any driver in increased uptake in use of the site this year. Maybe the fact that funerals are restricted has resulted in more people posting notices. Also, there are often more that 1 record for the same individual as someone may be from Cavan for example but living in Kildare, the notice may be posted in both counties. But on the face of it, this looks like more than just a statistical anomaly

Typo, those should say April, updated there. Looking at rip, even for dual entries it only uses a single id. I based my count off those IDs, not the no of records.

Ah yes it's a rough guide I guess as not all deaths would be posted on rip.ie.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

gabeeg wrote: »
    I think they were basing everything on what they knew about the flu.

It's like it took them completely by surprise. Asleep at the wheel.
    G, I would be in full agreement if the HSE were saying this kinda thing in January, but that video was from March, when far more was known and every health authority was saying this is no flu. Yet the HSE expert in this couldn't even get the basic Covid19 symptoms right. Watch the video. He says symptoms like runny nose and sore throat, two symptoms that only present in tiny percentages and that has been specifically known and published widely since early January. Indeed in general the advice elsewhere was that if you did have a snotty nose it probably wasn't covid19. You'd swear he was talking about a head cold.

Never mind the asymptomatic spread which was already known too. The first British "superspreader" was in late January, by mid February German authorities had found one of their superspreaders who was asymptomatic. In Korea they found more again before that. Yet in early March our HSE was advising that if you lived with a potential Covid contact, that unless they had symptoms like a runny nose and sore throat[facepalm] you should live your life as normally as possible.
    is_that_so wrote: »
    The biggest mystery of all of this is why they haven't called on you to rescue them from their failings! :)
    I'm a thundering gobsh1te at best, but when even a thundering gobhs1te like me can read and understand the basics before the HSE appear to, then I dunno what to say about certain aspects of the same HSE.
    pc7 wrote: »
    I have friends who traveled back to Australia last week, they were made quarantine in a hotel for 2 weeks before going to their house. This is what we need to start doing, the hotels are empty, use them.
    Yup and basic temperature checks at ports, but it won't happen unless the WHO suggest it. Independent thought is thin enough on the ground.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Who were those idiots anyway? I think it was the Thursday when it was announced schools would close. Has any poster here admitted to being a toilet roll hoarder? There has to be a few.

They have since gone to ground like a fox.
    They’re out there though.they walk among us.bellys full of pasta on them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

you meant to say they walk pasta us on the street everyday:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Wibbs wrote: »
    G, I would be in full agreement if the HSE were saying this kinda thing in January, but that video was from March, when far more was known and every health authority was saying this is no flu. Yet the HSE expert in this couldn't even get the basic Covid19 symptoms right. Watch the video. He says symptoms like runny nose and sore throat, two symptoms that only present in tiny percentages and that has been specifically known and published widely since early January. Indeed in general the advice elsewhere was that if you did have a snotty nose it probably wasn't covid19. You'd swear he was talking about a head cold.

Never mind the asymptomatic spread which was already known too. The first British "superspreader" was in late January, by mid February German authorities had found one of their superspreaders who was asymptomatic. In Korea they found more again before that. Yet in early March our HSE was advising that if you lived with a potential Covid contact, that unless they had symptoms like a runny nose and sore throat[facepalm] you should live your life as normally as possible.

I'm a thundering gobsh1te at best, but when even a thundering gobhs1te like me can read and understand the basics before the HSE appear to, then I dunno what to say about certain aspects of the same HSE.

Yup and basic temperature checks at ports, but it won't happen unless the WHO suggest it. Independent thought is thin enough on the ground.

you have a serious hard on for that guy, it's ok to admit it, i mean we are all a little horny at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Those are not new cases though. The majority were probably infected 2-3 weeks ago. Many are probably cured now. Realistically unless the majority report symptoms, get tested within the hour and get results within the day, then we have no clue what the trends are today, be they up or down and from that its impossible to decide whether to lift restrictions or not.

We definitely need more clarification about cases, like when they tested. We need more up to date figures.

Eggs is where it’s at these days.
    There isn’t an egg to be got in Connacht and I know full well it’s the pasta/toilet roll bandits that’s buying them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Things aren't going to be lifted this week, we'll have these restrictions until the end of the month.
    But September is another extreme of the scale.

No chance

If you lift restrictions even in a month then you going have more outbreaks and they close the gaff down again so it was pointless opening up in the first place, people thinking they can eradicate this LOL... no way put the foot on the brake and slow it down so it’s manageable. Flattening the curve does exactly that, it squashes it down into a longer timeframe 4-6 months and be grateful at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

And arses as clean as freshly fallen snow.

If, as is looking increasingly likely, there is to be a relaxation of the current restrictions, the Govt. should consider bringing Sunday's announcement forward to Friday to allow people to enjoy the BH weekend and perhaps allow some small businesses to start trading again.

where are you getting this from? If we are lucky with may have a slight lifting for the may bank holiday. Will piss rain all weekend if they do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Things aren't going to be lifted this week, we'll have these restrictions until the end of the month.
    But September is another extreme of the scale.

No chance

Some restrictions will ease soon but not all of them for a long time. There are a lot more infected people in the population now than when the restrictions were first considered. Numbers would rapidly increase again.

Also, this is just the first wave.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

you have a serious hard on for that guy, it's ok to admit it, i mean we are all a little horny at the moment
    I've a hard on for some of the eejits in the WHO too. I'm easily aroused. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I can’t see any relaxation of restrictions until September, they need to work on getting the numbers down.... the true numbers not the BS from 1500 tests per day swabbed 2 weeks ago.

There is no way the current restrictions can last until September. The admissions to ICU are stable indicating we are gaining control of the situation. If the current restrictions last until September the damage done will out weigh the cure. For one, 75% of elective procedures have been postponed, once we hit 6 months a lot of these will become critical and we will have a new health emergency. This is before we even talk about the psychological and economic damage

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

jackboy wrote: »
    Some restrictions will ease soon but not all of them for a long time. There are a lot more infected people in the population now than when the restrictions were first considered. Numbers would rapidly increase again.

Also, this is just the first wave.

First wave ? Please clarify?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Interesting stats from the National ITU Center in the UK

Median Age of those admitted to ICU 61
    50% of those admitted were in the age range 52-70 with 25% under 52 and 25% over 70
    Females 27%
    Males 73%
    50% Death rate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL5qEluaBhc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Got my better half to give me a haircut......lets just say thankfully I am not in the office for the next couple of weeks. :D:D

next time they need to make barbers an essential service:pac:
    It reminds me of a tweet my daughter told me about the other day :

"The last few weeks has taught me, the three things I appreciate most in life are:
    bars, restaurants, and non-essential services"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I don't know if being in a high pressure job would have much effect. Stress tends to erroneously be bandied about as a cause for many ailments with little proof. Smoking, perhaps, as it affects the lungs. Drinking... I don't know. Overall. I wouldn't think he was particularly high risk.

Stress doesn't help high blood pressure and hypertension.

I have a home blood pressure monitor. I get good readings in the mornings and then my readings rise over the day. When I sit down to work on my hobby mainly at nighttime and I test again before going to sleep and I get good low readings again. My hobby relaxes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Hi guys. Sorry if this is a stupid question. I just keep hearing different things. But an increase / surge of covid is expected soon right?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Eggs is where it’s at these days.
    There isn’t an egg to be got in Connacht and I know full well it’s the pasta/toilet roll bandits that’s buying them up.

There is zero issue with eggs in Galway. Not even once and I have seen shelves fully stocked with eggs in Supervalu, Aldi and Dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I can’t see any relaxation of restrictions until September, they need to work on getting the numbers down.... the true numbers not the BS from 1500 tests per day swabbed 2 weeks ago.

By that stage you would more likely be a victim of the riots than of Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Bobtheman wrote: »
    First wave ? Please clarify?

It is unlikely that there will be just one wave of this virus. It has spread too far and wide to be eliminated easily. It is probably here for the long term.

Also, it seems thrives in all but the hottest countries so rather than hit us every winter like some flus, it may hit us again at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

Hi guys. Sorry if this is a stupid question. I just keep hearing different things. But an increase / surge of covid is expected soon right?

the belief was that last week/this week/next week would be the surge in numbers other counties have shown. although we have increased numbers its not what they expected (which is a great thing-- rumoured to be expecting 500-600 a day). so it looks like we might have dodged a bullet...at least for now...

edit: the 500-600 was the low number they expected as a result of the lockdown, i think it was double or triple that if we had no lockdown

There is zero issue with eggs in Galway. Not even once and I have seen shelves fully stocked with eggs in Supervalu, Aldi and Dunnes.

Not the case in Castlebar. Lidl, Aldi and Tesco. Maybe supply issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

There is no way the current restrictions can last until September. The admissions to ICU are stable indicating we are gaining control of the situation. If the current restrictions last until September the damage done will out weigh the cure. For one, 75% of elective procedures have been postponed, once we hit 6 months a lot of these will become critical and we will have a new health emergency. This is before we even talk about the psychological and economic damage

Doesn't that in a way suggest that we need to maintain a tight control over the spread of the coronavirus if there is to be any hope of having the spare capacity to schedule those elective procedures.

If we relax controls too much and numbers of CoViD-19 patients grow not only will we have to work harder to bring the numbers down again but those elective procedures will be put even further in jeopardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Not a hope the restrictions as they are will still be in place in September. Gov have consistently said they know they can only have these restrictions in place for a short time. They aren’t sustainable for a number of months. They will gradually be eased off during the summer. September is 5 months away FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Not the case in Castlebar. Lidl, Aldi and Tesco. Maybe supply issues.

These are eggceptional times....you've got to eggspect delays or shortages :o

There wasn’t an egg to be got in Loughrea or Athenry yesterday.thats fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I've seen empty and nearly empty shelves in both Aldi and Lidl around dundrum d14 over the last couple weeks; intermittent supply rather than no supply. This is first thing in the morning typically, not only late in the day

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement