Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Morpork wrote: »
    Just so you're not disappointed -- Ten what?
    nine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Pretzill wrote: »
    I actually thought the opposite, the BCG programme didn't kick in here until 1953 so I was assuming most people over 75 wouldn't have had it. If anything it might show some agent within that vaccine is key, I'll take any positive news at this stage :(:o

if I remeber correctly one group/company where takikg out one strand/part of the vacine to trial that separetly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Drumpot wrote: »
    For me personally the early threads are a reminder to me that justifys the decisions I took and the anxiety I suffered for weeks leading up to The parade being cancelled.

Honestly, I couldn’t work out how the virus wouldn’t get here and really thought o was going mad. (Can trace back the start of my preparations to Feb 11th). But I was beginning to think that I was going mad. When everybody else is ignoring a threat , you do start to feel like you can see aliens among us and can’t discuss it with people who don’t see these aliens. I Am a cautious person when it comes to my health and address any issues or concerns immediately. I natural disasters and these sort of stories interesting so I can get quite absorbed in information and trying to get factual information. This more then anything probably explains why I might of been a bit ahead of the curve, my interest in the topic , as opposed to anything else.

The most frustrating part in the earlier threads were people who defaulted to ignorance and plain old fingers in the ears. It’s one thing disagreeing with others, it’s quite another to accuse them of scaremongering and over reacting without any meat to your own reasoning. In many regards people just didn’t want to consider what might happen and refused to even discuss the evidence that suggested otherwise.

It also exposed a real blind spot in society. Not to drag global warming or the damage we are doing to our own planet, but it shines a light on how we really don’t give any thought to the planet if it’s an inconvenience.

I certainly won’t pretend to be perfect or any less ignorant then the rest of us. If anything I feel a bit more guilty because I know how selfish , self absorbed and ignorant our species is and quite often I chose to ignore it so I can just get on with things myself. When you truly reflect on our behaviours it is truly awful how we treat the planet and each other.

Another tactic we use is deflection. China’s fault, Trumps fault, Religion fault, banks fault. All these things are facilitated, manipulated , corrupted and propped up by people and ideologies that are man made. By singling them out we do so to absolve ourselves of any responsibility. The issue is and always is mankind, not necessarily individuals or countries. Everybody just looks out for themselves and only point fingers and find fallguy when it suits.

Only reason anybody cares about banks getting loans repayed to them is when banks are owned by state. Only reason anybody cares about wet markets in China now is because the virus is global. Didn’t matter when asian countries suffered an outbreak in the 00s. A significant reason Trump got in was because of political correctness gone mad And the rise of reality TV that’s made USA a parody of itself at this stage.

If you aren’t looking at your role in something , then you haven’t really done your due diligence to figure out the reason for the issue and thus a suitable solution. How many people advocated that Ireland put significant resources into emergency planning/management? It’s all good and well telling China not to eat dodgy animals but viruses will happen regardless. We had foot and mouth, so it’s not like we didn’t have any warnings. If we had put in place, as a country, better measures to deal with an outbreak maybe we could of handled this better. Our electorate determines what they want our government to do so nobody can blame governments.

Not all hero's ****post

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Coralcoras

On of my sister’s GP practice Covid19 Positive patients is walking into shops without a mask - she is not a doctor she’s admin. So there’s confidentiality issues. What would she do - she’s asking me here on messenger. I’m livid to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 38,460 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think the biggest lesson from this is that we have to be capable of being self-sufficient. We have to be prepared for emergencies like this and have backup plans in place which don't need the assistance of other countries.
    We need to be able to produce our own ppe, do our own tests, produce equipment needed for ICU. There's lots more than just this but they are critical areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Gynoid wrote: »

Stayed away then for a while and came back to give valuable instruction on how to clean yourselves in the absence of bog roll with a jug of water, Indian style, and air dry yer arses.

I have done some public service and regret nothing. :pac:

Top tip!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Bobtheman wrote: »
    How long will the lockdown last????

Until we have enough testing capacity for the following scenario:

When we get to the point where R0 is < 1 (where one infected person infects less than one healthy one statistically) we can then start to slightly ease restrictions.
    There still won't be mass events, travel may be restricted, max numbers of customers in shops and/or workplaces will have to be adhered to...but mostly we will have to go back to work to prevent an economic meltdown.

But even work will have to be managed to allow for as much social distancing as possible. Companies that have never worked shifts before may have to do shiftwork to spread the work and amount of people doing it. Other companies may have to have limited outputs...etc ...all to keep the social distancing going.

And then we will have to test, test, and test again.
    Any new infection will have to be contact traced and all those contacts will have to go into a selective lockdown until they are clear again.

This is the only way we will be able to keep the curve flat and not kill the economy completely.

It will be a tough few months (years?)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Coralcoras wrote: »
    On of my sister’s GP practice Covid19 Positive patients is walking into shops without a mask - she is not a doctor she’s admin. So there’s confidentiality issues. What would she do - she’s asking me here on messenger. I’m livid to say the least
    I think she should give the person a mask and a lecture about how important it is in this context. She should probably advise the GP(s) as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Just found this report from week 12 2020. Week starting 16th of march.

HSE say transmission is airborne but masks not effective. ? huh. WTF.
    • this shows airborne outbreaks in hospitals
    • may explain some of the HCW transmission
    • shows what's reported publicly is not necessarily accurate
    508665.png

https://www.hpsc.ie/notifiablediseases/weeklyoutbreakreport/2020Wk12_Weekly_Outbreak_Report_WEB.pdf

Also everyone on here arguing that it is not airborne and to follow guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

quokula wrote: »
    My milkman delivers eggs with the milk, always has. Been no change from usual for us.

I love these 'ah well I'm fine, not sure what you Morons are doing wrong' posts from the Worlds most short-sighted people.

Well unless this Postman lays them himself can you not even stretch your imagination to a point whereby if egg supplies generally dry up then he might not be able to fulfill this order as he has in the past?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

What time is the DoH press conference on at?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Achasanai wrote: »
    Jesus, I never knew there was an abdominal/gastro element to the symptoms (I've heard severe headaches/respiratory issues/extreme fatigue/constant dry cough). I had a fairly severe stomach issue around the 14th of March, but just assumed that it was because of an underlying condition I have. Have had a mild bug on and off since, but none of the above listed symptoms.

Call your GP, though. I had spoken to nurses previously but didn't think to mention my stomach problems as I get them a fair bit, and they weren't as severe as I sometimes get them.

The abdominal pain thing is relatively new info, which is why I assume the HSE don't list it.

I'm going to see if there's no improvement later tonight and then start calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The piece mentions that ‘each nation’s trajectory will change dramatically for the worse if people ease up on distancing and other measures are relaxed.’

Exactly, hence why all this lockdown bull**** will have to last for at least another year/18 months, can't see european countries (apart from Germany/Norway) doing mass mass testing.

Loss in economy should just be billed to China ... let them ****ers pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Im totally confused. We are seeing a surge in Nursing home cases-despite them being locked down as well? Thus are we beyond a surge?
    Or Not
    Plus how long more will this lock down go on for??

This is something I don't get too. We had 59 or 60 clusters in nursing homes yesterday and now it's gone up to 67 clusters, even though the nursing homes are gown in lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What time is the DoH press conference on at?
    Unconfirmed as yet. Go with the usual 5.30 for 5.45 start! Cillian de Gascun will be on, to talk about testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

peasant wrote: »
    Until we have enough testing capacity for the following scenario:

When we get to the point where R0 is < 1 (where one infected person infects less than one healthy one statistically) we can then start to slightly ease restrictions.
    There still won't be mass events, travel may be restricted, max numbers of customers in shops and/or workplaces will have to be adhered to...but mostly we will have to go back to work to prevent an economic meltdown.

But even work will have to be managed to allow for as much social distancing as possible. Companies that have never worked shifts before may have to do shiftwork to spread the work and amount of people doing it. Other companies may have to have limited outputs...etc ...all to keep the social distancing going.

And then we will have to test, test, and test again.
    Any new infection will have to be contact traced and all those contacts will have to go into a selective lockdown until they are clear again.

This is the only way we will be able to keep the curve flat and not kill the economy completely.

It will be a tough few months (years?)

not a runner, we have an open border, virus can't be kept out, we have to learn to live with it,hopefully many will become immune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

owlbethere wrote: »
    This is something I don't get too. We had 59 or 60 clusters in nursing homes yesterday and now it's gone up to 67 clusters, even though the nursing homes are gown in lockdown.

None of them were ever really in lockdown as the staff come in and out. As far as I know none stayed on the premises etc. so it's the opposite of a lockdown. Very sad and unfortunate. Not sure if there is an alternative.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Drumpot wrote: »
    For me personally the early threads are a reminder to me that justifys the decisions I took and the anxiety I suffered for weeks leading up to The parade being cancelled.

Honestly, I couldn’t work out how the virus wouldn’t get here and really thought o was going mad. (Can trace back the start of my preparations to Feb 11th). But I was beginning to think that I was going mad. When everybody else is ignoring a threat , you do start to feel like you can see aliens among us and can’t discuss it with people who don’t see these aliens. I Am a cautious person when it comes to my health and address any issues or concerns immediately. I natural disasters and these sort of stories interesting so I can get quite absorbed in information and trying to get factual information. This more then anything probably explains why I might of been a bit ahead of the curve, my interest in the topic , as opposed to anything else.

The most frustrating part in the earlier threads were people who defaulted to ignorance and plain old fingers in the ears. It’s one thing disagreeing with others, it’s quite another to accuse them of scaremongering and over reacting without any meat to your own reasoning. In many regards people just didn’t want to consider what might happen and refused to even discuss the evidence that suggested otherwise.

It also exposed a real blind spot in society. Not to drag global warming or the damage we are doing to our own planet, but it shines a light on how we really don’t give any thought to the planet if it’s an inconvenience. As the only phrase goes “would you rather be right or would you rather be happy”, in many cases being happy is more important/preferable to being right. So burying the head in ignorance can have its rewards.

I certainly won’t pretend to be perfect or any less ignorant then the rest of us. If anything I feel a bit more guilty because I know how selfish , self absorbed and ignorant our species is and quite often I chose to ignore it so I can just get on with things myself. When you truly reflect on our behaviours it is truly awful how we treat the planet and each other.

Another tactic we use is deflection. China’s fault, Trumps fault, Religion fault, banks fault. All these things are facilitated, manipulated , corrupted and propped up by people and ideologies that are man made. By singling them out we do so to absolve ourselves of any responsibility or distance ourselves from those we don’t want to identify with on any capacity. The issue is and always is mankind, not necessarily individuals or countries. Everybody just looks out for themselves and only point fingers and find fallguy when it suits.

Only reason anybody cares about banks getting loans repayed to them is when banks are owned by state. Only reason anybody cares about wet markets in China now is because the virus is global. Didn’t matter when asian countries suffered an outbreak in the 00s. A significant reason Trump got in was because of political correctness gone mad And the rise of reality TV that’s made USA a parody of itself at this stage.

If you aren’t looking at your role in something , then you haven’t really done your due diligence to figure out the reason for the issue and thus a suitable solution. How many people advocated that Ireland put significant resources into emergency planning/management? It’s all good and well telling China not to eat dodgy animals but viruses will happen regardless. We had foot and mouth, so it’s not like we didn’t have any warnings. If we had put in place, as a country, better measures to deal with an outbreak maybe we could of handled this better. Our electorate determines what they want our government to do so nobody can blame governments.

BRA-VO.

1. Ignorance is bliss/ What you don't know won't hurt you.
    2. It boils down to personal responsibility, which lots of people find hard to grasp. What you hear most of the time is "My rights, etc", not "My duty, etc".

There's a lot of passing the bucket, too. "I'm only following what X, Y, Z said. I'm only following instructions." God forbid we should think for ourselves and consider the consequences of our actions, both on ourselves and on others...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

92664308_2990244431042059_7587143579030519808_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_oc=AQmZR7yEhArM3kNywJyjydjkogiYdd-yTw8zMSlONrseARvBjaZK5_CwgZKYv10iNWYQkskIcI35jwC-nQ1DkdBO&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=0d91edaae1308105598c4580d96830b4&oe=5EB19970

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Shn99 wrote: »

By far the highest case numbers of any country and will be the highest number of deaths soon. Great job Donald.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

So whose looking after the residents? Staff go home, staff live with folk - easy to pick up

What about those waiting on tests - numbers go up as results come back

What if something in the home needs to be fixed - a lift, or lights in the hall or whatever - more than likely some trades man is coming into the home.

If someone dies in a nurisng home - you'll probably have an undertaker going into the home

What if a doctor is urgently needed during middle of night?

This idea that they are on lockdown, hence no one is getting in/out - is silly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

A cluster is 3 or more cases in the same place. Presumably the new additions had 1/2 cases up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,957 ✭✭✭✭josip

Plain only.no self raiser to be got.

Swap 20 bags of plain for 20 bags of self raiser?
    We need the plain for pancakes but we have a few self raising spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,601 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Coralcoras wrote: »

Your sister is in the wrong job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

'One dose of [convalescent plasma] with a high concentration of neutralizing antibodies can rapidly reduce the viral load and tends to improve clinical outcomes'

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/04/02/2004168117

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/plasma-from-coronavirus-survivors-found-to-help-severely-ill-patients
    this is why we need to test test test and get results quickly, so we can find potential donors. the plasma has to be given to the patients at a particular stage in their disease progression.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Cody montana

USA could have very bad figures for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Wibbs wrote: »
    Actually apart from the occasional "t'is only a flu" most people on the first thread were taking the information as it came and were concerned about what it might do when it got into the rest of the world outside China. A few were talking about methods to slow the spread, others didn't trust the Chinese figures, others were talking about how it seemed to be killing manly older people. The first thread was fairly balanced overall.

Fair enough. I'm not minded to return to early threads as keeping up with current one takes time. I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Morpork wrote: »
    Just so you're not disappointed -- Ten what?

Thanks.

But I won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,460 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Amirani wrote:
    By far the highest case numbers of any country and will be the highest number of deaths soon. Great job Donald.
    Varadkar hasn't done a great job either, or Conte, or Macron or Sanchez but I don't see any post from you about any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Expecting big US numbers today. NY already in with 731 deaths up from 599 yesterday. Many of the states posting big numbers still to come in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement