Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Level 42 wrote: »
    Most in one day is it fcukin brutal

No it’s not,
    It’s going to go up for a few days
    We all know this

Cases also not shooting up.

Today’s stats aren’t awful

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Restrictions will stay, I'd say. About 6.5% increase on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Deaths are not good news but people need to be aware and prepared that there are going to be deaths and increasingly so.

Every country has had deaths and its harrowing but we aren't going to get news yet that there are no new deaths per day.

I hate that we have to accept that but we do.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

easypazz wrote: »
    Well on a pro rata basis it would be 56 to be same as UK today.

There's a bit of a blip in the UK figures though. They are catching up some of the weekend figures. Nicola Sturgeon said there was an issue with reporting deaths over the weekend - only 4 reported in Scotland on Saturday and Sunday, but 74 today. If this is replicated across the UK it'es better to compare 3 day aggregates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,233 ✭✭✭plodder

^ Wot he said. 36 is grim, but what were the numbers for weekend? They could be under-reported over the weekend, only catching up today maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Id expect a realistic hope for a toning down on restrictions is the last week in April...or they may wait until after the May Bank Holiday...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »
    Restrictions will stay, I'd say. About 6.5% increase on the day.

Of course they will, another 2 weeks of these ones.

I'd expect massive garda checkpoints this weekend on the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

New Zealand seems to be the model for combating the virus.
    Prime Minister Jacinda Arden seems to have made the right approach.

1106 cases and only 1 death

Washington Post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

harr wrote: »
    Sure that’s ok then it’s only old people[/QUIET]

Ok would be for nobody to get infected in Ireland and nobody to die.

But its here and we must play the hand we have been dealt, and overall, things are ok, relative to other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

harr wrote: »
    Sure that’s ok then it’s only old people

So you can't counter my point.
    Run along now troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

I know 36 deaths in a day is a lot but we are probably around our peak. Also our new daily cases is steady and possibly in decline. We are in a good position and probably on track to loosen some restrictions at over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,806 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The parks are going to be rammed this weekend if the weather is good let's be honest....not good.
    I will be walking the dog as usual but maybe earlier and later and an odd route, luckily beside war memorials (which will be busy I would think so will avoid) and Phoenix park, which won't be too bad as closed to cars.

Anyone care to comment on how they expect restrictions to be relaxed by Sunday? Tumbleweeds. And 36 deaths is an appalling figure, those who consider it "not too bad" need a boot up the backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

In what world is that an okay number?

Maybe I'm just getting immune to all these numbers and statistics but actually thought myself that wasn't a bad number when it came up on my screen, I've been preparing for a "surge" to come where as this seems like a steady, consistent increase in line with the numbers testing positive, which while not good, is not as bad as we've seen in other countries.

I'd say it's "okay", not good but not as bad as it could be when we see the scenes that have unfolded in Italy and Spain. I think it's very much so, okay.

RIP to the 36 and to each of the families behind each of those numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It's elderly people from care homes.
    You do realize dozen of people in nursing homes die everyday in every country of the world regardless of any virus.

About 76 people die in Ireland every day. Even if every single death was a 98 year old on deaths door step 36 more in a day is a shocking number no matter their age or health. Would you ever cop on !

Anyone care to comment on how they expect restrictions to be relaxed by Sunday? Tumbleweeds. And 36 deaths is an appalling figure, those who consider it "not too bad" need a boot up the backside.
    Not a hope.
    It will be similar to restrictions now for another 4 weeks would be my guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Great to see new cases are down again. Looks like we have peaked in terms of new cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

But if this is the peak and its 36 deaths a day isnt that "not too bad" relative to the apocalyptic predictions a few weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Ffs 8 year olds asking when will the zoo reopen ,, surely these reporters can come up with better questions like about anti viral drugs or vaccines we already have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

signostic wrote: »

Washington Post

New Zealand are very isolated though. It's 3 1/2 hours flight to Australia.

We are 30 minutes from the UK, 90 minutes from gigantic travel hubs such as Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Zurich that still had multiple flights from China daily weeks after Hubei lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

gmisk wrote: »
    Not a hope.
    It will be similar to restrictions now for another 4 weeks would be my guess.

And if the usual idiots are out this week expect more restrictions (well they're already out)

signostic wrote: »

Washington Post
    Really severe restrictions, including people coming in on flights and it seems to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

How all of a sudden do people think we Are at a peak we were a few weeks behind italy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Compared to UK today we would be 56.

It is not an appalling figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I know 36 deaths in a day is a lot but we are probably around our peak. Also our new daily cases is steady and possibly in decline. We are in a good position and probably on track to loosen some restrictions at over the next few weeks.

This is the type of crap that needs to stop - how do you come to the conclusion that we are probably around our peak? Serioius question?

New daily cases are steady and possiblity in decline - because of issues getting tests done and results back,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

We have now passed out the USA and Sweden on testing.

508672.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Restrictions aren’t going to be reduced
    We have at least 2 more weeks of this.

36 is not appalling. It was expected and should not be seen as a shock.

We are getting near out CMO predicted peak. The death numbers are going to go up. This is going to be the next few days

Were people thinking 10 deaths and that would be it?
    Look at every country that’s been hit!

We are still going very very wel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lwaker.

How will we be in comparison to UK over the longer term

They seem to have roughly double per capita deaths atm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I like Tony. He's calling bullsh1t on an earlier news piece saying something about 400 deaths by summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement