Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

How all of a sudden do people think we Are at a peak we were a few weeks behind italy

This is exactly what I was thinking today. But I'd be shot down if I said anything negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

rossie1977 wrote: »
    New Zealand are very isolated though. It's 3 1/2 hours flight to Australia.

We are 30 minutes from the UK, 90 minutes from gigantic travel hubs such as Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Zurich that still had multiple flights from China daily weeks after Hubei lockdown

We're .00001 seconds from the UK. The same UK wide measures apply in NI, as lax as they were when it began.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

gmisk wrote: »
    The parks are going to be rammed this weekend if the weather is good let's be honest....not good.
    I will be walking the dog as usual but maybe earlier and later and an odd route, luckily beside war memorials (which will be busy I would think so will avoid) and Phoenix park, which won't be too bad as closed to cars.

Would not be surprised to see garda cars at most parks and clearing people out along with checkpoints on major roads. They'll be well prepared for this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Ace2007 wrote: »
    This is the type of crap that needs to stop - how do you come to the conclusion that we are probably around our peak? Serioius question?

New daily cases are steady and possiblity in decline - because of issues getting tests done and results back,

Becuase our health officials so. Last week

This is coming from informed people.

Also there comes a point when we have to stop saying the decline in cases is becuase of low test numbers.
    We have tests coming back from Germany. We’re a few days back, not 2 months.

This is a sign of actual measures starting to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,115 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The 350 roughly cases every single day is a worry ... what is the hidden message in that?

Not testing enough ? Makes no sense those constant numbers. No spike, no dip, just constant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

This is the type of crap that needs to stop - how do you come to the conclusion that we are probably around our peak? Serioius question?

New daily cases are steady and possiblity in decline - because of issues getting tests done and results back,

ICU beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

easypazz wrote: »
    Compared to UK today we would be 56.

It is not an appalling figure.

UK today is at 93 deaths per million. Ireland is at 42.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

callaway92 wrote: »
    Chief Scientific Officer in the UK saying it's possible the country is seeing the beginning of change in regards to the curve flattening.

It's absolute guff like that that pisses me off.. They're making a mess of it and are skewing numbers.

Yeah.
    Surely the peak will be first noticed after it comes.
    In retrospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,944 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

bennyl10 wrote: »
    No it’s not,
    It’s going to go up for a few days
    We all know this

Cases also not shooting up.

Today’s stats aren’t awful

They’re awful if you’re related to one of them.
    Obviously you’re not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

How all of a sudden do people think we Are at a peak we were a few weeks behind italy

We're not comparable to Italy. This has been established many times. We're not going to end up like Lombardy. People need to get this into their heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I know 36 deaths in a day is a lot but we are probably around our peak. Also our new daily cases is steady and possibly in decline. We are in a good position and probably on track to loosen some restrictions at over the next few weeks.

We are not near the peak for deaths unfortunately.

This is exactly what I was thinking today. But I'd be shot down if I said anything negative.

Perhaps we are doing a better job than Italy?

Lower population density helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The 350 roughly cases every single day is a worry ... what is the hidden message in that?

Not testing enough ? Makes no sense those constant numbers. No spike, no dip, just constant
    Testing is finding 19% positive but it's generally a lower % increase day on day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Vast majority of these cases are 2 weeks old and would have already been self isolating.

We'll only see later this week and next the effects of the restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

owlbethere wrote: »
    I like Tony. He's calling bullsh1t on an earlier news piece saying something about 400 deaths by summer!.

Sounds like the title of a film or something

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

By what metric?

Are you saying daily deaths will be like 40, 50, 60 per day soon?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Looking at the UK update, they mentioned that it's an "international standard" to report deaths from those tested positive in hospital environment, so the Office of National Statistics are separately pulling together figures to include those not tested positive but where it is mentioned on death certificates

What this suggests is everyone (including the UK and Ireland) is understating deaths, but for the same reasons. Maybe the standards need changing, but it does at least suggest some consistency between countries in how they report deaths

I suspect that's also the reason median age is reported - presumably this is all laid out in WHO guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

UK today is at 93 deaths per million. Ireland is at 42.

UK only counting deaths in hospital ICUs too. Ireland counting deaths elsewhere like nursing homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Does anyone know why they swap out the sign language interpreter half way through the briefing?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

ICU beds.

Those in nursing homes who test positive aren't going to hospitals - so the ICU beds aren't be filled by elderly people - so it's not really possible to tell from the ICU figures alone.

• Advertisement

flynnlives wrote: »
    GP's have alot to answer for in regards testing. When the HSE relaxed the criteria and allowed GP's to refer people to get swabbed we quickly had 40k people looking for swabs.
    GP's refereed anyone with a runny nose for a swab.

They also need to answer for the trolley crisis. This pandemic has shown us that we dont have a trolley crisis, we have a primary care crisis. We've GP's referring any ailment to the emergency department.
    The week before the pubs were closed the HSE issued a warning to not attend the emergency unless absolute necessary. Within days the trolley count reduced by nearly 70%.

Mention of the trolley crisis has disappeared from the media. Were did all the supposedly sick people go?

A few have sadly died of heart attacks etc, but of course a whole lot of a&e attendance is a result of excessive alcohol intake, especially out and about where accidents happen and mixed with drugs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

2/3rds of cases are coming from community spread. Our cfr is nearly 4%. Given the measures we've had in place for nearly a month I don't share the optimism of some on here.

Our daily cases seem to be following a fairly stable trajectory which would indicate its more down to testing parameters than mitigation.

Our deaths are anything but steady unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Does anyone know why they swap out the sign language interpreter half way through the briefing?
    It requires a high level of concentration, they get tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

Absolutely making that up you haven't a clue I don't either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

The amount of positive posts all over social media about how we are coming out this and how we be should easing restrictions after the weekend has put people into a false sense of ease.
    Yes we are doing better than a lot of countries but to be honest I don’t really care about other countries only what’s happening here .
    36 dead might not seem huge in the grand scheme of things but for 36 people to die in one day in Ireland from one cause is a big deal ... 36 people dying without family around them and 36 funerals where families won’t be able or say goodbye properly..
    I think many of us have become sanitised to the pain this virus is causing to many.
    A lot of us know or will shortly know people who are infected and more than likely a lot us will know people who will die ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

It requires a high level of concentration, they get tired.

Oh right, good to know. I didn’t think about that!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

By what metric?

Are you saying daily deaths will be like 40, 50, 60 per day soon?
    I really do not think anyone can say, and it's probably inappropriate to speculate over numbers. As I've just indicated, the "official" numbers are only painting part of the picture here, and to some extent the mentioned figures are not indicative of the real position

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

RIP to the 36 people who died

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

I have a medical problem which requires blood tests. I rang my gp but they are closed. He advised me to go to A and E. This will be my third visit in a couple of weeks. I this risky?

• Advertisement

Those in nursing homes who test positive aren't going to hospitals - so the ICU beds aren't be filled by elderly people - so it's not really possible to tell from the ICU figures alone.

Yes indeed frail elderly would not be considered for ventilation, although in some cases Non Invasive Ventilation may be used.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement