Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Does anyone know why they swap out the sign language interpreter half way through the briefing?
    Can be very tiring, and mentally taxing

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Of course they will, another 2 weeks of these ones.

I'd expect massive garda checkpoints this weekend on the roads
    Without the necessary powers for Gardaí they won't be that effective, determined 'breakers' will just work their way around them.

The extra powers for the Gardaí were passed by the Oireachtas, and signed by the President on 20th March.
    That's over two weeks ago, why have they still not been put into effect by Minister Harris?

This caretaker government is sitting on it's hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,585 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

owlbethere wrote: »
    I like Tony. He's calling bullsh1t on an earlier news piece saying something about 400 deaths by summer.

We already have over 200 deaths now

RIP today's 36

No Covid19 in any Irish prisons

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It requires a high level of concentration, they get tired.
    It was mentioned in an earlier thread - would guess somewhere between no III and IX....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Does anyone know why they swap out the sign language interpreter half way through the briefing?

lol i wondered that too. the first time i noticed it i thought maybe the guy was a bad signer and they had to sub him off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

How could the numbers be going up when weve all been stuck in since before paddy's day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

An increase in deaths tells us one thing, there is a bit to go here.

I look forward to having 3 consecutive days with deaths decreasing, that will be a good sign, but a bit off me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Yes indeed frail elderly would not be considered for ventilation, although in some cases Non Invasive Ventilation may be used.

I was more pointing out that they aren't getting into the hospital setting in the first place. Therefore saying the ICU number is stable/declining, when a certain cohort of the population isn't been admitted is misleading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Level 42 wrote: »
    How could the numbers be going up when weve all been stuck in since before paddy's day

I can only think of family infections and health worker contamination to others

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

People need to be realistic.
    The damage is already done with regards to nursing homes.
    There is likely 100 or more in icu already who won't recover due to the combination of their age and health.
    Of course it's terrible and not acceptable but there is no way to reverse this now.

Once this is under control the numbers of deaths will fall off completely.
    It depends how honest the HSE are with us about whether they are getting that situation under control.

• Advertisement

noticed a lot more people out and about today with the sun out. i'd be very worried for the bank holiday weekend.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

If we hadn't been staying in, the numbers would be going up exponentially i.e. 300 one day, 500 the next, 750, 1100, 1500 etc. If they are all in the same ballpark each day, the curve is flattening, which is what was what staying in was intended to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

2/3rds of cases are coming from community spread. Our cfr is nearly 4%. Given the measures we've had in place for nearly a month I don't share the optimism of some on here.

Our daily cases seem to be following a fairly stable trajectory which would indicate its more down to testing parameters than mitigation.

Our deaths are anything but steady unfortunately.

This is something that concerns me too. Schools closed down the week around about the 13th of March. Pubs closed by Monday the 16th. No parades or large gatherings. Further restrictions announced on the 20th of March.

We've been on some from of lockdown for a few weeks now. Are cases are still climbing.

The community spread is quite worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

if 99% of Ireland's population stayed indoor, it still leave around 50,000 people ingonring the rules, that's a huge number....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The results being shown now are from people that got tested two weeks ago (ish) so many of those may have gotten infected before the original shutdown

dr henry is well able to field questions in fairness to him. odd looking duck, but competent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Idiocy (specifically idiocy about the nature of exponential growth) could well have grave consequences yet

• Registered Users Posts: 25,452 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Of the people diagnosed the disease has proved fatal for just 3.67% for people here.

5709 people diagnosed

210 deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Re this coming weekend and indeed right now, for example the Phoenix Park is open to traffic on the main artery from Parkgate to Castleknock.
    Nothing on the website about restricted parking either, or if the side roads are open or closed off. Foot traffic open to all.

Don't get me wrong, it is a fantastic amenity, and is huge, but I wonder how packed it will be in the coming days with the nice weather and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

A few have sadly died of heart attacks etc, but of course a whole lot of a&e attendance is a result of excessive alcohol intake, especially out and about where accidents happen and mixed with drugs etc.

drop in trolley numbers started to happen before the pubs where closed.

Gp's stopped referring people to emergency departments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭spookwoman

For ranking on tests we went from 37 to 35

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Despite the general positivity the testing is still a mess.

7-10 days to get a test according to Cillian and 'not sure' how long to get a result.

Whats the point of giving people a test nearly 2 weeks after they need it?
    No wonder there are so many negatives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We haven't really have we. Every day people go to work, go shopping , go walking, go to the pharmacy, make essential family visits and the nursing homes are riddled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

froog wrote: »
    noticed a lot more people out and about today with the sun out. i'd be very worried for the bank holiday weekend.

Out and about won't cause spread.

Once social distancing is observed then I don't its worth getting concerned about it.

Peoples mental health is important too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Makes no sense those constant numbers. No spike, no dip, just constant

FFS! Don't you know what Flattening the Curve means? This is the very scenario we aimed for from the start. As flat a curve on new cases as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Jesus this journalist asking the tough questions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

With other EU countries looking to ease restrictions, is that a cause for optimism here in the coming weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Who's this journalist?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

froog wrote: »

Noticed that myself yesterday. Had to venture to Dunnes and en route there was a lot of folks out and about...and this was around 3:30

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Would not be surprised to see garda cars at most parks and clearing people out along with checkpoints on major roads. They'll be well prepared for this

I think the Gardai (and possibly the army if numbers are needed) need to adopt a much stronger approach. It's obvious that there is a portion of the population here for whom the softly softly approach clearly doesn't work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement